1.9 Update on official site
Among other things...

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian,Nov 14 2005, 02:20 PM Wrote:Among other things...

[right][snapback]94785[/snapback][/right]
Auction house linking and multiple BG queues, yay! Now we just need one of those (what was that beer commercial) moments to get...

Multiple server linked BGs! :)
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
I've long predicted that linked AHs won't materially reduce IF lag, and only introduce lag into SWC (which is pretty bad already) and Darnassus. I guess I'll get to see if I'm right.
Skandranon,Nov 14 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:I've long predicted that linked AHs won't materially reduce IF lag, and only introduce lag into SWC (which is pretty bad already) and Darnassus.  I guess I'll get to see if I'm right.
[right][snapback]94788[/snapback][/right]

but the two things: Linked AH and linked LFG *might* mean that Darnassus and SWC will no longer be ghost towns all the time, and same for TB/UC.

One can hope. And, with neutral AH's in 3 cities, they *might* get more use.....I guess we'll see. We can guess, but, no way to tell till it's there.

--Mav
Concillian,Nov 14 2005, 02:20 PM Wrote:Among other things...

Funny, they said that linked AH's would never happen because of the techinical difficulties...wonder how long it will be before Hero classes show up.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Nov 14 2005, 10:08 PM Wrote:Funny, they said that linked AH's would never happen because of the techinical difficulties...wonder how long it will be before Hero classes show up.
[right][snapback]94820[/snapback][/right]

I'm pretty sure they said it wouldn't be for "a long time" due to the server code.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Concillian,Nov 14 2005, 05:20 PM Wrote:Among other things...

With regard to Ahn'Qiraj world event, last I checked it was still possible just to walk around the gate (with a little effort).
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Yay, now I won't be alone with the level 10-20 Undead in UC anymore when I hearth :D UC is closer to Kargath than Orgrimmar for those people that don't set their hearth in Kargath. Maybe they'll fix the lameness that is UC's antimount policy.

As to the Paladin changes, I must admit, even as a Shadow Priest I'm a bit scared :shuriken:
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
ima_nerd,Nov 15 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:As to the Paladin changes, I must admit, even as a Shadow Priest I'm a bit scared  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]94836[/snapback][/right]

My predictions related to the paladin changes is that paladins will just become more efficient in doing what they do now. No sweeping character changes and no major damage additions in the form of strikes etc. possibly a couple of additional skills added through high tier talants that act as additional damage/heals/etc. but that the revision of the talant trees will require actual sacrifice to obtain these talants.

A lot of paladins (and other players too) predict the addition of a controllable mana to damage spell or strike but i don't reasonably see that happening (and if it does all those people hollaring that paladins will be uberpimptastic in the patch will be rightly complaining.) So far the general concensus on a "reasonable" strike attack would be a 400 mana ~400 damage melee attack on a 6 sec timer. The supposed trade of for this skill would be the need to use melee gear to get the most benifit and thus have a smaller mana pool as well as the high mana cost thus trading healing for damage. In practice, however, this wouldn't work. What you would see is paladins switching from using SoC all the time to using Seal/Judgement of Wisdom all the time. Thus trading the random damage of SoC for consistant every 6 second damage of the strike while maintaining full mana through the use of Seal/Judgement of wisdom. As it is now I have a choice between using my big 2 hander and SoC to do damage, or I can use Hanzo sword + shield to always have full mana and lower damage. If the strike is added i get the best of both worlds, full mana and added dps.
Chesspiece_face,Nov 15 2005, 12:46 AM Wrote:As it is now I have a choice between using my big 2 hander and SoC to do damage, or I can use Hanzo sword + shield to always have full mana and lower damage.  If the strike is added i get the best of both worlds, full mana and added dps.
[right][snapback]94837[/snapback][/right]

I don't know. I judge wisdom with my big too hander and use SoC all the time. When command procs I get a chance to get mana back from the command proc as well. Regardless the procs of judged wisdom almost always pay for the seal, the judgement and the command seal again if they don't get me more mana than I started with. Since judgement is 11% of base mana (not total mana, mana from items isn't used in base calcs) it only takes about 5 - 6 procs of judged wisdom to get all the mana back from putting it up, judging it and firing rank one command (it would be nice if there were a point in the higher ranks of command). Since I'm looking at about 6 to 12 swings per mob that is 1 to 3 procs of command per fight (depending on mob) so you get 7 to 15 chances for judged wisdom to proc and judged seals proc pretty frequently. If I'm lower on mana for whatever reason I'll blessing of wisdom myself and since it is improved get my 36 per tick of that back. Having that up pretty much means I can run SoC all the time after judging wisdom even if I'm killing faster. Sure I lose the DPS that improved might gives me but I can sustain longer.

I will of course hunker down and put the one hander on judge wisdom, run the wisdom seal and have blessing of wisdom go and be mana positive doing piddly damage. Sometimes I run command with the one hander and wisdom judged to help up the damge some while keeping that higher mitigation and get more chances at mana returned since righteousness doesn't seem to proc a judged wisdom.

Again this is PvE. PvP I'm not sure it would be worth judging anything at all right now with the way things stand but my pally hasn't done a heck of a lot of PvP.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Multiple queues won't do anything as long as you can't stay in one queue while playing in a different BG.

And about the linked AHs, Ironforge will still be the same due to it being the nearest to Blackrock Mountain/Strat/Scholo for the lvl 60s, but it will be easier for low level chars to offer their wares.
Fin,Nov 15 2005, 04:57 AM Wrote:Multiple queues won't do anything as long as you can't stay in one queue while playing in a different BG.
[right][snapback]94858[/snapback][/right]

The question was asked and Tyren confirmed that you stay in queue for the other two once you accept one.
Skandranon,Nov 15 2005, 03:19 PM Wrote:The question was asked and Tyren confirmed that you stay in queue for the other two once you accept one.
[right][snapback]94880[/snapback][/right]
that's good news :)
Skandranon,Nov 15 2005, 11:19 AM Wrote:The question was asked and Tyren confirmed that you stay in queue for the other two once you accept one.
[right][snapback]94880[/snapback][/right]

I can't wait to see a mass of people jolting out of one BG to join another, leaving some poor teams helpless :w00t:
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,Nov 15 2005, 11:23 AM Wrote:I can't wait to see a mass of people jolting out of one BG to join another, leaving some poor teams helpless  :w00t:
[right][snapback]94917[/snapback][/right]

Tyren also said that you will not get an invite to another BG while in a BG, but will remain in the queue, so you won't be seeing people leave a BG unless they heard that the BG they want in just came up and /afk out.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:So far the general concensus on a "reasonable" strike attack would be a 400 mana ~400 damage melee attack on a 6 sec timer.

Hmm, what does that sound like? Let me think ... oh, that's right, a Shaman shock! I don't know or claim to know much about Paladins but couldn't you unload enough damage with something like that quick enough to pretty much slaughter one target? Like, say, kick my ass in WSG/AB to leave my team heal-less while their Rogues rip apart other squishies?
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Mavfin,Nov 14 2005, 07:12 PM Wrote:but the two things: Linked AH and linked LFG *might* mean that Darnassus and SWC will no longer be ghost towns all the time, and same for TB/UC.

One can hope.  And, with neutral AH's in 3 cities, they *might* get more use.....I guess we'll see.  We can guess, but, no way to tell till it's there.
[right][snapback]94816[/snapback][/right]

Not only will they take care of the ghost city syndrome, they should clear up a small bit of imbalance among the races.

Right now, it's not easy to visit an Auction House as a Night Elf or Tauren starting up. Granted, with some friends to give you a port or what not, this is no problem. But I remember firing up the game in December and eventually (in the high teens) seeing someone in Darkshore saying they were gathering a party to head to Ironforge. The overwhelming response? "Where's that?"

Players brand new to the game playing one of those two races don't have the easy run to a tram/zeppellin to visit the auction house. This remedies that problem.
See you in Town,
-Z
ima_nerd,Nov 15 2005, 01:55 PM Wrote:Hmm, what does that sound like? Let me think ... oh, that's right, a Shaman shock! I don't know or claim to know much about Paladins but couldn't you unload enough damage with something like that quick enough to pretty much slaughter one target? Like, say, kick my ass in WSG/AB to leave my team heal-less while their Rogues rip apart other squishies?
[right][snapback]94923[/snapback][/right]

First let me say that the layout of this hypothetical skill is taken from what i've seen to be concensus across many different boards as being a "reasonable" addition to the class. In the particular situation you describe the 6 second refresh would really be the deciding factor on whether you could down someone that quick. Also of note would be mitigating factors that effect all melee attacks like armor etc.

As far as i'm concerned the thing that breaks any attack like this isn't necissarily the damage addition. it's the fact that the supposed trade off is illusory when put into practice.

Take the example i put above about my particular paladin using a hanzo sword + shield with Seal of Wisdom. With a 400ish mana strike on a 6 second timer I will be able to gain back essentially all of that mana by the time the strike becomes usable again. In essence by adding an attack skill like this they will be giving me a boost of 66 dps with no draw back. Moreso I'll be able to do as much, or more, dps than a present SoC+2hander while maintaining the benifit of using a one hander and shield.
Zarathustra,Nov 15 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:Not only will they take care of the ghost city syndrome, they should clear up a small bit of imbalance among the races.

Right now, it's not easy to visit an Auction House as a Night Elf or Tauren starting up.  Granted, with some friends to give you a port or what not, this is no problem.  But I remember firing up the game in December and eventually (in the high teens) seeing someone in Darkshore saying they were gathering a party to head to Ironforge.  The overwhelming response?  "Where's that?"
Actually, by your logic, this change should increase imbalance for Alliance - as currently Night Elf is the most popular race (on average across all servers - data from http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php ) :)

However, I don't think that auction access plays significant role in race selection anyway. For most low level toons who head to IF/SW from the Teldrassil, the major reason not AH (they don't have much money or things to sell anyway), but their friends who choosed different race, or - more often - weapon trainer. Or, as it was a case for my hunter, some particular pet to tame ;).

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I realized that by "imbalance" your actually meant different things from what I thought, sorry. However, I decided to keep my post, as the main point remains the same - I don't think AH plays big role on early levels of new character (at least, it didn't for me).

On the other hand, I would probably miss the quiet atmosphere of the current Teldrassil. As a matter of fact, when I even went to quest in Teldrassil with my baby Dwarf warrior (as soon as he hit level 5) - just to quest a bit away from crowds :D.

-Epi.
Quote:As far as i'm concerned the thing that breaks any attack like this isn't necissarily the damage addition. it's the fact that the supposed trade off is illusory when put into practice.

Something they could do is make it based off the DPS of your weapon. This wouldn't further the problem of slower weapons being ridiculously better than faster weapons and encourage people to use the big 2her.

Or did I miss the point of the Hanzo+Shield thing? I think I did :D