So... Has anyone actually used Hand if Edward?
As many pallies/shamans here, I've dreamt about Hand of Edward the Odd for quite some time now.
Saving money here and there, it's more and more realistic now to buy it (prices are ~1500g when it's on AH)
Now, friends start to say that it's not worth it with weapons of Quel'Serrar level in game right now.
My love with HoEtO is still there and sizzling, but I'd like to have some 1st hand (one-hand? :P ) comments about:

1. Does it really help in PvP?
2. How many procs per minute?
3. Is it true that insta spells eat the proc buff?
4. Your choice of enchant on it?

Most valuable would be comments from pallies, as this is what I am in between work and sleep.

I used it on my (gasp!) Druid, and currently have it in the bank. It was a random drop for me while a hunter and I were up at the Grim Batol downing dragons for their scales. It was a tough decision for me as to whether I should use it myself or hand it off to a Paladin friend (and then, which Paladin I should even tell about it), but I ended up using it myself for a couple months before upgrading to a SoD.

On to your questions...

1. I would assume that for a Shaman or Paladin, it would definitely be a boon in PvP. The proc makes for an instant spell, which would most likely be used for a big heal. Then just go about your business swinging away.

2. I've seen it go a while without going off, and have seen it proc three times in a rather short span. While grinding enemies in the Eastern Plaguelands, it was going off a couple times per enemy.

3. Yes, it is true that instant-cast spells will eat the proc buff. In addition, any non-instant spells can not be cast while moving, if you have the buff. You have to stop moving, and then you can perform the instant cast. In addition, it's a VERY short-lived buff. This can be a double-edged sword in that in times it prompts you to cast a spell just to make use of the buff, when you really don't need to. A little discipline overcomes that, but it was quite tempting for me to lay down an instant heal or Starfire whenever I could.

4. On a Paladin.... hm.... probably Crusader. If you're a bit removed from the hybrid roll and playing the healer, a +22 int can go a long way. A straight +dam enchantment could help too, though, since it has a wickedly fast speed at 1.6 seconds per swing.

As I said, I'm not a Pally, but those instant casts were very useful in the time I've used my Edward. I kind of regret equipping it in hindsight, since I could have passed it off to a Paladin, but I had no idea at that point I'd be running the Molten Core in one night relatively shortly after and equipping a Staff of Dominance. But just in case I get some insane offhand item down the road, it'll be ready for me.

See you in Town,
-Z
Hello! I use this as well. Dropped off a trash mob in MC, of all places.

1. Yes and no. Yes, when it procs. But there's three big issues. First, being the nature of a proc it's completely random in occurance so you cannot rely on it for any strategy. Second, it requires you to melee to get the proc... if you're a shaman or druid you're not always going to be wanting to pound on someone. Third, it requires mana to use. Once that proc activates, it still will cost you mana to fire off whatever spell you wish to instacast.
2. It's very low. Less than Crusader enchant. The random factor is huge, it can go off 4 times in a fight or not happen once for multiple fights.
3. Yes, unfortunately. It doesn't distinguish between spells, like Natre's Swiftness and Presence of Mind do. I all too frequently accidentally burn up my proc when it occurs right before I use an instant cast spell.
4. Yes.

My opinion after months of using it is that it is a pretty nice weapon, but nothing to break your wallet over. There's a few hybrid class 1h weapons out there that are a good deal better, like the Aurastone Hammer from MC. I'm no paladin either, though I'd have to agree with your friends that there are better options out there... unless you have a chance to get HoEtO for cheap :).
I'm resurrecting this thread because of a nice thing that happened to the Edward in the last patch:
The proc now has a huge sparkling animation that is impossible to miss.

Me happy:)

(I don't use SCT)
Quote:(I don't use SCT)

You're insane.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.