Playing S.P on hell difficulty . . .
I have heard that if you go on a multiplayer charicter in hell then start a single player charicter, that game will be on hell difficulty.

I tryed it and it did't work I also have a few questions to ask. . .

>The computer i play diablo on has no internet connection is this still possible ?

>How hard would it really be to cope with hell difficulty on a lvl 1 charicter ?

>Are quest bosses such as the butcher set at a hell difficulty ?

>And finaly has anyone ever played this way and actualy got going to a high level charicter

(Thanx for reading, post away with all your knowlege) :-)
diablo1ks,May 15 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:I have heard that if you go on a multiplayer charicter in hell then start a single player charicter, that game will be on hell difficulty.
You probably read it ;), but it's true anyway.

diablo1ks,May 15 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:I tryed it and it did't work I also have a few questions to ask. . .
It works. Enter a multiplayer game of hell difficulty, exit that game, go back to the main menu, select single player and the game will be the same difficulty as the last multiplayer game. Just make sure you don't exit Diablo completely.

diablo1ks,May 15 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:>The computer i play diablo on has no internet connection is this still possible ?
Yes, create an IPX, Modem or Direct Cable Connection game instead of logging onto Battle.net.

diablo1ks,May 15 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:>How hard would it really be to cope with hell difficulty on a lvl 1 charicter ?
Warriors will die in the first battle (you can't hit anything, they can hit you, they hurt you a lot), while sorcerers and rogues stand a chance if the level setups are good (lots of grates (butcher traps)), but they'll die later on.

diablo1ks,May 15 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:>Are quest bosses such as the butcher set at a hell difficulty ?
Yes.

diablo1ks,May 15 2003, 09:48 PM Wrote:>And finaly has anyone ever played this way and actualy got going to a high level charicter
There are all sorts of weirdos out there who just might have done it. I tried it, but apparently I'm not weird enough. Not in that way, anyway. :P

I think you should first play single player on normal difficulty, then on nightmare and save the best for last. Of course, you can skip nightmare if you want to, but you might get your butt kicked on all sorts of occasions.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Hi,

Yogi_Baar answered most of your questions. The important thing in doing this is not to quit Diablo between exiting the higher level multiplayer game and starting the single player game. Also, if you start a game at a higher level, save it and quit Diablo, when you reload that saved game it will be in normal difficulty again. To reload it at a higher difficulty, you need to start then exit a multi game at that higher difficulty again.

Using that trick, I have played each class through all three difficulty levels in single. Really pretty pointless except for the quests. I have also started characters in hell difficulty. It really is quite easy with a little bit of luck :)

There is no XP limit for killing monsters in SP, so the first kill will take you up to level 5 with 20 points to distribute (IIRC). Money drops are hell sized, so buying pots and gear is no problem either.

Now, the trick to making it is to use ranged attack. The rogue and the mage come ready for that. The warrior can spend his 100 gp for a short bow (if Gris doesn't have one, just restart games till he does). The level 1 monsters are like the Butcher in that they will not move away from you to go around obstacles. Just restart games till you get one where the stairs down to level 2 are close to the stairs from town. *Carefully* attract 1 monster, trap it in the stairwell, kill at leisure -- presto level 5. Repeat a few times and pretty soon you will not be too far off the power curve for playing in hell (SP is easier on all levels than multi, IIRC).

Other than as a stunt, not much reason to do it. If you've played a few multi characters, done a 3@30 or two and understand how to build and play a character, it is just enough of a challenge to do once (maybe once with each class).

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,May 16 2003, 12:40 AM Wrote:I have also started characters in hell difficulty.  It really is quite easy with a little bit of luck :)
<snip>
Now, the trick to making it is to use ranged attack.
I've only tried it with a warrior without ranged attack :blink: so no wonder I gave it up instantly.

Pete,May 16 2003, 12:40 AM Wrote:Repeat a few times and pretty soon you will not be too far off the power curve for playing in hell (SP is easier on all levels than multi, IIRC).
It is, the monsters have half the hitpoints. The damage is still amazing though. I'm kinda worried about fire/night clan archers in catacombs, but I'm gonna try it later today. Your note about the instant level gain kind of interested me in singleplayer again.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Pete,May 15 2003, 11:40 PM Wrote:There is no XP limit for killing monsters in SP, so the first kill will take you up to level 5 with 20 points to distribute (IIRC).&nbsp; Money drops are hell sized, so buying pots and gear is no problem either.
IIRC, the first monster does indeed take you to level 5, the second to 9 and the third to 11. It's a rush :lol:
> Also, if you start a game at a higher level, save it and quit Diablo, when you reload that saved game it will be in normal difficulty again. To reload it at a higher difficulty, you need to start then exit a multi game at that higher difficulty again.

Is there anyway around this (because it sounds really annoying !)
Hi,

Is there anyway around this (because it sounds really annoying !)

It is annoying, but only mildly so. You can still continue playing the reloaded game at the higher level. Just so we're on the same page, let me go into boring detail ;)

1) You start a multiplayer game of Diablo at the level (nightmare or hell) you want your single player game to be on.
2) You *exit* the multiplayer game using the "New Game" option. You do not quit the Diablo program.
3) You use the cancel buttons to back up to the screen that gives you the choice of playing single player.
4) You then start *or* load a single player game. That game will be of the same difficulty level of the last multi-player game of this Diablo session.

So, two things: if you save a game and then load it during the same session, it will continue to be at the same level. If you save a game in one session, then quit Diablo, you just go through the same four steps above to set it to the same level as when you quit.

Also, if you want to change level for single player anytime in a session, simply go through the same four steps.

In "programeese", there apparently is a flag giving the difficulty level. It is set at "normal" when the game starts. The single player game does not change this flag. The multiplayer game does. All you are doing when using the above four steps is setting that flag to a different value.

I hope this clarified the issue.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Thanx a lot pete you gave me a perfectly understandable directions on what to do.

(Also thanx to Yogi Baar)

Although only being a member of this forum a week and I feel at home already, I have not yet seen any abusive posts, and all questions are answered instantly. Although I have only played diablo for about 2 years (well only seriously the last few months) I feel that I really missed out when the old blizzard diablo forum was about and want to catch up on as much as i can now !

I'm not sure how old you guys are but i'm only 14 giving me a lot of time to take part in diablo at home and at school when my I.T teacher isn't looking (lol) and i hope to be well known on the future of this forum.

So glad diablo1 lives on and I'm proud of the community that keep it this way.
Yogi_Baar,May 15 2003, 01:58 PM Wrote:You probably read it ;), but it's true anyway.

It works. Enter a multiplayer game of hell difficulty, exit that game, go back to the main menu, select single player and the game will be the same difficulty as the last multiplayer game. Just make sure you don't exit Diablo completely.

Yes, create an IPX, Modem or Direct Cable Connection game instead of logging onto Battle.net.

Warriors will die in the first battle (you can't hit anything, they can hit you, they hurt you a lot), while sorcerers and rogues stand a chance if the level setups are good (lots of grates (butcher traps)), but they'll die later on.

Yes.

There are all sorts of weirdos out there who just might have done it. I tried it, but apparently I'm not weird enough. Not in that way, anyway. :P

I think you should first play single player on normal difficulty, then on nightmare and save the best for last. Of course, you can skip nightmare if you want to, but you might get your butt kicked on all sorts of occasions.
[right][snapback]10675[/snapback][/right]
I'm glad I joined this site. That was my question exactly, I have a level 27 warrior in single player, and have gone through the game 2 times, and the second time I went through I only started getting experience when I had gotten to the lower levels of the caves, I never got any exp. from cathedral or catacombs... and I only gained a total of 2 level's on my second trip through, and I was angry, all that work for 2 measly levels... thank's for the help.
Hi, diablo1ks,

diablo1ks,May 16 2003, 08:29 PM Wrote:... I feel that I really missed out when the old blizzard diablo forum was about and want to catch up on as much as i can now !

I'm not sure how old you guys are but i'm only 14 giving me a lot of time to take part in diablo at home and at school when my I.T teacher isn't looking (lol) and i hope to be well known on the future of this forum.

So glad diablo1 lives on and I'm proud of the community that keep it this way.
[right][snapback]10813[/snapback][/right]

I suspect some of us here still miss the DSF, though the LL & the DSF Community have filled in ably.

Just a few comments about miscellaneous issues.

In case you haven't heard this history:

Diablo was actually created by a small development company called Condor. Blizzard saw a pre-release version of Diablo, and was impressed enough with the game to buy Condor and the rights to the game. Condor was renamed 'Blizzard North' and proceeded to finish the game, but with some additions that Blizzard insisted on. Originally, Condor envisioned Diablo to be solely a SP experience, at a sole difficulty, but Blizzard insisted that MP capability be added.

Thus, the reason playing SP at higher diff. levels is a pain is because that is not really a "feature" - it is more in the nature of an oversight or laziness. The programmers either forgot to, or just decided not to, put in code to prevent end-users from using this little undocumented 'trick.'

Most players, when they feel that SP has gotten boring, move to MP, or solo-MP. Solo-MP, in case you hadn't heard of this, is playing in the MP game by yourself - and you don't even have to be hooked up to the internet to do it. Ummm, I'll be lazy and quote from my glossary, rather than rewrite the info:

"This refers to playing MP by yourself; this can even be done without being hooked up to the Internet by choosing among either the IPX, Modem, or Direct Cable Connection choices. However, note that using the Modem setting can interfere with incoming voice calls!! [I found out the hard way; my 80+ year-old mother was baffled (and not amused!) by that screeching sound she kept getting when she called me :) ]

So, if you want to use the modem setting, it's best to unplug the phone line from your modem first. Also, I believe for the IPX setting to work, you have to have some basic Windows networking modules loaded, even if you aren't hooked up to a LAN. Thus, the Direct Cable Connection seems to be the best choice, but many people use one of the other two."

Solo-MP offers several advantages over SP. For one, the monster density is higher, so each diff. level is inherently harder, and, IIRC, leveling is thus slightly faster. Two, the entrances to the different parts of the dungeon are always open, as long as you are a certain minimum clvl. Hmmm, it's been so long since I wrote about this, the other advantages won't come to mind at the moment... :blush: Well, I suspect others will be glad to remind me. :D

On the other hand, drawbacks include fewer quests and no 'full' save (i.e., the entire state of the dungeon is not saved, like in SP; only the state of your character is saved under certain conditions - or when you exit the game).

Now, personally, I've always rather liked SP, I feel the quests add a lot to the texture of the game (though I certainly spent a lot of time playing solo-MP after my initial play-through, after I found the DSF). The last couple of playing periods I had with Diablo, I focused on the Immortal Hero variant, which is more appropriate for SP than MP. Heroes only have one life, as well as spell and equipment restrictions (yet the rule list is much shorter than for most other variants). So, if you get bored with regular SP, and aren't ready to move on to the MP environment, or after you are bored with that too, consider coming back to SP and trying an Immortal Hero (basic rules are on my website, in a DSF post by Pete).

Oh, and in regards to age of posters here, you might want to check out the DSF Breakdown, in the "Oldies but Goldies" section of the Archive of Chaos on my website. I think that version was done a few months to a year before the DSF was canceled, so it's what, 3-4 years old now? Hmmm, does anyone remember just when the DSF WAS canceled? My memory of the date of it's demise is getting hazy... Mirajj made a couple of attempts to update it in regards to those who continued to post on the LL (and add new posters), but, AFAIK, no compiled documents ever got posted after the threads about updating.

I hope this info is helpful or interesting.

Regards,

Dako-ta

Newbies are invited to check out my website, which includes a Glossary of slang, jargon, and acronyms used here, plus other useful stuff like SoulToucher's handy-dandy Experience Point Table, several guides, etc.

http://home.att.net/~diablo.miscellanea/