Golden Pearls
What is the best way/place/mob to farm "Golden Pearls" for my Mooncloth stuff (Robe etc.) in a reasonable time frame (using my level 60 Warrior)? 25 gold a pop in the auction house sounds a bit steep to me ...
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Jul 27 2005, 08:11 PM Wrote:What is the best way/place/mob to farm "Golden Pearls" for my Mooncloth stuff (Robe etc.) in a reasonable time frame (using my level 60 Warrior)? 25 gold a pop in the auction house sounds a bit steep to me ...
[right][snapback]84520[/snapback][/right]

I don't know if it's the best, but a common place is the Temple of Arkorran in Azshara. All of the mobs in there have a chance to drop clams. If you're lucky, you'll find the Stormshroud Shoulder recipe which sells well too.

It's also a good place to pick up Major Heal pots while you're looking for something specific.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I've actually found quite a few in the southwest portion of Stranglethorn off the naga for the "Akiris by the Bundle" quest.
See you in Town,
-Z
The Turtles in hinterlands are also a common killing ground for these. If you are a skinner you profit from the scales also, which you can then use to buy pearls if needed.
Being horde you can also get your fishing pole with the quest there.
Thanks, I'll try the suggestions.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Jul 28 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:Thanks, I'll try the suggestions.
[right][snapback]84564[/snapback][/right]

I go down by Ravencrest Monument in se Azshara, 54/55 Naga there.
--Mav
I went with my level 60 Undead Warrior to Feralas today to farm pearls from the Hatecrest Naga on the islands in the west (south of the Feathermoon Stronghold). The Feralas Hatecrest Naga have a chance of about 50% to drop the Big-mouth Clams, of which - according to Thottbot - about 0.5% (= about every 200th clam) can contain a Golden Pearl. In 5-6 hours, I killed about 600 of these very easy to kill guys there, resulting in 300 dropped Big-mouth Clams. Off these 300 clams, I got the following pearls:

15 Black Pearls
11 Iridescent Pearls
3 Small Lustreous Pearls and
0 Golden Pearls

Assuming the estimated 0.5% drop chance of Golden Pearls from Big-mouth Clams on Thottbot is correct, I just had bad luck today, or - what I think - I was too high level (level 60) compared to the "grey" Naga mobs (level 43-45) to get any Golden Pearl at all. This could be either extremely diminishing returns or a simple cap after a certain level, so that you can't exploit such areas for Golden Pearls farming. In fact, I was surprised that I hardly met anyone killing mobs there who had my character level, so I think the latter must be true. Can anyone confirm this? Do I have to go to Azshara and kill "green" Naga mobs (level 53-55) to have any chance on Golden Pearls from Big-mouth Clams at all?
nobbie,Aug 3 2005, 10:17 PM Wrote:Assuming the estimated 0.5% drop chance of Golden Pearls from Big-mouth Clams on Thottbot is correct, I just had bad luck today,
[right][snapback]85082[/snapback][/right]
I farmed these exact same mobs with Zoltana (I posted her pic in your other thread) and got two golden pearls after farming for two hours. It's just your luck I'm afraid. I returned a few days later and got none during a two hour farming run.

I'm absolutely certain that level difference does not affect drop rates at all in WoW.

They just have a really low drop chance. I think the ones on the AH are just randomly aquired by people. There's a reason they go for around 20g each on the AH.
/// Zoid.
Zoid,Aug 3 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:I farmed these exact same mobs with Zoltana (I posted her pic in your other thread) and got two golden pearls after farming for two hours.  It's just your luck I'm afraid.  I returned a few days later and got none during a two hour farming run.

I'm absolutely certain that level difference does not affect drop rates at all in WoW.

They just have a really low drop chance.  I think the ones on the AH are just randomly aquired by people.  There's a reason they go for around 20g each on the AH.
[right][snapback]85085[/snapback][/right]
What was your level at that time?
nobbie,Jul 27 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:What is the best way/place/mob to farm "Golden Pearls" for my Mooncloth stuff (Robe etc.) in a reasonable time frame (using my level 60 Warrior)? 25 gold a pop in the auction house sounds a bit steep to me ...
[right][snapback]84520[/snapback][/right]
I have found at them while fishing for eels in Steamwheedle port. You can only catch clams during daylight hours, and the rate of finding a clam is the same as finding an eel (about 1 in 15). I usually fish until I have collected 20-30 eels, which takes 2 to 3 hours (so about 10 eels or clams per hour). I until recently had 5 Golden Pearls in the bank, until I gave them away for Mooncloth robes and some runed arcanite rods. Killing Turtles or Naga seems to yield a better drop rate on Big-Mouth Clams, so I would surmise that it would have a better chance to get the pearls you seek. Of course, fishing involves no searching or competition with farmers for your prey.

It's been my experience that about one in five to ten clams will have a pearl with Golden Pearls being about 1/100 clams.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

The rate of pearls (any type) in the clams from the Hatecrest Naga was about 1:10 too, as you can see above (29 pearls total from 300 clams). The rate of Golden Pearls is - according to Thottbot - just 1:200 (0.5%) , meaning that of 20 pearls 1 pearl might be golden.
nobbie,Aug 3 2005, 11:18 PM Wrote:What was your level at that time?
[right][snapback]85088[/snapback][/right]
60. There are pretty easy with a level 60 character with an epic weapon. They die in like three hits.
/// Zoid.
Zoid,Aug 4 2005, 02:04 PM Wrote:60.  There are pretty easy with a level 60 character with an epic weapon.  They die in like three hits.
[right][snapback]85128[/snapback][/right]
Same here: Level 60 Undead Warrior with full "Commander's" equipment and the epic "Shadowstrike" polearm. Killing the level 43-45 Naga took 2-3 hits on average because I have 2-handed weapon and polearm specialization with lots of crits and Mortal Strike.
nobbie,Aug 3 2005, 07:20 PM Wrote:The rate of pearls (any type) in the clams from the Hatecrest Naga was about 1:10 too, as you can see above (29 pearls total from 300 clams). The rate of Golden Pearls is - according to Thottbot - just 1:200 (0.5%) , meaning that of 20 pearls 1 pearl might be golden.
[right][snapback]85091[/snapback][/right]

It might work out that way. I think it is actually, a chance for a pearl, then a roll to see which type. More like a 1:10 chance to get a pearl, and if it is, then a 1:20 chance for it to be golden, or some such calculation.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]