What does allergic mean anyway?
LochnarITB,Jun 1 2005, 04:05 PM Wrote:Each type of beast has an inherent attack speed.  Various cats are different.
[right][snapback]79243[/snapback][/right]
Also, there are differences between approach speeds between the various critters too.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Jun 1 2005, 07:14 PM Wrote:Also, there are differences between approach speeds between the various critters too.
[right][snapback]79271[/snapback][/right]
Wow, until I read your response, I had always equated the two. Are they different? Have you seen a listing of the two properties, or just the approach speed, for specific beasties? I doubt I would switch my pets, but it would be a good reason to reconsider it if I really messed up. I do feel that my savannah patriarch (Felix) attacks approaches much faster than the swoop and doggie I tried.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Jun 2 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:Wow, until I read your response, I had always equated the two.  Are they different?  Have you seen a listing of the two properties, or just the approach speed, for specific beasties?  I doubt I would switch my pets, but it would be a good reason to reconsider it if I really messed up.  I do feel that my savannah patriarch (Felix) attacks approaches much faster than the swoop and doggie I tried.
[right][snapback]79413[/snapback][/right]
Approach speed is definitely a different value than travel speed, although the two are often set to be equal on pets. With Dash/Dive in the game, though, it's kind of a moot point. As near as I can tell, anything that doesn't have the dash/dive ability is a slower animal anyway and has an equal approach/travel speed.

I didn't replicate it myself, but I had read some tests where they compared travel speed with approach speed on some of the faster pets like King Bang. One of the pets (KingB?) could catch an elite mount when sent to attack, but if set to stay, the hunter moved away, and then set to follow, the elite mount would win the race. this was a while ago, though, and they've done quite a few changes to pet speed in the last couple patches. Between dash/dive and the travel speed boost that's coming in the next patch, I don't think there's really much concern in this area anymore.

That said, nothing makes me quite as happy as sending my pet a half-mile away and having him drag a monster back to me...

"Skippy, see that elemental over there?"
"BARK!"
"Fetch!"
savaughn,Jun 2 2005, 06:14 PM Wrote:Approach speed is definitely a different value than travel speed, although the two are often set to be equal on pets.  With Dash/Dive in the game, though, it's kind of a moot point.
[right][snapback]79425[/snapback][/right]
It was actually attack speed and approach speed that I was equating. Even though weapons have an attack speed, it never clicked that attack speed on a pet, certainly a hunter weapon, might be just that, how fast they claw, bite, etc. I had always thought I was looking at the attack speed listing and seeing how quickly the pet gets to the target when you do say "fetch". Just looking at the pets I tried, it did seem to mean just that. Now I'm confused as to what the attack speed is actually reporting.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Jun 2 2005, 05:45 PM Wrote:Wow, until I read your response, I had always equated the two.  Are they different?  Have you seen a listing of the two properties, or just the approach speed, for specific beasties?  I doubt I would switch my pets, but it would be a good reason to reconsider it if I really messed up.  I do feel that my savannah patriarch (Felix) attacks approaches much faster than the swoop and doggie I tried.
[right][snapback]79413[/snapback][/right]

These are two different properties. The attack speed (listed in the pet screen) is what you mentioned in your post above. Elynittria (Woad's owl) is 2, Shadowclaw is 1.5, and Mist Howler (whom she tamed last night) is 1.3. The smaller the number, the more often the pet bites, kicks, scratches, I believe.

The speed with which the animal runs is not listed anywhere that I can find. Woad did some experiments running up and down Darkshore with her pets. She has Beastial Swiftness. An ordinary cat did not keep up, but Shadowclaw did, as did a giant forestrider. Mist Howler seems slower (even though he has a faster attack), but he was not asked to make the run. The effect is difficult for me to quantify, and it may be mostly my imagination.

The biggest impediment is two stable slots. That was cruel of Blizzard, and should be reported to the SPCA.

What is even more cruel is that according to the WOW hunter forum, the natural attack speed and running speed differences among our pets are unintended. The developers will have them fixed. What this means of course is no more kittens.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."