Defense rating lowers crit heal %
I think i have found a bug, it appears that the higher a character's defense rating, the less chance there is of a critical heal effect working on them, testing for this included several hundred casts of flash heal on our guilds' Main tank who has over 400 defense, took an average of 13 casts to get a critical effect.

On myself and others with 300 defense rating average of 5 casts to get a critical heal.

I originally noticed this because my inspiration talent never seemed to proc on our MT but very often on myself and others.
Woah... nice work.
MongoJerry,Jul 4 2005, 04:03 AM Wrote:Woah... nice work.
[right][snapback]82376[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure this is a bug though. I have heard warriors talking about getting a high defensive skill so that they get less crits done to them while tanking. It makes them take more even damage and so be easier to heal. It stands to reason that if it makes crits happen less often for tanks being hit by mobs, that it would effect all other crits being done to them as well. So, to me, it feels like a purposeful choice rather than a bug. This way one has to decide if stopping damage crits is worth also stopping healing crits.
swirly,Jul 4 2005, 01:48 PM Wrote:I'm not sure this is a bug though.  I have heard warriors talking about getting a high defensive skill so that they get less crits done to them while tanking.  It makes them take more even damage and so be easier to heal.  It stands to reason that if it makes crits happen less often for tanks being hit by mobs, that it would effect all other crits being done to them as well.  So, to me, it feels like a purposeful choice rather than a bug.  This way one has to decide if stopping damage crits is worth also stopping healing crits.

No, this is clearly a bug. +Defence is supposed to stop you from being hit so hard, but it's not supposed to affect how positive effects affect you. The balance side to +defence is simply that to get a lot of it, you have to sacrifice in other stats.

This bug makes me wonder about how +defence affects damage spells on the tank. My impression had always been that +defence only affected physical attacks and that +resistance were what affected magic attacks. However, if +defence reduces the rate of healing crits, then it stands to reason that it affects magic attack crit rates as well.
MongoJerry,Jul 4 2005, 03:11 PM Wrote:This bug makes me wonder about how +defence affects damage spells on the tank.  My impression had always been that +defence only affected physical attacks and that +resistance were what affected magic attacks.  However, if +defence reduces the rate of healing crits, then it stands to reason that it affects magic attack crit rates as well.
[right][snapback]82405[/snapback][/right]

This makes some sense as you tend to get signficantly more crits against lower level mobs whether you are attacking melee as a rogue would or with magic as a mage would. To scale this at a similar rate it would make sense (for programming simplicity) to tie this to one skill (defense). The PvP and healing aspects of this might be an unintentional side-effect. Of course they could just as easily be 'working as intended'.

It is a good catch though. An obscure issue, but important and interesting.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian,Jul 9 2005, 08:25 PM Wrote:It is a good catch though.  An obscure issue, but important and interesting.

I think it's particularly important for those priests who purposely get the Inspiration talent that boosts your target's armor whenever they're hit by a critical heal. Most priests don't get this talent, but those who do are very proud of it as a way to keep their main tanks alive. If they're not crit'ing as much as they think, then they're not getting as much benefit out of that talent as they should.
MongoJerry,Jul 11 2005, 01:16 PM Wrote:I think it's particularly important for those priests who purposely get the Inspiration talent that boosts your target's armor whenever they're hit by a critical heal.  Most priests don't get this talent, but those who do are very proud of it as a way to keep their main tanks alive.  If they're not crit'ing as much as they think, then they're not getting as much benefit out of that talent as they should.
[right][snapback]83091[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, it's rather annoying to have inspiration go off on the mages more than it does on the tanks. I miss when Gnolack was younger and I would crit heal him frequently and get the inspiration up there. It makes a big difference in damage reduction. And now, it hardly ever procs on the little bugger.
Intolerant monkey.