priests and blessings
I find my priest partied with paladins quite a bit and so I am wondering what blessings other priests prefer in these situations. I usually tell the paladin that I prefer salvation. I feel that not getting hit saves mana from healing myself and also just makes fight go better. Occasionally I will run into paladins who don't agree though and insist on putting wisdom on me. I don't really mind this too much since its still a good blessing and I actually do prefer it when I am oom (just not at the start of a fight when I may end up healing alot), so I usually don't argue the point with them. Still, it makes me wonder what everyone else thinks about blessings for priests. The three main ones would be salvation, wisdom, and kings. So, my fellow priests, what do you prefer? Btw, my build is much like the LastToDie build. Holy up to subtlety, shadow up to improved fade, rest in discipline...in case that influences which one you like.
All my priests get Might.

;)

Squishies get Salvation unless they ask for Wisdom. Maintank gets either Blessing of Light or Blessing of Sanctuary. Rogues get Salvation unless there is already another paladin giving them Salvation. Then they get Sanctuary.
Tal,May 8 2005, 03:42 PM Wrote:All my priests get Might.
;)

Squishies get Salvation unless they ask for Wisdom. Maintank gets either Blessing of Light or Blessing of Sanctuary. Rogues get Salvation unless there is already another paladin giving them Salvation. Then they get Sanctuary.
[right][snapback]76652[/snapback][/right]

I usually give my priests Protection. :shuriken:

Salvation on my finger-wigglers. Might for Warriors- rather they hold aggro than take 5 less damage a hit (stupid mitigation cap), Might for Rogues unless they really have issues controlling their aggro (at which point I stop casting Might on the warriors and let the rogues tank - more fun that way), Might for hunters unless they ask for wisdom - which only half a dozen ever have.

Wisdom for myself.

I really only use sanctuary if there's another paladin blessing my group, or I feel like blessing multiple parties on a raid. Sacrifice is generally a better choice for anything risky enough to motivate me to change the warrior's blessing.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,May 8 2005, 09:25 PM Wrote:I usually give my priests Protection.  :shuriken:

Salvation on my finger-wigglers. Might for Warriors- rather they hold aggro than take 5 less damage a hit (stupid mitigation cap), Might for Rogues unless they really have issues controlling their aggro (at which point I stop casting Might on the warriors and let the rogues tank - more fun that way), Might for hunters unless they ask for wisdom - which only half a dozen ever have.

Wisdom for myself.

I really only use sanctuary if there's another paladin blessing my group, or I feel like blessing multiple parties on a raid. Sacrifice is generally a better choice for anything risky enough to motivate me to change the warrior's blessing.
[right][snapback]76656[/snapback][/right]

Sure you want to cast protection? It only lasts 6 seconds and has a five minute cool down. ;)

Also Might on hunters right now does not increase their ranged damage. Wisdom is the way to go for them.
Tal,May 8 2005, 06:42 PM Wrote:All my priests get Might.
;)

I usually just give people the blessings they ask for. usually at the start of a group i'll ask the key people what they prefer and stick to that. Hell, even if a priest asked for might i would give it to them. Then i'd just wait for something to go wrong and hold it over their head. Yeah, i'm passive aggressive i admit it, but if a priest asks for might they deserve to get beat over the head with it :P
In my experience, Priests have a good number of ways to shed aggro and protect themselves, so Wisdom is generally what I prefer. If I get hit, I can use fade, shield, desperate prayer, maybe even scream. Sometimes I just take the hits (if it's not too bad) and then bandage myself when the tank taunts a mob off me.

Druids may prefer the threat-reducing blessing since they have less ways to protect themselves and remove threat.

Mages should probably get the threat-reducer regardless, or they will end up tanking. :)
swirly,May 8 2005, 02:07 PM Wrote:I find my priest partied with paladins quite a bit and so I am wondering what blessings other priests prefer in these situations.  I usually tell the paladin that I prefer salvation.  I feel that not getting hit saves mana from healing myself and also just makes fight go better.  Occasionally I will run into paladins who don't agree though and insist on putting wisdom on me.  I don't really mind this too much since its still a good blessing and I actually do prefer it when I am oom (just not at the start of a fight when I may end up healing alot), so I usually don't argue the point with them.  Still, it makes me wonder what everyone else thinks about blessings for priests.  The three main ones would be salvation, wisdom, and kings.  So, my fellow priests, what do you prefer?  Btw, my build is much like the LastToDie build.  Holy up to subtlety, shadow up to improved fade, rest in discipline...in case that influences which one you like.
[right][snapback]76642[/snapback][/right]
For me, it depends on if the tank is good or not. If I'm behind a warrior who makes sure there's a sunder on every mob as it comes in (so the pally is the off-tank), Wisdom. They should have aggro locked down tight - fade should do what I need. If I'm behind a Paladin who thinks focused fire is a tank tactic, salvation (or, possibly just find a new group).
Tal,May 8 2005, 07:42 PM Wrote:Rogues get Salvation unless there is already another paladin giving them Salvation.

Hah! I remember when you did differently! First time I was in an instance with Tal, he gave me Blessing of Might. For the life of me, I could not lose aggro! One ambush: aggro. Feint, lose it. One more sinister strike: aggro again. After a request for Salvation, I still ended up doing more damage than usual because I never needed to Feint :)

Let that be a lesson to Paladins and Rogues everywhere, Salvation is better than Might for Rogues :)

I would like to see how a Salvation/Might combo does, though. If the Salvation negates the aggro enough, that could be lots of extra DPS, especially for an Ambush/Backstab build.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Xanthix,May 9 2005, 11:57 AM Wrote:Mages should probably get the threat-reducer regardless, or they will end up tanking. :)
[right][snapback]76688[/snapback][/right]

By proper choice of which spells to use, I rarely get the aggroon my mage unless I intend to get it. When I do intended to get the aggro, the threat reducing blessing usually is not going to make a big difference anyway. In fact it can be a detriment since one of the cases that I do prefer to pull the aggro is to take it off the healer for the group; not a time when I want to have to do extra mana consumption to acheive the goal of protecting the healer.

In most cases I would prefer for my mage to have the bonus to mana recovery to help cut the down time some.

Tal Wrote:Also Might on hunters right now does not increase their ranged damage. Wisdom is the way to go for them.

I have to agree with Tal on this. The extra mana recovery makes for being able to keep the special shots being fired more often. I find the extra potential ranged DPS from this to be of more use than a blessing improving my melee damage (which will still be rather inferior to my ranged DPS).
Ruvanal,May 9 2005, 02:17 PM Wrote:
Xanthix Wrote:Mages should probably get the threat-reducer regardless, or they will end up tanking.
By proper choice of which spells to use, I rarely get the aggro on my mage unless I intend to get it.
In most cases I would prefer for my mage to have the bonus to mana recovery to help cut the down time some.
[right][snapback]76721[/snapback][/right]
I know that well-played mages can manage threat very well, and that they'd probably prefer the mana recovery blessing.

But everyone's probably run into inexperienced mages, who don't really realize how critical threat control is for a group. For them I would hand out the threat reducer be default, unless they ask for a different blessing.

The mage I play with can get kind of reckless like this, and likes to have Salvation so he can go a little nuts. :)
Tal,May 8 2005, 06:57 PM Wrote:Sure you want to cast protection? It only lasts 6 seconds and has a five minute cool down. ;)

Yes and three minutes. :w00t:

BoP FOR THE WIN.

Quote:Also Might on hunters right now does not increase their ranged damage. Wisdom is the way to go for them.
[right][snapback]76658[/snapback][/right]

I used to give hunters wisdom by default. Then I had a few arguements regarding Might vs. Wisdom, and now give them Might by default because I'm a passive-aggressive bastard.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Xanthix,May 9 2005, 06:36 PM Wrote:I know that well-played mages can manage threat very well, and that they'd  probably prefer the mana recovery blessing.
[right][snapback]76737[/snapback][/right]
The mana recovery is really nice, but for any kind of tricky fight I'd rather have salvation since you can ratchet up the damage a notch. For most mages, "managing threat very well" really means casting with one arm behind their back. You can get a higher damage rate with salvation. Requires playing with salvation enough to know how far you can push it instead of just playing it safe w/scorch & AM, though.
Xanthix,May 9 2005, 10:57 AM Wrote:In my experience, Priests have a good number of ways to shed aggro and protect themselves <snip>[right][snapback]76688[/snapback][/right]

Exactly! Glad I'm not the only one. With a tank who knows where his sunder button is, I won't get any aggro fade can't keep off. And *especially* if you're the LastToDie build, you don't need salvation. My advice? Play without it for a while. Get good at avoiding aggro. It's easy to blame the tank, but look at your playstyle and see if you're doing the best you can to keep your aggro down. Then you'll be able to benefit from blessings other than salv which is probably just a crutch with your build.

In regards to the other two, wisdom over kings :P But I'll take both before salv.