WoW makes NY Times
Conqueror in a War of Virtual Worlds
Thecla,Sep 6 2005, 07:22 PM Wrote:Conqueror in a War of Virtual Worlds
[right][snapback]88462[/snapback][/right]
Interesting article that brings up a somewhat unrelated question. They've got a couple screen shots along with the article. Do those appear to be staged graphics or do they look like actual screen shots from high end graphics cards? If the latter, I really really need to find a way to get a top end laptop. I think it looks good now, but I see so much polish in those shots. My laptop was a nice machine 2+ years ago, but I have to turn the settings all the way down and, at times, turn off the sound to be able to play in Molten Core. Oh well, I'm not going to see a new machine soon. I'll just have to try to forget how nice it can look and enjoy what I have. :mellow:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Sep 6 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:Interesting article that brings up a somewhat unrelated question.  They've got a couple screen shots along with the article.  Do those appear to be staged graphics or do they look like actual screen shots from high end graphics cards?
[right][snapback]88467[/snapback][/right]

Nowhere near high-end anymore, but here's a shot taken using a Radeon9700Pro. Just giving the link so as not to screw up the frames of the thread.
See you in Town,
-Z
I dont think much of the advertising near the bottom of the page , is that added after or is the New York Times really condoning that ? And yes I need a new graphics card after seeing some of these shots :/
Take care
Raven Vale,Sep 7 2005, 06:35 AM Wrote:I dont think much of the advertising near the bottom of the page , is that added after or is the New York Times really condoning that ? And yes I need a new graphics card after seeing some of these shots :/
[right][snapback]88479[/snapback][/right]

Quote: from the What is this link on the ad box:

CUSTOMER SERVICE

What are Advertiser Links?
Advertiser Links are contextually relevant advertisements provided by Google. These ads are created by companies that want to have their ads appear next to relevant content, based on a set of keywords they specify. These listings are administered, sorted and maintained by Google. For information about these Google ads, go to http://adwords.google.com.

By clicking on Advertiser Links you will leave NYTimes.com. The Web site you will go to is not endorsed by The New York Times Company.
"By clicking on Advertiser Links you will leave NYTimes.com. The Web site you will go to is not endorsed by The New York Times Company."

You dont have to click and leave the site to see the advertisement . If buying gold is such a big nono NYTimes should not have that on its page to begin with really . I already read "from the What is this link on the ad box:" so your last post was a bit moot , I'm not altogether thick . I just dont agree with the blatant advertisement .
Take care
*edit* nevermind its not worth arguing over. Suffice it to say that it was difficult to see that you had read the disclaimer from your original post. I'll stop trying to be helpful.
Tell The NY Times How You Feel About This
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Hiya, Loch:

I enlarged the one screen shot at the top of the page. The male in the foreground seems to be wearing sandals. While I know they exist in the game, I wonder if this is actually an artist's rendering and not an actual screenshot.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
LochnarITB,Sep 6 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:Interesting article that brings up a somewhat unrelated question.  They've got a couple screen shots along with the article.  Do those appear to be staged graphics or do they look like actual screen shots from high end graphics cards?  If the latter, I really really need to find a way to get a top end laptop.  I think it looks good now, but I see so much polish in those shots.  My laptop was a nice machine 2+ years ago, but I have to turn the settings all the way down and, at times, turn off the sound to be able to play in Molten Core.  Oh well, I'm not going to see a new machine soon.  I'll just have to try to forget how nice it can look and enjoy what I have. :mellow:
[right][snapback]88467[/snapback][/right]

I have some GORGEOUS shots of Ashenvale that I could zip up and e-mail to you, if you like. They are taken from my 6800, and let me tell you - that place is BEAUTIFUL with full graphics.

Edit:
Urgh? Looks like either a) they got wiped at some point, or B) they were on my old HDD, from Beta. I THOUGHT I had taken some gorgeous shots during retail, but I guess not? Next time I reactivate my account, I'll be sure to take some good shots.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Err reposting an entire article from the NYTimes is probably a nono copyright wise.
oldmandennis,Sep 8 2005, 09:33 AM Wrote:Err reposting an entire article from the NYTimes is probably a nono copyright wise.
[right][snapback]88609[/snapback][/right]

Well, checking their copyright blurb, I think you're right from a legal perspective, though it really makes little difference. I will spare you (or the NY Times or many similar sites) a diatribe on my feelings on what a pain in the neck it is to make people register to view their free content (only, in my case, to forget all one's IDs and passwords a week later). It's not even as if they arelikely to collect any reliable demographic information.
Thecla,Sep 9 2005, 06:14 AM Wrote:Well, checking their copyright blurb, I think you're right from a legal perspective, though it really makes little difference. I will spare you (or the NY Times or many similar sites) a diatribe on my feelings on what a pain in the neck it is to make people register to view their free content (only, in my case, to forget all one's IDs and passwords a week later). It's not even as if they arelikely to collect any reliable demographic information.
[right][snapback]88658[/snapback][/right]

It's actually quite a fine line

Basically news isn't copyrightable. If you think about it it's pretty obvious why. Imagine if people had to send off a fat royalty fee any time they wanted to mention Katrina or the Iraq War

Opinion is copyrightable. Subject to an exemption for "fair use"

So if a court case arose over the use of this article in this thread it would be unclear whether they would win their case until the judge's decision

I certainly wouldn't go by the New York Times' own opinion on copyright. Businesses very often make false statements of liability. "Customers park here at their own risk", "The management accepts no liability" etc. Very often where you see such notices a duty of care nonetheless exists