Shouldn't there be a auction-house guide in here?
I'm pretty surprised at how much money can be made at the auctionhouse selling tradegoods. Leather skins and linen cloths have been selling pretty well for me.

However, I didn't happen to notice that boar meat sold exceedingly well until some time after I had sold it to the NPC (the buyouts were as high as 20s a piece this weekend).

Shouldn't there be some sort of basic guide somewhere to let newbs like me know what to keep an eye out for to participate in the larger economy (like chipped gems in D2)? I sold countless linen cloths to npcs before I knew they were worth anything.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
GenericKen,Mar 13 2006, 07:09 AM Wrote:Shouldn't there be some sort of basic guide somewhere to let newbs like me know what to keep an eye out for to participate in the larger economy (like chipped gems in D2)?
[right][snapback]104346[/snapback][/right]

Color coding. If it's grey, it's useless to pretty much anyone. If it's white or above, someone can use it for something. A lot of lower level stuff is in relative demand by bored 60's who have switched a profession, but don't want to be bothered to annoy lowbies with mass slaughtering the mobs that drop what they are looking for. If you get your hands on something white or better, swing by the AH before logging off to see what/if the current market wants it, and how much they want it for.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Mar 13 2006, 01:15 PM Wrote:Color coding. If it's grey, it's useless to pretty much anyone.
[right][snapback]104348[/snapback][/right]

The irritating exceptions to this are some of the Darkmoon Faire turn-ins.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Ah yes, the Auction House- a fickle mistress, to be sure. I have more /played time staring at the AH interface than I do on some of my characters.

RTM's Simple Guide to Auction Housing:

1. Sell every single non-gray item you find on the AH

RTM's Advanced Guide to Auction Housing:

Herein I reveal some AH tricks that I've learned as I've played WoW. In that time, I would guess that I've earned close to 5000g profit just from playing the AH. I like spending it as much as I like earning it, unfortunatly, so I rarely have more than a few hundred laying around. :(

Getting Started
1. Create a level 5 alt and run them to the nearest auction house (I'll explain why level 5 in a bit). Send any items you want to sell to this character instead of running it to the AH yourself. The time you save will FAR outweigh the postage costs in the long run.
2. Download an auction mod. I use Auctioneer. A mod such as this is optional, but it really helps. Auctioneer has a bunch of extremely handy features- it allows the posting of multiple auctions quickly, keeps track of the prices of everything on the AH, shows you vendor prices of various items, tells you what tradeskills an item can be used in (if applicable), and other nifty things. I originally poo-pooh'd the idea of needing a mod to track auctions, but after awhile it became too much of a hassle to keep track of the vast quantities of items that get posted.
Auctioneer works by scanning all the auctions on the AH at a given time, then compiling that data and comparing it to past data. It can then show you which items are cheaper than in the past. Auctioneer only becomes accurate after a few weeks of regular scanning (once/twice per day).

Posting Auctions
To make money, you need money. To a new player just starting the game, I would suggest taking 2 gathering skills and selling the results on the AH. Some tips for posting your auctions:

1. Search for the item you are selling first to see what it's going for. Undercut the existing auctions by a few silver.
2. If there are 1 or 2 auctions WAY below everyone else, don't undercut them- undercut the price of the majority. Also, buy them out and relist them at the majority price!
3. Prices fluctuate during the course of the week. For example, the trade goods market tends to become saturated on weekends, which drives prices down. Don't be afraid to wait.
4. Set a buyout! WoW players are an impatient bunch. There's nothing worse than finding an item I want with no buyout.

Money-making schemes
Now that you have a bit of venture capital, we can commence with the scheming!

1. Corner a market. Basically, you buy every single item of a given type on the AH and relist it at a higher price. Since all the auctions are yours, people will have no choice but to buy from you. You need to buy out all undercutters and repost them at your price, which requires frequent checking of the AH. Start with low-level small-volume trade goods, which have small AH deposit fees that don't eat into your profits much. I recommend copper bars. Linen cloth can be profitable too, but the sheer volume of linen on the AH at any given time can be prohibitive. It can work if you have a friend willing to check for undercutters when you're offline.
Don't set an outrageously high new price- people won't buy it. Raise it gradually, like the old frog in boiling water trick. Note that cornering a market doesn't really make you any friends and can have long-term effects on the economy. I cornered the market on copper bars last summer for a few weeks and raised the price from ~75s to 1g. It's still around 1g last I checked, but whether that's from my doings or natural market inflation, well.... who knows? :)

2. Enchanting is profitable; specifically, disenchanting. Remember that level 5 alt that you have parked at the AH? Make him/her an enchanter. Disenchanting has no level requirement, so a level 5 character can disenchant a level 60 item. Look for low-priced greens on the AH, buy them, disenchant them, and sell the resulting dusts/essences. Dusts and essences have no deposit fee, so don't worry if they don't sell. For example, Dream dust goes for 60-80s on my server. Level 45-53 greens generally yield 2-5 dream dust. I will bid on any 45-53 green going for 1g or less, which gives me a profit of 60s at least. That's not counting essences which can go for upwards of 3g. Not too shabby! This can work for lower-level greens as well (try Hillman's Shoulders/Gloves)- simply adjust the amount you're willing to pay. I generally stick to armor, since weapons are more expensive.
The auction house can only sustain a few people doing this; the price of greens will inflate to unprofitable levels if there are too many.

3. Speculating is where I've made most of my money. Buy low, sell high. This is where Auctioneer comes in handy- it can tell you if there's an item priced way below its normal price. Buy that item and relist it! A lot of my money initially came from engineering and alchemy recipes. The deposit on recipes is small, and some of the low-level ones (Swiftness Potion, for example) aren't found by farmers like the high level ones. I've bought the Swiftness Potion recipe for ~10s several times, when the going price is around 20g. I used to make a killing on high level recipes like Transmute X to X, but farmers have saturated the market enough with those that it's no longer profitable.
Be careful when speculating on blues- there are a lot of crappy blues out there that get listed for high prices just because they're blue (Moccassins of the White Hare, I'm looking at you). This is where time spent at the AH will help- you'll learn what items are worth what, and recognize when you can make a profit.

4. Resell stuff from vendors. Many recipes are sold by vendors, but people don't know that. Certain recipes are in hard-to-reach or out-of-the-way places, so people are paying for the convenience. As an example, there is a vendor upstairs in the inn in Moonbrook that sells Recipe: Rage Potion for 1s. You can pretty consistenly get 50s+ for that on the AH. Along the same lines, you make a killing from people who use Auctioneer. Buy a lesser-known item from a vendor (like a reagent- Sacred Candle, Maple Seed, etc) and put it on the AH for an outrageous price. By "outrageous" I mean 300g. No one will buy it, of course, but keep posting it for around the same price for a week or two. Then drop the price to a somewhat lesser but still outrageous price, like 100g. The item will now show up for everyone who uses Auctioneer as being 200g less than normal price. Chances are, someone will buy it and relist it at 300g thinking they'll make a quick profit. You can only do this for a little while before people catch on, so make it worth it. :)
Some would question the ethics of the above. I consider it preying on people's stupidity. Auctioneer tells you when an item is sold by a vendor- if people can't read that, frankly it's their own fault and I deserve to have their money. ;) I've only tried this once (Rune of Teleportation wooo!) and it worked with moderate success.

5. Pay attention to patch notes and play the test server. For example, the new 1.10 Tier 0.5 armor sets require a bunch of quests to complete, which in turn require a bunch of trade goods and world drops. If you farm/buy the necessary items before the patch when they're cheap, you can sometimes make good money reselling them once the patch goes live. It's hard to predict what will happen with the economy after a patch though, and I've lost money a few times. For example, in the last patch Blizzard fixed it so that King Gordock in DM couldn't be pulled alone. Farmers were soloing him using teleport hacks and as a result the price of the Ace of Warlords and class trinket books had plummeted. Once the patch went live I bought a bunch of Ace of Warlords & class books, thinking that the price would rise and I would make a profit. Well it didn't, and I didn't. :( If I wait long enough I could probably make my money back but I'm not that patient.

That's all I can think of for now- hopefully it's enough to get you started. :)
Add to what has been said that tasty greens (Agility / Stam, Str / Stam, Int / Stam) are always good sellers, but especially so when they are of level required between x6 and x9. (level 19, level 29, etc...)

This is because people have alts for Battlegrounds, where the brackets run from x0-x9. If they are serious about twinking, they will go for some of the better x9 items, and they will generally pay a LOT for them. A good leather agility / Stam item will sell for well over a gold. A level 19 item may even sell for more than that.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
RTM,Mar 13 2006, 06:52 AM Wrote:Ah yes, the Auction House- a fickle mistress, to be sure. I have more /played time staring at the AH interface than I do on some of my characters.
[right][snapback]104360[/snapback][/right]

Good advice. Other tricks:

Break up stacks. People who are buying just one or two of a commodity item aren't as picky about prices as people buying in bulk, but they aren't interested in getting more than they'll use. For a non-enchanter getting mats for, say, +7 agi gloves (3 lesser eternal, 3 illusion) they'd rather pay 4g for 3 illusion dust than 5g for 10, because they only need 3. Clever and/or thrifty people would buy the big stack and resell--let someone else sell to them, like in the real world there's more money to be made catering to the rich and lazy.

Wait for supply shortages--the AH is very volatile. Some of that is predictible (time of week mostly) and sometimes someone just buys everything or stop selling and there's a shortage. This is particularly critical for non-commodity items (things other than tradeskill reagents and disenchantable greens)--there is almost zero price memory for recipies and blues--most people buy one of any given one, ever, and only some of those price-check in advance. Wait until there are no others in the AH with a buyout before posting yours for substantially more than they were being listed for before.

Undercutting: Most of the value of undercutting appears to be from getting higher on the sort list, which is sorted by bid price. Almost nobody bids. Undercut the bid price, post average or slightly higher on buyout.

Use 24-hour auctions. You put a buyout on everything, right? If you can't afford the AH fee, don't post it. If you can, minimize the number of fees you wind up being hit for by using 24-hour auctions. This also saves you a lot of effort.

-- frink
I've made the most money on the high-priced items. But beware... that can bite you if you're not careful.

An example would be Foror's Compendium of Dragonslaying, which is the quest-starter that ends in the sword Quel'Serrar. About a year ago, the book would sell for anywhere from 2500g to 4000g, due to its rarity. Nowadays, the loveable level 60 unguilded hunters who somehow solo King Gordok 5 times an hour have them in abundance. Rumor has it the gold farmer shifts end at about 7pm EST, and they have to hit their gold quota by that time. Supposedly you could find good deals just before that because they were trying to unload.

I tested that theory out and, over the course of a month, bought 4 of the books for 750-900g and then sold them at a later time for 1500-1800g. Easy, and some big profit.

Now, why the caution? The bottom has dropped out on the market on Thunderhorn. Everyone who could possibly want one of those swords has one. Paladins are walking around with them in Ironforge. There's a huge supply and very little new demand for the books. I bought one more for 800g... and couldn't get rid of it. Ended up selling it for 800g and breaking even just before the going rates took another dive. They're currently selling for 500-600g in the AH. Or rather, I should say they're LISTED at that price. I don't see them selling.

Another item type I've been after are resistance rings. Thunderhorn was a backwater server for a while, and lagging behind the "big" servers in terms of raid progression. As such, the fire resistance rings have gone for around 100g because of people trying to get a handle on the Molten Core. Since then, there's been much progress and a few new instances added. I've been buying up shadow, nature, frost, and arcane resistance rings (+17 resist or higher) for 3-4g each over the past 4 months or so. Suddenly it's starting to pay off, as bigger guilds looking to progress through AQ40 are paying 150g+ for nature resistance rings. My little warehouse also managed to outfit our own tanks with shadow resistance rings to help cope with learning the Ebonroc fight. Arcane and frost resistances still aren't a big deal, but I forsee them playing a big part in some of the encounters in Medivh's Tower and Naxxramus' Necropolis. So here's to hoping the demand goes up in the future.

The age-old "buy low, sell high" advice holds true when playing the Auction House market. Just a question of finding a niche and using it for all its worth.
See you in Town,
-Z
So... any comments on how quickly I'm leveling? Should I be aiming for my friends' 60 or just to his 26 alt and backfill tradeskills and auctionhousing?

GenericKen,Mar 14 2006, 03:14 AM Wrote:So... any comments on how quickly I'm leveling? Should I be aiming for my friends' 60 or just to his 26 alt and backfill tradeskills and auctionhousing?
[right][snapback]104474[/snapback][/right]

I think you meant to post this in your other thread. :)

Level however fast you want. There's no rule that says you need to level at a certain pace. I'm sure there are people who have played the game from day 1 who still don't have a capped character. I think it took me around 12-14 days /played time to cap each of my 60's. I created a rogue with the intent of levelling as fast as possible and made it to 30 in 1 day 4 hours /played, but that was mostly grinding with very little questing. It's kind of boring but if you want to level as fast as possible, grinding is the best way to do so despite the enormous amount of XP you get from quests. You'll get burned out on the game very quickly though, so I don't really recommend it.

The fun in WoW comes from the journey to level 60, in my opinion. Take your time and enjoy it! There are lots of neat quests and beautiful areas in the game.
Is there a specific trick to installing auctioneer? I can't figure it out.

GenericKen,Mar 15 2006, 07:14 PM Wrote:Is there a specific trick to installing auctioneer? I can't figure it out.
[right][snapback]104722[/snapback][/right]

after you download the zip file extract it into it's own folder in your WoW addon directory. (addon is in the interface folder) Make sure that the auctioneer folder is directly in the addon folder and not a couple folders in. a lot of the addon zips extract with an interface, addon, as well as the specific addon folder.

after you have your auctioneer extracted correctly just log into WoW and check your addons to make sure you have Auctioneer enabled. I believe the last Auctioneer update was a while ago so WoW will automatically disable the addon as out of date. you will have to tell WoW to run the addon anyway.