Green Dragons
So far I've faced 3 of the new raid dragons. Ysondre proved to be the easiest by far, killed on the second pull. Emeriss and Lethon, on the other hand... ouch.

Ysondre? No problem. Pull him down, situate the raid like Onyxia with half on each side, staying away from the head and tail. With all the green dragons, you need to keep that breath away from the raid or you're going to hurt for it. It does nature damage over time and adds 10 seconds to the cooldowns of all abilities. At 75/50/25% he calls Demented Druids which start Moonfire-spamming the raid. They go down quickly, though, and before you know it you're back to slaying the dragon.

Taerar seems like it's not that tough a fight once you get people organized. He splits into multiple shades at 75/50/25% which have to be burned down quickly. He's phased out while they're around for about a minute and a half, after which he's attackable again (a la Ragnaros & his Sons). If you don't kill them in time, Emeriss is back regardless. If you kill them all off, it pops him immediately. Seems to be a question of organizing tanks and making sure everyone knows where to focus fire.

Lethon... *shudders* He constantly throws out shadowbolt volleys like Kazzak, so it's one case where high shadow resistance can make a big difference. But his special ability at 75/50/25% is what makes him rough. He calls shades forth from each and every player in the area. I'd estimate it as about a 50-yard range. All players are stunned as a shade version of them begins a walk towards Lethon. The stun lasts a few seconds, after which you MUST destroy all those shades. Every one of them that reaches Lethon heals him for 1% of his life. He can easily himself to full this way. I'm not sure if this is something that can be resisted.

Any insight into these last two, or the fourth dragon? I'd like to know how other Lurkers are tackling them.

(Edit: For some reason was typing Emeriss while thinking of Taerar. Thanks for pointing that out, guys)
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Nov 8 2005, 05:28 AM Wrote:Emeriss seems like it's not that tough a fight once you get people organized.  He splits into multiple shades at 75/50/25% which have to be burned down quickly.  He's phased out while they're around for about a minute and a half, after which he's attackable again (a la Ragnaros & his Sons).  If you don't kill them in time, Emeriss is back regardless.  If you kill them all off, it pops him immediately.  Seems to be a question of organizing tanks and making sure everyone knows where to focus fire.

Lethon... *shudders*  He constantly throws out shadowbolt volleys like Kazzak, so it's one case where high shadow resistance can make a big difference.  But his special ability at 75/50/25% is what makes him rough.  He calls shades forth from each and every player in the area.  I'd estimate it as about a 50-yard range.  All players are stunned as a shade version of them begins a walk towards Lethon.  The stun lasts a few seconds, after which you MUST destroy all those shades.  Every one of them that reaches Lethon heals him for 1% of his life.  He can easily himself to full this way.  I'm not sure if this is something that can be resisted.

Any insight into these last two, or the fourth dragon?  I'd like to know how other Lurkers are tackling them.
[right][snapback]94373[/snapback][/right]

General - All the dragons have some special ability that is used at the 75/50/25 marks. There are also roaming Sleep clouds that can immobilize groups of people, so these must be avoided.

Ysondre - /Yawn. Proper tanking and AoE for the Druids are all that's needed. As you said, the easiest of all the dragons.

Taerar - Minor nit, the dragon that splits into the 3 is not Emeriss, but Taerar. Try having a Hunter assigned to a tank. When the 3 shades come have the hunters pull to their tank, Mark one of the shades and focus fire on it. The key is to have the 3 shades locked down by a tank and to take them down one after the other. The main tank for Taerar should get back into position before the last shade is killed so he can grab him once he phases back in.

Lethon - Seems impossible to stop the shades however, if you get him back down to 75% he doesn't call the shades a second time. Seems like strictly and endurance battle to me where you have to kill him 3 1/2 times essentially while either resisting or healing through his AoE shadowbolts. Have only had the pleasure of trying this dragon once, so havent' gotten the chance to refine strat.

Emeriss - Requires smart healing tactics. At the 25 marks he casts a DoT, Corruption of Earth, that does 20% damage every second for 5 seconds. This DoT can be resisted, but the trick seems to be slowing/stopping DPS early and healing to full. Then after he hits the 25 mark a single heal will keep you alive. Of course if you get one of his other 2 DoTs, Voaltile Infection or Noxious Breath, then there can be problems. So an eye must be kept out to remove these. If someone dies a mushroom pops up at their corpse causing AoE damage. This mushroom lasts for probably around 30 seconds or so and can wipe an entire party of your raid in seconds. I believe they do around 1000 damage per tick. If a mushroom pops the whole raid group needs to shift away from it.

My Rank of Difficulty:
Ysondre
Taerar
Emeriss
Lethon

Last two can be switched and might once I see Lethon again.

Best looking dragon? Taerar by far!! You have to see him to appreciate it.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
Zarathustra,Nov 8 2005, 04:28 AM Wrote:Any insight into these last two, or the fourth dragon?  I'd like to know how other Lurkers are tackling them.
[right][snapback]94373[/snapback][/right]

You've more or less got the Taerar (not Emeriss) fight down. As long as you know that you're getting three shades at the 25%-marks, you can pre-position tanks to split them up. The shades emit poison clouds periodically, requiring the tanks and melee dps to move the shade to a different position. They also have a stacking frontal AoE conical DoT that can be nasty if it's allowed to pile up on the raid. Ideally, you want all the shades separated and pointed in different directions away from the raid.

Emeriss is tough, but doable. His trick, as Arethor outlined, is not actually that hard, in theory. It's tough on your healers. If you can keep everyone from dying, and if everyone employs smart tactics to keep themselves alive, the fight is probably simpler than Taerar.

Lethon is a bitch and a half. The thing to remember about him is that his attack is a shadowbolt whirl, not a shadowbolt volley. Unlike Kazzak, he doesn't hit everyone around him with each shot - he "whirls" the volleys around him in a counterclockwise circle. If you turn him so that the whirl is pointed in a direction where there are few raid members, you can drastically reduce the damage done to your raid. As for the healing, even the best guilds' solution seems to just be to nail as many shades as you can, let him heal, and kill him several times over until he actually dies.
Ah forgot it was a whirl. Thanks for mentioning that Skan :)
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
As a followup, what would you consider to be the resistance goals for these?

Seems Lethon is the only one of the four where a hefty dose of shadow resistance would be helpful. Taerar and Emeriss seem to be the nature resistance situations, but I really don't see any need for a gear swap for Ysondre.
See you in Town,
-Z