elemental resistance caps
I read somewhere that elemental resists are capped at various levels. I cannot remember where I saw these numbers, probably in this forum.

The example I saw cited 75 and 135 as the first two caps for fire resist.

Some questions:

(0) What are the higher caps?

(1) Does this mean, for example, that the extra FR above 75 and less than 135 is useless?

(2) Do the caps work the same way for all resistances?

(3) Do the caps work the same way for all classes?

(4) What is the source for these infos?

(5) Spangles doesn't have much FR built into her gear. She carries a bagful of rings and trinkets. When she gets an FR buff she adds rings to bring the value above (and as close as possible) to 135. FR accessories eat into stamina, mostly, so nonfunctional FR is to be avoided. Is this a reasonable strategy?
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
The information on this page don't disclose the exact mechanics, but it's easy enough to infer them from what's there:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basi...ances.html

Basically every 1x level of opponent you get in resists = 15% damage reduction, up to 5x as a max.

So against a level 60, 60 resist is 15% reduction, 120 is 30% reduction and 300 will hit the 75% cap. Resist will not be 'useless' until you get to 5x the level of what you are fighting.

Another meaningful note is that you appear to only be able to get 60 resist from common temproray sources (totem / aura doesn't stack with Mark of the Wild, for example)
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
My favorite site for formulas and the like has:

Magical Resistances
Thanks, these replies contain the infos I need :)
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
Ynir,Apr 3 2006, 04:31 PM Wrote:Thanks, these replies contain the infos I need :)
[right][snapback]106125[/snapback][/right]

Please note as Concillian said the caps are infered. I've seen claims of tests that show it does and does not exist.

Meaning that 300 resis vs a L60 should be 75% average resistance and that 400 resist was something like 85% average resistance. That it wasn't capped but that there was massive diminishing returns beyond the 75% point.

Since Blizzard has stated that there is no cap on other things (such as the supposed 60% mitigation cap with block/dodge/parry, Blizzard has stated the only cap on that is how much gear you can stack).

It needs more testing on resists to really see what they are doing at higher levels.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Well, on the blizzard page it does say that there is a cap at 75%:

Quote:The higher your resistance score in relation to the level of the attacking caster, the higher your average resistance percentage, up to a maximum of 75%.

I believe it has been shown with druids that physical mitigation through armor is also capped at 75%, so in my ind it's feasible.

Keep in mind that spells can also "miss" at what I presume is a 5% natural rate on even levels, and that will show up in the log as a resist.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
The resistances are indeed capped at 75%, however it can be useful to have more than 300/315 in some situations. In PvE you can get debuffs that lower your resistance values. In PvP your opponent can have spell penetration gear, which effectively lowers your resistance values.
Not to mention in PvE you aren't fighting level 60 mobs.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune