Marketing aka Milking the Cash Cow
Every so often, Tycho and Gabe at Penny Arcade hit one out of the park. Sometimes, it is just a nice line drive into deep right center field for a double.

This one is a two bagger, both in its topic and in its presentation. ;)

The Devil Is In The Deal

Back in the Pokemon days, and in the Pog days, I forbade my son and daughter from spending money on those money sinks. I am glad I did. However, at the time, my own golf habit ate up my monthly discretionary allowance, so perhaps I was not setting the world's best example.

Then again, I still have the same golf clubs I bought for 229 dollars, with about 400 bucks of added clubs bags and lost golf balls since then.

Blizzard appears to smell a cow herd in desperate need of milking. No surprise, as this comes from the company who brought us the ultimate reason d'etre of "computer RPG gaming," the Diablo II Cow Level.

Perhaps they were prescient, and were merely forecasting the arrival of many customers, grazing about for the collectible card games, while mumbling to themselves:

"moo moo moo, moo moo, mooooooo!"

And Blizzard plays the role of Javazon so well. Speaking of Javazons and the cow level, some thought it udder nonsense. :wacko:

Occhi

I think I just did a stylistic impression of Tycho there. Hmmmmmmmmmmm At least I didn't write "wang."
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Aug 26 2005, 05:49 PM Wrote:Then again, I still have the same golf clubs I bought for 229 dollars, with about 400 bucks of added clubs bags and lost golf balls since then. 
[right][snapback]87331[/snapback][/right]

Greens fees, buddy!
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Occhidiangela,Aug 26 2005, 05:49 PM Wrote:Every so often, Tycho and Gabe at Penny Arcade hit one out of the park.  Sometimes, it is just a nice line drive into deep right center field for a double. 

This one is a two bagger, both in its topic and in its presentation.  ;)

The Devil Is In The Deal

Back in the Pokemon days, and in the Pog days, I forbade my son and daughter from spending money on those money sinks.  I am glad I did.  However, at the time, my own golf habit ate up my monthly discretionary allowance, so perhaps I was not setting the world's best example.

Then again, I still have the same golf clubs I bought for 229 dollars, with about 400 bucks of added clubs bags and lost golf balls since then. 

Blizzard appears to smell a cow herd in desperate need of milking.  No surprise, as this comes from the company who brought us the ultimate reason d'etre of "computer RPG gaming," the Diablo II Cow Level. 

Perhaps they were prescient, and were merely forecasting the arrival of many customers, grazing about for the collectible card games, while mumbling to themselves:

"moo moo moo, moo moo, mooooooo!"

And Blizzard plays the role of Javazon so well.  Speaking of Javazons and the cow level, some thought it udder nonsense.  :wacko:

Occhi

I think I just did a stylistic impression of Tycho there.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm  At least I didn't write "wang."
[right][snapback]87331[/snapback][/right]

Eh. WoW is already an addiction. I felt almost burned by Magic, which I immensely enjoyed playing, so I'm going to ignore this and all future CCGs. You're quite right about this...
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon
Darian,Aug 27 2005, 02:00 AM Wrote:Greens fees, buddy!
[right][snapback]87358[/snapback][/right]

Separate issue, but an expense nonetheless. And it sure ain't gettin' any cheaper! :(

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Thawwing Light,Aug 28 2005, 04:44 PM Wrote:Eh. WoW is already an addiction. I felt almost burned by Magic, which I immensely enjoyed playing, so I'm going to ignore this and all future CCGs. You're quite right about this...
[right][snapback]87445[/snapback][/right]

I got heavily into Magic: The Gathering about a year after it came out. I don't regret the hobby - I won a couple of big tournaments in front of crowds of cheering people which is quite a buzz - but I estimate I spent about £4000 in that time

Now that's expensive but cheaper than my year of following Liverpool Football Club intensely would have been had I done that in 1995

Hence my attitude that WoW's £7.50 per month is rather cheap - some of my past hobbies were very expensive

As for WoW ccg as a game I expect it will be high quality, well thought out, absorbing and a total money pit. I recently revisited MTG, trying the online version, and having been quite good ten years ago I was awful last year. The reason being that I no longer know the cards. To be competitive at a ccg you need to know all the cards and most of the combos which requires a big investment of time and money

So basically it's a more expensive and less immersive way to play WoW with the additional downside that you have to pay for competitiveness. It's as if there were mandatory e-bay in the online game

Still I guess people will want to play it in lunch hours and breaks when PC gaming may not be available so I can't see it failing to be reasonably successful
So is this the "WoW-related announcement" that was supposed to be at the BlizzCon?

I hope not - I was hoping for something directly related :P
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
Where does she keep that rotted bear carcass?

P.S. For anyone who hasn't checked out this series... Tears... It's so funny...

I need teh +5 red glow for this 2-handed spoon. *rofl*
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Sep 6 2005, 11:02 PM Wrote:Where does she keep that rotted bear carcass?

P.S.  For anyone who hasn't checked out this series...  Tears...  It's so funny...

I need teh +5 red glow for this 2-handed spoon.  *rofl*
[right][snapback]88445[/snapback][/right]

Thanks a lot for that link. I can feel lots of wasted hours coming up in my near future now........

Grimjack