Your personal rules of random PVP?
Tal,Sep 23 2005, 01:38 PM Wrote:This is very interesting in light of what your user title used to be.
[right][snapback]90007[/snapback][/right]

You apparently misjudged the meaning. It was not complaining, it was stating fact.

I changed it due to a couple of PMs from admins wondering about the wording.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
oldmandennis,Sep 23 2005, 04:12 PM Wrote:I don't corpse camp unless severly provoked.

I have no qualms about jumping someone mid fight, or going 2v1 if thats what the odds are.

If I have killed someone once or twice already, I will let them res, then give them a /doom and /shoo, if it seems they are going after my spawns.  If they don't understand, I will kill them to defend my area, no matter how low they are.

Unless I am trying to farm something specific, I don't hang around in low level areas.

I usually let people who are grey pass, unless they are on my personal blacklist of guilds who have annoyed me.

The spirit I'm going for is that playing on a PvP server should be exciting and unpredictable, but not always fair.  If you think it is fun to ruin my fun, your guild goes on the blacklist, and I will gank but not camp you wherever you are.
[right][snapback]90038[/snapback][/right]

Identical to the way I play, excepting the bit about grays being allowed to move on by. Red=dead, with no exceptions.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Lissa,Sep 23 2005, 02:10 PM Wrote:Generally, I'm in the same boat as Tal.  I fight when it's a choice by both sides and I do defend the weak.  Case in point, some weeks back Horde were assaulting Darkshire.  As I arrived in Darkshire, the Horde were returning to SoS.  I had decided that I would go out and farm the Warlocks in Deadwind for the +Str bracer enchant.  On my way, I had a couple of Horde in front of me, about 10 levels below me.  All of the sudden a lv 20 NE Warrior was running back to Darkshire with his flag up from chasing Horde further ahead.  The lv 50 Shaman decided to hit said lv 20 with a Frost Shock and then hit him with something else and he died.  At that point, I attacked the Shaman and decimated him for his cowardly act of attacking someone 30 levels below him.  If the Shaman had minded his own business and kept retreating instead of attacking the Warrior, I would have not bothered, but the Shaman decided that someone 30 levels lower was good sport.  Said Shaman learned what it's like then an there what it feels like to be ganked by someone higher level (atleast the Shaman was still green to me, unlike the Warrior which was grey to the Shaman).  The Shaman had an Undead Mage with him that tried to fight me, but when I laid the DoTs on him for attacking me first, he promptly decided that sheeping and running was the better course of action, and with that I let him run (my DoTs didn't kill him).

To me, it's more about fair play than anything else (and yes, I know there's nothing fair in war, but, this is not war, this is a game for enjoyment).
[right][snapback]90030[/snapback][/right]
Well said, Lissa. I'm a little reluctant to chime in on this topic, as I am most certainly a n00b, having bought the game and started playing in July of this year. However, I will at least share my very first PvP experience I ever had. I play horde on Terenas, and am quite busy with the Lurkers guild there, which has been great. Early on, when I was somewhere near the level of 25 (ish), a troll rogue friend and I were out duoing in Thousand Needles, when we encountered two higher levelled alliance humans. Both were flagged, and we were not. (PvE server). They proceeded to taunt us relentlessly, follow us around, etc. Finally, one challenged the rogue with me to a duel, which was fine. They duelled, and my rogue friend lost the duel. We went on our merry way. An hour later, we happend to pass these same two fellows again, and my troll friend wanted to rematch the duel. However, he hit the wrong button, and instead of issueing a duel challenge, he flagged himself. Well, the humans instantly ganged up on him, and killed him in about 3 seconds, and then proceeded to spit on me, fart on me, make rude gestures, all those fun things the game allows you to do. I was wise enough not to flag myself, and they finally went away. My point is......I think what Tal and Lissa said about this thread makes alot of sense. I try nowadays not to prey on opposing players more than a few levels below my level. The exception is in Arathi Basin, or Warsong Gulch Battlegrounds, and we're all within 10 levels of each other anyway. There was some frustration expressed earlier in this thread about cannibalizing, corpse-camping, etc. But it has been my experience that most folks on Terenas are pretty good about being fairly straight-forward about the PvP stuff. If you take a look at Vor-Lord's thread on the Insane Cloth Posse, you'll read about a human Paladin who seemed bent on destroying all of us poor level 8 cloth wearers, but at the same time, we weren't flagged when we first encountered him, so that will give you an idea of who initiated that fight. ;) I second Lissa's thought that this game is for having fun. Not creating drama. :P Enjoy, and if I cannibalize you someday....well, I probably was needing to heal, and that's a very cheap, non-bandage way to replenish life. :D
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Rules? What rules?

The only rules are imagined. Sometimes, Honorable action can be inspired, but enforcement is impossible and 'dishonor' understood when:

1) Ease of killing
2) Extreme difficulty to communicate
3) Near-balance of Powers
4) Competition for resources

Not so different from real world. I've seen and been the big powers that can and will bully and abuse those too weak to defend, and on the other side grasping to summon arms to PvP defend an area.

There's the odd WoW player with two accounts, who can two-box from both sides, thus communicating--but its much faster and easier just to eliminate a threat before it becomes worse.

Reasons to not fight?

1) Occupied with other events
--The same 40 man guild raid is ordered to avoid PvP to get to the instance without a hassle
--Busy farming/gathering
2) Total Imbalance of powers
--No need to exert effort, or impossible to fight off in reasonable time

So... in case of 1) There are guild rules of engagement for PvP. Individuals vary.

Been on both sides. I've helped Alliance lowbies on their side, near their graveyards and seen which players have character. I've ganked and been ganked everywhere, helped, cooperated, frightened and ignored. There are no rules, only demonstrations of imbalanced power and limitations of time and material resources.

5-6 level 30's will gang up on a 60, and call on other 60's if they get slaughtered. Defense? Hah. There's only PvP, the reasons are never noble.

Honor? Fair? In War? Is that what the british thought fighting in formation in big red coats against a guerilla war willing to ambush at every corner?

You can only be benevolent if you're the one with power. Otherwise, just a door-mat for everyone else to step on.

Long live PvP! Good going keeping that PvP flag up on PvE servers. I hope Blizzard flags PvP for attacking important faction NPCs on your servers, if they haven't already.
Artega,Sep 23 2005, 09:58 PM Wrote:Identical to the way I play, excepting the bit about grays being allowed to move on by.&nbsp; Red=dead, with no exceptions.
[right][snapback]90053[/snapback][/right]

Er, so not identical at all, then. There's a very, very big difference there. Even with the 'I'll attack people if they're green to me' rule, a level 60 could happily gank a level 48 for an HK. You get nothing out of attacking a grey except the satisfaction of... hmm. What, exactly?
You don't know what you're talking about.
I am somewhat carebear as in I don't look out for PvP if I am doing something else. I am playing on Tich (PvP), btw.

In general I don't attack grey players, and even low-50s have quite a leeway from me, depending on my mood. Especially if I am heading somewhere, I don't bother dismounting. I don't charge into lost battles, esp. vs higher numbers.

OTOH if the alliance is where I need to go and/or competing for my resources, I'm going to gank them with no remorse. If I need to get to Myranda and there are 2 lvl 52s grinding, I will wait for them to get to half life and then gank - in this situation I am not going to sheepisly going to wait until they think it's a good time to kill me.

It highly depends on my mood and especially if I have something else to do when deciding if I should or not attack.

Red definitely does not mean dead to me. One of the most funny experience I had was with 3 other Basiners when we were farming Elemental Fire in Arathi. First we let any lowbie alliance to get their quest in there. And then after killing one NElf warrior, we let her just compete with us for tapping elementals because she was not aggressive. We were sheeping her mid-charge etc. and had a lot of fun doing that. We mercilessly ganked any aggressive alliance that wanted to farm there too, though. We partly used this approach to avoid some kind of revenge party from nearby AV entrance.
Artega,Sep 23 2005, 10:19 AM Wrote:Red=dead, regardless of level difference.&nbsp; They chose a PvP server, and if they don't like it, they can go roll on a PvE server.
[right][snapback]90004[/snapback][/right]
I find this rule to be just as applicable on a PvE server, and with even fewer times where it could be considered dishonorable. The choice is made differently than a PvP server, where that choice is permanently made at character creation. On a PvE server, the choice is made on a daily basis as to whether or not you give someone else power over your time by flagging. I will almost always engage a flagged player, with or without hope for one side or the other. The first kill is to be expected if you meet up with an opponent that can beat you. However, I personally think corpse camping is very low, and don't do it, but cannibalize is too useful of a racial trait to be too much of an insult. If I cannibalize your corpse, I probably just needed the life (unless you're a gnome, and therefore taste too good to be passed up) and not to taunt you unless you did something really low. I try not to ruin other people's gaming experience, but a rule of Red=Dead on a PvE server means I'm never ruining someone else's gaming experience. You don't ever really have to be flagged on a PvE server if you don't want to. There are good and bad things that come with the territory, and I take both when I make my choice, and believe so should everyone else. If I played on a PvP server, I would probably have to work out some sort of ruleset as I think a simple rule of Red=Dead would have me griefing, so it would need some caveats. On PvE however, it's simple, and I feel no dishonor in it's practice.

I like random PvP encounters, but I chose PvE realms because I don't play as much as I would like to, and the time I do have, I have things I want to get done. I don't want to give other players a lot of power over my gametime goals, and a PvP server does just that. There are enough gaming sadists that I must protect my time in the game to be sure I can achieve my in game goals in a timely fashion.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
bonemage,Sep 25 2005, 07:31 PM Wrote:I like random PvP encounters, but I chose PvE realms because I don't play as much as I would like to, and the time I do have, I have things I want to get done.
[right][snapback]90152[/snapback][/right]

Honestly, I think that's the largest difference between the two realm types by far. I'm fully aware that many PvE people will openly engage in combat with other players, even though I joke about carebears :)

While there are some nights that I'm stretched for time, and don't want to put up with the Lv.60s that feel like camping my alt while waiting on AV/AB/WSG, I'm happy I stuck with a PvP server. The ganking and counter-ganking add a lot to the otherwise tedious practice of farming or grinding :)
If I'm in friendly territory (and on a PvP server) I attack opposite faction on sight, regardless of levels. Most of the time, it's me that ends up dead because I tried to take on someone 30 levels higher than me. :whistling: If I'm in enemy territory, I try to keep a low profile. If I'm in neutral territory, it really depends. If someone is acting like a jerk, I'll attack. If they aren't, I let them be.
Intolerant monkey.
How about this one: Nightelf females especially rogues and hunters are rarely female rarely above the age of 15 and rarely will leave you alone. Kill on sight.
Sir_Die_alot,Sep 26 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:How about this one: Nightelf females especially rogues and hunters are rarely female rarely above the age of 15 and rarely will leave you alone. Kill on sight.
[right][snapback]90179[/snapback][/right]
I find this especially amusing considering I have three night elves - a rogue, a hunter and a druid. All female. ;) :D
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Sep 26 2005, 11:10 AM Wrote:I find this especially amusing considering I have three night elves - a rogue, a hunter and a druid. All female.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; :D
[right][snapback]90180[/snapback][/right]
You are an exception.

The only exception.

I propose that cross-gender play be banned. Only when verified female by DNA testing will you be allowed to create a female avatar. This might be a bad idea.
The error occurred on line -1.
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 08:48 AM Wrote:I propose that cross-gender play be banned.&nbsp; Only when verified female by DNA testing will you be allowed to create a female avatar.&nbsp; This might be a bad idea.
[right][snapback]90181[/snapback][/right]

What's wrong with cross-gender play? Are you under some kind of assumption that a male that plays a female avatar is doing so out of some kind of hormonal motivation? And vice versa?
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 11:48 AM Wrote:You are an exception.

The only exception.

I propose that cross-gender play be banned.&nbsp; Only when verified female by DNA testing will you be allowed to create a female avatar.&nbsp; This might be a bad idea.
[right][snapback]90181[/snapback][/right]

I tend to roleplay quite a bit with my "girls" Sharanna and Shalandrax and have written a good portion of their back history for my own amusement. The development of the characters is (at least to me) interesting because if it hadn't have been for my daughter Sharon neither would exist...

Back in Beta I started out playing a paladin named Eron. Then came a character lock with the addition of Horde for testing purposes. I dutifully started a couple of Horde Characters but my daughter disliked when I played horde. She found them "too ugly" especially my undead Mage Jack the Skell. She wanted me to go back to playing pretty people and wanted a girl character like Eron. So I rolled up a female paladin and named her Sharanna for Sharon. Sharon took an immediate liking to the feisty red head and soon I was playing her more than any other character. When folks returned to alliance after the character lock Sharanna was my highest character and I had even caught up with other guild notables. So to play with the "big kids" I kept on playing on Sharanna.

About that time I started working on a new fantasy novel with one of the main protagonists being a female swordswoman. I decided to create her in WoW to help keep the juices going. Once again Sharon helped with her look and with the name. She also suggested (being a only child she's keen on siblings for some reason) that they be sisters. This evolved into Sharanna being the older of the two and having raised Shalandrax since their family and home was destroyed by the undead plague. When Sharanna became of age she joined the Church and took up hammer and shield against the undead. (This is also why Shar is protection specc'd). Shalandrax, however, is a bit more of a mercenary preferring to take her anger out on any who stand against the Alliance. She initially took up their father's sword and has been dutifully working to master all manner of swords.

So this is why Sharanna and Shalandrax have come to be. Krystian came about because my wife wanted to try out WoW but has since become the third character I concentrate upon. She would have proabably ended up a he if I had been doing the choosing and would have been a dwarven priest. My other characters I play most often are Tal and Braiginn both of whom are males. :)

So in a roundabout way there are sometimes reasons beyond "zomg look at teh cute" for folks to choose a female character. :) (Probably more information than folks were looking for but I thought some might be interested)
Sir_Die_alot,Sep 26 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:How about this one: Nightelf females especially rogues and hunters are rarely female rarely above the age of 15 and rarely will leave you alone. Kill on sight.
[right][snapback]90179[/snapback][/right]
My female NE hunter resents that. :D She has the id of at least an 18 year old, and until v1.7 hunters were the 3rd rate damage class. Now we are only 2nd rate, since we can out perform some warriora, some priests and paladins.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Savingsupertokyo,Sep 23 2005, 03:04 AM Wrote:Today I landed in Dustwallow and mounted up to head towards Onyxia, that sly beast with the newly uncontrollable aggro.

As I was riding I came upon a level 31 Human Warlock named Sassafras.&nbsp; I dismounted and walked behind her for a while and she didn't&nbsp; notice me.&nbsp; I wasn't trying to sneak up on her or anything.

Then my instincts kicked in.&nbsp; I smelt burned flesh and tasted blood in my mouth in anticipation.&nbsp; Fireblast.&nbsp; Frost nova.&nbsp; Cone of cold.&nbsp; All critical hits.&nbsp;

I took off my robe and pants and cannibalized her.
Then I was ashamed, because I had broken my rules of pvp.&nbsp; #1) Red = Dead.&nbsp; #2) Unless they have a clever emote/name/guild tag that makes me laugh

She was in the guild <Respek Knuckles> and I laughed.&nbsp; I /apologize and rode on to two hours of wiping on Onyxia.&nbsp; Karma?
[right][snapback]89976[/snapback][/right]
This weekend on Stormrage, a PVE server... My level 32 Alliance Firepower (+35 fire) mage was running along the road in Dustwallow, trying to find Tabetha, trying to avoid the Crocolisks and other nasties that were continually nipping at my heals. I came upon a flagged level 35 Mage who had just completed the Jaina quest (which automatically flags you PvP), he was trying to keep a camp of alliance defenders between himself and an unflagged level 39 Horde warlock. He explained that the Warlock had tried to gank him during the Jaina battle, so I did a /wave and ran ahead allowing the Warlock to think I had sized up the situation and moved along. Then the warlock made his move, and as soon as he flagged I focused all my firepower on his pet, quickly dead. Then unloaded everything I could on him. So together my Lvl 32 mage and a Lvl 35 mage had successfully denied the lvl 39 Warlock of his trophy.

Poor Sassafras didn't stand a chance.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

vor_lord,Sep 26 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:What's wrong with cross-gender play?&nbsp; Are you under some kind of assumption that a male that plays a female avatar is doing so out of some kind of hormonal motivation?&nbsp; And vice versa?
[right][snapback]90182[/snapback][/right]
Yes.
vor_lord,Sep 26 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:And vice versa?
[right][snapback]90182[/snapback][/right]
I've never seen this happen. I suspect a female playing a male character is exceedingly rare. But as always, I could be wrong. :)
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 11:37 AM Wrote:Yes.
[right][snapback]90200[/snapback][/right]

Then let me help you -- your assumptions are wrong in at least one case. Nothing about Necrali's bony behind gives me any pleasure :lol:

What your assumption REALLY says is that if you made a female character, you wouldn't have any reason to do so other than infantile attraction, therefore it must be no one else could have another reason either. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a roleplayer, but I do like to have some personality for each of my characters. Plus, I think I'll eventually try out nearly all race/gender combinations for some variety (except perhaps female night elf, I sure wouldn't want to be stereotyped or anything :shuriken: )

VoiceMan,Sep 23 2005, 03:14 PM Wrote:If you take a look at Vor-Lord's thread on the Insane Cloth Posse, you'll read about a human Paladin who seemed bent on destroying all of us poor level 8 cloth wearers, but at the same time, we weren't flagged when we first encountered him, so that will give you an idea of who initiated that fight. ;)
[right][snapback]90058[/snapback][/right]
We elected to start combat and flag ourselves. We rightfully earned our first deaths (all one hit kills) by attacking. I would have done the same in his shoes, and that was all fair and fun. However, the camping of our corpses was the low act on his part. Had he moved on, I think the whole experience could have been chalked up as good fun on both sides.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
vor_lord,Sep 26 2005, 03:50 PM Wrote:Then let me help you -- your assumptions are wrong in at least one case.&nbsp; Nothing about Necrali's bony behind gives me any pleasure&nbsp; :lol:

What your assumption REALLY says is that if you made a female character, you wouldn't have any reason to do so other than infantile attraction, therefore it must be no one else could have another reason either. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a roleplayer, but I do like to have some personality for each of my characters.&nbsp; Plus, I think I'll eventually try out nearly all race/gender combinations for some variety (except perhaps female night elf, I sure wouldn't want to be stereotyped or anything&nbsp; :shuriken: )
[right][snapback]90214[/snapback][/right]
Ever played a tauren?

:rolleyes: