Shaman totems are now destroyed by aoe
AOE attacks now destroy shaman totems. This is an issue that was changed and fixed in the final months of the beta but now it crops up again.
MongoJerry,Mar 31 2006, 08:55 AM Wrote:AOE attacks now destroy shaman totems.  This is an issue that was changed and fixed in the final months of the beta but now it crops up again.
[right][snapback]105947[/snapback][/right]

Is there any news on whether this was intentional or not? Combined with patch day lag, we ended up giving up on Razorgore; since we tend to favour the dps rather than kiting approach, this change could be disastrous for our strategy.
You don't know what you're talking about.
MongoJerry,Mar 31 2006, 04:55 AM Wrote:AOE attacks now destroy shaman totems.  This is an issue that was changed and fixed in the final months of the beta but now it crops up again.
[right][snapback]105947[/snapback][/right]

Quite odd considering that one of the general patch notes is this:
Quote:- Area effect spells and abilities will no longer consider totems as
  valid targets.

edit:blegh, spelling.
Well, it was annoying to see all those "Deafening Screech failed. Strength of Earth totem is immune. Deafening Screech failed. Grace of Air totem is immune. Deafening Screech failed. Mana tide totem is immune. Deafening Screech failed. Frost resist totem is immune." every single time an AoE non-damage spell was used. However, this rather pisses me off if they are actually destroyed by AoEs now (haven't played Mogo since the patch).

Is it just PvE AoEs doing it or PvP AoEs as well?
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Mar 31 2006, 09:08 AM Wrote:Is it just PvE AoEs doing it or PvP AoEs as well?

I haven't heard anything conclusive yet, but I assume that they're destroyed in PvP as well.

I suspect that what happened was that they wanted to quickly make a fix to make it so that shamans can safely drop their totems in the Twin Emperors encounter. The Twin Emperors teleport every 30 seconds or so and "cast" a hidden spell that deaggros the raid when they do it. Unfortunately, the deaggro spell hits 40 targets, so if an emperor teleports onto a totem, the totem would be one of the 40 targets hit by the deaggro spell, making one of the players not deaggroed and basically dead meat. So, now shamans can drop totems during the Twin Emperors encounter but not anywhere else.

Yes, I'm confident that this is a bug, but man, what a doozy of a bug.
Funny, this patch was the one that prevented Blade Flurry from hitting shaman totems.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
We were able to get through Razorgore, I don't know if it was despite or because of massive lag. I did notice my earthbind dead a little more then usual, but it wasn't an issue.

Vael has been unplayable two nights in a row. Although his fire aura doesn't seem to affect totems.

The first place I noticed the change was Rag, with his lavasurges reliably killing every single totem.

Supposedly there is a massive bug with Chromdog, where his bronze stun is reducing the tanks HP to 1. Not sure if it is even possible to beat him like this.

I heard one reason for the change was to stop the "forrest of totems" stratagy against the BWL goblins. Basically, in 1.9 if you erected a forrest of totems in the path of the goblins, they would all attack them repeatadly with their AOE attacks. Since AOE didn't effect totems, they would essentially be nullified until the raid felt like AOEing them down.
oldmandennis,Mar 31 2006, 12:17 PM Wrote:I heard one reason for the change was to stop the "forrest of totems" stratagy against the BWL goblins.  Basically, in 1.9 if you erected a forrest of totems in the path of the goblins, they would all attack them repeatadly with their AOE attacks.  Since AOE didn't effect totems, they would essentially be nullified until the raid felt like AOEing them down.

Possibly, although I doubt that the goblins would've been important enough to have caused a change in game mechanics, as I have farmed goblins and other BWL trash mobs with three to five man groups. Even without the totems, you can just have one person bouncing around in front of the goblins. The goblins will keep throwing their explosives at the nearby player (and keep missing) while the raid aoe's the goblins down. The totems just make it so you don't even need to do that.
oldmandennis,Mar 31 2006, 12:17 PM Wrote:Supposedly there is a massive bug with Chromdog, where his bronze stun is reducing the tanks HP to 1.  Not sure if it is even possible to beat him like this.

Perhaps this should be in a separate post, but have confirmed this personally. We heard the rumors of this, and hoped that we wouldn't get that particular breath this week. But of course, since we have gotten the Time Lapse breath on every single BWL run except for 2 ever... we got it again this week. So the MT got knocked down to 1hp, then died... 2nd tank took over, tried having a healer stay out of time lapse to get a heal on him just as soon as Time Lapse hits... but that only worked once. So we gave up and decided to do some AQ40 instead :( .

Not sure if this has gotten hotfixed or not, have yet to go back in to find out.
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Trien,Apr 1 2006, 02:54 PM Wrote:Not sure if this has gotten hotfixed or not, have yet to go back in to find out.

It hasn't been hotfixed as of this evening. Our guild got lucky and didn't get Time Lapse, but another guild did and tried to beat him for hours anyway -- obviously to no avail. I gather that there is some sort of way that some Alliance guilds are beating the bugged Time Lapse Chromaggus using a paladin trick, but I don't know what the details are.
MongoJerry,Apr 2 2006, 06:42 AM Wrote:It hasn't been hotfixed as of this evening.  Our guild got lucky and didn't get Time Lapse, but another guild did and tried to beat him for hours anyway -- obviously to no avail.  I gather that there is some sort of way that some Alliance guilds are beating the bugged Time Lapse Chromaggus using a paladin trick, but I don't know what the details are.
[right][snapback]106044[/snapback][/right]

My guild got unlucky and drew Corrosive/Time Lapse yesterday (at least it wasn't Ignite, which is flat-out impossible). We beat him on the third attempt. You don't need any paladin tricks - you just need to rethink your strategy.

The main thing with bugged Time Lapse is that anyone caught in it who also has the blue, red, or green Brood Afflictions instantly dies, since each of those are DoTs. Even the 1 frost damage that blue ticks for will kill you if you are in TL. This basically means that the raid cannot eat the Time Lapses as is the usual fashion, since Chromaggus can toss these afflictions just before or even during Time Lapse, which makes for instant kills. Instead, every warrior in the raid needs to fight for aggro and everyone but the MT needs to avoid Time Lapse just like every other breath is avoided. A full battery of healers keeps HoTs ticking on the MT, spam-clicks Power Word: Shield, and tries to land heals on the MT the moment Time Lapse is cast. About 15-20% of the time your MT still takes 1 damage and gets one-shot anyway despite what anyone can do, but just Rebirth him and get him fighting for aggro again. Whoever got Chrom during the Lapse becomes the new MT, and you keep going. If you can DPS down Chrom before all your warriors get instantly one-shot, you win. It's a difficult and admittedly stupid encounter with the bug, but it's doable.
Skandranon,Apr 2 2006, 09:45 AM Wrote:My guild got unlucky and drew Corrosive/Time Lapse yesterday (at least it wasn't Ignite, which is flat-out impossible).  We beat him on the third attempt.  You don't need any paladin tricks - you just need to rethink your strategy. 

The main thing with bugged Time Lapse is that anyone caught in it who also has the blue, red, or green Brood Afflictions instantly dies, since each of those are DoTs.  Even the 1 frost damage that blue ticks for will kill you if you are in TL.  This basically means that the raid cannot eat the Time Lapses as is the usual fashion, since Chromaggus can toss these afflictions just before or even during Time Lapse, which makes for instant kills.  Instead, every warrior in the raid needs to fight for aggro and everyone but the MT needs to avoid Time Lapse just like every other breath is avoided.  A full battery of healers keeps HoTs ticking on the MT, spam-clicks Power Word: Shield, and tries to land heals on the MT the moment Time Lapse is cast.  About 15-20% of the time your MT still takes 1 damage and gets one-shot anyway despite what anyone can do, but just Rebirth him and get him fighting for aggro again.  Whoever got Chrom during the Lapse becomes the new MT, and you keep going.  If you can DPS down Chrom before all your warriors get instantly one-shot, you win.  It's a difficult and admittedly stupid encounter with the bug, but it's doable.
[right][snapback]106048[/snapback][/right]

Thankfully, we got Corrosive/Frost this week. Hallelujah!
--Mav
Tseric,Apr 3 2006 Wrote:Lava splash targeting totems is regarded as unintended and should be corrected in a future patch. I would give an ETA, but all things are subject to change. Just know that it will at least be addressed, if not fixed, sooner rather than later.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...l&T=7740754&P=1
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.