Abysmal - Looking for Diablo Plus
Hello there.

To increase my variety in the Diablo Realm i recently started to play Abysmal Diablo.
Now as i found (and unfortunately also lost) a lot of good items with my lvl 31 rogue, i wonder if anybody still has Diablo Plus, to backup the characters (for somethimes when i play over LAN the game crashes and i loose all the nice items in town) or another backup-program that works with Abysmal.

I also wonder if there are any Abysmal Players left, which meet over the internet with Kali or something like that.

For all other classic Diablo I Players, you can find me in Europe Gateway with my Rogue
Honi

Thanks.
Here is an easy way to backup your save files.

Load up a text editor, start a new file and enter the following lines:

md savefiles
copy *.sv savefiles /Y

Then save the file as "backup.dat" (without the quotes) and put it in your Diablo folder. This will create a 'program' that you can run by simply double-clicking on its icon. You can even make a shortcut to it from your desktop to run it from there before you play a game.

Note - Abysmal may change the name of the savefile names to something other than ".sv". If so change the .sv in the backup.bat file to whatevr Abysmal uses.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Well, if Abysmal would be a 1.09 mod this would work.
But it is based on 1.07 and the character files are saved elsewhere (in the Windows-Directory, if i recall correct). Problem is that before 1.09 you cannot simply copy the character files, because Diablo will recognise them as corrupted and you will loose at least all your stuff if it works at all.

Thats why I am still looking for a Backup-Program that works with Abysmal.
Honi,Aug 15 2005, 09:41 PM Wrote:Well, if Abysmal would be a 1.09 mod this would work.
But it is based on 1.07 and the character files are saved elsewhere (in the Windows-Directory, if i recall correct). Problem is that before 1.09 you cannot simply copy the character files, because Diablo will recognise them as corrupted and you will loose at least all your stuff if it works at all.

Thats why I am still looking for a Backup-Program that works with Abysmal.
[right][snapback]86060[/snapback][/right]
Actually I have had no problem with file corruption or loss of items while manually backing up any of my 1.07 characters, including Abysmal characters. Abysmal files are located as hidden files in the windows directory and are named absymd_#.drv. I have found manual backup to be pretty fast and easy as well. The only difference between 1.09 and 1.07, so far as backing up is concerned, is the location of the character files. Transferrability from one computer to another is also an issue in 1.07 since, in order for your characters to be recognized on a different machine, that machine must have the same computer name.
Thanks for that information Thenryb,

I must have mistaken that with an pre 1.07 version of diablo (since it is sooo long since i played pre 1.09 versions)

So I will try it out with manually backing up. This should be enough.

Thank you both for you information.
Honi