Deep Ocean, Vast Sea
So, I saw this in the patch notes:

Everyone's favorite Alliance quest, "Deep Ocean, Vast Sea" now gives a substantial coin reward in addition to the choice of item.

I've seen quite a lot of complaining about this quest in Auberdine. The first time I did this quest I tried to fight my way through the hull of the ship and was not happy at all about it. When I did this quest the second and subsequent times, I went in through the windows of ships towards the back where the chests are. You can then swim through a hole in the deck and directly to the chest. You fight one murloc in the northern ship and none at all for the second ship if you do this.

Is this something folks were unaware of? The quest is practically trivial and can be done in something close to two minutes.
savaughn,May 12 2005, 04:57 PM Wrote:The quest is practically trivial and can be done in something close to two minutes.
[right][snapback]77156[/snapback][/right]

There were two general problems I encountered with this quest when I tried it. First was breath. I kept getting very close to running out, and nowhere near where I needed to be. This can, naturally, be solved with a potion of waterbreathing, which I didn't have. Nor did I have a mage handy to cast waterbreathing on me.

The second problem was the insane aggro'ing. The murloc's would spawn on the other side of the hull, where I couldn't see them, then aggro me, and come rushing through the hull. Several times. With multiple murlocs. Thus leading again back to problem number one. By the time I could get to the surface, fight off all the murlocs, and go back down again...they'd have respawned.

Even doing this with a group led to the same problems. I tried for over 3 hours to do this quest, and finally just said "fug it", abandoned the quest, and went on happily with life.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Technically you need a warlock to cast Unending Breath on you (or more accurately: "10 minute breath"). But good luck finding one of those in Dark Shore.

Though I've never done "Deep Ocean, Vast Sea" my warlock generally enjoys underwater quests (like the Faldir's Cove series). But without access to a warlock or breathing potions or a deep dive helmet, they get a lot harder.

I remember having no problems getting the chest for "Lifting the Curse" with my warlock, but my priest couldn't get near it without drawing aggro from 3 or 4 cursed marines. Guess I got lucky the first time.

Chris
Icebird,May 12 2005, 11:39 PM Wrote:Though I've never done "Deep Ocean, Vast Sea" my warlock generally enjoys underwater quests (like the Faldir's Cove series). But without access to a warlock or breathing potions or a deep dive helmet, they get a lot harder.
Chris
[right][snapback]77159[/snapback][/right]

There's another one: druid aquatic form. Definitely the VIP method of underwater adventuring
The first time a murloc on the second floor aggroed me and came up through the deck to attack me, I ran away from the quest and never returned. I should try it again some day.
Two issues with the quest:

1) It's underwater, and for many players it's the first quest that requires them to be underwater in a situation where they can't easily/quickly go up for air if they need to.

2) The aggro is all messed up in those boats. Murlocs will aggro you from outside the ship, on levels above and below you, and in places you can't even see. It seems totally arbitrary and is extremely unfair to the player.

Also, your character level at the time you attempt the quest plays a BIG role on how hard it is. With a large enough aggro radius, the quest is literally impossible because you cannot kill the Murlocs fast enough to clear them out and beat the respawn rate, exacerbated by having to swim up for breath after every fight. If you're a higher level, you can avoid all that, sneak in, and grab the loot without hardly a fight.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,May 12 2005, 10:31 PM Wrote:2) The aggro is all messed up in those boats.  Murlocs will aggro you from outside the ship, on levels above and below you, and in places you can't even see.  It seems totally arbitrary and is extremely unfair to the player.

Also, your character level at the time you attempt the quest plays a BIG role on how hard it is.  With a large enough aggro radius, the quest is literally impossible because you cannot kill the Murlocs fast enough to clear them out and beat the respawn rate, exacerbated by having to swim up for breath after every fight.  If you're a higher level, you can avoid all that, sneak in, and grab the loot without hardly a fight.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]77194[/snapback][/right]
It was toned down in one of the patches. Taranna and Eth had a hell of a time doing it together at somewhere around level 18. My baby hunter Kadaeri soloed it at 15 with zero deaths and only killing maybe 5 murlocs total on the first boat and zero murlocs killed on the second boat. No water breathing potions used, no sacrificing the poor kitty and only one add because a runner got away from me. I did use one heal pot when I was almost back to the surface while taking heavy damage from drowning, but that was it. So it's much, much easier now than it was at release.
Intolerant monkey.
In addition to makin the quest easier there is an elite quest a little further north that gives you Elixir of Water Breathing. Its called Gyromast's Revenge and is a lvl 20 elite quest. I think its a bit screwed up when Deep Ocean is a lvl 17 non elite quest, but it is clear to me you would do the elite one first so you dont have to worry about breathing.
Mirajj,May 12 2005, 05:10 PM Wrote:The second problem was the insane aggro'ing. The murloc's would spawn on the other side of the hull, where I couldn't see them, then aggro me, and come rushing through the hull. Several times. With multiple murlocs. Thus leading again back to problem number one. By the time I could get to the surface, fight off all the murlocs, and go back down again...they'd have respawned.
[right][snapback]77157[/snapback][/right]

The breathing problems aside. I happeded to choose Alchemy with my first char, so waterbreathing is not a problem. (And, for anyone who needs pots, just yell. No really I keep the ingredients in stock.)

My experience is similiar to Sav's. After that I used water breathing, then would clear out the fews Murlocs below and behind the ship that might aggro through the hull. Then swim in quickly in the window and open the chest, sometimes I might aggro one on the way out, but except for my first time this has been a simple quest. I only wish the increased coin were retro. :-)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hmmm... at the first ship it was a piece of cake, found the boat, got in through a window and got out, never even came close to a Murloc.

At the second one though I have always aggroed at least 2 murlocs while trying to get to the chest, one time I even aggroed all the bloody murlocs in there somehow and had 7 murlocs on my tail and finally died from drowning...

Did it with a warrior afterwards and it was a piece of cake, albeit a little slow.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Icebird,May 12 2005, 10:39 PM Wrote:Technically you need a warlock to cast Unending Breath on you (or more accurately: "10 minute breath"). But good luck finding one of those in Dark Shore.
An early available Elixir of Water Breathing will do, too.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller