Tournament Thinger...
Ok, being an IT guy where I work allows me some free time to goof off or do what I want (minus WoW).

After reading a series of Battletech books, I decided I wanted to make a game in the Battletech universe. What was born (er, still being born) is a strategy, almost Risk kind of game. Now, it had its own little twist here and there to make it mine, such as the way battles were carried out. So... when I have free time, I throw together a little tournament, using my battle algorithms, and carry it out. The first time through (and so far the only time), I used some of the monikers of the Lurkers to give it a more personal feel (instead of say, using "Pilot A" versus "Pilot B".

The Battletech Grand Tournament was born.

Right now, there are 16 "pilots". Each pilot is randomly assigned a mech before each tourney, and seeding is also chosen randomly (to avoid one person winning too frequently). However, this is easily expandable to encompass anyone who wants their "character" to be in it.

While there is no participation in the sense that you get to choose which mech your char pilots, you do get a hand in his/her stats (which ultimately governs the battles)

It's a bracketed tournament (currently taking 4 wins to win it all), and after 4 wins, the pilot's stats get better (Gunnery = Damage Dealt, Piloting = Evasion). Stats run from 6 to 0 for Gunnery, and from 7-0 for Piloting (lower the better). So when your char gets 4 wins, you choose which stat to improve.

While not a ton of interaction, it can be quite fun to have bragging rights because your char rocked someone elses. It really is just something nifty to pass the time. I'd like to post updates and the like in this thread from time to time (after each tourney), so long as the admins are cool with it being here.

If you'd like me to add your char to the list of pilots, send me a PM (gets kind of cluttered in forum posts with a ton of "Add me" replies). Also, if you'd like me to remove you from the list, PM me.

Here are the results of the mock tourney I did earlier today.

Round One
Garrin d. Pesmerga, Hillary d. Quark, NSD d. Arethor, Darian d. mjdoom
Sabra d. Skandranon, Gnollguy d. Tal, Mirajj d. Treesh, MongoJerry d. Bolty

Round Two
Hillary d. Garrin, NSD d. Darian
Gnollguy d. Sabra, Mirajj d. MongoJerry

Round Three
Hillary d. NSD
Mirajj d. Gnollguy

Final
Hillary d. Mirajj

So, after all this, Hillary would get to up her stats.

::shrugs:: I find it nifty... but then again, I'm weird. Ask Quark.

Questions and Comments are welcome! :D
This is obviously programmed poorly; how else do you describe Priesttank losing to Big Daddy Tank?

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
mjdoom,Jul 23 2005, 07:59 AM Wrote:This is obviously programmed poorly; how else do you describe Priesttank losing to Big Daddy Tank?

- mjdoom
[right][snapback]84105[/snapback][/right]

He probably cheapshotted you. Typical Darian kind of manuever. :P
July 25th

Round 1
Bolty d. Arethor, Darian d. Bun-Bun, Garrin d. Gnollguy, Kandrathe d. Leeah, Mentat d. Lissa, mjdoom d. Mirajj, Pesmerga d. MongoJerry, Quark d. Roane, RTM d. Ruvanal, Sabra d. Tal, TheDragoon d. Treesh, Tris d. Zippyy

Round 2
Bolty d. Darian, Garrin d. Kandrathe, mjdoom d. Mentat, Pesmerga d. Quark, RTM d. Sabra, Tris d. TheDragoon

Round 3
Bolty d. Garrin, mjdoom d. Pesmerga, RTM d. Tris

Round 4
mjdoom d. RTM, Bye - Bolty

Final
Bolty d. mjdoom

Bolty Wins! :P

I hope to have a website up eventually (prolly on some crappy webspace...)
Pesmerga,Jul 22 2005, 03:23 PM Wrote:Here are the results of the mock tourney I did earlier today.

Round One
Mirajj d. Treesh
[right][snapback]84078[/snapback][/right]
*threatens Mirajj with the wrath of doom*
Intolerant monkey.
Pesmerga,Jul 26 2005, 08:55 AM Wrote:July 25th

Round 1
TheDragoon d. Treesh
[right][snapback]84359[/snapback][/right]
*shakes fist at Dragoon*
Intolerant monkey.
Pesmerga,Jul 26 2005, 08:55 AM Wrote:July 25th

Round 1
Garrin d. Gnollguy

I'm slipping. :(

First tourney I get to the semi-finals. Now I'm out in the first round. Sigh. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
This rocks, but I see a problem here...

Pesmerga Wrote:Hillary d. Mirajj

and

pesmerga Wrote:mjdoom d. Mirajj

I'm getting my butt whupped by priests! Priests I tell you! What, did my bowstring break or something and I had to melee them? ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Pesmerga,Jul 22 2005, 03:23 PM Wrote:Round Three

Mirajj d. Gnollguy

[right][snapback]84078[/snapback][/right]

I snuck this in when GG was consoling Treesh...Aimed Shot in the back ftw! :shuriken:
Pesmerga,Jul 26 2005, 08:55 AM Wrote:Bolty Wins! :P[right][snapback]84359[/snapback][/right]
Hey, I liked this version better. Let's have more of these.

slips Pesmerga $5

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Pesmerga,Jul 26 2005, 09:55 AM Wrote:July 25th

Round 1
Bolty d. Arethor, Darian d. Bun-Bun, Garrin d. Gnollguy, Kandrathe d. Leeah, Mentat d. Lissa, mjdoom d. Mirajj, Pesmerga d. MongoJerry, Quark d. Roane, RTM d. Ruvanal, Sabra d. Tal, TheDragoon d. Treesh, Tris d. Zippyy

Round 2
Bolty d. Darian, Garrin d. Kandrathe, mjdoom d. Mentat, Pesmerga d. Quark, RTM d. Sabra, Tris d. TheDragoon

Round 3
Bolty d. Garrin, mjdoom d. Pesmerga, RTM d. Tris

Round 4
mjdoom d. RTM, Bye - Bolty

Final
Bolty d. mjdoom

Bolty Wins! :P

I hope to have a website up eventually (prolly on some crappy webspace...)

You and I need to duel Mr. Pesmerga :P
Mirajj,Jul 27 2005, 02:15 AM Wrote:This rocks, but I see a problem here...

Pesmerga Wrote:Hillary d. Mirajj

and

pesmerga Wrote:mjdoom d. Mirajj

I'm getting my butt whupped by priests! Priests I tell you! What, did my bowstring break or something and I had to melee them? ;)
[right][snapback]84464[/snapback][/right]

Nah, mjdoom cheated he used Flyndar and Galreth against you. :) On second thought since you have a pet I don't see that as cheating at all. :) :P
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Tal,Jul 27 2005, 09:31 AM Wrote:You and I need to duel Mr. Pesmerga  :P
[right][snapback]84475[/snapback][/right]

The 2nd one should be up soon... ran it yesterday. However, running the 3rd one now, and if you had beaten Darian, you would have faced me.... but you failed ;:shakes head;: I'll make sure I'm up against you next time :)
July 26th

Round 1
Garrin d. Bun-Bun, Sabra d. Gnollguy, Mentat d. Pesmerga, Kandrathe d. Mirajj, Zippyy d. mjdoom, Roane d. Treesh, TheDragoon d. Leeah, Arethor d. Bolty, Tal d. Tris, Lissa d. RTM, Quark d. Ruvanal, Darian d. MongoJerry

Round 2
Sabra d. Garrin, Mentat d. Kandrathe, Roane d. Zippyy, Arethor d. TheDragoon, Lissa d. Tal, Darian d. Quark

Round 3
Mentat d. Sabra, Roane d. Arethor, Lissa d. Darian

Round 4
Roane d. Lissa, Bye - Mentat

Final
Roane d. Mentat

Roane Wins! :w00t:

One of these days, GG, Treesh, and Mirajj might get out of the first round... maybe :)

Actually, I already know what'll happen (I post these the day after its done). So there!
Pesmerga,Jul 27 2005, 10:39 AM Wrote:One of these days, GG, Treesh, and Mirajj might get out of the first round... maybe :)

Actually, I already know what'll happen (I post these the day after its done).  So there!
[right][snapback]84487[/snapback][/right]

Hey! In the very, very first one you posted, I made it all the way to the finals! Though granted I did have to step on Treesh and GG to do it. Must be rigged with hax! :shuriken:

I think that GG, Treesh and I should form an alliance. We three make up a pretty powerful party. We can take out the rest of 'em! ;)
Mirajj,Jul 27 2005, 03:57 PM Wrote:Hey! In the very, very first one you posted, I made it all the way to the finals! Though granted I did have to step on Treesh and GG to do it. Must be rigged with hax!  :shuriken:

I think that GG, Treesh and I should form an alliance. We three make up a pretty powerful party. We can take out the rest of 'em! ;)
[right][snapback]84509[/snapback][/right]

The first one was a trial run, for me to test... so it didn't count :)

Poor Mirajj :D

Maybe I'll add a 2v2 one at some point. Might be kind of nifty. B)
July 27th

Round 1
Tris d. Gnollguy, Zippyy d. Bolty, RTM d. Treesh, Roane d. Mentat, Kandrathe d. Lissa, TheDragoon d. mjdoom, DeeBye d. Leeah, MongoJerry d. Arethor, Quark d. Bun-Bun, Sabra d. Garrin, Ruvanal d. Mirajj, Darian d. Tal, Bye - Pesmerga

Round 2
RTM d. Zippyy, Kandrathe d. Roane, TheDragoon d. DeeBye, Quark d. MongoJerry, Ruvanal d. Sabra, Darian d. Pesmerga, Bye - Tris

Round 3
Tris d. RTM, Quark d. TheDragoon, Ruvanal d. Darian, Bye - Kandrathe

Round 4
Tris d. Kandrathe, Ruvanal d. Quark

Final
Tris d. Ruvanal

Tris Wins! :D

Standings
Roane 6-2, 1 Championship
Tris 6-2, 1 Championship
Bolty 4-2, 1 Championship
Darian 5-3
Quark 5-3
RTM 5-3
Kandrathe 4-3
Mentat 4-3
mjdoom 4-3
Ruvanal 4-3
Sabra 4-3
TheDragoon 4-3
Garrin 3-3
Lissa 3-3
DeeBye 1-1
Arethor 2-3
Pesmerga 2-3
Zippyy 2-3
MongoJerry 1-3
Tal 1-3
Bun-Bun 0-3
Gnollguy 0-3
Leeah 0-3
Mirajj 0-3
Treesh 0-3

I swear, it's not rigged. I mean, if it were rigged, I'd be undefeated! :D
Pesmerga,Jul 28 2005, 01:13 PM Wrote:I swear, it's not rigged.  I mean, if it were rigged, I'd be undefeated! :D
[right][snapback]84551[/snapback][/right]

No, if it were rigged I'd be winless.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,Jul 28 2005, 04:50 PM Wrote:No, if it were rigged I'd be winless.
[right][snapback]84567[/snapback][/right]
His program has you and I confused. It's rigged. ;)
Intolerant monkey.