Throwing Barb
I haven't seen many throwing barbs in Diablo 2:LoD recently, well to tell the truth i have seen only one! All barbs i see only Hack&Slash their ways, i think that is pretty boring
So i decided to do a throwing barb, but i have never done anything like that before (not even throwing ama)

Post your ideas here about:
Stat point distrupion,
Skill point distruption
Weapons
Armor

Even ansvering one thing is helpful

And if u have done a throwing barb yourself, plz tell about him in this topic(stats and all)

I want to see different ideas here, plz, do not be shy to answer :D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill
There is a similar discussion going on at the Amazon Basin, here that may aid you.

Best wishes
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Thanks for the tip m8.
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Double throw, max natural resistances and def and throwing mastery, and the two warcries of your choice.
SetBuilder,Jun 29 2005, 02:05 AM Wrote:max natural resistances and def
[right][snapback]81931[/snapback][/right]
Max def, would that be Iron Skin? As a thrower, I would've thought the main point of throwing weapons was to avoid getting up and personal with the monsters, in which case you don't have much need for defense. Unless you're worried about archers, that is. And those can be handled with a point in Taunt.

As for maxing Natural Resistances, don't you think that's a bit of a waste of skillpoints because of the diminishing returns?
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Yogi_Baar,Jun 29 2005, 11:21 PM Wrote:Max def, would that be Iron Skin? As a thrower, I would've thought the main point of throwing weapons was to avoid getting up and personal with the monsters, in which case you don't have much need for defense. Unless you're worried about archers, that is. And those can be handled with a point in Taunt.

As for maxing Natural Resistances, don't you think that's a bit of a waste of skillpoints because of the diminishing returns?
[right][snapback]82057[/snapback][/right]

Go through hell difficulty without both of those maxed, and there's a good chance that if something does hit hit, you'll die. What else would you spend the points in? Are you planning on using more than just a couple of warcries?
Yogi_Baar,Jun 30 2005, 07:21 AM Wrote:As for maxing Natural Resistances, don't you think that's a bit of a waste of skillpoints because of the diminishing returns?
[right][snapback]82057[/snapback][/right]

I agree with your opinion of the natural resistance... as i think it a waste of points if u put over 10 points there, even seven might be enough.
The points i get from there i'd put to inc. speed,
Cause i might become a dueler, and u need good speed there...

Then warcries---->
I'd max Battle order (douple life! :P )
1 for battle command for battle order

Other---->
1 for frenzy (it is fun to charge)
max throwing mastery
max douple throw (to get more AR)
1 to leap attack and leap
10 to inc. speed
remainig points to iron skin

what about weapons and armour then??? i honestly do not know... :mellow:
counts."
- Winston Churchill
if you're looking for 'cheap' weapons try looking into blood crafts. Certainly not the most powerful equipment, but easy to get your hands on, especially if you have an account full of well developed characters who can supply transmuting materials (and do the transmutings for better mods)
Bob,Jul 1 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:if you're looking for 'cheap' weapons try looking into blood crafts. Certainly not the most powerful equipment, but easy to get your hands on, especially if you have an account full of well developed characters who can supply transmuting materials (and do the transmutings for better mods)
[right][snapback]82225[/snapback][/right]
You can also craft javelins with safety craft if you like :) The damage reduction makes up a little for not having a shield, plus I think it looks nifty with orange text :P

Edit: Hey, maybe you can craft throwing axes with blood craft. I've never tried this. It just might work, but I doubt it, since it says "Throwing Class" on the weapon.
Grul,Jul 5 2005, 06:56 PM Wrote:You can also craft javelins with safety craft if you like :) The damage reduction makes up a little for not having a shield, plus I think it looks nifty with orange text :P

Edit: Hey, maybe you can craft throwing axes with blood craft. I've never tried this. It just might work, but I doubt it, since it says "Throwing Class" on the weapon.
[right][snapback]82546[/snapback][/right]

Throwing axes are axes. Disregard what "class" is listed on the items within the game. That information is completely inaccurate and/or meaningless.
Chaostheory,Jun 30 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:what about weapons and armour then??? i honestly do not know... :mellow:
If memory serves, I ended up using Lionheart on my thrower. Belt was Razortail, WT for boots. Gloves were...hell if I remember. Might've been Bloodfist or some decent rare. Hat ended up being Arreat's. Rings were rares, and I'm fairly sure the amulet was Atma's Scarab (for its chance to cast AD, which helps a lot).

As for weapons, early on you'll have to make do with whatever rares you can get your hands on. Once you hit L40+ and can use the two exceptional throwing weapon uniques, go for them.
For the late game, some of the unique elite throwing weapons are pretty nice, Gargoyle('s?) Bite in particular. Do remember that you can upgrade good rare normal/exceptional throwing weapons you find, and that you can also craft Blood throwing axes.

Edit: I should point out that this was before the new runewords were made avaialble.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
I haven't seen any good helmet for a throwing barb yet,
but recently i found a good 3 socket slayer guard. (no +to skills on it :( )

I thought to save it to socket a runeword to it.
The best runeword for it is Dream i think:

Runewords needed in order: Io+Jah+Pul

10% Chance To Cast Level 15 Confuse When Struck
Level 15 Holy Shock Aura When Equipped (nice lightning dmg added :P )
+20-30% Faster Hit Recovery (varies)
+30% Enhanced Defense
+150-220 Defense (varies)
+10 To Vitality
Increase Maximum Life 5% (more life is always welcome :D )
+0.625-61.875 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
All Resistances +5-20 (varies)
15-25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (varies)

Is it worth to put that runeword to the helmet? I have Io and Pul already.
Jah is hard to find... :mellow:

I ask: Is it worth it?

counts."
- Winston Churchill
Chaostheory,Jul 12 2005, 12:05 PM Wrote:Is it worth to put that runeword to the helmet? I have Io and Pul already.
Jah is hard to find... :mellow:

I ask: Is it worth it?
[right][snapback]83272[/snapback][/right]

I think this is a case of counting chickens before they hatch. Jahs are really, really rare. You can just assume you'll never find one, unless you trade for dupes. So the question of what you'd do with it if you had one never really comes up.

That said, putting it in a plain slayer guard would really be a waste. If you make it in a barbarian helm, no one but a barbarian can ever use it. And if the helm doesn't have any skill boosts, and doesn't have high defense, there's not really a reason to put in there. You'll find many, many 3 socket helms before you find a single Jah.
adeyke,Jul 12 2005, 11:25 AM Wrote:I think this is a case of counting chickens before they hatch.  Jahs are really, really rare.  You can just assume you'll never find one, unless you trade for dupes.  So the question of what you'd do with it if you had one never really comes up.

That said, putting it in a plain slayer guard would really be a waste.  If you make it in a barbarian helm, no one but a barbarian can ever use it.  And if the helm doesn't have any skill boosts, and doesn't have high defense, there's not really a reason to put in there.  You'll find many, many 3 socket helms before you find a single Jah.
[right][snapback]83279[/snapback][/right]

For this reason I'd actually recommend Delerium. Delerium is EXCELLENT for a throwing barb, as you can see:

Delerium: Lem + Ist + IO

1% Chance To Cast Level 50 Delirium* (morph) When Struck
6% Chance To Cast Level 14 Mind Blast When Struck
14% Chance To Cast Level 13 Terror When Struck
11% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking
+2 To All Skills
+261 Defense
+10 To Vitality
50% Extra Gold From Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 17 Attract (60 Charges)

And would actually be halfway decent on your slayer guard, due to the +261 Def. The only downside to this helm is the Delirium itself, as morphing into one of the exploding little bone guys would blow. Unless it's your merc, as then his dying would accomplish something.
adeyke,Jul 12 2005, 07:25 PM Wrote:I think this is a case of counting chickens before they hatch.  Jahs are really, really rare.  You can just assume you'll never find one, unless you trade for dupes.  So the question of what you'd do with it if you had one never really comes up.
[right][snapback]83279[/snapback][/right]
Well, to tell the truth i have "found" one, my friend has Jah rune,
but the negotiations about that he would trade the rune to me...

That is tricky :huh:
counts."
- Winston Churchill
But still maybe you are right about that helmet thing...
My slayer guard has only 126 defence and 3 sockets, no mods on it...

And for the delirium...
It might be good when going with a party (% chance to cast things)
But i am going to make a dueler throwing barb...
And for that, i think Dream is better than Delirium

(Hah, i use Lore now, cause my level is only 35...) :blush:
counts."
- Winston Churchill