Powerleveling and You
Bolty,Jan 11 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:Of course, you have to party for instance runs and elite quests.  So do so.

I agree partying is inefficient (although entertaining). Where I don't agree is that you have to party for elite quests. Just wait till they're green. If you can heal yourself you may even be able to solo them yellow

For instances yes, although in terms of efficiency the only instances worth running as a power-leveller are the ones where the item will provide a significant boost to your levelling speed after. So Ragefire Chasm, the Horde level 15 instance, is a waste of time because people are very raw and the rewards are unremarkable.

You may wish to run an instance for a specific drop, especially if weapons define your killing speed (Warrior, Rogue, Hunter). Razorfen Kraul is a good instance to do this as it's fast, has some useful drops like Corpsemaker and Swinetusk Shank, and is just high enough that people should have a bit of a clue

Quote:You might think that tradeskills have no place in a powerleveling guide.  Quite the contrary!  Tradeskills SHOULD be developed as quickly as possible, because from an efficiency standpoint it makes a lot more sense to develop tradeskills as you level up, than to waste hours and hours later on developing them in zones that give you no experience.

I don't agree with this. Levelling up a craft like blacksmith or tailoring is a big big money and time sink. The main issue is the money. If you take two gatherer professions and simply AH everything and vendor what gets returned you will be able to buy mounts and AH blues which will speed up your levelling

Now I'm not advocating this, I like to stop and play around with crafting but I'm very aware it's a brake on my speed not a boost

Secondly it's much faster to skill up when you're level 60 and rich than when you're progressing through the game. If you're twinking the character with money from an older character that of course may change, but even so it's a big gold sink - if your main goal is exp you'd be better advised to buy AH blues and purples than splash out on tradeskilling

Also if you're levelling fast you will almost never be able to make yourself armour that keeps up with quest rewards. The natural pace of a tradeskill is behind the natural pace of levelling up a character. Typically a level 40 character can make stuff for a level 30 one unless you've put extra effort into grinding resources

The tradeskills I would recommend to a power-leveller are

1) Enchanting. Mainly as a gatherer skill. Simply disenchant all your BoP items that don't get obviously high vendor prices and first AH, then disenchant if returned all your BoE items. Vendor the shards. Enchanting as a gatherer skill has the unique property that it takes negative bag space to perform since you can disenchant stuff in the field if you're full

2) Mining. The stuff sells well and it sells fast. Occasional gems are often a great cash bonus, especially with Engineering becoming increasingly popular amongst the general playing population. Stuff that doesn't sell vendors reasonably well. With a pick plus ore plus bars plus gems it is heavy on bag space

3) Herbalism. A lot of very sought after herbs and a lot of dross. Briarthorn and Swiftthistle sell well as does Fadeleaf (Swiftness Potions, Blinding powder). Silverleaf, Briarthorn, Goldthorn are key herbs for levelling up alchemy. Herbs generally vendor for very little, at least that helps put them up for Auction cheap. Heavy on bag space too, especially when zone hopping

4) Skinning. To my mind the worst of the gather for money skills. Your main customers are leatherworkers who can nearly all skin for themselves anyway. There aren't that many special hides that are worth anything - and to get much of them you would need to postpone questing and grind a very specific mob. Lastly it's the most time-consuming, you need to stop and spend time every fight (if you're fighting skinnable mobs).

5) First Aid. Very powerful, takes minimum effort to skill up

PvP

On a PvP server PvP makes you become a more competent player, gains you ranks, but does nothing to give you a higher level character. PvP is directly counter to power-levelling and the more time you spend pvping the slower you'll level.

Stats

The basic idea is that green mobs can barely hit you, certainly not enough to slow your killing by much. This means that stamina, armour, resists are marginal and that damage is key

This leads to a very simple list of optimum stats

Warrior, Paladin, enhancement Shaman: Strength, Agility a long way second (for crits)
Rogue: Agility, Strength
Hunter: Agility
Mage: Intelligence
Warlock, Priest, nuking Druid or Shaman: Spirit
Feral Druid: Strength, Agility

The melee choices are obvious.

For the casters Spirit beats Intelligence for grinding unless you constantly drink. Mages can constantly drink as a class feature. For the other nukers all that Intelligence (and in the Warlock's case, Stamina) adds is a bigger gas tank (aside from a negligible chance to crit). Since when killing fast your mana bar will almost never be full when you pull it doesn't make much difference whether you're 1200/2000 or 1200/1600. It does make a difference how fast you regain the thousand mana you dump on a mob to kill it
Brista,Jul 14 2005, 08:23 AM Wrote:I agree partying is inefficient (although entertaining). Where I don't agree is that you have to party for elite quests. Just wait till they're green. If you can heal yourself you may even be able to solo them yellow

For instances yes, although in terms of efficiency the only instances worth running as a power-leveller are the ones where the item will provide a significant boost to your levelling speed after. So Ragefire Chasm, the Horde level 15 instance, is a waste of time because people are very raw and the rewards are unremarkable.

[right][snapback]83439[/snapback][/right]

I strongly disagree with both of your points here, though I agree with the most of the rest.

Soloing green elite quests still takes a long time usually. The elite mobs don't give off much extra exp, certainly not enough to make up for the time it takes to kill them. They also require a lot of extra downtime. If the quest is at the bottom of a cave filled with elites, usually they have repoped by the time you find your objective, meaning you need to kill twice as many. Then there is the risk factor, since most elites are clumped pretty tight and are sometimes impossible to pull solo. The only time I'd reccomend powerleveling through elite quests is if its one you know you can ninja, or if you are duoing.

As far as the instances go, I reccomend doing WC and RFC atleast once. If you know what the quests are ahead of time (5 RFC 6 WC) you can go in and clear out a lot of quests with big XP rewards in 1-2 hours. Especially if you can call in baby alts from reliable guildies. The WC has a pretty good staff as a quest reward, and the BFD has a good wand.
oldmandennis,Jul 14 2005, 09:12 PM Wrote:As far as the instances go, I reccomend doing WC and RFC atleast once.  If you know what the quests are ahead of time (5 RFC 6 WC) you can go in and clear out a lot of quests with big XP rewards in 1-2 hours.  Especially if you can call in baby alts from reliable guildies.  The WC has a pretty good staff as a quest reward, and the BFD has a good wand.

What I actually said was best not to do instances unless the items you get will help you later on

I also think that doing RFC with baby alts from reliable guildies is probably a rather different experience to public pick-up groups.
Brista,Jul 15 2005, 05:49 AM Wrote:What I actually said was best not to do instances unless the items you get will help you later on

I also think that doing RFC with baby alts from reliable guildies is probably a rather different experience to public pick-up groups.
[right][snapback]83532[/snapback][/right]

Oh yeah. I took my 20 dwarf hunter and 4 other 18-21s from guild to VC 2 days ago. Baby alts of experienced players, all of them. I was teaching the warrior how to tank, her main(s) were druid and mage, and I was able to back her up with my pet, and so on. We were all playing out of position, really, but we had enough experience and understanding of pulls to make it fairly easy anyway. And of course we know about the spot on the ship where you'll pull the captain early if you're not careful, and worked around that. A good time was had by all, as everyone followed instructions, and we did have 1 wipe, caused by a new mage targeting the wrong mob, which the group just had a good laugh over, no yelling ensued or anything, so it was very unlike taking a pubbie group to VC/RFC/WC.

As far as items, nothing of huge consequence dropped, though the quest rewards are nice blues. We ran VC for fun, and for training purposes. We all knew the place backwards and forwards, but we didn't yet know our respective new alts that well, so it was a very good thing to do, running the place.

[If anyone cares, here's the group breakdown: a hunter (warrior main), a warrior (druid/mage mains), a rogue (hunter/priest mains), a mage (pally main), and a druid in healer spot (rogue main)]

--Mav