King's sword of Haste
hi all. Recently just came back to diablo after many years absence trying to find the much evasive king's sword of haste. Seems the few that still linger about in the old battlenet are almost all hackers and dupers but I have only seen 1 pk.

Some people tell me the kings sword of haste doesnt actually exist in the game and others just try to offer me a duped version when I tell them im hunting for it.

but heres some questions:

1. Have you ever heard of someone getting a king's sword of haste from Griswold? and do you know what level they were if they did?
(i'm a level 32 warrior now and many kings items turn up at Griswold's but never haste or speed or heavens)

2. Someone mentioned trying harder difficulties but i doubt I would surrvive long in Hell/Hell even with the few buddies I have on there. Is this a better bet?

3. Is there a level preference with attempting to get this sword from Griswold?

I do alot of hell runs but i never get it. I try on normal cos i dont want to get punked and loose my stuff even though i hear my chances are quite a bit better there for it. My progress would be much slower there anyway. Where is the best place to look?

thank u!
TheKingofKewl,Aug 7 2005, 11:31 PM Wrote:hi all. Recently just came back to diablo after many years absence trying to find the much evasive king's sword of haste. Seems the few that still linger about in the old battlenet are almost all hackers and dupers but I have only seen 1 pk.

Some people tell me the kings sword of haste doesnt actually exist in the game and others just try to offer me a duped version when I tell them im hunting for it.

1.  Have you ever heard of someone getting a king's sword of haste from Griswold? and do you know what level they were if they did?
(i'm a level 32 warrior now and many kings items turn up at Griswold's but never haste or speed or heavens)

2.  Someone mentioned trying harder difficulties but i doubt I would surrvive long in Hell/Hell even with the few buddies I have on there. Is this a better bet?

I do alot of hell runs but i never get it. I try on normal cos i dont want to get punked and loose my stuff even though i hear my chances are quite a bit better there for it. My progress would be much slower there anyway. Where is the best place to look?
thank u!
[right][snapback]85454[/snapback][/right]

1. Yes, they aren't that rare. I got my King's/Speed from Griswold too. Speed is preferred over haste cause it has same speed but repairs doesn't cost that much. Suffix 'Of Heavens' isn't very useful imo. Speed/Vampires/Blood are much better.

2. There is same chance as on normal difficulty.

3. Yes, there is, but i can't remember it right now. I got my King's/Speed on clvl about 35-40.
I also found a kings sword of haste, but it was with wirt. He can sometimes have incredible items in harder difficulties.
Master DS5,Aug 8 2005, 02:34 PM Wrote:I also found a kings sword of haste, but it was with wirt. He can sometimes have incredible items in harder difficulties.
[right][snapback]85490[/snapback][/right]

thanks both of you, your information has been quite helpful :-)
if anyone else wants to give imput its appreciated to. thanks!
One of your best bets is to look here:

http://members.core.com/~dfrease/JGFrame.html

This is the online version of Jarulf's Guide
It's got pretty much all the info you need to answer this and other questions.
(You'd want to look in chapter 3. Items, and chapter 5. Monsters)

Assuming you want a King's Bastard sword of Haste/Speed, as opposed to a King's Dagger of Same. . . .

The qlevel of the base bastard sword is 10, so Gris will start selling bastard swords to you at character level 8.

The qlevel of Speed is 17, while the qlevel of Haste is 27, so Gris will start selling you a Bastard Sword of Speed at clevel 15, and a Bastard Sword of Haste at clevel 25.

The qlevel of King's is 28, so Gris will start selling you King's Bastard Sword of Haste at clevel 26.

The trick is, Gris _starts_ selling those items at that clevel, but only in slot #6. You want to get him to possibly sell you the KBSoH in all SIX premium item slots, thus multiplying your chance of getting the item six times over, and he won't do that until you reach character level 29.

Wirt won't sell you a King's Bastard Sword of Haste as it is above his price cap. You could try for a KBSoSpeed, but Wirt would only sell that to you within a small clevel range -- see Jarulf's Guide to figure it out. Also, in Multiplayer Diablo the items Wirt sells have nothing to do with the difficulty setting you are playing -- just your character level. Same is true of Gris.

You can have KBSoH drop from a chest starting at dungeon level 14 and deeper.

Any monster mlevel 28 or greater could also drop it; see Jarulf's for the particulars. All the bosses you could meet on dlevel 15 (i.e., a Laz run + bosses) could potentially drop it, as could any creature (except Jim, the Black Knight in Diablo's room) on dlevel 16.

1. I've bought a KBSoH at Griswold's, and Red Vex has dropped a KBSoSpeed. (Both were in Normal games.)

2. The difficulty setting doesn't matter in obtaining said sword; this is true both of fighting and of shopping with Gris or Wirt. Just dungeon level and character level, respectively.

3. The best character level to shop for the sword at Grismart is clevel 29 or higher. When I bought mine I was clevel 48 and doing some shopping runs.

Just a reminder -- you should have cash or items worth about 94K when shopping at Grismart, as that is what a KBSoH will cost you -- 94,100 gold for maxxed stat one. Gris restocks his items if your character levels up -- everything moves "up" a notch -- and you'll lose the item in slot #1 (and slot #2? can't remember) if you go into the dungeon to try and raise more cash and your character levels up in the meantime. An easy way to carry around a big amount of "cash" is to carry Constricting Rings and/or a Demonspike Coat in your backpack, and sell them when you need the cash. Otherwise, when you do shopping runs, choose Nightmare Difficulty to be able to raise the cash quickly (by fighting low level foes in Church and Cats) without having your character go up a character level.
thank you all. I have finally achieved my diablo dream! :-) or close enough to it.
I just went shopping and and a king's bastard sword of speed just popped up, first item in the row. I took a screen shot though my picture program can't seem to read it. maybe I'm hitting the wrong botton (prt scr) button.

Anyway its got 96% to hit and 152% damage :)
pretty awesome to hit just lower end of the kings damage modifier but i got it.
im so happy i was looking away for a moment when I clicked on griswolds premium items and had to do a double take on that and i was literally speechless for a minute or so.

I'm very happy and thank u all for helping me with the info.
I wonder now if i'll try for the kings of haste from Gris or just carry on :-) hmm

Attika,Aug 8 2005, 05:50 PM Wrote:One of your best bets is to look here:

http://members.core.com/~dfrease/JGFrame.html

This is the online version of Jarulf's Guide
It's got pretty much all the info you need to answer this and other questions.
(You'd want to look in chapter 3. Items, and chapter 5. Monsters)
Assuming you want a King's Bastard sword of Haste/Speed, as opposed to a King's Dagger of Same. . . .

The qlevel of the base bastard sword is 10, so Gris will start selling bastard swords to you at character level 8.

The qlevel of Speed is 17, while the qlevel of Haste is 27, so Gris will start selling you a Bastard Sword of Speed at clevel 15, and a Bastard Sword of Haste at clevel 25.

The qlevel of King's is 28, so Gris will start selling you King's Bastard Sword of Haste at clevel 26.

The trick is, Gris _starts_ selling those items at that clevel, but only in slot #6.  You want to get him to possibly sell you the KBSoH in all SIX premium item slots, thus multiplying your chance of getting the item six times over, and he won't do that until you reach character level 29.

Wirt won't sell you a King's Bastard Sword of Haste as it is above his price cap.  You could try for a KBSoSpeed, but Wirt would only sell that to you within a small clevel range -- see Jarulf's Guide to figure it out.  Also, in Multiplayer Diablo the items Wirt sells have nothing to do with the difficulty setting you are playing -- just your character level.  Same is true of Gris.

You can have KBSoH drop from a chest starting at dungeon level 14 and deeper.

Any monster mlevel 28 or greater could also drop it; see Jarulf's for the particulars.  All the bosses you could meet on dlevel 15 (i.e., a Laz run + bosses) could potentially drop it, as could any creature (except Jim, the Black Knight in Diablo's room) on dlevel 16.

1.  I've bought a KBSoH at Griswold's, and Red Vex has dropped a KBSoSpeed.  (Both were in Normal games.)

2.  The difficulty setting doesn't matter in obtaining said sword; this is true both of fighting and of shopping with Gris or Wirt.  Just dungeon level and character level, respectively.

3.  The best character level to shop for the sword at Grismart is clevel 29 or higher.  When I bought mine I was clevel 48 and doing some shopping runs.

Just a reminder -- you should have cash or items worth about 94K when shopping at Grismart, as that is what a KBSoH will cost you -- 94,100 gold for maxxed stat one.  Gris restocks his items if your character levels up -- everything moves "up" a notch -- and you'll lose the item in slot #1 (and slot #2?  can't remember) if you go into the dungeon to try and raise more cash and your character levels up in the meantime.  An easy way to carry around a big amount of "cash" is to carry Constricting Rings and/or a Demonspike Coat in your backpack, and sell them when you need the cash.  Otherwise, when you do shopping runs, choose Nightmare Difficulty to be able to raise the cash quickly (by fighting low level foes in Church and Cats) without having your character go up a character level.
[right][snapback]85500[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Aug 8 2005, 03:24 PM Wrote:I wonder now if i'll try for the kings of haste from Gris or just carry on :-) hmm
[right][snapback]85515[/snapback][/right]

Well, "of speed" is just as fast as "of haste", and costs less to repair, so you got the better end of the deal already.
yeah, I'm so happy! :-)

it was my reason for playing again mainly. I wanted to look back and say i got the sword. Its not the haste but its just as good and cheaper to repair like you said.

Now I don't know what to do :-(
do i keep playing or move on to d2? which means i will eventually loose my d1 character but i guess i will eventually anyway. I've tested it out on a few baddies so far. my Overall to hit is 195% and damage i think is 80-105 around there.
I had two obsedian zod on my last character years ago, one was an amulet. Cos i specifically hunted them down. I remember one of their stats: 40% resist all and 17 to all attribs.

I beat d2 once, never the expansion, and with the paladin. a few friends have asked me to come to d2 but i said when i find this sword (and well now i have). maybe i should try the other classes and pick up a copy at the mall.

I wonder where to go from here.

Nystul,Aug 9 2005, 08:09 AM Wrote:Well, "of speed" is just as fast as "of haste", and costs less to repair, so you got the better end of the deal already.
[right][snapback]85567[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Aug 9 2005, 10:25 PM Wrote:do i keep playing or move on to d2? which means i will eventually loose my d1 character but i guess i will eventually anyway.

There is no reason to lose your Diablo 1 characters. They are stored on your computer (In whatever directory you installed the game in, with the file extension .sav) rather than on the battle.net servers.

[edit]Save files have a .sv extansion, not .sav[/edit]
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
battlenet.net mentions that after 3 months of non use the character becomes inactive or something. If I abandon this character for a year or two how would I reactive him at that time if I wished to?

What is involved in the saving process if the character is stored online. Maybe I could take the files and store them in a seperate folder for some future use. Do you think Blizzard has any future plans of closing the old diablo battlenet?

thanks

LennyLen,Aug 9 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:There is no reason to lose your Diablo 1 characters.  They are stored on your computer (In whatever directory you installed the game in, with the file extension .sav) rather than on the battle.net servers.
[right][snapback]85571[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Aug 10 2005, 12:27 AM Wrote:battlenet.net mentions that after 3 months of non use the character becomes inactive or something. If I abandon this character for a year or two how would I reactive him at that time if I wished to?

After 3 months, you do not lose the character, but simply the battle.net account, which for Diablo 1, is just a username and associated password. If you do not play the character for 3 months, it will still be listed in the character list when you next connect (and incidentally, you can use the same multiplayer character on battle.net, LAN, modem and DCC games). Once you have selected the character you will need to re-activate the account by selecting 'New Account' instead of just entering the password. Note though, that anyone else may have started using the name in the meanwhile, so you may need to rename your character (this will not affect the character in any way).

TheKingofKewl,Aug 10 2005, 12:27 AM Wrote:What is involved in the saving process if the character is stored online.

There is no way of saving characters which are stored on the server (which luckily Diablo 1 characters are not). This is the whole idea behind having the Realms where characters are stored on the server, as if you could copy the character, you could hack the save file.

TheKingofKewl,Aug 10 2005, 12:27 AM Wrote:Maybe I could take the files and store them in a seperate folder for some future use.

It's always a good idea to make copies of your charcter files. If you only copy them to a new folder on your HD however, they still risk being lost if the HD dies, so you may want to consider making copies to floppy disks, CDs or webspace.

TheKingofKewl,Aug 10 2005, 12:27 AM Wrote:Do you think Blizzard has any future plans of closing the old diablo battlenet?

Who knows, but if they do, there are many people out there with battle.net server emulators.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Blizzard has no reason to close Diablo battle net. It takes up almost none of their server space, and its a good place to put ads for the few players who still use D1.
thats good to know.
i forgot how rare those obsed/zods were. couldn't find a one with this character.
best i got was obsedian ring 33% resist and a zodiac ring of +18 all

and maybe 1 in 15 i played with were legit
its a shame, the legits so hard to find and disspear after a while

TheKingofKewl,Aug 7 2005, 11:31 PM Wrote:hi all. Recently just came back to diablo after many years absence trying to find the much evasive king's sword of haste. Seems the few that still linger about in the old battlenet are almost all hackers and dupers but I have only seen 1 pk.

1.  Have you ever heard of someone getting a king's sword of haste from Griswold? and do you know what level they were if they did?

2.  Someone mentioned trying harder difficulties but i doubt I would surrvive long in Hell/Hell even with the few buddies I have on there. Is this a better bet?

thank u!
[right][snapback]85454[/snapback][/right]