Questions about fishing
I was wondering if anyone know of a place, or by themselves, regarding areas of fishing, what one can get were and so on. What I would really like to find is the following.

For each area: a list of each fishing water (seems to me that each pond, river, sea, other water area within a map is its own distinct and different place, with different loot and so on)

For each fishing water: the level to be able to fish at all, the level were one no longer have any "fish got away"

For each fishing water: what one can get and ideally, the frequency of each (like fish A 17% of the time)

Anyting else of interest for fishing?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Aug 18 2005, 08:43 AM Wrote:For each area: a list of each fishing water (seems to me that each pond, river, sea, other water area within a map is its own distinct and different place, with different loot and so on)

For each fishing water: the level to be able to fish at all, the level were one no longer have any "fish got away"
[right][snapback]86469[/snapback][/right]

I've been looking for something like that for a while. I hope we hear something.
Jarulf,Aug 18 2005, 08:43 AM Wrote:I was wondering if anyone know of a place, or by themselves, regarding areas of fishing, what one can get were and so on. What I would really like to find is the following.

For each area: a list of each fishing water (seems to me that each pond, river, sea, other water area within a map is its own distinct and different place, with different loot and so on)

For each fishing water:  what one can get and ideally, the frequency of each (like fish A 17% of the time)

Anyting else of interest for fishing?

I've seen nothing quite so detailed, but as a general rule of thumb the area you are in multiplied by 5 gives the level you need in fishing to be successful. E.g. Booty Bay is a 35-45 area requiring 225 fishing skill.

The algorithms for what is catchable is also complicated. Some fish of a particular level are only catchable in certain places, and there are time of day and seasonal factors as well. I've heard for instance that winter squid are only catchable during certain months of the year.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Pesmerga,Aug 18 2005, 02:05 PM Wrote:I've been looking for something like that for a while.  I hope we hear something.
[right][snapback]86472[/snapback][/right]

Thottbot isn't totally useless. I believe it does have the various droprates of zonewide waters, coupled with people posting with the level of the area *shrug*,

<Offtopic!> Pesmerga yesterday you were 7/8 on beaststalker I thought..... when did you get the last!?!??
MaxPower#1485 60 SC Barb/32 HC Witch Doctor/22 HC Wizard/17 HC Demon Hunter
NotSoDarklord,Aug 18 2005, 09:30 AM Wrote:<Offtopic!>&nbsp; Pesmerga yesterday you were 7/8 on beaststalker I thought..... when did you get the last!?!??
[right][snapback]86476[/snapback][/right]

Tuesday night I believe! :)
NotSoDarklord,Aug 18 2005, 09:30 AM Wrote:Thottbot isn't totally useless.&nbsp; I believe it does have the various droprates of zonewide waters, coupled with people posting with the level of the area *shrug*,
<Offtopic!>&nbsp; Pesmerga yesterday you were 7/8 on beaststalker I thought..... when did you get the last!?!??
[right][snapback]86476[/snapback][/right]
I don't want to talk about it. :P

Heh, no Mio won on a spped LBRS raid tanked by Tris, rolling against at least Celethirian, Porlupus, Sayuri and another hunter! What are the odds? :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Zone Level to Fishing skill:

1-10 to 50
11-20 to 100
21-30 to 150
31-40 to 200
41-50 to 250
51-60 to 300

Best I've found thus far...

Fishing By Item
Fishing by Location
Pesmerga,Aug 18 2005, 03:44 PM Wrote:Zone Level to Fishing skill:

1-10 to 50
11-20 to 100
21-30 to 150
31-40 to 200
41-50 to 250
51-60 to 300

Best I've found thus far...

I don't understand those numbers, what do you mean?

Also, the listed pages are quite nice (although level is missing). I wonder how complete they are. HOWEVER, they lack one important thing, an ability to easilly print them. In addition, they are not that well organized, almost random lists hoplessly hard to get info out of.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Aug 18 2005, 12:28 PM Wrote:I don't understand those numbers, what do you mean?

Also, the listed pages are quite nice (although level is missing). I wonder how complete they are. HOWEVER, they lack one important thing, an ability to easilly print them. In addition, they are not that well organized, almost random lists hoplessly hard to get info out of.
[right][snapback]86504[/snapback][/right]

Whoops, numbers. x.x

Level 1-10 mobs around, fishing to 50
Level 11-20 mobs around, fishing to 100.

And so forth.

If you use the numbers in conjunction with the list, it might be helpful. ::shrugs::
From a Darnassian point of view, I've found it's simpler to just fish as follows:
  • Rutheran Village - just past Darnassus through the red portal. You'll get plenty of brilliant smallfish for bringing your cooking up so you can start cooking higher level fish. Get to 50 or so. Use baubles to help.<>
  • Auberdine - you can start fishing up the oily blackmouth here, which is useful and sells on the AH for a fair bit. Get to 100 or so.<>
  • Menethil Harbor - a boat away from Auberdine. Lots of oily blackmouth and firefin snappers. Get to 150.<>
  • Booty Bay - you need to get the book to uncap fishing to 225 here. There's a spot next to the inn where you can fish and still get rest state. Rockscale cod can be gotten here for skilling cooking, but if you don't need it, go back to Menethil, the blackmouth drop rate is better there.<>
  • Steamwheedle Port - popular for fishing up stonescale eel. You'll need 225 fishing, and some lures will help until you get to 300.<>
    [st]
    Note that you can gain fishing skill in any water that you can reasonably fish. The idea is to smply move up the 'fishing utility' ladder when you are able to.
Jarulf,Aug 18 2005, 09:43 AM Wrote:For each area: a list of each fishing water (seems to me that each pond, river, sea, other water area within a map is its own distinct and different place, with different loot and so on)

This is some what true, but the individual areas have not from what I have seen been made that individualistic yet. Most zones just have one or two types of fishing tables set up for them, a fresh water table and a sea water table. The trick at times is to sometimes manage to to be fishing out of another zone based on where you are casting the fishing line from. In beta there were some areas, in the early stages of beta, that let the player actually manage to fish out the deepest ocean areas (The Vast Ocean, The Forbidden Sea). Those areas at that time brought in the highest loot tables for fishing even if you were actually standing in a realitively low level area, so long as your bobber was actually in that high level deep sea area. Changes to how fishing works and the degrading of the fishing loot tables make efforts to get to those areas wasted now.

Jarulf if you remember from beta some of those times that there were areas of some of the zones that had an uneven merging of the mega tiles that make up the map, which resulted in those very long stright lines across some areas like Mulgore; that is what appears to be the dividing point for allow the developers to make seperate loot tables for a zone. I suspect that while they could make seperate tables for many of these areas, for the most part up till patch 1.06 retail, that most of the mega tiles in a zone are just using one or two tables for most of the fishing in that zone. The only exceptions that I can recall see for that is the northen most oasis in The Barrens (The Sludge Fen) and the water areas around the Venture Co. operation in Stonetalon; these have some distinctly different loot table results from the other fresh water fishing in those zones.
For comparison, check these two links.
http://www.thottbot.com/wow/?n=10713
http://www.thottbot.com/wow/?n=18722
It can take a bit of digging and bumping around in Thottbot, but it looks like tables like this can be pulled up for most areas that players have been fishing in.

Quote:For each fishing water: the level to be able to fish at all, the level were one no longer have any "fish got away"
A rough rule of thumb is to check for the highest level non-unique mob in the area and multiply that level by 5 to get the fishing skill needed to fish that area. Sometimes this might require knowing what is the highest level mob in the whole zone area as currently they do not appear to have set up each mega tile seperately yet. Instead it looks like they just made one or two loot tables and copied that over again for most of the tiles in that zone. There may be some exceptions as I noted earlier. But since they did appear to have primarily just done a copy paste job for most areas, the fishing is at times more dependent on the "worst case" situation for that zone, even if you are in an easy area for that zone.

Quote:For each fishing water: what one can get and ideally, the frequency of each (like fish A 17% of the time)
Try checking Thottbot.com and do a search for the area that you are labeled as being in. For example if you are at the Zoram Strand in Ashenvale, do the search for "zoram strand" to get http://www.thottbot.com/wow/?s=zoram+strand. Then click on the NPC listing for that fishing skill to get http://www.thottbot.com/wow/?n=13215. This should give you what I think you are looking for.

Quote:Anyting else of interest for fishing?
It appears that there will be a fishing contest added in patch v1.07.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/unde...shing.html

From the description there it sounds like the meg-tiles in STV are going to be getting a more individualistic set of loot tables than they have now. Some areas will never have the contest fish in them and others may have the those fish available in possibly varying chances on the loot tables. Note that time of day factor for the fishing being available is rather explict here (2-4pm) and matches what some have been noting about many areas having different fishing depending on if you are fishing at day or night. Also it appears that these contest fish will likely be wiped from all inventory at some point prior to the next days contest ("Oh and don't delay. Tastyfish fish go bad quickly!").
Pesmerga,Aug 18 2005, 07:44 AM Wrote:Zone Level to Fishing skill:

1-10 to 50
11-20 to 100
21-30 to 150
31-40 to 200
41-50 to 250
51-60 to 300

That doesn't seem right. Out in the open ocean water in Azshara, I've had over 325 fishing skill with lures and was told "Fishing Skill Not High Enough." The more inland (lower level areas) could be fished by me but not the farther open ocean areas. I'm pretty sure that there are lots of places where you have to have 400+ fishing skill to fish in them.
MongoJerry,Aug 18 2005, 03:15 PM Wrote:That doesn't seem right.&nbsp; Out in the open ocean water in Azshara, I've had over 325 fishing skill with lures and was told "Fishing Skill Not High Enough."&nbsp; The more inland (lower level areas) could be fished by me but not the farther open ocean areas.&nbsp; I'm pretty sure that there are lots of places where you have to have 400+ fishing skill to fish in them.
[right][snapback]86536[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, makes sense. I guess the numbers I threw out there are really more of a general idea of how to get your fishing to 300, but not the rule.
Not exactly lots of areas, but Azshara's Bay of Storms and Winterspring's lakes, and Deadwind Pass's river are all 400-ish fishing. Not really worth the time and trouble unless you want level 45 food fish enough to invest in getting stacks of Aquadynamic Fish Attractors.
Pesmerga,Aug 18 2005, 01:20 PM Wrote:Yeah, makes sense.&nbsp; I guess the numbers I threw out there are really more of a general idea of how to get your fishing to 300, but not the rule.

By the way, it doesn't matter where you fish when you're skilling up as long as you're catching something. You could fish your way up to 300 in the pools by Goldshire or off the coast of Duotar if you wanted to. You'll still skill up at the same pace -- you just won't catch the higher level stuff while you're leveling.
MongoJerry,Aug 18 2005, 03:23 PM Wrote:By the way, it doesn't matter where you fish when you're skilling up as long as you're catching something.&nbsp; You could fish your way up to 300 in the pools by Goldshire or off the coast of Duotar if you wanted to.&nbsp; You'll still skill up at the same pace -- you just won't catch the higher level stuff while you're leveling.
[right][snapback]86539[/snapback][/right]

Would have never known that, considering my fishing seemed to "cap" in Dun Morogh at 90 or something. I caught 30+ more fish after i hit that number, and didn't gain a single skill up. (This was the 1st week of retail)
Tuftears,Aug 18 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:Not exactly lots of areas, but Azshara's Bay of Storms and Winterspring's lakes, and Deadwind Pass's river are all 400-ish fishing.&nbsp; Not really worth the time and trouble unless you want level 45 food fish enough to invest in getting stacks of Aquadynamic Fish Attractors.

I've recently started getting back into fishing at first simply to give me something to do while waiting in queue for battlegrounds. However, some of the fish you can catch and cook up have interesting bonuses that are useful on say, a Ragnaros fight. The Core took down Ragnaros last night (thank God, that's a monkey finally off our shoulders), and I'd like to think that the clammette surprise (+12 stamina and spirit), salmon (6 health regenerated every 5 seconds), and nightfin soup (restores 8 mana every 5 seconds) that I made played a role. What's amazing is that all the cooking buffs seem to stack, so you can really overload on some of those buffs.
Pesmerga,Aug 18 2005, 01:25 PM Wrote:Would have never known that, considering my fishing seemed to "cap" in Dun Morogh at 90 or something.&nbsp; I caught 30+ more fish after i hit that number, and didn't gain a single skill up. (This was the 1st week of retail)

I'll double check it to make sure it's still true right now. It has certainly been true at many different times in the past when I've tested it.
Pesmerga,Aug 18 2005, 03:25 PM Wrote:(Beaststalker armor complete)
[right][snapback]86540[/snapback][/right]

*Shakes fist and threatens you with the wrath of doom after stealing your shoulders* Argh! ;)

Grats, Mio!
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Aug 18 2005, 03:53 PM Wrote:*Shakes fist and threatens you with the wrath of doom after stealing your shoulders* Argh! ;)

Grats, Mio!
[right][snapback]86547[/snapback][/right]

Thanks! :)

::goes back to fishing::