Low Level Leatherworking?
Wasn't sure if this was strategy or general discussion so feel free to move it if needed :)

I was wondering if anyone had any clues as to what's the lowest item or items a leatherworker can produce that will actually make any profit from selling to vendor? I understand the fact that until you get to dragonscale and all that there's no major money to be made but as regards to selling to vendors when you take into account the cost of the other reagents (after I've skinned the leather myself) and the amount you get for selling the light leather as trade goods, it's worth more to just sell the raw materials instead of making things.
The Phrozen Keep
Serving the D2 mod community since 2000.
Phrozen Heart,Jul 10 2005, 07:14 AM Wrote:Wasn't sure if this was strategy or general discussion so feel free to move it if needed :)

I was wondering if anyone had any clues as to what's the lowest item or items a leatherworker can produce that will actually make any profit from selling to vendor? I understand the fact that until you get to dragonscale and all that there's no major money to be made but as regards to selling to vendors when you take into account the cost of the other reagents (after I've skinned the leather myself) and the amount you get for selling the light leather as trade goods, it's worth more to just sell the raw materials instead of making things.
[right][snapback]82995[/snapback][/right]

I don't think this ever happens -- if it does, your profits will be extremely marginal. The economics are supposed to be balanced such that if you manage to somehow make a profit off of a production profession it will be from selling to players, not vendors.

If it's money you're after, drop leatherworking altogether and auction the skin. I think Blizzard's approach has been "production professions are their own reward". You spend hundreds of gold in pursuit of profession skill points.
vor_lord,Jul 10 2005, 08:51 AM Wrote:I don't think this ever happens -- if it does, your profits will be extremely marginal.  The economics are supposed to be balanced such that if you manage to somehow make a profit off of a production profession it will be from selling to players, not vendors.

If it's money you're after, drop leatherworking altogether and auction the skin.  I think Blizzard's approach has been "production professions are their own reward".  You spend hundreds of gold in pursuit of profession skill points.
[right][snapback]83001[/snapback][/right]

and leatherworking is one of the worst of them. You can only rarely make much of a profit from selling to other players.

There ARE some recipes that make money to vendors though. They just don't make much money.

THe skinning market on Terenas is not all that good though. Other servers may be similar.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
i'm not sure what the lowest level item is... but nightscape tunics & headbands (~205 LW) sell to vendors for 7s per thick leather... so if you aren't getting 73.5s+ for a stack of 10 thick leather at the AH, you should be selling the two above items to vendors...

there was a time when thick leather routinely went for 45-75s/stack in the AH and i would buy that and sell to vendors for a slim profit (~10s/stack)... or buy 8+ stacks in bulks from other players to save them on AH fees (and generate more profit for me)... the recipe that allowed thick to be converted to rugged seems to have cut down on the supply a lot though... this assumes you don't mind spending 5 minutes queuing up your crafter to churn out 20x of the above items...

Thanks for the info :) For now I'll just stick with handing out free embossed leather with a +8 patch in Goldshire then :D (Might as well, it gets my trade skill up ;))
The Phrozen Keep
Phrozen Heart,Jul 10 2005, 07:32 PM Wrote:Thanks for the info :) For now I'll just stick with handing out free embossed leather with a +8 patch in Goldshire then :D (Might as well, it gets my trade skill up ;))
[right][snapback]83023[/snapback][/right]

Like everyone has said, Leatherworking is NOT a profit-maker. The few who would buy the items generally are also Leatherworkers, and so gain no benefit (generally) from your sales. However, Skinning, which is both MUCH easier to raise and a better profiit-maker, can churn you a couple bucks at the AH. Tailors and Armorsmiths both need Leather, as do Leatherworkers (who generally are lazy), so good leather is always in demand.

There are a few gems that can turn a profit (usually in the AH, though), but those are hard to craft due to the materials involved and thus cannot be relied upon for a steady income. Farming leather and selling the excess on the AH is your best bet. You truly won't see many useful wares until ~175 and beyond, and by that point the ingredients are either required in high quantities (16 Heavy Leather and 2 Cured Heavy Hides, plus Silk Thread, just to make one pair of Dusky Bracers... ICK!) or have hard-to-come-by ingredients (Irridescent Pearls, Jade, and Citrine to make Gem-Studded belt? Eww...).

As long as you can make enough to keep yourself afloat, that's what matters.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jul 11 2005, 05:10 PM Wrote:As long as you can make enough to keep yourself afloat, that's what matters.
That statement pretty much covers it.

In the end I decided to scrap leather/skinning in favor of mining/blacksmithing which not only produced goods which others seem to want more frequently, it will hopefully also save my warrior some money on regular armor upgrades every time I meet the new levelreq (scalemail was a b%&^ ;)).
The Phrozen Keep
Phrozen Heart,Jul 11 2005, 06:00 PM Wrote:That statement pretty much covers it.

In the end I decided to scrap leather/skinning in favor of mining/blacksmithing which not only produced goods which others seem to want more frequently, it will hopefully also save my warrior some money on regular armor upgrades every time I meet the new levelreq (scalemail was a b%&^ ;)).
[right][snapback]83139[/snapback][/right]

And I don't quite understand all this, as I made a steady-if-not-spectacular income from leather goods in the AH from Embossed Leather Vest on up.....

Edit: and can make 50g in a couple hours from it if I wish to about any day of the week. 2 hours in winterspring=50g. Ok, so it's no better than the reputed 25g/hr that I've never found, but it's rather easy. 80g if I stay another hour.

--Mav
I guess it just depends on the demand of your server in that particular period. At a higher level I might switch back but I highly doubt it ;)
The Phrozen Keep
Mavfin,Jul 12 2005, 11:18 AM Wrote:And I don't quite understand all this, as I made a steady-if-not-spectacular income from leather goods in the AH from Embossed Leather Vest on up.....

Edit: and can make 50g in a couple hours from it if I wish to about any day of the week.  2 hours in winterspring=50g.  Ok, so it's no better than the reputed 25g/hr that I've never found, but it's rather easy.  80g if I stay another hour.
[right][snapback]83242[/snapback][/right]

You are tribal aren't you?

Elemental and Dragonscale I don't think can do that. If they can I'd like to know how.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Jul 12 2005, 11:22 AM Wrote:You are tribal aren't you?

Elemental and Dragonscale I don't think can do that.  If they can I'd like to know how.
[right][snapback]83246[/snapback][/right]

You're correct, I'm tribal. Warbear and Ironfeather make good bucks.
--Mav