Best finds.
It's probably been done before, but I'm lazy, and the forum needs some life breathed into it anyway, so I won't look for it.

So here's the "Best finds" thread. I want your BEST finds, not your most powerful, rarest, or any other qualification. In fact, I will not settle for any of the relatively common powerful items (common because people keep them, I guess).

Basically, these should be items that you want to put on an illogical variant.

My personal best was, if I recall correctly, a Sturdy Dagger of Brittleness. But this was years ago, and I no longer have the hard drive to check, so I suspect it may have been a Strong Dagger of Brittleness. Can anyone top that?
My BNM had a weak dagger of weakness.
[Image: bountiful.jpg]

<_<
This screenshot is a little suspect. That's not how the game displays staves. Damage is always on the bottom line and called out as "Damage: ", durability isn't spelled out, and the specific base item type isn't displayed. Either it's totally bogus, or this is a screenshot from a mod (which could allow bountiful to occur as a prefix without a spell, neither of which are very intriquing). Furthermore, a Bountiful Composite staff would cost 4500 gold in vanilla Diablo, not 4000.

I've had a few finds that I like quite a bit, but most fall under your "desirable" category, so I'd say my best find was a useless bow of peril.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
My naked mage is currently looking for a Frog's Ring of Magic (-10 mana, +5 magic).

It will solve some problems, though it hasn't been found yet. -.-
Quote:This screenshot is a little suspect. That's not how the game displays staves. Damage is always on the bottom line and called out as "Damage: ", durability isn't spelled out, and the specific base item type isn't displayed. Either it's totally bogus, or this is a screenshot from a mod (which could allow bountiful to occur as a prefix without a spell, neither of which are very intriquing). Furthermore, a Bountiful Composite staff would cost 4500 gold in vanilla Diablo, not 4000.

Nice analysis Lang. With right conclusion as well. Its not screenshot from vanilla Diablo.
On the other hand, that photo is real. And its not from some (crappy) mod..... Creator of that "crap" is Blizzard North itself ...... Yep, Rudra took that screenshot by tapping F9 in Pre-Release demo of Diablo.
Lot of things work differently there, including altered data and formulas.
Cost multiplier for Bountiful is not 3 but 1 and formula is something like
Code:
((price of prefix + price of sufix (or spell) ) + price of staff * (multiplier of prefix + sufix) + price of staff)
Price of prefix Bountiful is 3000, its multiplier is 1 and plain Composite staff costs 500 so final result of this formula is 4000 for Bountiful Composite staff. I wonder if it would work for other staves too :-))

Quote:My naked mage is currently looking for a Frog's Ring of Magic (-10 mana, +5 magic).
Only reason why search for such ring, I can imagine, is for raising Magic to 255 to be able to reach slvl 15 by reading books. In my opinion, there are 2 groups of Naked Mages. In first group there are those, who hate all items and they would never use any stuff. Accidental picking and wearing some weapon is such disgusting for them, that they wouldnt do something like that from choice.

In second group there are Mages who arent as strict in question about items like their mates from Group 1. Most of them fight naked but use reading glasses for reaching slvl 15. Honestly, I think that doesnt matter what item do you use for reading books. Ring of Zodiac, Najs Light Plate, Bow of Heavens or Frog's Ring of Magic (-10 mana, +5 magic) ..... its all the same. Ok, its not because with Ring of Wizardry you reach 255 magic sooner than with NLP, but main point is in using (or not) something at all. Just dont forget to wear it off after succesfull reading :-))
Quote:In second group there are Mages who arent as strict in question about items like their mates from Group 1. Most of them fight naked but use reading glasses for reaching slvl 15. Honestly, I think that doesnt matter what item do you use for reading books. Ring of Zodiac, Najs Light Plate, Bow of Heavens or Frog's Ring of Magic (-10 mana, +5 magic) ..... its all the same. Ok, its not because with Ring of Wizardry you reach 255 magic sooner than with NLP, but main point is in using (or not) something at all. Just dont forget to wear it off after succesfull reading :-))

The point of having such a ring is that I wouldn't have to take it off, like with other glasses. It would give the +5 magic benefits, allowing me to read all spellbooks, without being given any bonuses to my mana. While I'm technically not a NM, I keep with the idea of the variant.
You sure that spell damage isn't affected by the additional magic? I know to-hit is, but I think you're already WAY above that threshold mattering. It's been a long time since I looked at the formulae, though.

I'm probably just digging for something to make you take it off, as I'm one of the "Naked mages shouldn't wear anything...EVER" guys. If you want Slvl 15, you'd better get a'lookin' for them shrines.

--me
the one item i always remember, my warrior found a gold ring of perfection. seems to be an excellent ring for a warrior. high numbers on it too.
second best was dropped by laz. it was a great LAW item, too bad it was field plate and not a leather jacket. obsidian armor of the stars.
i hope these items sound good. or were you looking for BNM items.
Quote: i hope these items sound good. or were you looking for BNM items.

No BNM items here either, but one of the first jewels I ever found in Diablo was an obsidian amulet of the stars (+39% res all/ +11 to all) -- off a random azure drake in normal/hell. I kept it through my entire time playing the game. A few other items were an obsidian/heavens long battle bow (+39% res all/+15 to all) bought off Gris (good ones are not so easy to come by in my experience), some sort of saintly/stars (+11) full plate (dropped somewhere in the dungeon), and a strange long sword of haste from Wirt. I also had a pair of strange/thunder and strange/burning bows from Wirt that I really liked.
Just a reminder:

Quote:So here's the "Best finds" thread. I want your BEST finds, not your most powerful, rarest, or any other qualification. In fact, I will not settle for any of the relatively common powerful items (common because people keep them, I guess).

Quote:My personal best was, if I recall correctly, a Sturdy Dagger of Brittleness. But this was years ago, and I no longer have the hard drive to check, so I suspect it may have been a Strong Dagger of Brittleness. Can anyone top that?

"Strong" can't occur on weapons, and "sturdy" isn't an affix (though "sturdiness" is a suffix).

I seem to remember finding an "Obsidian (Jewel) of Trouble" once.

-Lemmy
Quote:"Strong" can't occur on weapons, and "sturdy" isn't an affix (though "sturdiness" is a suffix).

I seem to remember finding an "Obsidian (Jewel) of Trouble" once.

-Lemmy

D'oh. Ancient harddrive, why have you forsaken meeeee!?

After taking a look at affixes, my faulty memory had a brief triggering at "fine". Perhaps it was a Fine Dagger of Brittleness. Though at this point, I feel almost as if I'd never owned the thing.

--me
My favorite item, though I never used it for anything other than a 0-0 dmg screen shot, was a Useless Claymore of Corruption.
My favorite item was the Gold Bastard Sword of The Bat mixed with king leoric's helm. I found that sword in the catacombs (lvl 5) on my first account and ended up killing diablo with it the first time (single Player). If any one has it i would love to trade for it but alas I cannot get diablo running on the internet... But non of the less its still my favorite item and my personel best find.
Quote:It's probably been done before, but I'm lazy, and the forum needs some life breathed into it anyway, so I won't look for it.

So here's the "Best finds" thread. I want your BEST finds, not your most powerful, rarest, or any other qualification. In fact, I will not settle for any of the relatively common powerful items (common because people keep them, I guess).

My personal best was, if I recall correctly, a Sturdy Dagger of Brittleness. But this was years ago, and I no longer have the hard drive to check, so I suspect it may have been a Strong Dagger of Brittleness. Can anyone top that?

That's easy.

Torn Flesh of Souls

I'd challenge someone to top it, but it can't be done.
<span style="color:#D1BC94">A legit Diablo I <strike>player</strike> newbie always looking for a partner or two.<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">Battle.net accounts: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(all East)<!--/sizec-->
[Image: lurkerline.gif]
<span style="color:#D1BC94">YoungHawkins<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 21 Warrior<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">MrB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 24 Mage<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">PotatoB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Mule<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">My Unique items: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(6 of 80)<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">Torn Flesh of Souls, Leather of Aut, The Cranium Basher, Fool's Crest, The Bonesaw, The Grandfather<!--/sizec-->
Quote:That's easy.

Torn Flesh of Souls

I'd challenge someone to top it, but it can't be done.

I can top it by the number of times I've found it and the number of my characters that carry it around. ;)

-Lem
Quote:I can top it by the number of times I've found it and the number of my characters that carry it around. ;)

-Lem

Well I'd have a hard time not believing you when your damn avatar is the item, haha. That's awesome man. My level 8 Sorcerer has it equipped right now.
<span style="color:#D1BC94">A legit Diablo I <strike>player</strike> newbie always looking for a partner or two.<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">Battle.net accounts: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(all East)<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">YoungHawkins<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 21 Warrior<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">MrB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Level 24 Mage<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">PotatoB<!--/sizec--> <span style="color:#B4B4B4"> | <span style="color:#AEAEAE">Mule<!--/sizec-->

<span style="color:#E8E8E8">My Unique items: <span style="color:#CCCCCC">(6 of 80)<!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:#D1BC94">Torn Flesh of Souls, Leather of Aut, The Cranium Basher, Fool's Crest, The Bonesaw, The Grandfather<!--/sizec-->
Quote:Well I'd have a hard time not believing you when your damn avatar is the item, haha. That's awesome man. My level 8 Sorcerer has it equipped right now.

I have a lv 40-something mage that wears it -- unidentified if I'm not mistaken.

-Lem
I've been working on a "Junk Man" for a while. I had started a Naked Mage, but when I happened upon a clumsy mace of skill, I just could not resist! So now I am avidly searching for items with both Good and Bad attributes. Resistances are tough to get. Here's the list so far:

Crimson Ring of Trouble +28% -7 to all
Steel Amulet of Pain +15% to hit +3 DFE
Iron Ring of the Pit +6% to hit -1 to all
Spider's Ring of Weakness +12 mana -5 Str
Pearl Amulet of the Dark +12% -40% LR
Vulnerable Cap of Vitality -86% armor +4 Vit
Vulnerable Shield of Might -65% armor +6 Str
Valiant Armor of the Pit +62% armor -4 to all
Clumsy Mace of Skill -8% to Hit -65% damage +6 dex

I gotta get me some amber junk...

Krishta
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User