Failed RPGs.
Hailed as a "Diablo in space" clone, it featured 3 classes. Had bionic upgrades and spells, or some such stuff. I vaguely remember it, and that it was reportedly not very good. Began with the letter N? If anyone can remember the name of this game, I'd appreciate it.

Also, any other Diablo clones people can remember? Good or bad, doesn't matter.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Aug 7 2005, 06:20 PM Wrote:Hailed as a "Diablo in space" clone, it featured 3 classes. Had bionic upgrades and spells, or some such stuff. I vaguely remember it, and that it was reportedly not very good. Began with the letter N? If anyone can remember the name of this game, I'd appreciate it.

[right][snapback]85451[/snapback][/right]

Harbringer?
[Image: 1.jpg]

Crusader: No Remorse?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Roland,Aug 7 2005, 06:20 PM Wrote:Began with the letter N?[right][snapback]85451[/snapback][/right]

Nox?
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Roland,Aug 7 2005, 05:20 PM Wrote:Hailed as a "Diablo in space" clone, it featured 3 classes. Had bionic upgrades and spells, or some such stuff. I vaguely remember it, and that it was reportedly not very good. Began with the letter N? If anyone can remember the name of this game, I'd appreciate it.

Darkstone was a complete diablo rip off. and was pretty decent.
Quark,Aug 8 2005, 12:03 AM Wrote:Nox?
[right][snapback]85456[/snapback][/right]

Nox would fit the 'name with an n' thing, but not much with the 'in space' thing.

The other Diablo clones I've tried so far have beenDivine Divinity\, and Sacred.

Tal,Aug 7 2005, 05:26 PM Wrote:Harbringer?
[right][snapback]85452[/snapback][/right]
yeah, the salesman said it was D2 in space, and I made the mistake of buying it. It is nothing like D2 though. And it is not a good game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Tal,Aug 7 2005, 03:26 PM Wrote:Harbringer?

You said Harbringer but linked to Harbinger.

This definitely fits the Diablo in space theme, but not the 'N' requirement. The game was very Diablo-like, but was more Diablo-lite. Not much depth. Okay if you go into it understanding it is fairly short and lacks repeatability with no multiplayer features.

Kept me entertained for a couple weeks, but I didn't have to pay for it because my roommate at the time was working at PC World and just brought it home one day.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Roland,Aug 7 2005, 05:20 PM Wrote:Also, any other Diablo clones people can remember? Good or bad, doesn't matter.

The newest one is Fate. Although its from WildTangent, its a very solid game. Its Story-Lite and it is a bit cutsie graphically, but overall it is visually appealing with an extremely solid gaming backbone to it.

I'd recomend the 3 level demo available from the website, although the 20$ plunge for the full game is far from steep.

Cheers,

Munk
Concillian, you got a lot further than me. I played for maybe 30 minutes and returned the game. (This was back in the days when EB allowed games to be returned.)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Concillian,Aug 7 2005, 11:25 PM Wrote:You said Harbringer but linked to Harbinger.
[right][snapback]85464[/snapback][/right]

Typo ftw!
Bob the Beholder,Aug 7 2005, 08:17 PM Wrote:Nox would fit the 'name with an n' thing, but not much with the 'in space' thing.

The other Diablo clones I've tried so far have beenDivine Divinity\, and Sacred.
[right][snapback]85458[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but nox was actually better than diablo.

Nox had: Running, better sight realism, better storyline (but there isn't much of one in Diablo), more equal classes, great pvp network.

Diablo had: Random Maps, Random Items, Sorcerer was by far the best class, better music (it was freaky), co-op online play.

Diablo's randomness gives it either a blessing or a curse. Makes it more fun to replay, but also gives better items to some people who play a lot. Nox's pvp is all about skill.

Unfortunately, Westwood stopped hosting Nox and now you can only get a game going by joining Warrior Nation, and the only people who play now are insanely good.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Tal,Aug 7 2005, 05:26 PM Wrote:Harbringer?

Yes, Harbinger. Thank you. :D Gonna see if I can snag it from a bargain bin somewhere. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Quark,Aug 7 2005, 07:03 PM Wrote:Nox?
[right][snapback]85456[/snapback][/right]

You know, I KNEW someone was gonna say that. :P I almost put down "And no, not Nox", but didn't.

I already have a copy of Nox. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Chesspiece_face,Aug 7 2005, 07:16 PM Wrote:Darkstone was a complete diablo rip off.  and was pretty decent.
[right][snapback]85457[/snapback][/right]

Have that as well. :) As well as Nightstone (IIRC). Now THAT is a Diablo ripoff. But different playstyle. I'd have to go into more depth to explain it, and I don't feel like it right now. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Aug 8 2005, 05:29 PM Wrote:Yes, Harbinger. Thank you. :D Gonna see if I can snag it from a bargain bin somewhere. :D
[right][snapback]85517[/snapback][/right]

Oooh! What do I win? :D
Hi, Roland,

Roland,Aug 7 2005, 10:20 PM Wrote:Also, any other Diablo clones people can remember? Good or bad, doesn't matter.
Well, a lot of people considered Dungeon Siege more-or-less a Diablo clone, but I suspect you have played that. Still, thought I would mention it. I liked it, have been trying to find Legends of Arcanna cheap.

Although overall, I thought Darkstone was a better game than Nox, I actually enjoyed playing Nox more. Especially as the conjurer (the only class I managed to win the final battle with before I burned out on the game on my first play-through).

Regards,

Dako-ta

From Sid Mieir's Alpha Centauri:

"The Network Backbone - PROJECT21

Of course we'll bundle our MorganNet software with the new
network nodes; our customers expect no less of us. We have never
sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that
no one feels the need to compete with us.

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan,
Morgan Data Systems press release"

Hmmm, a slam at Microsoft, by chance?
Tal,Aug 8 2005, 04:39 PM Wrote:Oooh! What do I win? :D
[right][snapback]85521[/snapback][/right]

A pat on the back. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Dako-ta,Aug 8 2005, 05: Wrote:Hi, Roland,
Well, a lot of people considered Dungeon Siege more-or-less a Diablo clone, but I suspect you have played that. Still, thought I would mention it. I liked it, have been trying to find Legends of Arcanna cheap.

Although overall, I thought Darkstone was a better game than Nox, I actually enjoyed playing Nox more. Especially as the conjurer (the only class I managed to win the final battle with before I burned out on the game on my first play-through).

Regards,

Dako-ta
From Sid Mieir's Alpha Centauri:

"The Network Backbone - PROJECT21

Of course we'll bundle our MorganNet software with the new
network nodes; our customers expect no less of us. We have never
sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that
no one feels the need to compete with us.

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan,
          Morgan Data Systems press release"
Hmmm, a slam at Microsoft, by chance?
[right][snapback]85525[/snapback][/right]

Speaking of which (I had hoped someone would bring that one up), if you liked DS, DSII looks to be more of the same. EXACTLY more of the same (with some possible additions). If not, I don't think DSII is going to be your game. I've only scratched the surface with the demo, but so far, I see it as more of the same: for better or worse.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
whathuh,Aug 8 2005, 08:20 AM Wrote:Yeah, but nox was actually better than diablo.
[right][snapback]85484[/snapback][/right]
Worst piece of crap software I have ever wasted ten bucks on. Nox got Westwood Studios banned in this household. And Nox + NFS: Underground (on the PC) got the rest of EA (PC division only) banned from this household. They caused nothing but aggravation so they get the boot and more than a few rude gestures. When I have to troubleshoot for more time than I can actually play the game in a month's time, that makes me a little testy and less than forgiving.

EA console division is still welcome though. ;)
Intolerant monkey.