Reinstalling D:II
Some of the old-timers may remember me, the newbies will not. Anyways, last year I had to reformat my HD and reinstall Windows. This was due to spyware and virus problems. Before doing this I had downloaded the 1.10 patch of DII and installed it. I have almost all of my games except for all of my Blizzard games (D1, D2 & Starcraft. Dont ask me why). 2 things I want to know about reinstalling it. One is what would the best way to reinstall and get the patch back in? All the characters are on 1.10. 2ndly, I cant seem to locate the LOD CD folder anywhere. I have the disc, but the not folder that has the CD key on it. Will I really need it? I do not ever go on Battle.net at all. I only play single player and with my friends. What should I do.

I do want to say hi to Occhi, DeeBye, Gris and Bolty if they remember me.
**Paul**
I will make weapons from your bones--Smith
"I am pond scum"--Bull Shannon from Night Court
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
Deadlyman,Jul 17 2005, 09:39 PM Wrote:One is what would the best way to reinstall and get the patch back in? All the characters are on 1.10. 2ndly, I cant seem to locate the LOD CD folder anywhere. I have the disc, but the not folder that has the CD key on it. Will I really need it? I do not ever go on Battle.net at all. I only play single player and with my friends.
[right][snapback]83659[/snapback][/right]

You'll need your LoD cd key to be able to reinstall it, even if you aren't playing on battle.net. As for patching, just install it and connect to battle.net. Your game will autopatch. You can also apply the patch manually. You can get it here.
I think this is the appropriate place. I am also reinstalling DII after a few years sabbatical. I had to go and purchase another copy. I have Winblowz XP and the install went fine, I easily have all the system requirements. When I went to start playing the game, the screen goes black and behind this a little box pops up "unhandled exception error."

I checked out the Buzzard support site and did what they said, which was to close all programs running in the background. I closed everything except my anti-virus and spyware programs. I emailed Buzzard, and I am waiting for a reply. Is there anything else I should try before hearing back from them? Thanks ahead of time!
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Jul 19 2005, 12:59 PM Wrote:I think this is the appropriate place. I am also reinstalling DII after a few years sabbatical. I had to go and purchase another copy. I have Winblowz XP and the install went fine, I easily have all the system requirements. When I went to start playing the game, the screen goes black and behind this a little box pops up "unhandled exception error." [right][snapback]83821[/snapback][/right]
Diablo 2 doesn't run on xp (or 2k) until v 1.06 or so (might be 1.04, not sure). Since that also means you're probably (it's been a while since my last install) unable to connect to battle.net for the auto-update, you'll have to go to the website and download the patch from there, run it, then game.

Also make sure you run the vid test program before running the game.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Jul 19 2005, 04:14 PM Wrote:Diablo 2 doesn't run on xp (or 2k) until v 1.06 or so (might be 1.04, not sure).  Since that also means you're probably (it's been a while since my last install) unable to connect to battle.net for the auto-update, you'll have to go to the website and download the patch from there, run it, then game.

Also make sure you run the vid test program before running the game.
[right][snapback]83868[/snapback][/right]

Vid test went fine. Is 1.10 the newest patch for DII classic? I don't want to run the expansion. I remember people a long time ago talking about favorite patches. Can you download the patches seperately or is it just the most recent one? Thanks!
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Jul 19 2005, 10:01 PM Wrote:Vid test went fine. Is 1.10 the newest patch for DII classic? I don't want to run the expansion. I remember people a long time ago talking about favorite patches. Can you download the patches seperately or is it just the most recent one? Thanks!
[right][snapback]83889[/snapback][/right]

Hey look at all of these nifty patches! :)
DeeBye,Jul 19 2005, 09:30 PM Wrote:Hey look at all of these nifty patches! :)
[right][snapback]83892[/snapback][/right]

Just installed 1.10 a few hours ago, thank you for the link though! =D
WWBBD?
Yipeee for me!!! I found the DII LOD CD folder. So I dont have to buy a new one. Never did find one to buy anyways.

My question now, I know I need to copy my SAVE folder and then do the installation. After that, in what order do I get the patches? Can I go directly to 1.10 or do I have to get the previous ones first?
**Paul**
The last one is a line in the show. It is a very funny line. You have to watch the episode to understand the phrase.
Deadlyman,Aug 2 2005, 10:06 PM Wrote:Can I go directly to 1.10 or do I have to get the previous ones first?
[right][snapback]84977[/snapback][/right]

You can go directly to 1.10 (or 1.11 if you want the latest patch).

ZR
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
OK
I tried to install it last night, but it keeps coming up with a exception error. First one was on the video file and then on the map file. I am doing a full install to avoid CD swappings. Remember its been awhile since I have played.
**Paul**
Deadlyman,Aug 2 2005, 07:06 PM Wrote:Yipeee for me!!! I found the DII LOD CD folder. So I dont have to buy a new one. Never did find one to buy anyways.

My question now, I know I need to copy my SAVE folder and then do the installation. After that, in what order do I get the patches?  Can I go directly to 1.10 or do I have to get the previous ones first?
[right][snapback]84977[/snapback][/right]

I would recommend installing the 1.11 patch. Runewords such as enigma are now enabled for SP, from what I understand. Would make it well worth it. Would be even better if you can find Gheeds charm SP too, though I haven't heard anything about changes to that.
SetBuilder,Aug 4 2005, 03:22 PM Wrote:I would recommend installing the 1.11 patch. Runewords such as enigma are now enabled for SP, from what I understand. Would make it well worth it.
[right][snapback]85184[/snapback][/right]

Enigma is available for single player in patch 1.10.
Arreat Summit runewords list.

Patch 1.11 allows the four realm only runewords (Duress, Prudence, Splender, and Wind) in single player.

The ladder only runewords are not enabled for single player. They are now included in runes.txt which can be modified by changing a server [only] flag from 1 to 0. However, doing so gives you a modded game and you would no longer be playing plain vanilla D2. More information is available here.

ZR

"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha