Warlocks and engineering
My level 41 Stormrage affliction warlock has level 200 engineering and 208 mining. I wanted to do something new, and engineering is new to me.
Thus far she has barely made use of engineering gizmos, beyond rare occasional use of a target dummy or a stunning effect from a bomb. In the bank she has her coffers full of stacks of metal bars, gems, cloth and spare engineering parts. She now has to choose between goblin or gnomish engineering.

1. Is engineering going to be of any practical value? Should I just drop it and sell the mining stuff? And take up aikido or skinning instead?

2. If I stay with engineering should I go goblin or gnome and why?

Goals for this toon are to go on raids and do a little BG.

Thanks.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Engineering is for stinky noobs, who stink.

Also, you will eventually be getting a few interesting gadgets. I think most of the better ones are gnomish engineering, but most of them are BoE anyway, so you can just buy them from a gnomish engineer if you decide to pick goblin. Things like the gnomish mind control cap, which, if it works right, can be hilariously overpowered in group pvp situations. The net-o-matic net projector, which can root your target. There's the goblin rocket helm, which knocks out a target for 30 seconds, which goes for the whole duration in pvp, and has no diminishing returns. And the gnomish death ray, which can do crazy amounts of damage, or just backfire and kill you.
Eng is fun, but it won't make you much money at all. It's very nice to have for pvp and has its moments in pve as well.

The choice between gnome and goblin really boils down to where you'd like a free teleport to: Gadgetzan or Everlook. Gnomes get Gadget while goblins get Everlook.
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
You could look here for some help on that decision. I am sure I saw a guide specifically aimed at engineers needing to decide between goblin or gnome. But I cannot find it atm.
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Green Lens of Shadow Wrath.

Get one.

Depending on your build equivalent or only slightly worse than Crimson felt hat and you can easily get it early if you're an engineer with enough mats, and I'd be willing to bet some high level miners on Stormarage have piles of jade and aquamarine sitting around. I know I had stacks of 10-15 of each when I reached 300 BS.

Otherwise it's reflectors and other toys. Early engineering stuff isn't that interesting really. The bonus is that compared to other professions, engineering is pretty cheap and easy to skill up.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I went gnomish on my warlock, there are nice gizmos to use, and the death ray is a fun thing to have while leveling. Now at level 60 I don't use much engineering stuff, the odd gizmo in PvP. What I really find useful is the teleport:gadgetzan. Whenever I want to go to Silithus I spare the 10m flight from Orgrimmar just by using the device. Its also faster to fly from Gadgetzan to Feralas when doing a DM run, than to fly from Orgrimmar.
Thanks for all the responses. The Gadg teleport and Green Lens of Shadow Wrath make it worth my while, and I can sell any unused unneeded mining resources. I'm in the process now of completing my gnomish requirements.
The good thing is that the MC hat/Rocket hat are BoE and on different timers, so you can - and should - find an engineer of the opposite school to make you one. I've found the MC hat really useful a couple of times while questing/grinding in Heatherglen or Tyr's Hand to get me a free tank. :)

For BG PvP, cheap grenades are a must because you can throw them while you're running as opposed to bombs which you need to stand still for. If you're really clever you can even use grenades to get a free spell off. Flash bombs (from a goblin in the Badlands) are also really handy for dealing with those pesky hunter pets and druids. :) (Would those be usable for the tiger boss in ZG?)

But the best thing about the MC hat is that you can use it to /e talk to the other faction, which is always fun. :)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
I've got my TP to Gadg, a few trinkets, a couple of hats, and a few leftover bombs/grenades. I like the TP and will keep engineering just for that, but it seems like there is really nothing else to do. I should feel free to sell all the resources I gather from my mining and that's that? I'm not sure I evn see the point of bringing it up to 300. Only Zandalar rep gives engineering schematics, and they are not of interest to me.

Am I missing anything?
Alram,Apr 13 2006, 06:10 PM Wrote:I've got my TP to Gadg, a few trinkets, a couple of hats, and a few leftover bombs/grenades. I like the TP and will keep engineering just for that, but it seems like there is really nothing else to do. I should feel free to sell all the resources I gather from my mining and that's that?  I'm not sure I evn see the point of bringing it up to 300. Only Zandalar rep gives engineering schematics, and they are not of interest to me.

Am I missing anything?
[right][snapback]107109[/snapback][/right]

Make sure you make all your path-specific goodies (it'd be the Death Ray, Battle Chicken, and Net-O-Matic for Gnomish), especially the Death Ray.

Fear your target, hit them with the Death Ray, and then use Death Coil to send them running away and regain lost HP at the same time. Use Life Siphon or Life Drain to restore any other lost HP.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Alram,Apr 13 2006, 06:10 PM Wrote:I've got my TP to Gadg, a few trinkets, a couple of hats, and a few leftover bombs/grenades. I like the TP and will keep engineering just for that, but it seems like there is really nothing else to do. I should feel free to sell all the resources I gather from my mining and that's that?  I'm not sure I evn see the point of bringing it up to 300. Only Zandalar rep gives engineering schematics, and they are not of interest to me.

Am I missing anything?
[right][snapback]107109[/snapback][/right]

There are some interesting and valuable gadgets at 300 -- not least of which are the ever-popular repair bot, or various gun-related schematics like the Core Marksman Rifle and the... Sniper? Scope.

That said, I wouldn't go nuts making random things to get to 300; make Thorium Shells for our gun-toting hunters or something.
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Plus thorium shells can be turned in for thorium arrows. DPS!
Darian,Apr 14 2006, 04:04 PM Wrote:There are some interesting and valuable gadgets at 300 -- not least of which are the ever-popular repair bot, or various gun-related schematics like the Core Marksman Rifle and the... Sniper? Scope.

That said, I wouldn't go nuts making random things to get to 300; make Thorium Shells for our gun-toting hunters or something.
[right][snapback]107152[/snapback][/right]
I hit 300 making widgets which I could use for the darkmoon faire. If you're not interested in any of the faire stuff, widgets generally have a steady market from tribute runs and a greatly over inflated market during the actual faire.

Delicate Arcanite Converters are probably selling for stupid amounts of money now that they're needed for the D2 stuff, so get in quick before the market levels out.

If you're lucky enough to see the schematics drop, the Hyperradient flame reflector could potentially make you a little bit of pocket money, and it's a whole lot of fun too boot! Same goes for the drillboar disk.

And don't forget to get your tranquil mechanical yeti schematics! Go Stumpy! Goooooo! (TMYs are BoE, so you can flog them off to pet-o-holics.)

The problem with engineering is that by and large you can only make things for other engineers, which kind of cuts down on your market size. :) It's still fun though and I don't regret being an engineer for a second.
I hate flags