What's the most painless way to get to Westfall?
So it soon became apparent that my friend's hoarde alt would never level as quickly as I could, what with all my free time, so I'm going to try to catch his level 28 druid alt (and maybe his 60 main) now that the server queues have been removed.

10 play-hours and 10 twinked gold later, I have a level 15 night elf rouge in darkshore, and according to most guides I see, I should be making my way to westfall. The crap-tastic layout of the night elf cities only enforces this conviction for me.

Problem is, I've got no clue how to get there. There's a boat to the wetands, but I fail how that helps me, given that it's more than half a continent away.

I don't particularly want to spend two hours walking to my next leveling haunt, but I also don't really want to spend 15 minutes getting to the fricking rouge trainer from darkshore; can it be helped?
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
You would take the boat to the Wetlands Menithil harbour. pick up flight path , head out of town and follow the main road all the way to Dun Algaz this is a longish run , up through the tunnels into Loch modan , head south along the road to Thelsamar . pick up the flight path , back onto the road , keep heading south into the Valley of kings , take a right into south gate pass . This brings you to Dun Morogh , heading west'ish just follow the main road right to the signposted Ironforge , yay . Once in IF pick up the flightpath and enter tinkertown for the underground tram system , this ride will take you all the way to stormwind , pick up the flightpath and head out of the main gates , follow the signpost to westfall :)

Or do a /who warlock and and PM the closest one to Westfall and ask if he could summon you :P

I did this at lvl 10 without dieing , then again a lvl 12 and died a couple of times :P worst part is wetlands crocodiles / spiders , but you can use stealth here . It's not a bad run timewise , maybe half hour or so to SW .
Take care
You don't have to go all the way to Westfall. Stop in Dun Morogh and pick up a number of level appropriate quests.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Mar 12 2006, 01:50 PM Wrote:You don't have to go all the way to Westfall. Stop in Dun Morogh and pick up a number of level appropriate quests.
[right][snapback]104292[/snapback][/right]

Loch Modan, maybe?

You might also try looking for a level 40+ (for Ironforge, which is but a short tram ride from Stormwind) or level 50+ (for Stormwind itself, which is but a short run from Westfall) mage in Menethil Harbour who will open a portal for you. There are usually some waiting for one of the connecting boats there, and most are willing if you provide them with the reagent (Rune of Portals) and/or a tip ;-)

just don't ask for bread or directions to Tyr's Hand as well
You don't know what you're talking about.
lfd,Mar 12 2006, 07:56 AM Wrote:You might also try looking for a level 40+ (for Ironforge, which is but a short tram ride from Stormwind) or level 50+ (for Stormwind itself, which is but a short run from Westfall) mage in Menethil Harbour who will open a portal for you. 
[right][snapback]104293[/snapback][/right]
It's level 40 for both Ironforge and Stormwind. Level 50 is for portals to Darnassus.
Intolerant monkey.
Since this is your alt, a little bit of silver probably doesn't matter, I guess?

Then, look up in Darnassus for Mages (/who Darnassus mage), and give those higher than level 40 a (very) polite whisper.

Standard line goes like this:
"Hi! Sorry to disturb you, but I was hoping if you could do me a little favor and port me to Stormwind. Of course, I'll pay for the cost of rune."

Amazing number of mages (including my own) are known to answer "aye".

PS. My first character couldn't afford the rune (poor ol' chap!) so he made a naked suicide run all the way. :w00t:
Waltzing through the darkside ... of the lighter side of life.
Dying in Hive Regal still sends you to Westfall...
Treesh,Mar 12 2006, 03:13 PM Wrote:It's level 40 for both Ironforge and Stormwind.  Level 50 is for portals to Darnassus.
[right][snapback]104298[/snapback][/right]

My highest alliance mage is level 10. ;-)

Seems odd that the horde-side 'far capital' is thunder bluff, a mere 3.5 minutes or so bird ride from Orgrimmar.
lfd,Mar 12 2006, 08:57 PM Wrote:My highest alliance mage is level 10. ;-)

Seems odd that the horde-side 'far capital' is thunder bluff, a mere 3.5 minutes or so bird ride from Orgrimmar.
[right][snapback]104320[/snapback][/right]

Horde does have better travel but TB is still a good 20-30 minute run from Org and can be 40 minutes from Undercity depending on how much time to wait on the Zepplin. Southern Barrens mobs are also same level or higher than anything you have to run by on the road in the wetlands. People forget just how huge the Barrens is. :)

This isn't all that much shorter than Darnassus to Iron Forge, and IF to SW is just a wait on the tram for the first time and a relatively short and cheap FP later.

Of course that is what the alliance gets for joining up with aloof self centered world destroying bananna eared freaks. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Darkshore has 10 billions quests in it now. Why would you leave? You don't have to train every skill the moment it become available. At that level, I'd level 3-4 times before heading off to the trainer. For its level range, Darkshore has the greatest quest density of any area. If you know how to do it, you can most of the time work on multiple quests at once in the same areas and get 4-5 quests done on each trip away from town.
MongoJerry,Mar 13 2006, 10:43 AM Wrote:Darkshore has 10 billions quests in it now.  Why would you leave?  You don't have to train every skill the moment it become available.  At that level, I'd level 3-4 times before heading off to the trainer.  For its level range, Darkshore has the greatest quest density of any area.  If you know how to do it, you can most of the time work on multiple quests at once in the same areas and get 4-5 quests done on each trip away from town.
[right][snapback]104343[/snapback][/right]

I got to 15 sweeping the quests for bashal and ameth, but given that I'm going to need to start instancing at 20, the move seemed natural. Plus, as a rogue, keeping my dps updated speeds me along.

1.5 hours fumbling my way to westfall (I've got serious issues mixing up east and west for some reason), 4 hours leveling to 18.5.

Could somebody give me a sense of how quickly I'm leveling relative to par? I keep waiting for an exp grind to set-in and kill my progress, and I'm not sure when to expect it.

EDIT: Quick question: Are the rogue stealth and night-elf shadowmeld abilities completely redundant?

GenericKen,Mar 13 2006, 11:58 AM Wrote:EDIT: Quick question: Are the rogue stealth and night-elf shadowmeld abilities completely redundant?
[right][snapback]104345[/snapback][/right]

Shadowmeld confers a (small) bonus to a night-elf rogue's (and a cat-form night-elf druid's) stealth ability. I believe it's that at level n, your stealth actually acts as though you were level n+1.
Gnollguy,Mar 12 2006, 09:15 PM Wrote:Horde does have better travel but TB is still a good 20-30 minute run from Org and can be 40 minutes from Undercity depending on how much time to wait on the Zepplin.  Southern Barrens mobs are also same level or higher than anything you have to run by on the road in the wetlands.  People forget just how huge the Barrens is.  :)

This isn't all that much shorter than Darnassus to Iron Forge, and IF to SW is just a wait on the tram for the first time and a relatively short and cheap FP later.

Of course that is what the alliance gets for joining up with aloof self centered world destroying bananna eared freaks.  :)
[right][snapback]104321[/snapback][/right]

I actually like to do all three teen zones, makes for -really- fast levelling, all the way up to about the mid 20s, which puts you in a really good spot to pick up the redridge stuff, too.
castille,Mar 13 2006, 09:21 AM Wrote:I actually like to do all three teen zones, makes for -really- fast levelling, all the way up to about the mid 20s, which puts you in a really good spot to pick up the redridge stuff, too.
[right][snapback]104356[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I do Loch/Darkshore/Westfall or Silverpine/Barrens, which moves me up the ladder really quickly. Especially if you know what quests to do together.

--Mav
lfd,Mar 12 2006, 08:56 AM Wrote:Loch Modan, maybe?
Yes, that's what I meant.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
So here's a question; what's the most painless way to aquire faction standing?

Moving to westfall meant essentially missing out on half the lower quests, and walking from NPC to NPC delivering letters is profoundly mind-numming.

Flymo,Mar 12 2006, 06:11 PM Wrote:Dying in Hive Regal still sends you to Westfall...
[right][snapback]104315[/snapback][/right]

Yes but it is a very long walk back (though I did get to travel on a Zeppelin and visit Orgrimmar).
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Mar 14 2006, 10:10 AM Wrote:Yes but it is a very long walk back (though I did get to travel on a Zeppelin and visit Orgrimmar).
[right][snapback]104481[/snapback][/right]
GenericKen didn't say anything about wanting to get back :) You just res at the graveyard in Westfall and you've crossed continents.