Herbalism Oddities
I'm asking myself if Blizzard has made a mistake with the Herbalism level requirements for Plaguebloom, Mountain Silversage and some other herbs which are still of ORANGE color (quite high chance to get a failed attempt while looting). I'm a level 300 Herbalist and am still getting failed attempts while farming these high-end herbs. This is especially annoying because often dangerous monsters are nearby. I don't know any other profession that still has orange level requirements when maxed out to skill level 300. Mining a Rich Thorium Vein, for example, is yellow and doesn't result in failed loot attempts. Is this an oversight on Blizzard's part?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I think it's intentional, to add an element of risk to Herbalism. Also, it is possible to get more than 300 herbalism. Tauren max out at 315, and I think I've seen an item or enchant that increases herbalism as well.
choppedliver,Oct 13 2005, 10:56 AM Wrote:I think it's intentional, to add an element of risk to Herbalism.  Also, it is possible to get more than 300 herbalism.  Tauren max out at 315, and I think I've seen an item or enchant that increases herbalism as well.
[right][snapback]91947[/snapback][/right]

A couple things...

Herbalist Gloves and +5 gloves enchant.

So 310, or 325 if you are Tauren who can get the (Alliance only) pattern for the gloves, or the gloves from Gadgetzan.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Some mobs, most importantly "The Beast" and the Core Hounds in MC require more then 300 skinning. To get there you need "Finkle's Skinner" which is an uncommon drop off the very "Beast" you need it for.

So while failing an orange is unpleasant, consider yourself lucky you didn't blow 2hr last night like I did trying to acquire a stupid knife just to "finish" your trade skill.
oldmandennis,Oct 13 2005, 12:55 PM Wrote:Some mobs, most importantly "The Beast" and the Core Hounds in MC require more then 300 skinning.  To get there you need "Finkle's Skinner" which is an uncommon drop off the very "Beast" you need it for.

So while failing an orange is unpleasant, consider yourself lucky you didn't blow 2hr last night like I did trying to acquire a stupid knife just to "finish" your trade skill.
[right][snapback]91958[/snapback][/right]

You can even go on top of that. There is a +5 enchant for gloves for skinning. Always fun to run and see things that require 315 skinning to skin. In all the runs of UBRS that I've done (and I stopped keeping track after 20) I've seen Finkle's once...and passed on it, as I'm toying with the idea of just tossing skinning altogether.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
nobbie,Oct 13 2005, 08:49 AM Wrote:I'm asking myself if Blizzard has made a mistake with the Herbalism level requirements for Plaguebloom, Mountain Silversage and some other herbs which are still of ORANGE color (quite high chance to get a failed attempt while looting). I'm a level 300 Herbalist and am still getting failed attempts while farming these high-end herbs. This is especially annoying because often dangerous monsters are nearby. I don't know any other profession that still has orange level requirements when maxed out to skill level 300. Mining a Rich Thorium Vein, for example, is yellow and doesn't result in failed loot attempts. Is this an oversight on Blizzard's part?
[right][snapback]91946[/snapback][/right]

Skinners can have 300 skill and still have orange skins (anything that is lv 58+ to a 300 skinner without enchantment or +skinning weapon will see this).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
choppedliver,Oct 13 2005, 03:56 PM Wrote:I think it's intentional, to add an element of risk to Herbalism.  Also, it is possible to get more than 300 herbalism.  Tauren max out at 315, and I think I've seen an item or enchant that increases herbalism as well.
[right][snapback]91947[/snapback][/right]
Yes, I know that you can get +5 Herbalism as enchantment, but I'm wondering that the most expensive resources in the game, i.e. Arcane Crystals, can be farmed without problems from yellow colored RTV's..
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Mirajj,Oct 13 2005, 09:58 AM Wrote:You can even go on top of that. There is a +5 enchant for gloves for skinning. .... I've seen Finkle's once...and passed on it, as I'm toying with the idea of just tossing skinning altogether.
[right][snapback]91959[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I know about the golves, it's just that they are sooooo much easier to get then Finkles. And the gloves alone get you a couple of extra dragonkin in UBRS, big whoop.

The reason I NEED this knife is our guild only has two of them, and since we are casual sometimes we hit the core with niether of the players who have it. It sucks to waste all the core leather.

oldmandennis,Oct 13 2005, 01:13 PM Wrote:The reason I NEED this knife is our guild only has two of them, and since we are casual sometimes we hit the core with niether of the players who have it.  It sucks to waste all the core leather.

You also need 315 skinning to skin Onyxia, so your guild can collect Onyxia scales and make Onyxia Scale Cloaks.
MongoJerry,Oct 14 2005, 12:55 PM Wrote:You also need 315 skinning to skin Onyxia, so your guild can collect Onyxia scales and make Onyxia Scale Cloaks.
[right][snapback]92149[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but we are in a guild alliance. Ony only goes down when we are with our "big brothers", and between the lot of us finkles is no problem. The only problem is when we try to do the core by ourselves. We can only get to 30% left on Mag, so Core leather is a big percentage of the loot.

How many fights are those cloaks necessary for? How far into BWL are they? What is the minimum number you need to get through the fight?
oldmandennis,Oct 14 2005, 03:55 PM Wrote:How many fights are those cloaks necessary for?  How far into BWL are they?  What is the minimum number you need to get through the fight?

Everyone should wear one. The first boss where you want to wear them is with the fourth boss in the zone, Firemaw.
oldmandennis,Oct 13 2005, 12:55 PM Wrote:Some mobs, most importantly "The Beast" and the Core Hounds in MC require more then 300 skinning.  To get there you need "Finkle's Skinner" which is an uncommon drop off the very "Beast" you need it for.

[right][snapback]91958[/snapback][/right]
And now, if you kill Thekal enough times perhaps Zulian Slicer.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Man... I hope that does not mean that lvl 65 mobs with important skins will be soon in the game. It would suck for skinning to be restricted to Warrior, Rogue, and Hunter.
Possibly included to allow the rare skinning Paladin to achieve a high enough skinning skill, since they can't equip Finkle's Skinner (dagger)?
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Trien,Oct 15 2005, 03:30 PM Wrote:Possibly included to allow the rare skinning Paladin to achieve a high enough skinning skill, since they can't equip Finkle's Skinner (dagger)?
[right][snapback]92239[/snapback][/right]
Yeah. That's what the idea behind the slicer is, as best anyone can tell. I think they forgot about paladins when they made the skinner :/
Taeme,Oct 17 2005, 09:57 PM Wrote:Yeah. That's what the idea behind the slicer is, as best anyone can tell. I think they forgot about paladins when they made the skinner :/
[right][snapback]92458[/snapback][/right]

Poor implementation in that it still favors warriors, rogues, and hunters. I'm surprised they didn't make it Main-hand.
See you in Town,
-Z
kandrathe,Oct 15 2005, 07:09 AM Wrote:And now, if you kill Thekal enough times perhaps Zulian Slicer.
[right][snapback]92212[/snapback][/right]

Arethor is a proud owner of a Zulian Slicer. Since I got mine I've seen 2 others drop. Only 1/4 runs that I can remember did it not drop off of Thekal so it seems like a pretty good rate.

Zarathustra,Oct 20 2005, 09:47 AM Wrote:Poor implementation in that it still favors warriors, rogues, and hunters.  I'm surprised they didn't make it Main-hand.
[right][snapback]92746[/snapback][/right]

I agree here since if I had been a rogue I could be at 325 skinning instead of 315. No more failed attempts on skinning high level mobs :w00t: At this point it's not an issue, but if they add mobs that require higher skinning then they'll need to compensate in some manner again. Only time will tell.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)