Taran Icebreaker on Bear Druid
The title says it already: I'm wondering if the Taran Icebreaker's Fire Balls proc on a Druid when he is in Bear form, and if it would therefore be worth it to pick this hammer over say a good staff with life/mana bonuses ("of the Eagle" suffix)?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Jul 26 2005, 03:51 PM Wrote:The title says it already: I'm wondering if the Taran Icebreaker's Fire Balls proc on a Druid when he is in Bear form, and if it would therefore be worth it to pick this hammer over say a good staff with life/mana bonuses ("of the Eagle" suffix)?
[right][snapback]84411[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK your form does not hinder weapon procs.
Tal,Jul 26 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:AFAIK your form does not hinder weapon procs.
[right][snapback]84414[/snapback][/right]

You are correct sir!

No weapon procs occur while in forms, only way to increase form damage is by adding +str and +attack power.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Tal,Jul 26 2005, 03:05 PM Wrote:AFAIK your form does not hinder weapon procs.
[right][snapback]84414[/snapback][/right]
I've never seen a weapon actually proc when the druid is in a feral form.
Intolerant monkey.
nobbie,Jul 26 2005, 02:51 PM Wrote:The title says it already: I'm wondering if the Taran Icebreaker's Fire Balls proc on a Druid when he is in Bear form, and if it would therefore be worth it to pick this hammer over say a good staff with life/mana bonuses ("of the Eagle" suffix)?

As has been said the only thing that matters on a weapon for feral form is the +str, agi, stam, etc. You don't use the weapon while in feral form you use your claws so it can't proc. What is in the weapon and off hand slot in feral form does exactly what a ranged weapon in the ranged weapon slot for a warrior does when they are swing at a mob, gives you stat bonuses.

So you want something that gives you str, stam or agi in feral form generally. You want something with int, stam and spi in caster form. Weapon swap macros are very simple. I use CapnBry's usebyname to do full equipment swaps as well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Jul 26 2005, 04:17 PM Wrote:As has been said the only thing that matters on a weapon for feral form is the +str, agi, stam, etc.  You don't use the weapon while in feral form you use your claws so it can't proc.  What is in the weapon and off hand slot in feral form does exactly what a ranged weapon in the ranged weapon slot for a warrior does when they are swing at a mob, gives you stat bonuses. 

So you want something that gives you str, stam or agi in feral form generally.  You want something with int, stam and spi in caster form.  Weapon swap macros are very simple.  I use CapnBry's usebyname to do full equipment swaps as well.
[right][snapback]84418[/snapback][/right]

I stand corrected. *casts blessing of forgetfulness on all involved*

*bubble*

*hearth*
nobbie,Jul 26 2005, 01:51 PM Wrote:The title says it already: I'm wondering if the Taran Icebreaker's Fire Balls proc on a Druid when he is in Bear form, and if it would therefore be worth it to pick this hammer over say a good staff with life/mana bonuses ("of the Eagle" suffix)?

Just to point you in the right direction, there are a few maces that are fairly easy to obtain with multiple runs in instances, and would serve you well in feral forms...

The Fist of Omokk
Unyielding Maul

Omokk is a quick boss to reach in Blackrock Spire, and I've had a thing for running the Dire Maul since it was implemented. Either one of those would serve you well.
See you in Town,
-Z
Another Druid favorite that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get at the auction house is the Warden Staff, which gives you life and armor (that get boosted in bear form) as well as defence. It's definitely a good bear tank staff.
MongoJerry,Jul 27 2005, 11:01 AM Wrote:Another Druid favorite that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get at the auction house is the Warden Staff, which gives you life and armor (that get boosted in bear form) as well as defence.  It's definitely a good bear tank staff.
[right][snapback]84494[/snapback][/right]

Even better if you can get the Unyielding Maul from the DM North tribute - the Warden Staff is great for level 43-57 druids, but past that, you're eligible to start doing DM North runs. Plus there are plenty of other nummy druid items that can be gotten on such runs, like the Bracers of Prosperity, the Cyclone Spaulders, the Rod of the Ogre King (generally a good caster staff), the Band of the Ogre King (+14 str, +13 sta makes this ring attractive to melee types in general), and so forth.
The Warden Staff actually has better stats than the Unyielding Maul, but... the maul is cheaper :) I've got my maul, and if I could get a Warden Staff for cheap, I still would, but being sort of broke doesn't help.

Bonecrusher, a DM West quest reward choice, is another nice weapon for feral damage.

And, if you happen to play in AV enough to level your reputation... The Unstoppable Force is another decent choice. Again, you won't get the proc in feral forms though.
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I don't know if I'd say either one is better between the Unyielding Maul and the Warden Staff. The Maul has higher DPS if you have to take a swing or two in caster form, 1 more stamina (10hp) and +12 defense. The staff, on the other hand, has a faster attack speed and 10 more armor (46 more in dire bear mode).

I've seen Warden Staves prices ridiculously, but as the Unyielding Maul is BoP, a few DM runs usually see one drop.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Jul 28 2005, 03:44 PM Wrote:I don't know if I'd say either one is better between the Unyielding Maul and the Warden Staff.  The Maul has higher DPS if you have to take a swing or two in caster form, 1 more stamina (10hp) and +12 defense.  The staff, on the other hand, has a faster attack speed and 10 more armor (46 more in dire bear mode).

I've seen Warden Staves prices ridiculously, but as the Unyielding Maul is BoP, a few DM runs usually see one drop.
[right][snapback]84529[/snapback][/right]

I have to agree. The differences in stats aren't that meaningful, and the price of a warden staff seems to fluctuate wildly. (The most amusing case I've run across was a rogue who placed it in the AH for 300g. After getting laughed at by just about every horde druid, the rogue gave it - free of charge - to a friend of hers. :rolleyes: ) On the other hand, it doesn't take *that* many tribute runs to get the unyielding maul. If you're looking for a stop-gap, I believe a similar mace drops off the seven dwarve's chest in BRD.
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink