Possible Upcoming Big Announcement from Blizzard
pakman,Jan 23 2006, 07:52 AM Wrote:Since they're running one month early, as I also get PC Gamer, I am going to speculate on the announcement being a review of how awesome Oblivion is because that comes out at the end of March.
[right][snapback]99911[/snapback][/right]

Mmmm oblivion...

but, I don't think that a world exclusive announcement would be "zOMG Obl1vion iz teh rockz0rs!"
:P
[Image: blackdog786.png]
I hope it's Starcraft II

Storyline: The Xel'Naga return and are extremely pissed of by what the Protoss and the other races have gotten up to, so they unleash their newest creations upon them and mayhem ensues.

Welcome back Kerrigan :wub:
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Ooo, good idea Assur. I like it :)

Ammonium and NiteFox: That does make sense. There definitely is a total lack of any quality action RPGs out there. I was hoping GW would fill the void but ... let's not go there <_< Now that I think about it, I would be much more excited about Diablo III than Starcraft II. From a business perspective, I think Diablo III would be the better choice. I bet it would blow GW off the map, especially if they put in some type of arena for team PvP beyond outside the Rogue Camp.

*eagerly awaits the plot twist that reincarnates Diablo yet again*
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I still think Starcraft 2 would make Vivendi more money. Starcraft (and Brood War, as well) are internationally-recognized games, lauded for the absolutely perfect balance between the three races (despite what people whine about), and are official games in a variety of professional gaming competitions, including the CGL, which is more or less the gaming equivalent of the Olympics.

Starcraft 2 would sell more copies than Diablo III could ever hope to move, especially if they designed it with an engine similar to Relic's Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (fully 3D camera, usage of cover and negative cover, and highly detailed models and animations.)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
FPSes are outlawed in your home, simply because they're played from a first-person perspective?

Even (relatively) non-violent titles, like Morrowind and the Descent series?

What about flight simulators and space-combat simulators? Those are also played in the first-person perspective :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Well, WC3 is definitely overtaking SC in tournaments and such. However, I don't see why Blizzard would release a third RTS when it already has a complete and utter stranglehold on the market already. The market for a D3 is wide open. Only time will tell :)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Ammonium,Jan 23 2006, 03:04 PM Wrote:&nbsp; First, WoW is still fairly new and has an expansion pack on the horizon with a year or two still left in it's life,
[right][snapback]99955[/snapback][/right]

If Blizzard can keep up with the uberguilders, and keeps ahead of the competition in quality content, they've got another EverQuest with a solid 6 year lifecycle on their hands. Even assuming EQ's rate of decline- 8 years from launch WoW may still field more subscriptions than EQ ever did.

Lo, the future: where gamers measure replayability in decades.

Vanguard and the other rising MMO's face the most powerful online juggernaut ever.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Occhi lies.

If you dont know how to spell the name to start with you, you wont be looking in the right place when you try to fiind it.

This is common sense to a normal person. Its above and beyond our new board troll.

With all seriousness why dont you leave me alone? You actually mocked me for misspelling a propername that is an English version of a Japanses word.

Ghostiger,Jan 24 2006, 01:43 AM Wrote:...Japanses word.
[right][snapback]99985[/snapback][/right]

Much luv, Ghostiger.
Rinnhart,Jan 24 2006, 04:44 AM Wrote:Much luv, Ghostiger.
[right][snapback]99986[/snapback][/right]

Hey I dont deny I make plenty of mistakes, but Occhi is just looking for anyway he can find to insult me(not just correct me) and in the "DaiKatana" example he was just being absurd in hes reasoning that I should have known better.
Ghostiger,Jan 24 2006, 03:43 AM Wrote:Occhi lies.

If you dont know how to spell the name to start with you, you wont be looking in the right place when you try to fiind it.

This is common sense to a normal person. Its above and beyond our new board troll.
With all seriousness why dont you leave me alone? You actually mocked me for misspelling a propername that is an English version of a Japanses word.
[right][snapback]99985[/snapback][/right]
Look up the name of the game. Daikatana.

Why are you in such denial? You are wrong, again. I point out that you are wrong, I give you evidence, and you accuse me of lying? I see, the "old cover the ears, Lalalalala I'm not listening act" of a 5 year old.

If you want me off your back, you are doing everything you can to prevent that condition.

Amazing.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Umm as I noted when I tried to look it up, I spelled it wrong so I found the wrong thing(in this case I found someone elses mistake.)

Pretending to be obtuse in the is case is the same as lying.
Ghostiger,Jan 24 2006, 09:40 AM Wrote:Umm as I noted when I tried to look it up, I spelled it wrong so I found the wrong thing(in this case I found someone elses mistake.)
Pretending to be obtuse in the is case is the same as lying.
[right][snapback]99998[/snapback][/right]
I was very direct and to the point. Italics describes your actions perfectly.

Confession is good for the soul.

Go forth, and sin no more.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
</lurk>

When did petty insults based upon spelling nits become acceptable practice on the Lounge?

Meh. Back to the shadows.

<lurk>
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra speaks the truth.

Quote:If Blizzard can keep up with the uberguilders, and keeps ahead of the competition in quality content, they've got another EverQuest with a solid 6 year lifecycle on their hands. Even assuming EQ's rate of decline- 8 years from launch WoW may still field more subscriptions than EQ ever did.

That's true. The main complaint people had about WoW was that it was too easy to cap. However, once you're capped and raiding, it doesn't matter what game it is. WoW actually makes it easier to have a larger raiding population due to the amount of instancing as compared to EQ1. Vanguard won't pull people from WoW. Why leave a great raiding scene to spend 1+ years capping? Oh well. WoW is here to stay.
ima_nerd,Jan 23 2006, 11:51 PM Wrote:...I don't see why Blizzard would release a third RTS when it already has a complete and utter stranglehold on the market already.
[right][snapback]99979[/snapback][/right]

Not quite ;) WC3 is about 4 years old, SC is 8 years old, and with newer very good RTSes like Age of Empires III, Warhammer 40k, and Empire Earth 2 blizzard doesn't exactly have a "stranglehold."
Zarathustra,Jan 24 2006, 12:02 PM Wrote:</lurk>

When did petty insults based upon spelling nits become acceptable practice on the Lounge?

Meh.&nbsp; Back to the shadows.

<lurk>
[right][snapback]100016[/snapback][/right]

No joke. Especially from a "Site Admin."

(Although this account is only a few days old I hung out here all the time in the d2 glory days)
Ammonium,Jan 24 2006, 07:28 PM Wrote:No joke.&nbsp; Especially from a "Site Admin."

(Although this account is only a few days old I hung out here all the time in the d2 glory days)
[right][snapback]100059[/snapback][/right]

Hey, in your sig, the download music = communism, I can't help but notice that there is an iMac being displayed.

I wonder if this was intentional, as most Mac users I know have this whole "free thinking free software free open source free free free" mentality going on.

Er, sorry about the threadjack, but your sig got me thinking.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
ima_nerd,Jan 24 2006, 10:56 AM Wrote:That's true. The main complaint people had about WoW was that it was too easy to cap.
However, once you're capped and raiding, it doesn't matter what game it is.

There's no real reason to be as fast a leveling game as WoW is. They've got tons of underused content because people essentially could visit a place one time and never come back. Then, we hit the endgame and get to run the same instances for another year. Slow down the leveling game. It doesn't have to be EQ slow, but slower than it is.

Quote:WoW actually makes it easier to have a larger raiding population due to the amount of instancing as compared to EQ1.

EQ1 had several thousand more people per server than WoW does.

Quote:Vanguard won't pull people from WoW. Why leave a great raiding scene to spend 1+ years capping? Oh well. WoW is here to stay.
[right][snapback]100026[/snapback][/right]

You're underestimating the lure of a new game, especially when there's alot of people disatisfied with the treatment endgame play has received in WoW, don't care for the stylistic art, or are just kicking around in WoW until Vanguard arrives. Warcraft had timing on it's side in addition to being a good game in itself- EQ was finally grinding to a halt and it's successor offerings, for the most part, have been pretty bleh besides WoW.
Rinnhart,Jan 25 2006, 01:09 AM Wrote:There's no real reason to be as fast a leveling game as WoW is. They've got tons of underused content because people essentially could visit a place one time and never come back. Then, we hit the endgame and get to run the same instances for another year. Slow down the leveling game. It doesn't have to be EQ slow, but slower than it is.

Or, maybe, possibly, have plenty of variety in what you can do in the end-game, without having to spend 6 months getting there.

I mean, endless level-based character 'progression' isn't what makes a game goo... Oh, wait, I guess gameplay took a back seat to it.
"One day, o-n-e day..."