Honest Question
Doc,Feb 21 2006, 07:34 PM Wrote:Now, if the Lounge is rated PG13... Why is it that if somebody drops an F-Bomb, a filter nails it and turns it in to something else? Why is it we can show scantily clad videogame vixens in various screenshots but a partially decomposed horse posted by Warlocke gets the axe? We have had screenshots dipicting the wonton carnage of a Necromancer going bananas with corpse explosion, showing the whole screen with blood and gore everywhere... And chain casting blood golem to leave piles upon piles of disgusting guts and gore scattered all over Kurast leaving poor Ormus looking a wee bit green... But people raise objections over the words "raisins and cocktail weenies."

Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?
[right][snapback]102501[/snapback][/right]
I don't care about how you use language, if I met you in real life I wouldn't mind if you swore with me, to me, or at me.
But I do care about respect:

Welcome to Boltys' lounge,
if you #$%^ on the floor,
then don't be surprised,
when your $%^ hits the door.

I think I stole this poem, but can't remember from where. Apologies to original author.

Swearing at the Lounge is being direspectful to
- Bolty, for not following the rules
- Other Lurkers, for wanting to be special and not have the rules applied to you
- Admins, for forcing them to spend more of their time to scrutinise your posts
- Yourself, for not getting your ideas across because the focus shifted to behaviour
Doc,Feb 21 2006, 06:34 AM Wrote:Like the librarians who go through National Geographic and draw underwear on the natives.[right][snapback]102501[/snapback][/right]

Meh. Most of a library's collection complaints comes from the public, not the staff. My CollDev professor said that there used to be a dedicated group at the local library who would check out books and mark through or rip out anything they considered indecent. They cut a swath through the paperbacks before they were found and banned. (But why start with the paperbacks if you're looking for potentially offensive material? Most folks march over to the mid 500s, the late 200s, and the early 600s to start rippin.)

Quote:But people raise objections over the words "raisins and cocktail weenies."

Because sex is dirty and shameful. Violence, however, is entertainment.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Feb 25 2006, 10:14 AM Wrote:Most folks march over to the mid 500s, the late 200s, and the early 600s to start rippin.
[right][snapback]102874[/snapback][/right]
Decoded:
http://www.tnrdlib.bc.ca/dewey.html

Mid 500s - Fossils, evolution
Late 200s - 290-299 = non-Christian religions (200-290= Christian religions)
Early 600s - technology
whyBish,Feb 24 2006, 09:24 PM Wrote:Decoded:
http://www.tnrdlib.bc.ca/dewey.html

Mid 500s - Fossils, evolution
Late 200s - 290-299 = non-Christian religions (200-290= Christian religions)
Early 600s - technology
[right][snapback]102875[/snapback][/right]

Butbut...I lose my mystique in the details.

Didn't really think of technology (601-605) but more of the health and sex ed manuals (613-615). The graphic novels (745) and the classic literature (811 for poetry, 812 for literature) come under fire from time to time.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Feb 24 2006, 04:14 PM Wrote:Because sex is dirty and shameful. Violence, however, is entertainment.
[right][snapback]102874[/snapback][/right]

That not it at all.

Sex is exciting, engaging and subversive(assuming they start with conventional veiws)to normal people, violence is facinating but scarey distasteful to normal people.

If I showed the average highschool boy real footage of a person being violently killed he would not be more likely to kill someone. On the other hand if I showed him real footage of people having sex he would be even more liely to have sex.

The reasons against veiwing various materials is not an inherent quality of the material but rather how it influences us.
Normal people dont WANT to kill others. Normal people do WANT to have sex. Thats not to say you cant warp a normal person with enough effort, but it seems to take more than fantasy footage in movies to do it.
Ghostiger,Feb 24 2006, 05:14 PM Wrote:That not it at all.

Sex is exciting, engaging and subversive(assuming they start with conventional veiws)to normal people, violence is facinating but scarey distasteful to normal people.

If I showed the average highschool boy real footage of a person being violently killed he would not be more likely to kill someone. On the other hand if I showed him real footage of people having sex he would be even more liely to have sex.

The reasons against veiwing various materials is not an inherent quality of the material but rather how it influences us.
Normal people dont WANT to kill others. Normal people do WANT to have sex. Thats not to say you cant warp a normal person with enough effort, but it seems to take more than fantasy footage in movies to do it.
[right][snapback]102885[/snapback][/right]

I agree. Somewhat.

As an aside, if you want to keep a young woman from getting pregnant, show graphic up close and personal childbirths... The really juicy ones with all the ripping and tearing and blood and the "daddy stitches" and the cauterisation and such.

After cleaning up the vomit and working though a little therapy, the girls get a few new reasons to say "HELL NO."
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Archon_Wing,Feb 22 2006, 01:00 AM Wrote:And back on topic, our current movie rating system is silly. ;p A few cuss words and a boob or two can easily drive up the rating, but it takes copious amounts of wanton violence and obvious disrepsect for life and other incredibly sick things to accomplish the same thing. But we all know having a movie rated "R" is a good way of attracting audiences?

"So much crazy and sick stuff, that you really don't want to see it. But you do anyways..."
[right][snapback]102606[/snapback][/right]

I think it is because violence sells (guns), and all the neocons, and christian-extremists own stock of the weapons companies.
If they would however not show this childish old-fashioned scare of people seeing nudity or sex in movies, they would lose their whole powerbase (their voters), and the republican party would never be in power anymore.
eppie,Feb 27 2006, 12:20 AM Wrote:I think it is because violence sells (guns), and all the neocons, and christian-extremists own stock of the weapons companies.
If they would however not show this childish old-fashioned scare of people seeing nudity or sex in movies, they would lose their whole powerbase (their voters), and the republican party would never be in power anymore.
[right][snapback]103050[/snapback][/right]

This is a joke, right? :unsure:
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Feb 27 2006, 08:49 AM Wrote:This is a joke, right?  :unsure:
[right][snapback]103052[/snapback][/right]

It was something that came in mind, and I thought I should wright it down a.s.a.p.

In my brain I connected facts like, the love of weapons that most religious people seem to have (not only christians), the many times that we hear about sexual perversities conducted by priests and other religious men-in-charge. (something from all ages), and the extreme love of money that these characters have.

This is the only thing I can come up with.
eppie,Feb 27 2006, 04:20 AM Wrote:It was something that came in mind, and I thought I should wright it down a.s.a.p.

In my brain I connected facts like, the love of weapons that most religious people seem to have (not only christians), the many times that we hear about sexual perversities conducted by priests and other religious men-in-charge. (something from all ages), and the extreme love of money that these characters have.

This is the only thing I can come up with.
[right][snapback]103055[/snapback][/right]
Gun ownership issues predates the neo con movement by a couple of centuries.

Christians and gun ownership are non dependent variables.

You've been reading a bit too much propaganda, dear eppie. I am glad you pointed out that your original idea was not fully formed.

Remember that it doesn't take very many pedophils priests to project an image of rampant abuse by a clergy numbering in the hundreds of thousands, given the way news can skew perspective and proportion.

Anecdote or evidence?

The damning factor, as I see it, is less the sin and error of a priest here and there, but the cover up and enabling behavior of the System that failed to squarely address the problem, allowed repeat offense under the umbrella of Mother Church, and created a major breach of trust and due to profoundly unethical behavior.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 27 2006, 03:12 PM Wrote:Anecdote or evidence?

[right][snapback]103070[/snapback][/right]

If I had proof, we didn't need to discuss this subject on the Lounge. (although even than, discussions can still go a long way (see pre-Iraq war discussions).
Anyhow, this is my opinion and so far it by far is not the most unlikely one.

The violence and or sex/swearing on TV policy has always been a very weird thing.
eppie,Feb 27 2006, 12:20 AM Wrote:I think it is because violence sells (guns), and all the neocons, and christian-extremists own stock of the weapons companies.
[right][snapback]103050[/snapback][/right]

Yes, and there is also a spaceship flying above the earth. In it contains a group of affluent white men in tailored, expensive suits talking about how to corrupt moral values and make people stupid so they can make more money. (looks like they have suceeded) After discussing this over a glass of champagne, they resort to maniacal laughter for absolutely no reason whatever and send out the men in black in their stealth helicopters. Crap... I should stop typing. If I don't ever post on this forum again, you know what happened.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Feb 27 2006, 12:46 PM Wrote:Yes, and there is also a spaceship flying above the earth. In it contains a group of affluent  white men in tailored, expensive suits talking about how to corrupt moral values and make people stupid so they can make more money. (looks like they have suceeded) After discussing this over a glass of champagne, they resort to maniacal laughter for absolutely no reason whatever and send out the men in black in their stealth helicopters. Crap... I should stop typing. If I don't ever post on this forum again, you know what happened.
[right][snapback]103089[/snapback][/right]

You fool! Don't you know wearing a tinfoil hat only improves the reception of mind control rays?

If you want to be protected, you must wear nylon stockings filled with lime jello around your head.

The men in black helicopters can't see you then.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Well there is the well known paramilitary organization here in the heartland of America.... The Lutheran Girls Sporting Club. You can't make this stuff up! :D But, I could see where the disarmed Europeans might not understand our ubiquitous and passionate relationship with weaponry.
Quote:Gun Cleaning Class  --
On September 14, 2002, Sporting Club held a gun cleaning class at 10:00 am in the Family Life Center.  This class was the most informative class that we have had in our five years of existence.

All participants were to bring their weapons cased and unloaded.  Everyone complied with the rules and we did not have anyone from the Red Cross complain.  Remember that there was a blood drive Saturday.  But, how could they complain, we had guns.  It did help that several of the members gave blood.

We had one guest from Little Rock.  He brought a shotgun that had a technical problem.  The instructor quickly fixed the problem and explained how to keep it from happening again. 

We did not have any shooting accidents and we learned how to work on our weapons.  Pastor even showed up.  What else could you ask for?  There were nine in attendance at the meeting. link

Repeat after me...

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Feb 28 2006, 07:57 PM Wrote:"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life.  So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."
[right][snapback]103234[/snapback][/right]
This being Lent, you are allowed to say that prayer in lieu of the Lord's Prayer in red states. :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 28 2006, 10:56 PM Wrote:This being Lent, you are allowed to say that prayer in lieu of the Lord's Prayer in red states.  :lol:

Occhi
[right][snapback]103237[/snapback][/right]

:o
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 28 2006, 06:56 AM Wrote:You fool! Don't you know wearing a tinfoil hat only improves the reception of mind control rays?

If you want to be protected, you must wear nylon stockings filled with lime jello around your head.

The men in black helicopters can't see you then.
[right][snapback]103091[/snapback][/right]
Damn, they don't sell that stuff over here. I wonder if aluminium foil, pantyhose, and jelly will work... :P
Doc,Feb 20 2006, 11:34 PM Wrote:What exactly is PG13?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but pre-Indiana Jones, there was only [PG] and [R]. Somehow, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg convinced those who control the movie rating system to allow an in-between rating, which they dubbed [PG-13], 13 being the age when one supposedly reaches the age for his or her right of passage into the adult life.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Feb 28 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but pre-Indiana Jones, there was only [PG] and [R]. Somehow, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg convinced those who control the movie rating system to allow an in-between rating, which they dubbed [PG-13], 13 being the age when one supposedly reaches the age for his or her right of passage into the adult life.
[right][snapback]103249[/snapback][/right]

Is the thread that long already? :huh:
Griselda,Mar 1 2006, 02:08 AM Wrote:Is the thread that long already?  :huh:
[right][snapback]103250[/snapback][/right]

I forget, what is this thread about?

roguebanshee Wrote:It was created to accomodate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom since the other ratings were inappropriate, at least according to Spielberg & Lucas on one of the Indiana Jones dvd sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG13