Terenas Guild Tabard
Two guild members have asked about changing the tabard. Here is the partial text of my reply:
"I am reluctant to change the tabard design for several reasons.
1. It was designed by Sir_Die who has been a member for a long time.
2. Sir_Die had actually proposed several different designs, and we voted on them.
3. Gnollguy, the first guild master of the Lurkers on Terenas likes the tabard. He has written the following post on these forums. "The Terenas Lurker tabard is brown with a golden totem. It rocks muchly."

These are the basic choices:
Leave it alone?
Change the color?
Change the symbol?
42?

Feel free to post or PM me.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Nov 6 2005, 08:22 AM Wrote:Two guild members have asked about changing the tabard.  Here is the partial text of my reply:
2. Sir_Die had actually proposed several different designs, and we voted on them.
3. Gnollguy, the first guild master of the Lurkers on Terenas likes the tabard. He has written the following post on these forums. "The Terenas Lurker tabard is brown with a golden totem. It rocks muchly."
Leave it alone?
Change the color?
Change the symbol?
42?

[right][snapback]94235[/snapback][/right]

I personally believe the only problems with the tabard is the baby-poo brown color and the silver border. if we matched the border to the gold totem (which does rock muchly) and found a nicer shade of brown I think more people would want to wear it over the scout tabard.

At least, thats how I see it.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Urza-DSF,Nov 6 2005, 07: Wrote:I personally believe the only problems with the tabard is the baby-poo brown color and the silver border.  if we matched the border to the gold totem (which does rock muchly) and found a nicer shade of brown I think more people would want to wear it over the scout tabard.

At least, thats how I see it.
[right][snapback]94236[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking along similiar lines when I PMed Alram about a change. I included this link which is what I was thinking would improve it. Mainly just tweaking the colors some to add contrast and give it (what I feel to be) a stronger more cohesive image while keeping the brown and gold feel which keeps it feeling "loungish".
Alram,Nov 6 2005, 07:22 AM Wrote:Two guild members have asked about changing the tabard.  Here is the partial text of my reply:
Leave it alone?
Change the color?
Change the symbol?
42?

I would like to keep the gold totem and keep it a brown. Browns are a nice neutral color and will go with many outfits. On Stormrage, while the tabard looks nice, I frequently can't wear it on many of my characters simply because it clashes with far too many outfits. We all want Mogo looking her best. :D

It is also rather unique to have a brown color. If I see a brown color, more often than not that means it's a random Lurker sighting, which I always enjoy and put a smile on my face. :) What can I say? It doesn't take much to keep me happy. ;) On Stormrage, the tabard isn't quite as unique, neither ours nor the Basiner's tabard. And for the life of me, I can't remember what a CA tabard looks like. I mainly notice those sightings because I move the mouse around and can read quickly when I flash hover an Avarice member.

Maybe changing the color of the border to a gold that matches the totem would work. I still like SirD's design that we voted on so long ago, but I'm not so stubborn that I'm going to ignore others' opinions, especially the newest cadre of folks. Tweaking is good. Completely ditching that design wouldn't make it feel quite like the Lurkers guild anymore. We've had that tabard since before we had any level 60s so I'd like to keep as much of that feel of the tabard as we can.

Please note: Nothing in this post is supposed to be negative about any other tabard on Stormrage. I'm not saying anything about those other tabards need to be changed. I also don't think our tabard on Terenas needs to be changed, but I'm not going to completely alienate our newcomers (who make up the majority of active players over there now) over something as silly as this. Terenas has been my home for a long time now (first day of release Mogo was born) and I want the others to feel welcome in their new home as well. If tweaking the tabard will help with that, I think we can do that. :)
Intolerant monkey.
swirly,Nov 6 2005, 09:02 AM Wrote:I was thinking along similiar lines when I PMed Alram about a change.  I included this link which is what I was thinking would improve it.  Mainly just tweaking the colors some to add contrast and give it (what I feel to be) a stronger more cohesive image while keeping the brown and gold feel which keeps it feeling "loungish".
[right][snapback]94238[/snapback][/right]

That was one of the debates when we did the initial design. White totem and white border, golden totem and golden border, or white and gold combos. There weren't any really good tabard viewers at the time and only the person talking to the tabard designer could see the tabard selections. I did spend a fair bit of time seeing what the tabard looked like on all the races and genders to help with the decision. Of course I could only do the design in Orgrimmar at the time (I think they have added vendors to UC and TB now) and if I broke the conversation with the vendor you didn't have the on character preview. Go take a look at the lighting in the Org tabard vendor too. :) I wish I could have gotten screenies like Swirly did.

I do not have a problem with changing the tabard but I really do like it. The gold gold would probably be better than the gold/white becuase it does give more punch to the tabard.

But again there are many lurkers who are active on Terenas now who were not active when the decision was made.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Treesh,Nov 6 2005, 11:23 AM Wrote:On Stormrage, the tabard isn't quite as unique, neither ours nor the Basiner's tabard.  And for the life of me, I can't remember what a CA tabard looks like.  I mainly notice those sightings because I move the mouse around and can read quickly when I flash hover an Avarice member.[right][snapback]94243[/snapback][/right]
Its actually the same color as the Lurker tabard with a gold trim and a stack of gold coins. ;) As far as the unique-ness of the tabard can I help it that everyone wants to emulate my awesome tabard of awesomeness? ;)
swirly,Nov 6 2005, 07:02 AM Wrote:I was thinking along similiar lines when I PMed Alram about a change.  I included this link which is what I was thinking would improve it.  Mainly just tweaking the colors some to add contrast and give it (what I feel to be) a stronger more cohesive image while keeping the brown and gold feel which keeps it feeling "loungish".
I'm one of the ones that is guilty of wearing the Scout taberd with Durambar. However, that fact has little to do with the design of the Lurkers guild tabard. The Scout tabard is one of the coolest tabards in the game, and I find it goes well with gear, even as my gear changes. All of my guilded alts (of which there are many) proudly wear the guild tabard, having purchased several tabards months ago. I think it would be a shame if we scrapped the original design, so on that note, I believe that Swirly's proposed change is an upgrade, while keeping true to the unique, original design. There aren't many like it on Terenas.

For easy guild tabard design, as well as testing with all races, I suggest using WoWModelView. Larger view, bright lighting. It accesses the game files and allows for viewing of most of the gear in the game, and version 0.4 added guild tabards and mounts. Nobbie posted about it some time ago, and I've been a fan since.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
bonemage,Nov 6 2005, 01:34 PM Wrote:I'm one of the ones that is guilty of wearing the Scout taberd with Durambar.  However, that fact has little to do with the design of the Lurkers guild tabard.  The Scout tabard is one of the coolest tabards in the game, and I find it goes well with gear, even as my gear changes.  All of my guilded alts (of which there are many) proudly wear the guild tabard, having purchased several tabards months ago.  I think it would be a shame if we scrapped the original design, so on that note, I believe that Swirly's proposed change is an upgrade, while keeping true to the unique, original design.  There aren't many like it on Terenas.

For easy guild tabard design, as well as testing with all races, I suggest using WoWModelView.  Larger view, bright lighting.  It accesses the game files and allows for viewing of most of the gear in the game, and version 0.4 added guild tabards and mounts.  Nobbie posted about it some time ago, and I've been a fan since.
[right][snapback]94254[/snapback][/right]

Yeah there are nice tools now, but back in December there were not. :)
---
I really like the darker brown with the gold trim that Swirly has in the screenies. I didn't like the baby poo color....I like the totem and the gold border tho. The darkere brown sets off the gold color and I like the trim being solid gold all the way around...Although I will prolly keep the scout tabard on Tam, I would have no problem with the rest of my charries wearing the tweaked tabard.

<span style="color:red"> Terenas<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:orange">
Tamainelka- ----62 O Hunter(Eng/Min)
Sharissea--------23 BE Hunter(Skin/Min)
Kaiyleri-----------17 BE Warlock(Tail/Ench)
Crysalisse--------05 BE Mage(Alch/Herb)
Paksarrian--------01 BE Paladin(LW/Smith)

<!--/sizec-->
Alram,Nov 6 2005, 05:22 AM Wrote:These are the basic choices:
Leave it alone?
Change the color?
Change the symbol?
42?

I don't mind -- I've never been sure why people like the Scout tabard so much anyway (never even purchased mine).

Whatever is decided, I'll continue to wear whatever tabard is the official Lurkers tabard.
Ok, here is my own personal take on the matter.
I like the color very much. It is different. It is a nice rich earth tone. It helps a rogue, my favorite class, to blend in. It is distinctive and in good taste. The colors have a nice understated quality. If we were going to change the color, then Treesh's suggestion about having the border match the color of the insignia makes the most sense.

I do not personally care for the insignia. It is a bit too "Tauren" for me, and Taurens do not dominate the guild. I would however be the most content to leave things like they are.
Alram,Nov 7 2005, 12:28 PM Wrote:Ok, here is my own personal take on the matter.
I&nbsp; like the color very much. It is different.&nbsp; It is a nice rich earth tone. It helps a rogue, my favorite class, to blend in. It is distinctive and in good taste.&nbsp; The colors have a nice understated quality. If we were going to change the color, then Treesh's suggestion about having the border match the color of the insignia makes the most sense.

I do not personally care for the insignia. It is a bit too "Tauren" for me, and Taurens do not dominate the guild. I would however&nbsp; be the most content to leave things like they are.
[right][snapback]94301[/snapback][/right]

The totem was choosen because it represents knowledge and because it looks somewhat like a face. So I found it pretty fitting for a symbol for a guild from the lurker lounge, a lurking face of knowledge. Just like the hooded face for Stormrage picks up the lurker aspect.

I can see the "Tauren" feel of it but that was not why it was choosen (though the guild was dominated by Tauren in the early days). Our guild is shaman heavy though and shaman are totem users too. :)
---
swirly,Nov 6 2005, 06:02 AM Wrote:I was thinking along similiar lines when I PMed Alram about a change.&nbsp; I included this link which is what I was thinking would improve it.&nbsp; Mainly just tweaking the colors some to add contrast and give it (what I feel to be) a stronger more cohesive image while keeping the brown and gold feel which keeps it feeling "loungish".
The problem I have with that tabard is it's black with some brown highlight. If we are going to follow the pack and make a typical colored tabard I would rather a dark green. Though it would clash like hell I like the color better. :mellow:

As Treesh said, I chose the brown because it is noticeable seems to clash with nothing. It ruins the point of a tabard when you don't wear it because it clashes with your gear. Black might not clash but it makes for a rather typical and boring guild tabard. Brown is used about as often as pink, but I don't think anyone will speak up for a pink tabard. Maybe it's just because I don't have kids that I don't see it as a "baby poo" brown and just simply as brown. :P
Sir_Die_alot,Nov 7 2005, 07:19 PM Wrote:Brown is used about as often as pink, but I don't think anyone will speak up for a pink tabard.
[right][snapback]94341[/snapback][/right]
Errrr...ummmm.....you don't know me do you? : p

I am constant saying how awesome pink is. I also posted on the lounge to get people to help me create my own guild on another server called Kitty Love. This guild has a pink tabard which is the most awesome tabard ever made! You can see it here on my troll shaman. I would LOVE to have a pink tabard for our lurker guild, but I'm afraid that the majority wouldn't agree. So yeah, to prove you wrong about nobody speaking up for a pink tabard....PINK TABARD PLEASE!

I really like the tabards as-is, actually. They seem nice, understated, and generally have matched everything I've worn so far [although I imagine that if I were to end up with the BRIGHT PURPLE plate leggings my Alliance warrior ditched her tabard for for a couple of levels I might speak differently ;)]. I do tend to like earth tones, and the gold is really nice. The face-ish-totem-thing seemed hordey to me. :)
Tank for hire.
I think I'm most closely aligned with Vor_Lord on this. I've never minded our guidl tabard. The scout tabard is nice, my druid has one, (only because at the time I thought the guild tabard was 10 gold, while the scout one was 1 gold.) but to me it's not nearly as unique. Anyone who has a gold coin, and has spent a day or two in WSG can get a scout tabard, but not everyone can be a lurker. ;) I'll wear whatever the guild tabard is. I am not concerned with what my gear looks like. I dont' set fashion trends in real life, and I'm even less inclined to worry about it in game too. :P If the stats on my gear are good, I don't care what it looks like. I like our tabard on Terenas fine, but if the majority want to darken the brown some and bring out the gold trim a bit more, that will be ok with me too. :D I'm easy to please.
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Swirly offered to pay me 800 gold to change the guild tabard! However, I graciously turned him down, used the money to buy a mount for him instead and changed the tabard myself.

Log on to see it.
I like the new guild tabard. I think it also 'rocks muchly'. :)
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
It does look better on undead, but I think it looks worse on Tauren, trolls and orcs. While it is more tied together, it doesn't pop as much for me, but it doesn't upset me any either. We all know I liked the old one. :) Not a problem for me to wear I'll just think of the old one from time to time. :)
---