How to beat me in PvP
Drasca,Jan 17 2006, 01:53 AM Wrote:Edit: PS, if you mention ToEP, and we're talking about a priest, IIRC, ToEP gives a buff that can be dispelled off you. That too, doesn't fly.
[right][snapback]99484[/snapback][/right]

You can't dispel trinkets. And with top gear, you can have 5k life and 500 spell damage. And with trinkets up, you have about 1k +spell damage, with 10% bonus from SM, and 10% bonus from CoS, you will hit 1.5k damage. I don't think you have actually met geared-out warlocks. If they get a crit, they can win in 2 shots.

As Mongo said, the problem currently is that DPS increased by huge amounts, while the defense and life is almost the same. So you get to a point where people can 2-shot and even 1-shot others, and some classes benefit from it more then others.
lemekim,Jan 17 2006, 01:55 AM Wrote:with top gear, you can have 5k life and 500 spell

If they get a crit, they can win in 2 shots.
others.
[right][snapback]99498[/snapback][/right]

I'm begining to think you've never PvP'ed, and I question if you have any of the epics mentioned below.

Several times have item set stat calculations been done on the warlock fora for ideal gear in stamina, spell damage, and various other set conditions. You cannot have over 500 spell damage and high health. Felheart and Nemesis sets end up around 200ish spell damage alone, uppable to 300+ range via other items, and with the warlock at around 255 stam. These are balanced sets, providing a little of everything. Even General/Field Marshal's/Warlord do not provide 500-600 range spell damage, providing much more needed stam than damage. At the 300-400 range, you can have fairly high both, but over 500, you're absolutely sacrificing health for damage. Additionally, if you're going SM/Ruin, you're losing the demonic embrace's health bonus.

If you're being buffed by other people for health, that isn't 1v1. You also cannot 2 shot people with the new resistence rules preventing players from going negative. The kind of big crits that result in 7-10k damage over two hits don't happen anymore.

Since you've thrice demonstrated little knowledge of pvp battle situations and warlock item lore, I'm done arguing with you here.

Edit: For real warlocks out there, here's one link to the equipment database I'm speaking of. Anyone with a calculator will quickly see the warlock's stamina will pitifully pale when attempting to achieve 500-600 spell damage, even with enchants.

http://www2.streamload.com/Nodes/Node.asp?...deID=1766792449
Priests dont usually intimidate me PvP, and I don't usually throw tremor for PvP.

Earthshock and grounding are usually enough to see me through, with a frostshock if it looks like he is gonna run more then kite.

MS warriors and rogues that stunlock are my bane.
Drasca,Jan 17 2006, 08:33 PM Wrote:I'm begining to think you've never PvP'ed, and I question if you have any of the epics mentioned below.

Several times have item set stat calculations been done on the warlock fora for ideal gear in stamina, spell damage, and various other set conditions. You cannot have over 500 spell damage and high health. Felheart and Nemesis sets end up around 200ish spell damage alone, uppable to 300+ range via other items, and with the warlock at around 255 stam. These are balanced sets, providing a little of everything. Even General/Field Marshal's/Warlord do not provide 500-600 range spell damage, providing much more needed stam than damage. At the 300-400 range, you can have fairly high both, but over 500, you're absolutely sacrificing health for damage.  Additionally, if you're going SM/Ruin, you're losing the demonic  embrace's health bonus.

If you're being buffed by other people for health, that isn't 1v1. You  also cannot 2 shot people with the new resistence rules preventing players from going negative. The kind of big crits that result in 7-10k damage over two hits don't happen anymore.

Since you've thrice demonstrated little knowledge of pvp battle situations and warlock item lore, I'm done arguing with you here.
Edit: For real warlocks out there, here's one link to the equipment database I'm speaking of. Anyone with a calculator will quickly see the warlock's stamina will pitifully pale when attempting to achieve 500-600 spell damage, even with enchants.

http://www2.streamload.com/Nodes/Node.asp?...deID=1766792449
[right][snapback]99534[/snapback][/right]

Yes, you are correct - any warlock trying to get over 500 spell damage will have to sacrifice too much life for it to be worthwhile. But as I said in my post, at around 400-500 spell damage, you can have about 5k life. While your spreadsheet is quite nice, it does not account for enchants (but you already knew that) or set bonuses (which can be very significant). Consider this setup:

Field Marshal's Coronal
Choker of the Fire Lord
Field Marshal's Dreadweave Shoulders
Cloak of the Brood Lord
Zandalar Demoniac's Robe
Nemesis Bracers
Ebony Flame Gloves
Nemesis Belt
Fel Infused Leggings
Nemesis Boots
Band of Dark Dominion
Band of Forced Concentration
Grand Marshal's Stave
Dragon's Touch

426 spell damage, bonus 2680 life without enchants or set bonuses, but it becomes 515 spell damage (30 spell damage on weapon, 2x Zul'Gurub enchants, 23 dmg Nemesis bonus) and bonus 3220 life (200 from ZulGurub Enchants, 150 from PvP set bonus, 190 from chest/bracer) with them, which should put you over 5k life.
lemekim,Jan 18 2006, 11:55 AM Wrote:Yes, you are correct - any warlock trying to get over 500 spell damage will have to sacrifice too much life for it to be worthwhile. But as I said in my post, at around 400-500 spell damage, you can have about 5k life. While your spreadsheet is quite nice, it does not account for enchants (but you already knew that) or set bonuses (which can be very significant). Consider this setup:

Field Marshal's Coronal
Choker of the Fire Lord
Field Marshal's Dreadweave Shoulders
Cloak of the Brood Lord
Zandalar Demoniac's Robe
Nemesis Bracers
Ebony Flame Gloves
Nemesis Belt
Fel Infused Leggings
Nemesis Boots
Band of Dark Dominion
Band of Forced Concentration
Grand Marshal's Stave
Dragon's Touch

426 spell damage, bonus 2680 life without enchants or set bonuses, but it becomes 515 spell damage (30 spell damage on weapon, 2x Zul'Gurub enchants, 23 dmg Nemesis bonus) and bonus 3220 life (200 from ZulGurub Enchants, 150 from PvP set bonus, 190 from chest/bracer) with them, which should put you over 5k life.
[right][snapback]99588[/snapback][/right]

Do you realize how long it would take to acquire the BWL gear, Z'G quests, and reach Field Marshal?

On SR alone, it takes months to achieve Field Marshal. Reaching rank 8 only takes a month and a half or two, reaching rank 11 tanks another month and a half and then it takes about 3 weeks to a month to go from rank 11 to rank 12 and about the same from rank 12 to rank 13. That's close to 6 months just to get Field Marshal/Warlord of constant BGs taking around 8 hours a day. While doing that trek, you do nothing else really (Merana that just reach Grand Marshal this week has only raided with Avarice a handful of times during that trek and has never set foot AFAIK in BWL). What you're advocating is probably a year to get all this gear. The game has only been in retail 14 months.

So, what you're saying is extrememly difficult to nigh impossible at this point.

Theory is fine and all, but it doesn't work in practice.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Jan 18 2006, 08:20 PM Wrote:Do you realize how long it would take to acquire the BWL gear, Z'G quests, and reach Field Marshal?

On SR alone, it takes months to achieve Field Marshal.  Reaching rank 8 only takes a month and a half or two, reaching rank 11 tanks another month and a half and then it takes about 3 weeks to a month to go from rank 11 to rank 12 and about the same from rank 12 to rank 13.  That's close to 6 months just to get Field Marshal/Warlord of constant BGs taking around 8 hours a day.  While doing that trek, you do nothing else really (Merana that just reach Grand Marshal this week has only raided with Avarice a handful of times during that trek and has never set foot AFAIK in BWL).  What you're advocating is probably a year to get all this gear.  The game has only been in retail 14 months.

So, what you're saying is extrememly difficult to nigh impossible at this point.

Theory is fine and all, but it doesn't work in practice.
[right][snapback]99594[/snapback][/right]

I am not advocating anything - the original poster stated that it was absolutely impossible to achieve 500+ spell damage and 5k life, and I showed that it is possible. Very tempting theorycraft, but theorycraft nonetheless.

However, my original point was that, even not with the perfect gear, you can get 400-500 spell damage with respectable amount of life. More and more people acquire such gear, be it in Blackwing lair, PvP, or the upcoming AQ dungeons. Damage progression outpaces +life or +healing by quite a bit, so some people take advantage of that, and create builds that can do enough frontloaded damage to kill people in matter of seconds.