Orb of Deception
I've got a couple of question about the Orb of Deception trinket, which allows you to take on the appearence of a member of the opposing faction (especially nice on PvP servers):

1.) Are the racial transformations by the orb fixed, i.e. will Undead always become a Night Elf, and vice versa?

2.) If the racial transformations are preset, who becomes what?

3.) Does it matter if you're male or female, i.e. will both male and female Undead always become a male Night Elf?

4.) Does your class matter, or is the target transformation always the same? I.e. will Orcs, independant of their class, always become that dark-dressed, syndicate-type, male Human Rogue?

5.) Is there any randomness in the racial transformations (male/female, armor, weapon etc), or do all target transformations always look the same, i.e. that dark-dressed, syndicate-type, male Human Rogue?

6.) Do you think that the orb is any way useful on PvP servers except for the fun factor?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Jul 24 2005, 09:59 AM Wrote:5.) Is there any randomness in the racial transformations (male/female, armor, weapon etc), or do all target transformations always look the same, i.e. that dark-dressed, syndicate-type, male Human Rogue?

6.) Do you think that the orb is any way useful on PvP servers except for the fun factor?
[right][snapback]84134[/snapback][/right]

For questions 1-4, from the very limited experience I've seen of people using the Orbs, it's a random gender/race. It's rather amusing to see a gnome name kicking around ona tauren. ;)

As to #5, the transformations always seem to me to be "bad". Big, dark, that sort of thing. Like the sort of person/race you'd not want to be standing beside in a dark alley.

For #6, as I don't play on a PvP server, I can't say, but I do know that on a PvE server, they seem to be able to fool someone for about 1-5 seconds. On a PvP server, that'd be an opening shot, I guess.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
nobbie,Jul 24 2005, 09:59 AM Wrote:I've got a couple of question about the Orb of Deception trinket, which allows you to take on the appearence of a member of the opposing faction (especially nice on PvP servers):

1.) Are the racial transformations by the orb fixed, i.e. will Undead always become a Night Elf, and vice versa?

Yes.

Tauren <-> Gnome
Troll <-> Dwarf
Undead <-> Night Elf
Orc <-> Human

Gender stays the same. The resulting transformed image will be the same as well for all users, except weapon (which stays the same as your original equipped weapon).

Quote:6.) Do you think that the orb is any way useful on PvP servers except for the fun factor?
[right][snapback]84134[/snapback][/right]

I think it's probably a "trick" they've seen enough times by now.
I didn't see it used on PvP server yet, but if the nameplate stays red, then I know who's the enemy.

I wonder if it could be used for obtaining some quests from opposite faction.
nobbie,Jul 24 2005, 07:59 AM Wrote:6.) Do you think that the orb is any way useful on PvP servers except for the fun factor?

Your nameplate is still red. Red=dead. Whenever I see another player, I see the color of the nameplate first, then when the player is targeted notice the class of the player from the nameplate and possibly the race if it's important (e.g. if it's a dwarf priest, I know I need to dispell the person multiple times to make sure Fear Ward is taken off). Only after the fight is well in hand do I bother to notice what the person looks like. I might laugh if the player is a gnome disguised as a tauren.

No, you can't get opposite faction quests using the trinket. The trinket is entirely for fun.
MongoJerry,Jul 25 2005, 07:17 PM Wrote:Your nameplate is still red.&nbsp; Red=dead.
Well, SOME players might still think: "Well, yet another bug" ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Jul 25 2005, 12:25 PM Wrote:Well, SOME players might still think: "Well, yet another bug" ;)

It'd be too unbalancing if it didn't do that. Imagine using it and walking through a crowd of opposing players into a flag room completely unharmed, because they can't attack you. The effect is entirely for fun, like turning into a pirate because you ate Savory Deviate Delight, or dancing because someone used a Piccolo of the Flaming Pyre.