14-day Free Trial Woes
I pick up my monthly copy of PC Gamer UK, and is pleasantly surprised to see that there's a 14-day trial for WoW on the coverdisc. With little planned for the next fortnight, I decide to give it a go; it might be just enough for me to decide to spend a portion of my hopefully upcoming regular wage on.

Install runs smoothly, then up pops the account creation which mentions "guest passes". I run through the process (screwing up my account key several times in the process), and up pops the payment method page...

... With three options to impart cold, hard cash. And nothing that claims that I'll be getting my free fortnight. It mentions at the bottom of the page that I'll only be billed following my 30-day introductory period.

I pause at this stage, wondering if I put my credit card number in and select one of the three payment plans that I'll be acknowledged as a free-trial user, or if I will eventually be billed for it. I can't find anything that states how to set up a free account, not in the magazine, not in the readme, not on the WoW site. Closest I get is this post on the official tech support forum, which is being cruelly ignored while people whine about their FPS/lag/difficulty with the latest patch. I'd ask on the forum myself, but...

... You have to have a registered account to actually do so.

So basically I'm stuck with a few gigabytes of hard drive space tied up with WoW and no account set up. Anyone know what to do?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Well, there is one thing you can do. Basically, you have to find a sample of some credit card online, and enter that number into the appropriate credit card billing option. The number will work, but the card will not be checked for a while, until your 14-day pass expires.
You could enter your own credit card/debit card/whatever into the fields and use it. I'd assume that it will set up a recurring payment method, starting at the end of your fourteen day trial. Play for thirteen days, freeze (remove payment information) the account at the end of the thirteenth day. No fuss, no muss. Blizzard probably has it set up this way on the assumption that fourteen days will be sufficient to addict people :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
lemekim,Sep 24 2005, 10:12 AM Wrote:Well, there is one thing you can do. Basically, you have to find a sample of some credit card online, and enter that number into the appropriate credit card billing option. The number will work, but the card will not be checked for a while, until your 14-day pass expires.
[right][snapback]90103[/snapback][/right]

Will this work? Part of the reason for the credit card is identity verification -- my guess is the card will be checked although not billed.
I bought the collector's edition which came with a 14 day trial. I setup an account for my fiancee. I used my credit card information. I was never billed, never put a stop payment, nothing.

I believe they just use it to validate your address and what not.
Slight OT, but I have a question about the GUEST account of my WOW Collector's Edition:

If I create that guest account using the guest code (on my PC), will I be able to "mule" stuff from Horde to Alliance myself in the Gadgetzen auction house?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Sep 26 2005, 12:01 PM Wrote:Slight OT, but I have a question about the GUEST account of my WOW Collector's Edition:

If I create that guest account using the guest code (on my PC), will I be able to "mule" stuff from Horde to Alliance myself in the Gadgetzen auction house?
[right][snapback]90188[/snapback][/right]

Possibly, since buying is locked by account (unless they are way ahead of you and also check the parent account). The guest account would technically be a different account.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Sep 26 2005, 05:08 PM Wrote:Possibly, since buying is locked by account (unless they are way ahead of you and also check the parent account).  The guest account would technically be a different account.
[right][snapback]90190[/snapback][/right]
That's what I thought, too.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
a ) I am pretty sure you can't talk, trade or put anything in AH on guest accounts. Too many "gold farmers" abused them, so Blizzard took action.

b ) I think that the credit card might be checked for a proper credir card number, but that's all, if you are not actually billing it. It won't check address, name, etc. Of course, it might be different now, see above. =P
Pesmerga,Sep 26 2005, 09:56 AM Wrote:I bought the collector's edition which came with a 14 day trial.  I setup an account for my fiancee.  I used my credit card information.  I was never billed, never put a stop payment, nothing.

I believe they just use it to validate your address and what not.
[right][snapback]90187[/snapback][/right]

correct.

Have no fear, they will make you buy the game before they start charging you for usage. If they activated your account like a normal account, they would be out the money for buying the game, and we all know how likely that is to happen =).

People bought the US gaming mag (not sure if it was PC Gamer) that had the WoW trial thinking it might be a way to get the game without having to pay for the full version (just the monthly fees). 14 days later they found out they had to buy the game to re-activate their account.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Yeah, anyway thanks.

Decided I'm gonna reinstall the trial on the weekend since it's highly likely I'll have a job by then. I just swept it aside to make room for some fairly hefty games I just bought.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hope you like it, if you want some company on one of the EU servers I'll make a new character with you and talk you through some of the basics

PM me here if you want to take me up on that