Well, my CPU gave me a good run...
As some of you know, I've been having intermittent problems with my computer I game on. I thought I had finally figured out what was wrong as it looked like my CMOS had lost it's settings and reverted to a slower setting for my CPU and my CPU didn't like that. Saturday morning, I put the CMOS back to the correct settings and the computer ran flawlessly up until midnight eastern on Sunday. At which point, it locked up one last time and then wouldn't restart. I've tried switching every component in the computer with the one I'm typing on now to no avail. I can also tell that the MB is actually fine because I can see it trying to post, but certain things, video and SCSI controller, require the CPU to be alive to function and they are not (signs that the MB is working is my onboard devices, IDE DVD-ROM, FD, and NIC are lighting up and running through standard post checks and indicator lights on the MB show green).

So, I'm not going to be around for a few days until I can get a replacement CPU here. I need to check around town to see if anyone has a socket 478 2.8 Processor that has a FSB of 533. More likely I will need to order across the internet and that may take more time. Here's hoping I can find something in town for a reasonable price.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Replacement processor has been ordered and should hopefully be here by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest (if it doesn't show up by Thursday, there's a company that is going to have holy hell dropped on them and many, many claims of false advertising).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Lissa,May 10 2005, 12:41 AM Wrote:Replacement processor has been ordered and should hopefully be here by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest (if it doesn't show up by Thursday, there's a company that is going to have holy hell dropped on them and many, many claims of false advertising).
[right][snapback]76756[/snapback][/right]

Hope it works out for you!

I myself will be trying to replace my bad mobo (and get off this temporary system - which I'd like to convert into a server) once graduation goes through.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Lissa,May 9 2005, 09:41 PM Wrote:Replacement processor has been ordered and should hopefully be here by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest (if it doesn't show up by Thursday, there's a company that is going to have holy hell dropped on them and many, many claims of false advertising).
[right][snapback]76756[/snapback][/right]

Bah, it's the memory...I got a replacement MB along with the CPU and it still isn't working and the memory is the only thing left that it can be (if I was draining too much power with the vid card, the old on would work, it doesn't and if PS was bad, I wouldn't get any power)...

And now my secondary machine is conspiring against me as well as my large drive (not the O/S drive) decided to die today as well (O/S drive is 4.5g with 3g free and I don't think that is enough for WoW, will try and see). Just so annoying to have both machines act up at the same time.... :angry: :wacko: :blink:

Lissa,May 12 2005, 08:01 PM Wrote:... and if PS was bad, I wouldn't get any power)...
[right][snapback]77169[/snapback][/right]
The power supplies put out multiple diverent voltages. Only one of those voltage circuits could be flaking out and cause problems but still leave power to turn on some components in the system and make it seem like it is starting to boot. I recall having to work with someone on a much older system that had only the 12v portion of the power supply flake out; booting seemed to go ok except when it came to the HDD working correctly (only thing in the system that would use the 12v circut).

Try to have the PS tested by a reliable method that can check all the voltage outputs and see if they are working and in the correct tolerances.
Lissa,May 12 2005, 05:01 PM Wrote:Bah, it's the memory...I got a replacement MB along with the CPU and it still isn't working and the memory is the only thing left that it can be (if I was draining too much power with the vid card, the old on would work, it doesn't and if PS was bad, I wouldn't get any power)...

And now my secondary machine is conspiring against me as well as my large drive (not the O/S drive) decided to die today as well (O/S drive is 4.5g with 3g free and I don't think that is enough for WoW, will try and see).  Just so annoying to have both machines act up at the same time....  :angry:  :wacko:  :blink:
[right][snapback]77169[/snapback][/right]

Well, was able to uninstall up to 1G of space, but WoW still wants atleast 4.5G... :blink:

So, until I can figure something out, still out... <_<

Lissa,May 12 2005, 07:01 PM Wrote:Just so annoying to have both machines act up at the same time....&nbsp; :angry:&nbsp; :wacko:&nbsp; :blink:

Check to make sure Murphey isn't hiding out somewhere in there. It's a tricky switch that often causes problems at the worst possible times ;)

Cheers,

Munk