Come play Lineage 2 for free
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been playing on a free Lineage 2 server. If you don't know what Lineage 2 is, it's the most popular MMORPG in terms of players. It's fairly typical of most MMORPGs.

The races are Human, Orc, Dwarf, Elf, and Dark Elf. Female Elves have big boobs :wub: There are piles of classes. You start out as either a Fighter or a Mystic, and when you reach level 20 and level 40 you can further refine your profession. At level 40, there are a boatload of unique classes.

The graphics are pretty decent. It's probably on-par with WoW or Guild Wars, only a bit gloomier. The music is fantastic. The interface is also pretty standard. My only beef with it is that is uses a "click to move" system which takes a bit of getting used to if you are accustomed to WASD.

Anyways, here's how to join up. The server is run by isoGames. You'll need to create an account on that website. You use an email address as the website account, and you specify a user account for the game.

Lineage 2 is a free download. Get it here (1.88 GB). Install the game, but whatever you do DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINEAGEII.EXE GAME LAUNCHER! Delete the Lineage 2 shortcut from your desktop entirely. Never, ever use it. Do not attempt to install any official patches of any kind.

To configure your installation of Lineage 2 to connect to the isoGames server, download this isoGames patch.

Create a shortcut to a file called L2.exe, which resides in the \system directory of your Lineage 2 installation. The default path is C:\Program Files\Lineage II\System.

Double-click L2.exe and log into your isoGames Lineage 2 account. Create a character and enjoy :)

About the server

It is set at 15x experience and drops. I've never played retail, but everyone seems to agree that it is a huge grindfest. 15x experience makes things pretty enjoyable.

There are a few bugs with the server binaries, but nothing too severe. The most notable is that if you switch from a bow to a dagger your character stops moving and becomes unresponsive. The solution to this is to create a Private Store and cancel, or just don't switch from a bow to a dagger :)

It can be pretty tough to login at times. They just updated the server files and while they are working the bugs out they have imposed a character limit. It can take a few minutes to login. Just keep trying and you'll get in.

My account name is "deebye" and I usually play as an Orc Raider named "Blunder". I like to carry around bigassed dual swords.
Sounds a lot like BNetD all over again.

I think I'll stick to Guild Wars for now.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
To my mind, the biggest problem with it is that you have to pay for it eventually... :rolleyes: Tad shy o' the green right now, and nobody in their right mind would give me a credit card. (The companies who distribute said credit cards are not in their right minds. I keep finding bits of credit card with my name on them in the shredder.)

EDIT: Also, it's a 1.88 gig file, even zipped. So not only do I need money, I need time. Lots and lots of time. I would need less time if the computers were still downloading at megs per second, like I know BLOODY WELL they can...
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
I was in the L2 beta, and I continued into retail for a couple of months until I gave up in disgust.

Unless they've drastically altered things, the game is just awful. It's very pretty, and it's loads of fun through around level 14. Then it becomes less fun into the 20s, as you run out of useful quests. By the time I reached level 24, there were no more new quests available at all until level 40. Your only choice at that point was to either run a repeatable quest which had extremely diminishing returns, or grind, grind, grind. For a game which had a level cap of 75, that was just intolerable. I managed to get to level 29 before I just never felt the urge to log in at all.
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Darian,Jul 22 2005, 06:45 PM Wrote:Unless they've drastically altered things, the game is just awful.  It's very pretty, and it's loads of fun through around level 14.  Then it becomes less fun into the 20s, as you run out of useful quests.
[right][snapback]84087[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. Lineage 2 sucks. It looks nice and is fun for a little while, but overall it's a waste of time.
DeeBye,Jul 23 2005, 04:13 AM Wrote:Agreed.  Lineage 2 sucks.  It looks nice and is fun for a little while, but overall it's a waste of time.
[right][snapback]84095[/snapback][/right]

I tried it and the darkelf females err rear end is a bit in the way of my playing, even the little dwarf is hsowing her panties as she runs, not something i want to look at too much. Now i know you guys dont mind it but geezs ... give the lady some PANTS not a leather thong to wear. Also just got a email from the server asking for donations to keep it online, if only i could.
mommie,Jul 23 2005, 12:45 AM Wrote:I tried it and the darkelf females err rear end is a bit in the way of my playing, even the little dwarf is hsowing her panties as she runs, not something i want to look at too much. Now i know you guys dont mind it but geezs ... give the lady some PANTS not a leather thong to wear.  Also just got a email from the server asking for donations to keep it online, if only i could.
[right][snapback]84096[/snapback][/right]
If you can find ONE male computer programmer that you can convince to dress female characters decently - or even give them half-@$$ reasonable proportions - I will kiss your feet and invite you to my wedding. I will MARRY said programmer.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Do some guys honestly buy games for the pixelated babes? I have the distinct impression that game companies have convinced themselves that more computer generated fake boobies = more sales, when it is in fact not true.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Jul 26 2005, 04:26 PM Wrote:Do some guys honestly buy games for the pixelated babes? I have the distinct impression that game companies have convinced themselves that more computer generated fake boobies = more sales, when it is in fact not true.
[right][snapback]84434[/snapback][/right]

As a red blooded young man, I view any nice pixelated babes as a bonus, not actually an important aspect of the game. A little eye candy doesn't hurt in my mind, but it must be done with taste and moderation. I choose a game on its gameplay foremost, storyline and writing secondary, and graphics a distant third place.

On the other hand, many console games with scantily clad heroines do quite well in sales. Some of the game companies have simply picked up on this, and realise that catching the eyes of your average teenage male may be worth turning off a few of your more mature players. Take a look at most any playstation 1 or 2 roleplaying game, and check out who's on the cover. Most fighting games also showcase female characters on the covers. Babes are no substitute for good gameplay, but they can certainly call attention to your game. Look at some of D2's promo posters featuring the amazon; they certainly made her eye catching in proportion, even though D2 doesn't really count on its graphics for sales.

The entertainment market in general has proven that sex sells. Look at movies and television nowadays. How long did Baywatch run? Then there's the less extreme such as Law and Order SUV. It's identical to the original Law and Order, except every crime is a sex crime. Talk about catering to the market. I can't really blame the game companies for cashing in.

Quote: have the distinct impression that game companies have convinced themselves that more computer generated fake boobies = more sales, when it is in fact not true.

Look to japan, and you'll see an absolutley enormous market for fake boobies. Many of our games in the US have large asian influences in their developemant.

EDIT: As an example of CGI babes, I was just thinking about Flagship's trailer for hellgate:london and what I was thinking as they first showed the female templar:

1. Wow, she looks great in that form fitting jump suit.
2. That armor is completely ridiculous.
3. She looks alot like the girl in that awful final fantasy movie.

I would have been just as happy with the trailer if she had been decked out head to toe in full plate, but the way they designed her certainly appeals to the male crowd. Now if only we had some good idea of the actual gameplay...
Mithrandir,Jul 26 2005, 04:26 PM Wrote:Do some guys honestly buy games for the pixelated babes? [right][snapback]84434[/snapback][/right]

Isn't that the whole point of video games? Besides, if the game doesn't have hot babes, you have zero chance of making a successful movie trilogy based on it.
Baajikiil,Jul 28 2005, 05:33 PM Wrote:Law and Order SUV
[right][snapback]84555[/snapback][/right]

Law and Order Sport Utility Vehicles?
;D

Yeah, I'm 18, male and straight but I think the sex appeal in games is ridiculous. For anyone who plays WoW, the female armor is incredibly anti-functional. It's hard to stop an arrow when the armor is only covering the absolute extrememties :P Perhaps some 11-13 year boys would be more inclined to buy a game (no offense to any 11-13 year old boys reading this) but I can't see how it really makes an impact in profits.

Movies are another story as the whole entertainment value of a movie is visual. Games offer much more entertainment beyond the eye-candy.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:Law and Order Sport Utility Vehicles?
;D

That sounds like a likely spin off :whistling:

Of course, I meant SVU (special victims unit).
Lady Vashj,Jul 26 2005, 04:17 PM Wrote:If you can find ONE male computer programmer that you can convince to dress female characters decently - or even give them half-@$$ reasonable proportions - I will kiss your feet and invite you to my wedding.  I will MARRY said programmer.
[right][snapback]84430[/snapback][/right]
That might not be a good idea. He might be gay :S
channel1,Aug 2 2005, 02:17 PM Wrote:That might not be a good idea. He might be gay :S
[right][snapback]84929[/snapback][/right]

A marriage in name only might be better if he were gay.

Quote:If you can find ONE male computer programmer that you can convince to dress female characters decently - or even give them half-@$$ reasonable proportions

Oddly enough in morrowind, the original designs of said women were positively anorexic, but adequately covered up. What's stranger upon further investigation designers of said anorexic women were by women. They were however, so far removed from looking like normal humans that they were their own doll race with their own proportions and only coincidental reseblence to humans--for this incarnation anyways. But anorexic is as anorexic does, and Morrowind NPCs out of the box are too skinny and oddly proportioned.

The armor however, was all designed for men originally and all said armor is flat and not female form fitting in chest or waist area. At least everyone was pretty decently covered up originally. There were naked folk in the prior incarnation, but those were undressed accordingly to their profession and location, not in leather/mail/plate thongs pretending to be armor.

Of course MW modding community changed all that with the "Better bodies" project. Muahahaha.
You mean like Doom?
Hate to derail the topic back to the original post but...

I downloaded all 1.8 gigs of L2, decompressed, and tried to install. When I start the setup.exe file I get this:

Quote:Setup has experienced an error.
Please do the following:
-Close any running programs
-Empty your temporary folder
-Check your internet connection (Internet based setups)

Then try to run Setup again.

Well, I did it all but nothing changed. Is it possible somethin is corrupted? Did it not decompress correctly?
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
ima_nerd,Aug 3 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:Hate to derail the topic back to the original post but...

I downloaded all 1.8 gigs of L2, decompressed, and tried to install. When I start the setup.exe file I get this:
Well, I did it all but nothing changed. Is it possible somethin is corrupted? Did it not decompress correctly?
[right][snapback]85040[/snapback][/right]

I don't know. It installed fine for me.
Well, it turns out the data2.cab file is corrupt. The patch is corrupt too. I've redownloaded both the game and the patch but it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas?
:angry: :) <_< :wub: ;) :wacko: :w00t: :unsure: :ph34r: :ph34r: :rolleyes: :o :mellow: :blush: :blink: :P :shuriken: :shuriken: :whistling: kool so i was like u suck
Ghostiger,Aug 3 2005, 11:01 AM Wrote:You mean like Doom?
[right][snapback]85025[/snapback][/right]
Doom 3 doesn't have any hot babes in it? I'm having a hard time believing that.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.