Scariest Monster?
Hi,

Scariest monster type: Black Death. No monster type gets me scared like these ugly swines. Possible permanent life loss makes me wary as hell!

Scariest single enemy: King Leoric. When you are a beginner character and it's time to face the butcher, that's not that bad in my opinion, contrary to what has been said by others. Sure, his appetite for "fresh meat" is intimidating, but at least you know very well what awaits you when you open the door to his square room (Maybe with the exception of the *very* first time you meet him). But King Leoric freaks me out every time it comes to face him with a young rogue or sorcerer: He
- awaits you *somewhere* in lvl 3 (multiplayer)
- can open doors
- is the only one who's slightly faster than you
- leeches 100% life, and that adds to his hp even over the initial value.
Now - ain't that scary as hell?

Greetings, Fragbait

Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Argh, why are you people so scared of losing hit points permanently? There's only one hit point lost and it's quite UNLIKELY to actually lose it! BDs are easy to kill and they have a tough time hitting ya. Can't understand why modders always ban these monstrosities' abilities, which were really meant for the game. We're not such cowards are we :) ?
Good night.
lightning demons, especially the black ones. they look real satanic, and the
black ones seem to be hiding in the shadows. any skeleton anywhere looks cool. balrogs look demonic too, but their heads are a bit small. the knights in hell are intimidating, standing head and shoulders above anyone, and that huge sword is dangerous looking.

and this is the problem with Diablo 2. just about all the monsters in that game just look damn stupid or silly. even the skeletons look wimpy, and how can you make a skeleton 'NOT' look cool!? they managed to do it. all the monsters in act 4 are really stupid, some are disgusting even, like those idiotic 'things' that puke? that is very gross and the fallen, who are suppose to be returns from diablo 1 church area? obnoxious and annoying. the boss reanimates them, and they squeak and cry when you kill them. just plain lame. even the goats look nancy, running around on their high heels. the knights in act four, with their dresses don't look scary, or amusing, they look stupid. amazing how lousy D2 looked.

and this is why i never cared for warcraft 2. it looked too cartoony. i didn't like the look at all, and it never captured my attention right away, the way diablo 1 did. if D1 had been goofy cartoony like warcraft 2, or warcraft 1 even, i never would have bothered with it. and warcraft 3 still looks silly cartoony, everyone with bell-bottom pants, what is this 1971? looks like my hippie sister dressed everyone.

now, even world of warcraft still has that w3 cartoony hippy look, but of coarse. but that game is so huge and has so much to it, that i can overlook the wacky look, somewhat. makes me want to play a mmoo that tries to look real. maybe diablo 3 will. but... wait, what was the question again?
Heidi,May 1 2006, 01:59 PM Wrote:lightning demons, especially the black ones. they look real satanic, and the
black ones seem to be hiding in the shadows.
[right][snapback]108620[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, there always was somethin scary lookin about Maelstorms - their charcoal-black color scheme seems to make them look even more menacin.. I couldn't help but laugh myself to death at your review of D2's monsters, though. Nice way to start my mornin - with a good bellylaugh, hehe.

Dradkin,Apr 26 2006, 11:41 PM Wrote:There is still one regular monster that scares me half to death. You see, I have this nasty habit of turning the volume on my speakers up and up. Then as I wander through the caves I hear a deafening roar and I am charged by a horned demon of sorts, leaving me stunned and knocked back(not to mention missing a considerable amount of health). They still make me jump when I get caught off guard. Definatly the most scary in the game. Especially when they wander at the edge of your screen and then you start playing with your inventory not knowing they are there, I mean sheesh.
[right][snapback]108331[/snapback][/right]

Argh, you aren't the only one here who gets his lights scared outta him by the Horned Demon comin outta nowhere. Anyone remember playin the Valor quest for the very first time..? :wacko:
Gateway: USA East
Sorcerer: Force_11.06.04.
Warrior: ForceLuvsSheFlex
LAW: Force_Nov.06.04.

Luvin my babe forever.. =))
That is exactly the thing that started it all for me. When I went to the first door with my weakling warrior a horned demon charged me immediatly with that horrible roar. Just then I realized that I had not properly healed myself since the last battle and I was now dead.
Ebon,Apr 30 2006, 04:14 PM Wrote:Argh, why are you people so scared of losing hit points permanently? There's only one hit point lost and it's quite UNLIKELY to actually lose it! BDs are easy to kill and they have a tough time hitting ya. Can't understand why modders always ban these monstrosities' abilities, which were really meant for the game. We're not such cowards are we :) ?
[right][snapback]108595[/snapback][/right]

Usually people want to avoid BDs so you dont abuse the Mana Shield no Stunlock bug, where if you take more damage than you have life while MS is up you won't be put into stunlock, so you can breeze through H/H if you have low life. Mostly a Sorc/Mini-Mage Rogue problem, but still a major one if you care about not abusing bugs.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
I think you're missing a monster... I remember someone finding a winged skeleton deamon of some kind... I never looked at the code indepth myself, so I can't tell you the name of it..
Master DS5,May 5 2006, 10:12 AM Wrote:I think you're missing a monster... I remember someone finding a winged skeleton deamon of some kind... I never looked at the code indepth myself, so I can't tell you the name of it..
[right][snapback]108984[/snapback][/right]

On the PC version of Diablo, these are an inactivated monster known as Lord Sayters. They are apparantly in the PS1 version on dlvl 16, but I'm not sure what name they have.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Master DS5,May 4 2006, 05:12 PM Wrote:I think you're missing a monster... I remember someone finding a winged skeleton deamon of some kind... I never looked at the code indepth myself, so I can't tell you the name of it..
[right][snapback]108984[/snapback][/right]

I already had them in the monster list. :rolleyes:

Force,Apr 5 2006, 08:31 PM Wrote:Skeleton Demon (unreleased):
[Image: skeleton-demon.gif]

It's a big list, though, so I wouldn't be suprised if people missed a monster on it.

Force,May 6 2006, 03:47 PM Wrote:I already had them in the monster list. :rolleyes:
It's a big list, though, so I wouldn't be suprised if people missed a monster on it.
[right][snapback]109106[/snapback][/right]
What was that monster supposed to fire, anyway?
EDIT: look at the pic
Good night.
Ebon,May 9 2006, 02:15 AM Wrote:What was that monster supposed to fire, anyway?
EDIT: look at the pic
[right][snapback]109305[/snapback][/right]

I have no clue. Fairy dust, I suppose? :D

Butcher it's the champ! In the very first time playing diablo in my life on PSX I doesn't know how to distribute points (the PSX version has no button informing, just a golden simbol over the spell sphere) so together with the "AAAAAHHH, fresh meat!!!" was the afraid of getting killed, i was killed about 4 times, then i managed to lock him on a cell and killing him with the rogue....i still remember the adrenaline rush!!!
Other was the Skeleton King, in PSX with 2 players....it's pop up of f**** nowhere with a army of skeletons (most of times horror) and he is fast! he is big! he opens doors! and do the "AAAHH" when hit you...so dont you ran...face to face and potion him to the death... or use holy bolt even with the rogue.
Thats my history on how diablo just addicted me
"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy!"
jaderanderson,May 9 2006, 08:43 PM Wrote:Butcher it's the champ! In the very first time playing diablo in my life on PSX I doesn't know how to distribute points (the PSX version has no button informing, just a golden simbol over the spell sphere) so together with the "AAAAAHHH, fresh meat!!!" was the afraid of getting killed, i was killed about 4 times, then i managed to lock him on a cell and killing him with the rogue....i still remember the adrenaline rush!!!
Other was the Skeleton King, in PSX with 2 players....it's pop up of f**** nowhere with a army of skeletons (most of times horror) and he is fast! he is big! he opens doors! and do the "AAAHH" when hit you...so dont you ran...face to face and potion him to the death... or use holy bolt even with the rogue.
Thats my history on how diablo just addicted me
[right][snapback]109396[/snapback][/right]

i have t o agree. butcher is scary :D
For surprise aspect late at night, even with volume turned down, The Butcher scared the crap out of me.
but for looks id have to say Hidden/Goat Lords/Skeletal demon
I haven't been able to play D for a lil while, my internet keeps randomly disconnectin, and it slows down my computer horribly whenever it does that. I miss D.:(

Quote:For surprise aspect late at night, even with volume turned down, The Butcher scared the crap out of me.
but for looks id have to say Hidden/Goat Lords/Skeletal demon
The scariest monster for me was the first time I finished the Chamber of Bone quest, SP, and went to the next level and ran into a Boss pack of spitters who were hiding right behind a door. Open door, and it all came cascading in on me. The extra fast spitting, the acid pool damage, and speed of the dogs was a bit overwhelming for my warrior. It took me a while to finally get a handle on them.

Dogs gave me more darned trouble . . .

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:I haven't been able to play D for a lil while, my internet keeps randomly disconnectin, and it slows down my computer horribly whenever it does that. I miss D.:(

Have you tried getting a bigger tube for your Internet?;)

What What What?! So the inner-nets is now an inner-tube?
Quote:What What What?! So the inner-nets is now an inner-tube?

If you're really lucky, you can get a truck to deliver your internets.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete

>If you're really lucky, you can get a truck to deliver your internets.

But what does a truck have to do with anyth-, aha! Now I get it! Whenever I click on the little picture of my modem, it says 'Speed'. That must be the speed at which the net delivery truck you're talking about is going at. No wonder it's slow, it usually tops out at 56 K it says here, which I assume to be 56 kilometer an hour.

I'm just hoping it doesn't dump my innernets with my regular mail. The last time that happened my mailbox could not handle it and a gust of wind blew everything on the front yard. Wind blown mail + internets = a tangled web of mess.