Healing in Raids
Tal,Jul 14 2005, 05:13 PM Wrote:My preference would be for the healers to handle their own groups and only heal a group without a healer and during boss encounters like the General.
[right][snapback]83503[/snapback][/right]
Cheer!

I used to to a lot of cross-healing in raids (MC/Ony) but I found that I was really doing it more to be useful than because it was needed. I wasn't usually saving a life, I was topping up from 60-80% to full. If I'd waited a few seconds, the healer in the group would have done it anyhow.

For any instance where you have adequate healing for the boss encounters, you're pretty much guaranteed to be overstocked on healers for the trash. So having finally figured that out (Duh!), now I typically sit back now and dispell or just chill out while other healers go LOM/OOM, then step into rotation. By the point that I'm up, the others are down and I can cross-heal my face off without wasting effort or mana.

The one thing that we've found is that we can move faster through the MC trash if the pullers just keep chain pulling and the healers fall into an informal rotation. Some of us will be drinking in the back ranks while others heal for a pull or two, and then we switch. Works well, and nobody's standing around with full mana and trying to stuff in extra healing on targets that frankly don't need it.

Kv
Gnollguy,Jul 15 2005, 10:31 AM Wrote:I did turn on over heal protection last night.  It works for when you are focus healing one target. However it doesn't work at all for how I usually heal.
[right][snapback]83548[/snapback][/right]

Yeah it takes a while to get used to, but IMHO it's worth it to learn to go F3 then flash heal # as opposed to the other way around. It's not that hard of a habit to break, and you won't notice the difference - my normal "someone needs a heal" routine is f3, 1, tab. End result is the same, and I can take advantage of overheal protection.

Of course, I'm zealous in terms of mana efficiency and taking as much advantage of the 5 second mana regen rule as I can, so I wait as long as I can to burst heal. (I normally don't need to drink at all in UBRS *grin*) So normally the overheal protection *does* kick in, as some druid gets antsy and heals the target. I don't mind though, even though it normally gets me called a "noob healer". Meh. I know when I need to heal and when I don't.

Also, saw some discussion of greater heal earlier on in the thread - in UBRS, I wouldn't use it. Or the druid version of it (think it's healing touch?). I know it's crazy more mana efficient, but it's just too scary for the other healers to see a warrior go down to 30-40% life then back up to 80% over and over. At the end of the day, fast heals reign supreme unfortunately.
Treesh,Jul 14 2005, 01:58 PM Wrote:Again, I have no idea if what I'm doing is right or wrong and no one ever actually tells me.  Since I have to ninja-heal my own group so frequently lately just to be able to do something, it's become more of a contest just to see if I can actually get in heals before a bored priest does it for me so lots of mana is wasted or else I'm bored to tears and stop caring about healing at all.
[right][snapback]83476[/snapback][/right]

My guess is that nobody in the raid even notices. maybe the other healers. The people fighting certainly aren't paying attention to who is healing who how much. I mean, it's pretty difficult to follow who is healing who when you're a healer, let alone when you are busy worrying about trying to be #1 DPS-whore on combatstats.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.