Exaulted Or Bust
My main character is Ackland, a level 50 Paladin. My standing, at 50, with Ironforge is about 3/5ths of the way to Revered (still only Honoured). How in the world am I ever going to ride an off-race mount?

I took my Paladin to 47 before "Real Life™" took over and forced me to leave the beta. At 44, I was able to afford an off-race mount, a good ol' brown riding ram. We had some good times, that Ram and me... "Beeest friends!" *cough*

So -- here I am, level 50 with only my summonable and very mana inefficient Warhorse. I liked the utility of having a free mount (which allowed me to buy a mount for my brother who plays with me) but I liked the no-mana-cost in-the-box ram better. It's much more useful for farming herbs. Now, the money is piling up and I have enough for my Druid (who really doesn't need it that badly -- 40% run speed for free with travel form and 30% run speed in cat form: I'm laughing). For neither of these classes do I want their racial mounts. Seeing as my reputation gains are at a pace to be revered in Ironforge by 60, I will be no where near exaulted, even in Stormwind, to get that Ram.

How on earth am I supposed to gain enough reputation with Ironforge to ride a ram? Same goes for the Druid -- Horses don't appeal to me, and an Elf on a Cat, big deal. I've heard of repeatable quests, but what are they for Ironforge, how hard and how many times would I have to do this? I've seen a screenshot of a gnome on a big kitty, so I know it's doable for the cats at least.

EDIT: Doh, can't fix typos in the post-title/header. :(
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I'm not certain that humans can ride rams anymore, due to size problems. But you might be able to.

The repeatable quest that's made faction so much easier to attain is a cloth turn in. You find a certain someone in the capital city of the mount you want, and they accept stacks of cloth for rep.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:The repeatable quest that's made faction so much easier to attain is a cloth turn in. You find a certain someone in the capital city of the mount you want, and they accept stacks of cloth for rep.

I hope this doesn't turn out to "hurt" lowbie tailors. Everyone used to be very generous with cloth to me, when La Mage was coming up.

The higher my main gets the more I suspect that faction may be a bigger part of the game then I'd ever realized, if you take crafting at all seriously. So it would be understandable if some folks were less willing to make player to player donations.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Sabra,Jun 27 2005, 05:03 AM Wrote:I hope this doesn't turn out to "hurt" lowbie tailors.  Everyone used to be very generous with cloth to me, when La Mage was coming up.

The higher my main gets the more I suspect that faction may be a bigger part of the game then I'd ever realized, if you take crafting at all seriously. So it would be understandable if some folks were less willing to make player to player donations.
[right][snapback]81751[/snapback][/right]
I may be wrong (I haven't done the quest chain) but I've been told that the repeatable part is the last (felcloth) turn in. It's 60 wool, 60 silk, etc. and I've been told you don't have to redo the whole chain, just the last turn in.

If so, this won't hurt lowbie tailors, but will decimate the market for artisans.
savaughn,Jun 27 2005, 02:58 PM Wrote:I may be wrong (I haven't done the quest chain) but I've been told that the repeatable part is the last (felcloth) turn in.  It's 60 wool, 60 silk, etc. and I've been told you don't have to redo the whole chain, just the last turn in.

If so, this won't hurt lowbie tailors, but will decimate the market for artisans.
[right][snapback]81756[/snapback][/right]

Its 60 wool, 60 silk, 60 mageweave first. Then you get the quest for 60 runecloth. After that its 20 runecloth per turn in that is the repeatable quest (lvl 50 required).
Kjartan,Jun 27 2005, 09:46 AM Wrote:Its 60 wool, 60 silk, 60 mageweave first. Then you get the quest for 60 runecloth. After that its 20 runecloth per turn in that is the repeatable quest (lvl 50 required).
[right][snapback]81758[/snapback][/right]

And to complete the circle back to Sabra's question this should not really hurt newbie tailors at all. The only repeatable quest is for runecloth so donations of linen, wool, silk, and mageweave are still reasonable. It may slow down a few tailors at runecloth until they start hitting end game instances (where runecloth is abundant) but it shouldn't have a large impact.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
mjdoom,Jun 27 2005, 03:36 PM Wrote:And to complete the circle back to Sabra's question this should not really hurt newbie tailors at all.  The only repeatable quest is for runecloth so donations of linen, wool, silk, and mageweave are still reasonable.  It may slow down a few tailors at runecloth until they start hitting end game instances (where runecloth is abundant) but it shouldn't have a large impact.

- mjdoom
[right][snapback]81761[/snapback][/right]

Whew! I haven't started this little exercise in grinding yet, so I guess it will just be high end tailors who may be effected by handouts. More impetus to breath that wonderful air in the Plaguelands while grinding for faction with the Argent Dawn. ;)
In the end it's a 2fer!
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Sabra,Jun 27 2005, 12:33 PM Wrote:Whew! I haven't started this little exercise in grinding yet, so I guess it will just be high end tailors who may be effected by handouts. More impetus to breath that wonderful air in the Plaguelands while grinding for faction with the Argent Dawn. ;)
In the end it's a 2fer!
[right][snapback]81771[/snapback][/right]

Shal will be questing in the Plaguelands soon as well. But you may have better results running Scholo and Stratholme. :)
Tal,Jun 27 2005, 12:07 PM Wrote:Shal will be questing in the Plaguelands soon as well. But you may have better results running Scholo and Stratholme. :)
[right][snapback]81776[/snapback][/right]

I have never ground for faction in the plaguelands or quested there, with the exception of the quests the hermit paladin gives you. I have done a few Baron runs (4 I think) and been in Scholomance twice. I have had my trinket for half of one scholo and 2 of the Baron runs. I'm already halfway through friendly with AD. It doesn't seem hard to get rep with them right now. I hear you can get kill rep up through most of honored too. Of course I don't know how your rep needs to be with them to get you anything but they have been one of the easiest reps for me so far.

The Thorium Brotherhood on the other hand is a pain in the ass. If you want rep with them start as early as possible. Though it seems if I can ever get to friendly I will be able to fly up the rep chain after that. I've done all the turn-ins in gadget for the imperial plate, all the quests they give out in Thorium Point, about 35 turn in's of the kingsblood, scales, and coal quests, and I even gave them some of my Dark Iron ore one time. I'm about 5/8 of the way through neutral with all that.

The damn furbies require a crapload of grinding as well. I have turned in the quest 6 times and ground them for mageweave as well as the winterspring ones for firewater several times hasn't even gotten me to neutral.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Jun 27 2005, 10:31 AM Wrote:The damn furbies require a crapload of grinding as well.  I have turned in the quest 6 times and ground them for mageweave as well as the winterspring ones for firewater several times hasn't even gotten me to neutral.
[right][snapback]81792[/snapback][/right]

Furbolgs give the same faction points to you whether you kill them solo or in a group (as long as you actually damage them at all), so farming them with more toons is a great way to level up quickly. My 'lock would team with a paladin and mage for mega speed killing. Paladin would run around hitting about 10 of them then run back to a central location where mage would fire AoE and then frost hold AoE and I would run in and hellfire then mop up loot and paladin would heal me. We each hit all mobs so each got full faction. Rinse and repeat.
Mirajj,Jun 26 2005, 08:40 PM Wrote:I'm not certain that humans can ride rams anymore, due to size problems. But you might be able to. [right][snapback]81726[/snapback][/right]

They can, I saw a NE on a ram the other day.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
JustAGuy,Jun 26 2005, 10:54 PM Wrote:My main character is Ackland, a level 50 Paladin. My standing, at 50, with Ironforge is about 3/5ths of the way to Revered (still only Honoured). How in the world am I ever going to ride an off-race mount?[right][snapback]81723[/snapback][/right]

Don't read the forum for a week or two and look what I miss! When did Ackland start playing retail?? Last I heard you were not going to. Of course I remember the ram!

This is a very timely topic. Fafner has decided that she wants to get a mount. Since she would not be caught dead on one of those chicken things, she had hoped to get a horse. She is close to revered in Stormwind. Problem is the elite horses are ugly, as are the Nightsabers. She does not recall what the elite rams look like but they could hardly be much better (though she does have a thing for Mountaineer Pebblebitty).

What to do? To Winterspring! Main problem is she can't find Rivern Frostwind. She would expect Rivern to be in the vicinity of Frostsaber Rock, but all she finds are Frostsabers. And more Frostsabers. So far she has a fifth of a level just from looking for the NPC. She did find Chal Frostwind, but Chal would not so much as speak to her.

Anyone else interested in trying to obtain a Frostsaber? Both Tribade and Fafner are honored among the Timbermaw, so we don't mind grinding. Tribade gets on well with the Argent Dawn and is coming along with the waterlords.

Edit: Duh...he was on top of the rock.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Jul 6 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:What to do?  To Winterspring!  Main problem is she can't find Rivern Frostwind.  She would expect Rivern to be in the vicinity of Frostsaber Rock, but all she finds are Frostsabers.  And more Frostsabers.  So far she has a fifth of a level just from looking for the NPC.  She did find Chal Frostwind, but Chal would not so much as speak to her.
[right][snapback]82656[/snapback][/right]

LOL. So close and yet so far. He is on the top of Frostsaber Rock, climb up from the back side.

And Littledude can at times be found out there still grinding the meat part of the faction gain prior to being able to do the more efficient furbie grinding.
LavCat,Jul 6 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:What to do?  To Winterspring!  Main problem is she can't find Rivern Frostwind.  She would expect Rivern to be in the vicinity of Frostsaber Rock, but all she finds are Frostsabers.  And more Frostsabers.  So far she has a fifth of a level just from looking for the NPC.  She did find Chal Frostwind, but Chal would not so much as speak to her.

Anyone else interested in trying to obtain a Frostsaber?  Both Tribade and Fafner are honored among the Timbermaw, so we don't mind grinding.  Tribade gets on well with the Argent Dawn and is coming along with the waterlords.

I am a bit better than halfway through Friendly with the Winterspring Trainer Rivern. He's on the very top of that hooklike looking rock that you can see from the road leading into the Frostsaber Rock area. You have to go around behind the rock, and work your way up to it's hooklike peak. Expect to that a great many times. ;) You need to turn in his various quests 840 times for a Frostsaber.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
LavCat,Jul 6 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:Don't read the forum for a week or two and look what I miss!  When did Ackland start playing retail??  Last I heard you were not going to.  Of course I remember the ram!

Hey Lav! I too had left the forum for a couple of weeks and didn't see this post!

I started up again a couple of months ago (time flies... wowee). The problem with the beta was not having consitent people to play with, with schedule's similar to mine. So, with a couple of friends wanting to play, I gave WoW another chance.

Ackland hit 60 not too long ago and I did some grinding/farming to get gold for runecloth. I'm quite happy with the result of my efforts.

Check it out:

[Image: ack_on_ram.jpg]

[Image: ack_on_ram2.jpg]

I did it. Got my Ram. It took a while, but I did it. Next up, Swift Ram... *barf*
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Awesome. Well done.

If wishes were ponies and I could get Leeah into Alterac Valley every day for 2 weeks, I could get exhalted with the other three races, get commander rank, and buy the assorted PVP epic mounts for 90g each.

That's my plan. :-)
Metrocube,Aug 1 2005, 07:04 PM Wrote:Awesome. Well done.

If wishes were ponies and  I could get Leeah into Alterac Valley every day for 2 weeks, I could get exhalted with the other three races, get commander rank, and buy the assorted PVP epic mounts for 90g each.

That's my plan. :-)
[right][snapback]84799[/snapback][/right]

Might want to talk to the Horde about that ... we have to have AV to get into it :(

The Lobotomizer is taunting me ...
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!