Is Aggro Wonky in 1.10?
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...st&T=765995&P=1

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...mp=1#post124483

Anyone noticing wonky aggro in 1.10? I know I've been getting aggro a lot more on my Priest lately, but I've assumed it was because I no longer have the 20% aggro reduction talent.

There's suspicion that Sunder Armor isn't doing what it should now.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Haven't had any problems so far.
http://ctprofiles.net/24532 <-- Bhak lvl 60 Priest
Sure noticed it in LBRS last night. An example is that area where you pick up the roughshod pike. We aggroed the group in the center and started fighting them well away from that group in the corner which is normally bypassed. That group began attacking our priest only who was standing back near the bridge leading to that general area. We commented throughout the run on the "wonkiness" of the aggro in there but that is the most patent example I can recall.
I'll pay a bit more attention to it. I've had a few deaths that I didn't fully understand, but I just chalked them up to bad luck. I don't think there's a problem with Holy Nova causing threat, though, because I performed the dangerous test of Holy Nova'ing mobs in our shaman kiting circle during the Razorgore encounter and didn't pull aggro at all.
First group after 1.10 I did was DM West. Since you have to kill all the big trees we were doing so, and I had about decided aggro was completely messed up. But under discussion we decided it was just an aggro wipe from a punt and an undergeared 59 warrior. Never having killed them before I was unfamiliar with them.

Since then I haven't noticed anything as far as healer aggro that seemed inordinate. I've been pulling aggro occasionally doing DPS (yes, yes, I can now hurt things! All you smite mockers can mock but it hurts things now). However, with no prior experience doing DPS, I've nothing to compare to.
These kinds of posts show up in the warrior forums after each patch, along with the "I'm not critting as much with improved overpower, I think they changed it to be strictly 50%" posts (which are also always proven incorrect).

I haven't noticed anything odd except, as vor_lord noted, that one DM West trip where we actually had to fight the trees before Warpwood. I wasn't tanking that run (well my warlock did tank a little, but that wasn't intentional :) ), but once we got past the punting and aggro wipage, things settled down into what seemed normal.

I tanked Strat live and UBRS and things seemed quite normal.

This is just normal post-patch jitters as people are worried about the stealth changes that come packaged with the advertised ones each patch. The skepticism is probably justified given the number of things they downright BROKE this patch, but in my experience, sunder is working like it always has.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Bolty,Apr 4 2006, 12:41 PM Wrote:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...st&T=765995&P=1

Anyone noticing wonky aggro in 1.10?&nbsp; I know I've been getting aggro a lot more on my Priest lately, but I've assumed it was because I no longer have the 20% aggro reduction talent.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]106186[/snapback][/right]

We noticed the problem during our stage2 - stage3 transition on Onyxia last night and in MC after. We chalked it up to wacky post-patch onyxia problems and early DPS, but somthing is definately less solid than before.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Thenryb,Apr 4 2006, 11:55 AM Wrote:Sure noticed it in LBRS last night. An example is that area where you pick up the roughshod pike. We aggroed the group in the center and started fighting them well away from that group in the corner which is normally bypassed. That group began attacking our priest only who was standing back near the bridge leading to that general area. We commented throughout the run on the "wonkiness" of the aggro in there but that is the most patent example I can recall.
[right][snapback]106189[/snapback][/right]

Did the priest happen to step onto the bridge at all? That spot in LBRS has done strange stuff like that forever, especially if anyone does anything that can generate aggro while on the bridge. But I've seen things like you described even when people didn't touch the bridge. I haven't really tested it but that area of LBRS is just odd and I've seen several strang things happen there.

As to the linked posts. Eh, I don't believe it. I haven't grouped a lot since the patch, but nothing seems odd aggro wise to me. My druid held the way I expected her to. My paladin held better than I expected him too. I haven't really tried to hold aggro on the warrior or the hunter pet yet (though the pet is holding just fine against my improved DPS my hunter has since the patch).

Holy Nova, while zero aggro, will still put on you threat lists like it always has. If you are the only one on the threat list for a mob you are still top of the threat list, it can also put you on the threat of mobs you may not have been on before. This is how holy nova has always been but many priests simply aren't used to it. Hitting mobs that no one else has touched (linked mobs that came with the pull) with holy nova will get you aggro. Of course a dem shout is all it takes to get them back.

I'll pay more attention but nothing seems off to me.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
After having played both my priest and warrior after the patch, I have noticed no difference in aggro. I was able to lock it down with little difficulty with Skybreak and I rarely pulled it with Silverflail (mainly due to mind control aggro :whistling: ).

The one thing that WAS weird is that occasionally Holy Nova would pull aggro at the start of the AoE pulls. I wonder if it can overcome proximity aggro, but not direct attacks (ie when someone targets the mob, it won't be bothered by Holy Nova).
-TheDragoon
vor_lord,Apr 4 2006, 10:31 AM Wrote:But under discussion we decided it was just an aggro wipe from a punt and an undergeared 59 warrior.&nbsp; Never having killed them before I was unfamiliar with them.
Even my overgeared 60 warrior would lose aggro, on occasion, because of the punts. Those were definitely working as they always have, from my experience. :)
-TheDragoon
TheDragoon,Apr 4 2006, 03:48 PM Wrote:The one thing that WAS weird is that occasionally Holy Nova would pull aggro at the start of the AoE pulls.&nbsp; I wonder if it can overcome proximity aggro, but not direct attacks (ie when someone targets the mob, it won't be bothered by Holy Nova).
[right][snapback]106214[/snapback][/right]

Arcane Explosion has a base radius of 10 yard and normally there is nothing for the mage to do to increase that radius. I think I did see a set property that did increase that radius, but do not feel like looking to confirm as that something pretty much out of the ordinary for most players.

Holy Nova also has base radius of 10 yards and the priest can increase that radius with the talent Holy Reach (+10%/+20%). This can put the situation out that the priest can get themselves on the aggro list of some mobs fairly easily by just outdistancing the AOE of the mage.
TheDragoon,Apr 4 2006, 02:48 PM Wrote:The one thing that WAS weird is that occasionally Holy Nova would pull aggro at the start of the AoE pulls.&nbsp; I wonder if it can overcome proximity aggro, but not direct attacks (ie when someone targets the mob, it won't be bothered by Holy Nova).
[right][snapback]106214[/snapback][/right]

Yes as I mentioned, Holy Nova has always done this. It puts you on the aggro list with zero aggro. However if no one elee is on the aggro list you are still the top. Holy Nova is more aggro than prox aggro and always has been. As I said someone has to do something to the mob that creates aggro. If they don't holy nova will make them hit you. Not changed from the way it has always worked.

And Ruv brings up a good point too, you could be out distancing the mage and if the mage sheep pulls and you holy nova before they hit the mobs, yep you will take all the initial damage as well until the mage hits them. Same as always.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Apr 4 2006, 01:30 PM Wrote:Yes as I mentioned, Holy Nova has always done this.&nbsp; It puts you on the aggro list with zero aggro.&nbsp; However if no one elee is on the aggro list you are still the top.&nbsp; Holy Nova is more aggro than prox aggro and always has been.&nbsp; As I said someone has to do something to the mob that creates aggro.&nbsp; If they don't holy nova will make them hit you.&nbsp; Not changed from the way it has always worked.

And Ruv brings up a good point too, you could be out distancing the mage and if the mage sheep pulls and you holy nova before they hit the mobs, yep you will take all the initial damage as well until the mage hits them.&nbsp; Same as always.
[right][snapback]106217[/snapback][/right]
Ok, good to know, thanks. I had never used Holy Nova before, so I wasn't 100% on how that worked. It wasn't really a big problem, most of the time (even Demoralizing Shout could pull it off), but it's something to keep in mind.
-TheDragoon
I'd have to say a definite no. As a warrior I've tanked the following since the patch:

Molten Core up to Gehennas
3 Baron Runs, one of them a 45 minute run
1 Scholo Run
1 UBRS Run
1 ZG Run including Hakkar
A smattering of quests

I haven't noticed any change in the way aggro works.

I have on the other hand, noticed tons of people "observing" things that didn't turn out to be true, largely because they've never done the particular instance with a 5-man or 10-man before. My favorite goes to the guys who were convinced The Baron's healing from skeletons was a totally new thing. I don't really trust the WoW community at large to accurately notice these things...

I will say that I've noticed that monsters seem to occasionally avoid getting pulled more then I've ever noticed. That is to say, for example, that you pull a pack of 3 ghouls in Strat and only 2 of them approach, and their approach is stuttered weirdly, with them pausing in their tracks for a second. Same thing happened twice in UBRS where we pulled a mixed dragon/orc pack, but somehow left a dragon behind. The second time, I noticed the dragon seem to evade bug and run back to it's starting point. I get the weird feeling that the monster AI scripts might be being over-taxed for some reason and actions are getting queued in weird ways. That is just speculation though.
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but haven't done much instancing since the patch. (Two DM West runs - one tanking and one DPS - and one 5man LBRS run tanking.) Our level 59 warrior was able to hold aggro in DM without any problems, although we did split some pulls and have me tank 1-2 mobs early in the fight.

One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be some sort of synching problem going on at the moment. With normal latency (for me) there's noticably more lag between pushing the button and seeing a response. (This is noticable over and above the increasingly laggy instance servers.)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
I'm willing to believe that nothing changed with overall tanking/agro holds. However, something did change with the Onyxia stage 2-3 transition. It is very difficult to get her back focused on the tank at this point where it never was before. Has anyone else experienced this?
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Bolty,Apr 4 2006, 11:41 AM Wrote:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...st&T=765995&P=1

Anyone noticing wonky aggro in 1.10?&nbsp; I know I've been getting aggro a lot more on my Priest lately, but I've assumed it was because I no longer have the 20% aggro reduction talent.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]106186[/snapback][/right]

I had a helluva time attracting and keeping mobs with sunder armor in BWL. As in I would sunder as the mob approached me, chase after it to the healers, taunt and sunder again and pull it back to the other tanks. I'd keep applying sunders, revenge, shield slam and demo shout and watch it tear off at 5 sunders as soon as I turned my attention to the next mob. I've never had that happen.
I didnt make it clear which bridge I was speaking about-there are two bridges, the second one you cross is at a right angle to the first one. I was speaking of the second bridge. The priest had crossed that and had virtually done nothing when we aggroed the group to the right.
vor_lord,Apr 4 2006, 10:31 AM Wrote:First group after 1.10 I did was DM West.&nbsp; Since you have to kill all the big trees we were doing so, and I had about decided aggro was completely messed up.&nbsp; But under discussion we decided it was just an aggro wipe from a punt and an undergeared 59 warrior.&nbsp; Never having killed them before I was unfamiliar with them.

I don't understand this statement, since I haven't been in DM West since the patch. Are you saying that you have to kill the big trees now? Previously, most groups I've been with have played frogger with the trees and run into the middle courtyard area without killing any of them. Then, we'd kill the elementals and then play frogger again with the trees and run to where the tree boss is. Are you saying that this is no longer possible?
MongoJerry,Apr 5 2006, 05:59 PM Wrote:I don't understand this statement, since I haven't been in DM West since the patch.&nbsp; Are you saying that you have to kill the big trees now?&nbsp; Previously, most groups I've been with have played frogger with the trees and run into the middle courtyard area without killing any of them.&nbsp; Then, we'd kill the elementals and then play frogger again with the trees and run to where the tree boss is.&nbsp; Are you saying that this is no longer possible?
[right][snapback]106340[/snapback][/right]

Upon aggroing, Tendris Warpwood now calls all the big, patrolling trees to his aid. You can complete a DM West Prince run without killing the big trees by simply not killing Tendris, the tree boss. You can no longer run Tendris without killing anything else, though.