Warping Mobs
Was it patch 1.5 that re-introduced this? Various snares (especially Frost Nova) make this more apparent. Freeze a mob in place and then get some distance. When the freeze wears off, the mob will appear to warp right next to the player. In reality, the mob is still running to the player, evidenced by the fact that the "warped" mob will not actually hit the player for a few seconds while appearing to be right next to them. This happened in beta sometimes but I haven't seen it until, AFAIK, version 1.5.

What I'm not sure of is if other warping is related. I've seen mobs zip around the screen at time, leading to hilarious results. I think it has something to do with fleeing mobs being processed incorrectly between client and server. With my mage shooting Frostbolts, a mob upon death warped about 30 yards away and then immediately snapped back to where he was originally on my screen. What was funny was that my frostbolt followed him around and zigzagged all over my screen like a heat-seeking missile. You had to be there.

As far as I know, this only affects mobs and does not impact PvP play.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jul 7 2005, 12:02 PM Wrote:I think it has something to do with fleeing mobs being processed incorrectly between client and server.
[right][snapback]82694[/snapback][/right]

I noticed a few oddities with mobs I'd feared the last night or maybe two (since I've been using fear with my Warlock more) but just had contributed it to latency since mine was higher than usual last night.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Bolty,Jul 7 2005, 04:02 PM Wrote:As far as I know, this only affects mobs and does not impact PvP play.

-Bolty

Oh it does. Although it might not have same exact causes, I think they all share some bad piece of code that causes this. Specifically, it affects fear, and the best part is that it affects both "Fearer" and the "Fearee". For example, with Priests fear, the Priest and his friends will notice that someone who got feared will run off in one direction, but often attempts to chase down that person, hit them or shoot at them will result in "out of range" or "facing wrong direction" error. Then the person snaps back to some other place, often right back to the spot that they were feared at. And the person who got feared often experiences the same thing! Their character is running in fear, then snaps back and teleports quite a bit of distance to the "correct" position.
I have noticed things like that at times ever since release. 1.5 seems to have made it a lot worse though. Stunning the mob will still generally get it's position synched up though.

I've seen lots of corpses flying around since 1.5 as well. But I think the issue has always been there, something in 1.5 just made it more common.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I agree that this is worse in 1.5. I saw lots of mobs warping around last night. We weren't using fear, but had some frostbolts and charge-stuns.

What's really funny is when you see a corpse motoring around. Kinda creepy. Haven't seen that since release though.
Xanthix,Jul 7 2005, 02:22 PM Wrote:What's really funny is when you see a corpse motoring around. Kinda creepy. Haven't seen that since release though.
[right][snapback]82737[/snapback][/right]
We got to see a corpse still standing upright a couple of days ago. It wasn't moving like they used to, but it certainly didn't look like a corpse.
Intolerant monkey.
Bolty,Jul 7 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:Was it patch 1.5 that re-introduced this?
Is 1.5 the most recent patch? I really don't pay attention to the version, just the fact that it was patched. I seem to remember it showing up some time ago, prior to the most recent patch, but certainly immediately following a patch. Being a frost mage, it affects my bread and butter and I commented on the first or second fight under that patch. Being that Lochnar is frost specced, his frostbolts have a chance to freeze so baddies were jumping all over. I actually have the warp timing down so that I know, based on where they froze when they warped, where they actually are and if I am about to be hit. The best warp is when they have warped to you, your shot kills them and then they run back and fall over dead. Oops, I died back there! :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Jul 7 2005, 05:39 PM Wrote:The best warp is when they have warped to you, your shot kills them and then they run back and fall over dead.&nbsp; Oops, I died back there!&nbsp; :lol:
[right][snapback]82766[/snapback][/right]

I get a kick out of lagged dragonkin...They fall over dead...or at least their bottom half does, stretching them very thin, until the top realizes the bottom has died, and falls over to join it. ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Banish, fear, charm, I've seen the warping everywhere and since before 1.5.. BUT

I must agree on the dragonkin warp remark. Funniest thing ever.
Bolty,Jul 7 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:As far as I know, this only affects mobs and does not impact PvP play.

-Bolty

This actually has HUGE impacts on PvP. I've had 5 matches of WG where i've been feared and instead of running off a while i run for a second then stand still and when the fear wears off i just fall through the map. From what i can tell it's an issue when the server trys to put my character at the place the fear says i should be but that place isn't a real place. Problem is my character suffers a death but doesn't get any rez message so you have to use the Unstick option which, last i checked dropped you out of the battle grounds. either way anytime this happens my character is completely removed from the BG. I haven't played in any BG matches lately for this exact reason. the last 3 i played i got feared through the bottom of the map.

I also noticed an issue somewhat like the mob displacement you mention with my alts. My friends mage and my warrior were fighting in westfall and he would pull a boar and when it got in range i would charge it. right when my charge would hit the incomming boar the boar would warp directly to my friends mage. i'm not sure if this particular issue has anything to do with these boar's ability to charge as well. IE my charge stuns them as they charge and when my stun wears off in a second it acts as if their charge has transpired and moves the mob to it's destination.
Mirajj,Jul 7 2005, 05:53 PM Wrote:I get a kick out of lagged dragonkin...They fall over dead...or at least their bottom half does, stretching them very thin, until the top realizes the bottom has died, and falls over to join it. ;)
[right][snapback]82770[/snapback][/right]

I saw this with a zombie in duskwood last night. Funniest thing ever! the bottom half of the zombie fell dead while the top half floated in the air doing a little dance for 3 seconds.
This bug was already in the game pre 1.5, noticeable mainly with Frost Nova. Patch 1.5 seems to have aggravated the bug. Also, as a heads up, this bug can be quite dangerous when dealing with mobs that flee. Basically, snares and root effects have a chance of triggering the bug when the mobs are fleeing, causing them to warp forward to what I assume is their destination, before warping back to where they started to flee. Why is this dangerous? This warp-forward AGGROES mobs. I had a wipe at archivist Galford on a five-man of Scarlet Strat because of this warp bug, the mob ported to the doorway of his room aggroing it completely, and then ported back to us.
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

- Manowar
Chesspiece_face,Jul 8 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:I saw this with a zombie in duskwood last night.&nbsp; Funniest thing ever!&nbsp; the bottom half of the zombie fell dead while the top half floated in the air doing a little dance for 3 seconds.
[right][snapback]82916[/snapback][/right]

I think they've always done that.
I've noticed this a bunch, so far, most notably against Onyxia. Instead of flying from place to place in her lair during Phase 2, I've gotten used to seeing her warp around going from in wand range to being suddenly on the opposite side of the area.
-TheDragoon
Maybe they all learned the Picard maneuver as a special skill?
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.