Tightskates and Cheapwads
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Lurker who takes retail gimmicks and uses them against the corporations. So let's discuss. I'll go first.

I have coupon-fu, as well as discount cards for the four area stores that offer them. It doesn't get bought unless there's a sale and/or a coupon, preferably both. And I love matching ads. The local discount grocery stores take coupons too--imagine buying four packs of toilet paper at the price of one!

I buy fresh food and freeze it. I wish I could can--it's hard finding a pressure canner that isn't two hundred bucks. I never buy anything with a tomato base; Italian upbringing equals tomato-fu as well. I reuse like crazy. Stale cookies make the best pie crusts!

Brand names don't trick me. Stores often contract out their store brands to the big-name companies anyway--Del Monte cans their stuff as well as stuff for two other national grocery chains. Besides, it's not the front where you should be looking, it's the back. Premade sauces and things are often loaded with preservatives. Why pay thirty cents less for shoddy product?

I also cut onions while watching movies. Kas fears me. :shuriken:
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Oct 13 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Lurker who takes retail gimmicks and uses them against the corporations. So let's discuss. I'll go first.

I have coupon-fu, as well as discount cards for the four area stores that offer them. It doesn't get bought unless there's a sale and/or a coupon, preferably both. And I love matching ads. The local discount grocery stores take coupons too--imagine buying four packs of toilet paper at the price of one!

I buy fresh food and freeze it. I wish I could can--it's hard finding a pressure canner that isn't two hundred bucks. I never buy anything with a tomato base; Italian upbringing equals tomato-fu as well. I reuse like crazy. Stale cookies make the best pie crusts!

Brand names don't trick me. Stores often contract out their store brands to the big-name companies anyway--Del Monte cans their stuff as well as stuff for two other national grocery chains. Besides, it's not the front where you should be looking, it's the back. Premade sauces and things are often loaded with preservatives. Why pay thirty cents less for shoddy product?

I also cut onions while watching movies. Kas fears me.  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]92034[/snapback][/right]

Coupons with us are an episodic thing. I await meat sales on the styles I like then chop and freeze.

I buy a lot of generic, Mrs Occhi is not as motivated, but she and my daughter are hell on consignment and very careful timing on clothing sales.

Make our own spaghetti sauce. Three years of practice in Italy will do that to you. Buy pasta boxes, Barilla, by the case, save 15%.

Day old bread. (1/2 off)

Generic Sodas.

Our downfall is the deli counter, of course, with cheese and meat by the pound, pre sliced to the thickness you want while you watch. Just too tempting . . . but we buy store brand, not Boar's Head.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
To find a quality canning setup check with grandparents, yard sales, estate sales, and classifieds. Or find a friend or relative with a canning setup and have a canning party. Many hands make light work, even when you're making a double batch ;) .

One thing to remember as a bargain hunter, especially with things like food and auto parts, do not sacrifice quality to save a few pennies. In the long run you'll come out ahead and more satisfied. That's not to say bargain brands are crap, many off brands have quality products. Remember, if it tastes like sawdust then it wasn't worth the $0.17 you saved.

And one thing I always must remind certain friends and family: if you bought it only because it's on sale then it's no bargain.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I pick up every penny I see on the street and hoard them. I collect all my spare change. The last time I hauled change to the bank to be counted the change counted out to a couple of hundred dollars.

I do my best to never buy anything at full price.

When out and about, I carry my own water flask rather than have to buy bottled water. I have been known to dehydrate rather than drop 50 cents for a soda from a machine. I loathe disposable pens for their expense! I would rather buy a pen and fill it with ink my self, home made ink at that, made from lampblack. Home made ink is almost free... Burn a big glass bowl with an oil burning lamp. Crude oil, the kind that makes the most soot. And then place the right kind of oil in the bowl to mix with the lampblack. And a few drops of this and that. I can whip up a litre or so of ink in no time. Screw Bic and their damned expensive wallet draining disposable pens. Bother. Bah humbug even.

My wallet is infested with cobwebs.

While I do buy some expensive things... Very expensive things on occasion, I absolutely HATE spending money. Any money actually leaving my hand is a physical pain... A horrible gut churning pain. My palms sweat, my left eyelid quivers, the corner of my mouth twitches, and the back of my calves convulse and cramp, probably from some kind of adrenaline response or something. Cashiers despise me... Because they are forced to pull the bills from my tightly clinched fingers, and they curse at me and tell me to let go.

If more money comes out of your bank than goes in, then your life has all kinds of trouble. I hate spending money.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Hi, Count,

Wow, now here's a thread I can really relate to!

Having spent much of my life going to school of one type or other, at least part-time, I've HAD to watch my pennies carefully, to the point that it's become pretty much second nature. Depressingly, money has ended up being even tighter since I finally finished with school (well, maybe... :blink: ). I suspect if I won a lottery jackpot, and had a few million dollars in the bank, I'd still probably practice some of my tightwad ways, they've become so ingrained in me.

Count Duckula,Oct 14 2005, 02:50 AM Wrote:I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Lurker who takes retail gimmicks and uses them against the corporations. So let's discuss. I'll go first.

It doesn't get bought unless there's a sale and/or a coupon, preferably both. And I love matching ads. The local discount grocery stores take coupons too--imagine buying four packs of toilet paper at the price of one!

Yeah, it's not uncommon for me to go to my usual grocery store, and 80-100% of what I buy is on sale. I may spend $15, and the store receipt helpfully tells me that I saved $15 that day via sale prices. I suspect that chain loses money most of the time I shop there. :w00t: Coupons on sale items are icing on the cake, though I'm not quite as regular about using coupons as I used to be.

Most of the computer hardware I buy is not only on sale, but has a rebate with it. Same with non-game software. And I make a point to redeem rebates; I probably have a 95+% success rate redeeming rebates.

I don't buy computer games when they first come out (D2 is the only game in the past 10 years that I've bought within 6 months of it coming out - and that was partly because I got involved in the last stage of Beta-testing of D2, and had loved playing the Barbarian in Act 1; I had to see what the rest of the game was like!).

However, usually I wait for the price to drop significantly, like down to the $20 or under range. In fact, my usual upper limit for a game is about $10-15, unless it's a bundle of some kind. I occasionally pick up a used copy of something, either on eBay or at a local store (although over the last year, used PC games have pretty much disappeared from local stores to make room for more console crap :angry: ).

I haven't bought a new book for ages. $6-7 for a paperback, when I know a couple of places I can buy used ones for $.25-.50? Forget it! Plus, I have library cards for three libraries, at one of which I can check out VHS tapes and DVD's for free.

"Screw Bic and their damned expensive wallet draining disposable pens."

Gee, Doc, you pay money for disposable pens? I still have much of a box of disposable Bic pens that I paid 1 penny for a few years back (some kind of promotion, IIRC, I bought something else and the pens were a near give-away). I admire your zeal on making your own ink; more, I envy the energy level you apparently have. First your salsa thread, now ink...wow.

Heh, my apartment is furnished mostly in used furniture, several pieces of which I have appropriated from the top or edges of garbage piles (I do have SOME standards :D ). Tighten a few screws, apply some glue or nails in strategic places, and voila... perfectly adequate stuff. I sometimes can't believe what people send to landfills.

In fact, since I've had an interest in electronics for 40+ years, if I see some piece of electronics in my apartment dumpster, I'll often fish it out and take it inside to dismantle it, partly just to see how things are put together, but also to scavenge parts I might have a use somehow, or can recycle. I admit, a lot of the stuff eventually goes back into the dumpster, but at least I save some things from going to the landfill. I have several yogurt containers filled with small screws, nuts, washers, etc. scavenged from dismantled equipment over the years. Anyone need some? I probably have several life-times worth at the rate I find use for them. :lol:

Oh yeah, I have bought a few plastic storage containers (Rubbermaid and ilk), but I use scavenged containers for a lot of purposes.

Umm, I get most of my napkins and toothpicks from places where I "eat out," which doesn't happen often, but cooking happens to be something I don't really enjoy, so I eat out cheap now and then. For me, it's a real splurge (a couple to few times a year) to go to a buffet-type place and blow $10 for a meal.

I even "recycle" toothpicks - I prefer the round kind, and when the tips start fraying, I pick up a pocketknife and whittle new points to them! Can anyone beat that? :blush: [although, this might come partly from being a farm kid who always carried a pocketknife, and who sometimes killed slack time in the hay and grain fields by whittling twigs, straws, etc.]

I suppose part of my thrifty nature comes from my parents. They both grew up on farms in North Dakota during the depression of the '30's, and started their own farm there in the '40's, during WWII. Even though they never preached about such things, I think just from the example they set, all of their kids tend to be thrifty and self-reliant. Although I don't recall them using it often, they pretty much lived by the old adage "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

When a piece of farm equipment reached the point where it couldn't be fixed anymore, it got parked someplace out of the way, and served as a source of parts to fix up other equipment. Or, sometimes my dad made stuff from scratch, and used, whenever possible, parts & pieces from junked equipment. Same with buildings. If a building was too ramshackle to use, it got carefully dismantled, with as much of the wood saved as possible, to be reused elsewhere. Periodically, he would load up a pickup with metal scrap that he finally couldn't see a use for, and take it to a scrap-metal dealer.

My dad was sort of a jack-of-all-trades. I think, not so much by nature, but because usually there just wasn't money to hire someone to do things, so he learned how to do them himself. Mechanic, carpenter, electrician, mason, veterinarian, welder, ... Plus 4-H leader, school board member, township board member, election board member, ...oh, yeah, and farmer! :) I'm sure if I thought about it more, I could add lots to the list.

Well, this post has taken an unexpected detour. I think it was coincidence, but my dad died just over a year ago, and I guess this is as close as I've come to writing a (well-deserved) eulogy or tribute. Hope you don't mind.

So, all of you self-admitted tightwads and cheapskates out there, let's give a big rousing Bronx Cheer to the "reality" TV show, "I want to be a Hilton!" [gag, retch]

Regards,

Dako-ta

"A witty saying proves nothing."

-- Voltaire

Making ink is seriously no trouble. About five minutes once every few years. The tricky part is filling the pen. Once you make a giant bowl of lampblack ink, and store it in a glass stoppered bottle, it's just there. People always assume it's some kind of big deal and that it's time consuming. In reality, I would probably spend more time in the store buying pens and waiting in the check out line.

Your dad sounds like my kind of man.

Waste nothing.

A cheer for the penny penchers, past, present, and future.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Count Duckula,Oct 13 2005, 09:50 PM Wrote:I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Lurker who takes retail gimmicks and uses them against the corporations. So let's discuss. I'll go first.

Hi

I find my best defence against the corporations is simply not buying things. I don't need to upgrade my still-functional whatever-it-is until it is actually not functioning. We tend to try to repair ourselves things that are not functioning anymore. The new-fangled whatsis that is a hot seller today will doubtless have a cheaper/more effective upgrade in a couple of years, and I can decide then whether I *need* it. The consumerism in our society is a curse.

On food items: I do tend to ignore those ubiquitous coupon packs that arrive on my doorstep. Most of the time, they are for items that I don't need anyway. Further, a drive to the place where they are offered can use up any savings in the product purchase price with gas and parking costs. If you can walk to the stores that offer these coupons, then it is worthwhile.

I shop at bulk stores for food. Purchasing by the case lot generally makes the unit price as low as the (limited volume) coupon prices. The store I use has a yearly fee attached, but also has a rebate based on annual purchase totals, and I always get a rebate that more than pays for the annual fee. This works for me because I do have to feed six of us, and I have found a way to store the stuff until I use it. This also prevents impulse purchasing of things I don't really need.

We buy most of our meat from a farmer. He keeps one calf aside from his 'usual' feeding regimen so that it gets no growth hormones or antibiotics in the feed. This ends up costing us less than regular grocery store prices and more than sale prices, but the main benefit is the absence of those ubiquitous additional elements (although the quality is high too - no meat from over-the-hill dairy cows can compare with yearling Limousin).

For things that are not part of the food budget: I am a fan of quality over quantity. For example, a cheap pair of socks or shoes will wear out fast and hurt your feet; I would rather buy better quality ones and have fewer pairs.

I broke down and bought a digital camera this spring. It was on sale because it was the 'wrong' size and colour. :blink: It had all the features I wanted. Who cares what colour a camera is? And it was still smaller than the one I was replacing. Who needs a credit card sized camera?

I care not whether I am wearing the latest in designs, as long as I am comfortable. This can create problems at one end - by the time the favourite clothing item has worn out, it can be very hard to find a replacement, due to the ephemeral nature of that industry. (*wails* Where are the Viyella shirts of yesteryear? I can't find them anymore.) I keep tabs on certain stores that I know have deep discount policies on 'out of season' clothing. A quick cruise past the sales rack there can snag me a coat/blouse/trousers/shirt at 25% of original retail price although there is no advertised sale.

And, lastly, services cost an arm and a leg. Why pay someone else to do things for you when you can do them yourself or live without them? Phone services come to mind - basic telephone service is dirt cheap. Call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding services all can add up fast. Lawn care is another money sucking industry, based on our fears that we won't look good. So is the beauty industry - a good haircut costs $15 but I know many women (and men) who somehow need to colour/tint/curl/straighten their locks for a guaranteed $100 every six weeks. Don't let me get started on the costs of skin care products - suffice it to say that cleanliness is a sufficient base for good skin, no matter how much age has added to your wrinkles. :rolleyes:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Oct 14 2005, 08:46 AM Wrote:Hi

I find my best defence against the corporations is simply not buying things.  I don't need to upgrade my still-functional whatever-it-is until it is actually not functioning.  We tend to try to repair ourselves things that are not functioning anymore.  The new-fangled whatsis that is a hot seller today will doubtless have a cheaper/more effective upgrade in a couple of years, and I can decide then whether I *need* it.    The consumerism in our society is a curse.

On food items:  I do tend to ignore those ubiquitous coupon packs that arrive on my doorstep.  Most of the time, they are for items that I don't need anyway.  Further, a drive to the place where they are offered can use up any savings in the product purchase price with gas and parking costs.  If you can walk to the stores that offer these coupons, then it is worthwhile.

I shop at bulk stores for food.  Purchasing by the case lot generally makes the unit price as low as the (limited volume) coupon prices.  The store I use has a yearly fee attached, but also has a rebate based on annual purchase totals, and I always get a rebate that more than pays for the annual fee.    This works for me because I do have to feed six of us, and I have found a way to store the stuff until I use it.    This also prevents impulse purchasing of things I don't really need.

We buy most of our meat from a farmer.  He keeps one calf aside from his 'usual' feeding regimen so that it gets no growth hormones or antibiotics in the feed.  This ends up costing us less than regular grocery store prices and more than sale prices, but the main benefit is the absence of those ubiquitous additional elements (although the quality is high too - no meat from over-the-hill dairy cows can compare with yearling Limousin).   

For things that are not part of the food budget:  I am a fan of quality over quantity.  For example, a cheap pair of socks or shoes will wear out fast and hurt your feet; I would rather buy better quality ones and have fewer pairs. 

I broke down and bought a digital camera this spring.  It was on sale because it was the 'wrong' size and colour.  :blink:  It had all the features I wanted.  Who cares what colour a camera is?  And it was still smaller than the one I was replacing.  Who needs a credit card sized camera?

I care not whether I am wearing the latest in designs, as long as I am comfortable.  This can create problems at one end - by the time the favourite clothing item has worn out, it can be very hard to find a replacement, due to the ephemeral nature of that industry.  (*wails*  Where are the Viyella shirts of yesteryear?  I can't find them anymore.)    I keep tabs on certain stores that I know have deep discount policies on 'out of season' clothing.  A quick cruise past the sales rack there can snag me a coat/blouse/trousers/shirt at 25% of original retail price although there is no advertised sale.

And, lastly, services cost an arm and a leg.  Why pay someone else to do things for you when you can do them yourself or live without them?  Phone services come to mind - basic telephone service is dirt cheap.  Call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding services all can add up fast.    Lawn care is another money sucking industry, based on our fears that we won't look good.  So is the beauty industry - a good haircut costs $15 but I know many women (and men) who somehow need to colour/tint/curl/straighten their locks for a guaranteed $100 every six weeks.  Don't let me get started on the costs of skin care products - suffice it to say that cleanliness is a sufficient base for good skin, no matter how much age has added to your wrinkles.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]92075[/snapback][/right]

Shadow, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but in another time, another place, I could have fallen in love with you. :wub:

A thrifty woman is more valuable than rubies.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Oct 14 2005, 09:27 AM Wrote:Shadow, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but in another time, another place, I could have fallen in love with you. :wub:
[right][snapback]92080[/snapback][/right]

Bah!

I am strong-minded, opinionated, stubborn and occasionally irascible. We would give each other headaches from butting heads all the time. :P

Now as neighbours, we would get along just fine. :) Well, most of the time... ;)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

My dad's brother (my uncle) was an old school chemist and metallurgist, so we made many things that other people buy. I remember for wounds, whether they be on a human or animal, we had a thick salve that burned a little but seemed to speed healing tremendously. I know it had some beeswax, and some sulfer in it.

For many things you will need you should consult Online Chemisty Store or your local chemist/hardware/pharmacist.

For instance;

Neutral Color Shoe Polish
Soap flakes 30g (1 oz)
Potassium carbonate 15g (0.5 oz) (K2CO3) that is basic in solution
Beeswax 150g (5oz)
Gum arabic powder 15g (0.5 oz)
Icing (powdered) sugar 45g (1.5 oz)

Slice the beeswax, and add to 568 ml (a pint) of water. Stir in the soap flakes and potassium carbonate. Boil until a smooth paste. Whilst the mixture is still hot (turn off the heat, but act quickly), add and stir the gum arabic powder and icing sugar. For a specifically black polish, 280g (10 oz) of charcoal powder from the chemist may be added at this stage. Pour into tins and let harden, then close tightly and store.

The above recipe uses Potassium Carbonate - potash - whereas the following recipe uses Potassium Bicarbonate, which is not potash.

Black Shoe Polish
120g (1/4 lb) beeswax
284ml (1/2 pint) turpentine
22g (3/4 oz) potassium bicarbonate
30g (1 oz) Black Dye
4.5l (8 pints) boiling water

Melt wax in boiling water and stir in the potassium, using a large pot to allow for the mixture foaming up. Dissolve the nigrosene in a little cold water and stir it in thoroughly, bring to the boil, and simmer gently for some minutes, stirring it until it creams. Take mixture off the fire, and stir in the turpentine. Put away in small tins, tightly closed.

Also, these ingredients are flamable so avoid cooking around open flames.

My wife still *boggles* some times when I get the urge to cook some homegrown stuff. Check out this site. Yup, make your own biodiesel, soap, or you name it. I also got some good ideas from Primitive Ways, which we cannot allow Doc to read. :D "Grow your own bowstrings", Cha! Right!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I learned most of what I know growing up in the poor backwoods South.

I learned how to make paper and ink. I learned how to sew. I learned how to knit and crochet. I learned whatever I could from whomever would teach me.

Might sound funny in this modern age, because the South really has changed... But even back in the 50s and 60s many parts of the South were still using Colonial era technology. People either didn't have access to, or could not afford electricity. Phones were for the rich and socially snooty. People made just about everything themselves. Shoe polish, ink, soap, their clothes, everything. For a lot of folk, you didn't go out and just buy a table and chair... You made it, or you helped somebody that knew how to make it, or you made something important and you traded for it. There was a large section of the population that never actually made money... They made goods and traded for other goods they needed. Extreme poverty did not allow for buying what you needed.

Living that way as a child left deep roots in my life as an adult.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Lurker who takes retail gimmicks and uses them against the corporations. So let's discuss. I'll go first.

My family members get together once a week and look though circulars for all the local convenience stores. They look for every item that has an online rebate or coupon that makes the product free, then go out on a spree buying everything they can get for nothing.

It isn't uncommon for me to fill out about $50 or so of rebates each week. They even pick up junk that will never be used if it's free. (I mean really, how many personal alarm systems do you need?) Riteaid is a big hit for free products.

Grocery purchases are usually 50% less from coupons. Clothing is always bought at greatly reduced prices. After a shopping trip, the women will go through an elaborate unveiling procedure allowing us to guess the prices they paid for their purchases.

Being cheap can be fun :)
kandrathe,Oct 14 2005, 08:32 AM Wrote:Yup, make your own biodiesel, soap, or you name it.
Biodiesel is surprisingly easy to make at home. At the UW there were actually several different clubs that had built their own biodiesel reactors in their garage and were making biodiesel from waste oil/grease from the restaurants near the school. Last year my senior design project was to design a biodiesel reactor. When we finished, we figured out that it would only cost about $1 million dollars to make the process and it could easily fit in a garage. Not too shabby for producing ~1 million gallons of biodiesel per year. :)
-TheDragoon
I buy what I like. If it's a no-brand, cool. If it is a known brand, it's cool too. I only buy items on sale if they are my preferred product anyway, not just because they are on sale. I do not use coupons, unless they are the ones that you peel off the actual product at the time you are in line at the checkout. I get very annoyed at people who have 20-30 coupons... unless they are behind me in line.

-A
Count Duckula,Oct 13 2005, 09:50 PM Wrote:I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Lurker who takes retail gimmicks and uses them against the corporations. So let's discuss.

Sales, coupons, discounts, etc., are all to the benefit of the corporation. They are just happy they have all of us placated. See below:

[Image: graph.jpg]

Here we have supply and demand for some product that sells normally at a price of P1 which is located at the intersection of the supply and demand curves, which are blue and green, respectively. The shaded yellow region represents the total revenue of said product. Because of the nature of demand, suppliers know that many people are willing to pay more than P1, but in order to sell more products they must charge less.

One method they use in order to gain more revenue and diminish consumer surplus is to put products on "sale" or have coupons, gimmicks, etc. What does this do? Well, on the graph, it lowers the price to P2. As expected by demand, the number of products sold increases. The revenue from the discount is represented by the shaded blue region, which increases the total revenue.

In reality, suppliers have nothing to lose and money to gain with all the "gimmicks". I am quite certain that prices are generally set at higher prices than expected by supply and demand, then brought down to expected levels with sales and the like (varies per industry). On the graph that would look like the shaded blue area on top the yellow portion instead of to the right.

jahcs Wrote:And one thing I always must remind certain friends and family: if you bought it only because it's on sale then it's no bargain.

What it amounts to in the end is exactly what jahcs advises against: more people buy only when it is on sale. No sale = no purchase. Just look down an aile of a gorcery store and see how many of those "special savings" tags line the racks. I will tell you one thing, they aren't there because no one is buying the products they represent.

Anyways, I don't really pay much attention to sale prices, clearance, etc. It is all about what I (or you) am willing to pay for something. For example, I am willing to pay $50 for the 1.00 version of classic Diablo (ones in retail now come without a paper manual and they are v1.08). It won't sell for more than $15. That's as good as a sale to me.

Don't get me wrong - finding something you want at a sale price can never be bad. But what good is practicing coupon-fu if someone can't help but get into credit card debt, or pays each month for a new mercedes for the next three years, or has a TV bigger than is needed, or has enough cell phone minutes to talk continuously for 10 days straight, or...
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Doc,Oct 14 2005, 10:20 AM Wrote:I learned most of what I know growing up in the poor backwoods South. ...
[right][snapback]92094[/snapback][/right]

Doc's law. In any thread where Doc has a lot of posts, the chance of him mentioning living or growing up in South Carolina, the south, the southeast U.S., the southern U.s., etc. goes up to 1.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I'll probably end up following the "buy as little as possible" way of saving money.

some kinds of plain foods taste pretty good, and work fine for eating. Plain shicken with some honey/mayonnaise/mustard sauce tastes pretty good for me, guacamole also works, though not sure how expensive the avacados are, Rice and some kinds of sauce also work fine. I'll probaby learn more in a few years when I get out of the dorm and to my own place to live. Sushi making materials will probably also be on the list, to save a lot of money. I also don't eat very much nowadays, so that helps.

For shoes, I have one pair of suit shoes for times I need a suit, mostly though I just get one pair of newbalance shoes a year and wear them into the ground. By the end of the shoe cycle they usually have some holes and the bottoms are worn pretty smooth, but they still work fine as shoes. I used to get cleats for soccer, but don't play anymore.

Hair cutting and shaving is just some electric clippers. Keeping it short means no comb needed. I just cut my own hair, and feel if I missed anywhere.

If I ever fealt like paying attention, I would just figure out whether toilet paper, paper towels, or kleenexes werew cheaper, and use one of them for all three jobs. I
will already use these three interchangebly if one runs out.

Clothing is pretty much tee-shirts, sweat shirts, shorts, sweat pants from target, so far. Pretty much in the future, whatewver clothes I get, I'll just grab the cheapest ones I can find, since unless they are super uncomfortable or itchy I don't really notice any difference.

For computers I'll probably stick with one that works until it breaks down. Same goes for any electronics. Mostly with CD's Me or my brother will burn them if we need extra.

The main things I probably will end up spending extra money on are types of foods I really like and computer games. I don't get that many computer games so don't worry about the price. Some types of food would take awhile to figure out how to make myself, so I just spend the money on them.

I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Oct 14 2005, 02:55 PM Wrote:Doc's law.  In any thread where Doc has a lot of posts, the chance of him mentioning living or growing up in South Carolina, the south, the southeast U.S., the southern U.s., etc.  goes up to 1.
[right][snapback]92134[/snapback][/right]

I also mention the Pacific Northwest a lot. Spent a good bit of time living there. :P

I need to go back to Spokane someday.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Oct 14 2005, 12:20 PM Wrote:I also mention the Pacific Northwest a lot. Spent a good bit of time living there. :P

I need to go back to Spokane someday.
[right][snapback]92140[/snapback][/right]

After visiting your old haunts in Spokane head a bit further west and see the sights on the coast. I'm sure those of us who Lurk over here would be happy to give you some sightseeing destinations.

BTW: Spokane has changed quite a bit in the last 8 years or so.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Doc,Oct 14 2005, 06:58 PM Wrote:If more money comes out of your bank than goes in, then your life has all kinds of trouble.
[right][snapback]92053[/snapback][/right]
That's good advice.