Playing hellfire multiplayer
Does anyone know of a way for me and my brother to play multiplayer HF or HF The Dark? Me and my brother are living in the same house and are connected to the internet through a router.
I know there is kali but I don't really want to pay the $40 bucks for us to play.
We have tried hellfire:fixed but no multiplayer options work.
Honestly I have no idea how to help you out, I am still debating wheather or not I should even get hellfire, and after hearing that direct connect might not even be possible for hellfire I'm losing even more interest... plus theirs the possibility my diablo 1 characters won't transfer to hellfire, but I digress.
ridgerunner65,Dec 29 2005, 02:55 PM Wrote:Does anyone know of a way for me and my brother to play multiplayer HF or HF The Dark? Me and my brother are living in the same house and are connected to the internet through a router.
I know there is kali but I don't really want to pay the $40 bucks for us to play.
We have tried hellfire:fixed but no multiplayer options work.

The IPX option requires a network (e.g. Kali) but I think a LAN should also work. Someone more knowledgable about networking could tell you more.

Some time ago someone suggested Gamer's Internet Tunnel (http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/) but I'm not aware if anyone ever gave it a try.

-Lemmy
Well, considering that Diablo and its affliates (but not sequels) constitute the best game ever made, if you are willing to spend $40 dollars on any new game out there, then why not on Diablo *shrug*. But, of course it shouldn't be necessary to use kali. I am not sure about the TOS, but I bet that even if you wanted Kali (I've recently invested simply to avoid jumping through hoops to get the free license), which is worth it, you could buy one license. You get a lifetime membership for $20, I am thinking they aren't too worried about it.

You will need to make sure you have your "network" configured properly. The first step is to make you you have IPX installed. IPX is a network protocol that is generally out of date, so it may not be installed by default. To install it, view your "Local Area Connection Status" box available through the control panel -> network settings. Choose properties and you will see a list of items with checkboxes. If you do not see "...IPX...", install it by choosing "Install...". In the new window, choose Protocol (other choices are Client and Service) and select IPX. Finish that up and now you will be ready to run Lan games through the game menu.

Also make sure that the two computers can see each other. You may look up some stuff from your ISP. Usually they have instructions about how to configure different types of networks for internet - you'll want to find one that talks about connecting multiple computers together, or whatever. Your router will also need to be configured correctly, so good luck on that! Generally, if you can share "Files and Printers" and see other computers or domains in network neighborhood, there should be no problems. Host an IPX game and the other computer should see the characters' name as the game name, and you'll be set.

@Taishi:

I would recommend Hellfire for nothing more than the fact that it's related to Diablo. I don't play it nearly as much as diablo, but it adds some fun things like three new character classes and some interesting affixes. Barbs can use two weapons at once (and their effects combine), the barbian just does ridiculous amounts of damage, and the monk can block with more than just a shield. You also get access to some more mods, including The Dark, which is virtually a whole new game in itself! Yes, there is plenty to keep you busy for a long, long time.

Diablo 1 characters won't transfer to Hellfire, but you can't play HF over b.net either. I just dont' play any of the original diablo characters in hellfire. It can be a kick in the shin if you find a great bow or shield but can't give it to your diablo characters, though.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Taishi88,Dec 29 2005, 03:10 PM Wrote:plus theirs the possibility my diablo 1 characters won't transfer to hellfire, but I digress.

That's not so much a "possibility" as it is a "certainty." Multiplayer characters certainly won't transfer. If there was a D1 version where you could port chars between D1 and HF (by renaming files and placing them in the appropriate directories), items would still all turn to rubbish.

-Lemmy
Thanks alot langolier. Your advice helped and we can now play hellfire:the dark together. :)
the Langolier,Dec 29 2005, 06:46 PM Wrote:@Taishi:

I would recommend Hellfire for nothing more than the fact that it's related to Diablo.  I don't play it nearly as much as diablo, but it adds some fun things like three new character classes and some interesting affixes.  Barbs can use two weapons at once (and their effects combine), the barbian just does ridiculous amounts of damage, and the monk can block with more than just a shield.  You also get access to some more mods, including The Dark, which is virtually a whole new game in itself!  Yes, there is plenty to keep you busy for a long, long time.

Diablo 1 characters won't transfer to Hellfire, but you can't play HF over b.net either.   I just dont' play any of the original diablo characters in hellfire.  It can be a kick in the shin if you find a great bow or shield but can't give it to your diablo characters, though.
[right][snapback]98285[/snapback][/right]
I know enough about hellfire but I'm guessing I will buy (probably around $20-30)
hellfire just for the heck of it. I was also wondering about the Diablo mod for neverwinter nights... is that any good? And how does the game run with the mod? I'v never played DnD (yeah I know I suck) and I've never played neverwinter nights either... I was wondering if the Diablo mod alone is worth buying NWN. Also in hellfire does multi player over Kali of course work like battle.net... as well as is it the same as diablo and sp's can't go mp's character's?