Planescape: Torment
I finally got around to buying this game recently. I've had a few occasional crashes, but now I am consistently crashing when using the portal to Baator near Fjhull's place. The game appears to autosave without a problem, and then crashes about halfway through loading the next map.

I have the 2-disc version, so the most recent patch is already applied, I don't have any other patches or mods, I've copied all the maps to my hard drive instead of playing off the CDs, and I'm running WinXP.

I've tried deleting the game's cache and temp folders, with no luck. Any other suggestions?
"Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about." -- Hubert Farnsworth, Futurama
I've never had a problem with that map, but that doesn't mean these folks haven't diagnosed something similar.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Reinstalling the game seems to have done the trick. The installer wouldn't work when I let the disc autoplay, but running it manually did. I read that's a common, but unexplained problem with XP.
"Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about." -- Hubert Farnsworth, Futurama
Another nice site that I've found very helpful at times is www.gamebanshee.com. It is a very nice site for those types of games. Spoilers do abound, but the forums there are generally helpful, much like the pocket plane group.

Also, I wonder if you recommend Ps: Torment. I currently have BG1, TotSC, BG2, and ToB. I've enjoyed these greatly, but I've never even looked at Torment.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Jul 24 2005, 04:46 AM Wrote:Also, I wonder if you recommend Ps: Torment.  I currently have BG1, TotSC, BG2, and ToB.  I've enjoyed these greatly, but I've never even looked at Torment.
[right][snapback]84118[/snapback][/right]

YES.

PLAY IT RIGHT NOW.

*hrm*

It's good, yeah. I'd recommend it quite a bit.
whathuh,Jul 24 2005, 01:46 PM Wrote:Another nice site that I've found very helpful at times is www.gamebanshee.com.  It is a very nice site for those types of games.  Spoilers do abound, but the forums there are generally helpful, much like the pocket plane group.

Also, I wonder if you recommend Ps: Torment.  I currently have BG1, TotSC, BG2, and ToB.  I've enjoyed these greatly, but I've never even looked at Torment.
[right][snapback]84118[/snapback][/right]

Planescape:Torment never received the accolades it deserved or the sales (approx. 78000 units as opposed to Diablo 2 and D2:LOD 1300000 units). There is a great deal of text in the game, (over one million words all told) not everyones cup of tea. It is a great game and Morte (The floating skull) is one of the funniest characters I have ever seen in any game.

Go grab it for sure. You will be so frustrated and addicted, you will love it. :D

"Don't let it end this way" - The Nameless One
It's a fantastic game, very story-oriented. I believe there are only three points in the entire game where combat is required, if you choose to play that way.
Tyderian,Jul 24 2005, 05:57 PM Wrote:It's a fantastic game, very story-oriented.  I believe there are only three points in the entire game where combat is required, if you choose to play that way.
[right][snapback]84155[/snapback][/right]
Three points? Wow. I know there are more places to fight and such if you want to, but I'm the type of infinity engine player (it is on the IEngine right?) who goes around looking for fights.

Quite frankly, I'm getting bored between online games, d2, sc, and the baldur's gate series, so this may be a good thing to get for ten bucks at Electronics Boutique.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Jul 24 2005, 08:46 PM Wrote:Three points? Wow.  I know there are more places to fight and such if you want to, but I'm the type of infinity engine player (it is on the IEngine right?) who goes around looking for fights.

Quite frankly, I'm getting bored between online games, d2, sc, and the baldur's gate series, so this may be a good thing to get for ten bucks at Electronics Boutique.
[right][snapback]84171[/snapback][/right]
Yep, it's an Infinity Engine game. My character hasn't been picking fights, but I'm sure one could still find plenty of combat.
I love the game because it's very roleplay-oriented. While you can't pick the gender or class of your character at the start of the game, you can develop your character to be whatever you want to be. (You're stuck as a man but the game's events transcend gender, IMO.)

Your actions also determine your alignment as you start the game True Neutral. It's VERY HARD to be Lawful Good in PS:T.

And as everyone else said, you can be as pacifistic or as sadistic as you want to be. There are few forced combats and, IIRC, you can dialogue with your combatants for a good long while if you wish. And pick as many fights as you wish.

The only downside is the onscreen interface. If you're used to the BG/IWD sidebar interface, PS:T's radial controls will slow you down for a while, but once you learn them, it's pretty easy.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.