Warlocks and Stormrage Alliance Policies
1. I finished the level 50 quest. I am wondering which reward item to select. Both the staff and the chest armor would be upgrades, but eventually they will be replaced. The trinket is irreplaceable, but of limited utility. I tend to use the VW very selectively and prefer to have the imp or succubus out.

quest reward
Soul Harvester
Staff
118 - 178 Damage Speed 3.30
(44.8 damage per second)
+16 Stamina
Equip: Improves your chance to hit with spells by 1%.
Equip: Increases damage done by Shadow spells and effects by up to 24.
current gear
Sword of Serenity
One-Hand Sword
46 - 86 Damage Speed 2.20
(30.0 damage per second)
+9 Stamina
+4 Spirit

Umbral Crystal
Held In Off-hand
+5 Stamina
Equip: Increases damage done by Shadow spells and effects by up to 17.
Robes of Servitude

quest reward
Chest
75 Armor
+15 Stamina
+10 Intellect
Equip: Increases damage done by Fire spells and effects by up to 23.
Equip: Increases damage done by Shadow spells and effects by up to 23.
current gear
Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe
Chest
55 Armor
+10 Stamina
+17 Intellect

quest reward
Abyss Shard
Trinket
Use: Casts your Summon Voidwalker spell with no mana or Soul Shard requirements.
Cooldown: 30 min
10 sec cast
current gear
Trinkets--I won't bother listing these. I am an engineer and currently have more trinkets than I use.

2. How much fire resistance should I have before I shoot for MC and BWL (and Ony?)? Aside from fire resistance and level 60 what else do I need to join these raids?

3. I am currently specced to 31/3(improved imp)/8(heading for Shadowburn).
What do you sugest for an end game build? End game goals for this toon are raiding, only as much soloing as is really needed and some BG. I really would like a build where I can contribute as much as possible to the raid.

My current thoughts are:
a. 31(dark pact)/0/20
b. 30/0/21(ruin)
c. some sort of combo of the above, but also with 3 points in Demonology for improved imp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a few Stormrage specific questions. Some should no doubt be asked on the Carpe Aurum forums, but I know you guys and don't mind appearing noobish here.

1. On the Carpe Aurum forums there is a board entitled
Quote:"ZG, AQ20, and other smaller raid signups which are not covered by ARP or managed by ARC."
What is ARP? What is ARC? And how does it matter to me?

2. I have read over the point system on Carpe Aurum.
a.
Quote:"5. Loot found on a raid has a fixed point cost. This cost is determined by the raid leaders. Costs for known items will be posted. If costs are determined to need adjustment either up or down all changes will be retroactively applied to all raid participants."
Where is it posted? During the raid itself?"

b.
Quote:"6. Need: everyone who is interested in a particular loot item declares interest. Whomever has the highest point total wins the item and pays the cost. We are setting a 1 point cut off for highest points. Anyone within 1 point of the highest point total that wants the item will be included in a random roll for that item. This cut-off is to help deal with rounding erors and smooth things out. Please note you can win even if your point total is negative, as long as you are highest total that wants the item.
7. The points spent are then divided among everyone in the raid with the exception of the person who won the loot. If an item was worth 100 points and there are 40 people on the raid, each person who didn't win an item receives 2.56 points. Points will be tracked to two significant figures."
So it will be impossible for me to win the 1st item that drops as I will have zero points. How many raids will I need to attend before I have any hope of winning something? Or could it possibly be a case where everyone else already has the same or better, and so I win a lot of stuff and go deep into negative points?

4. What are the usual and customary loot rules for 5 man runs of high level instances?

5. What other questions should I be asking? Incidentally I have read Mirajj's post on raiding published here at the LL.

Thank you for all the help I have been given to date on Stormrage.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Apr 14 2006, 10:11 AM Wrote:1. I finished the level 50 quest. I am wondering which reward item to select. Both the staff and the chest armor would be upgrades, but eventually they will be replaced. The trinket is irreplaceable, but of limited utility. I tend to use the VW very selectively and prefer to have the imp or succubus out.

quest reward
Soul Harvester
Staff
(44.8 damage per second)
+16 Stamina
current gear
Sword of Serenity
One-Hand Sword
(30.0 damage per second)
+9 Stamina
+4 Spirit

Umbral Crystal
Held In Off-hand
+5 Stamina
Robes of Servitude

quest reward
Chest
75 Armor
+15 Stamina
+10 Intellect
current gear
Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe
Chest
55 Armor
+10 Stamina
+17 Intellect

quest reward
Abyss Shard
Trinket
Use: Casts your Summon Voidwalker spell with no mana or Soul Shard requirements.
10 sec cast
current gear
Trinkets--I won't bother listing these. I am an engineer and currently have more trinkets than I use.

2. How much fire resistance should I have before I shoot for MC and BWL (and Ony?)?  Aside from fire resistance and level 60 what else do I need to join these raids?

What do you sugest for an end game build? End game goals for this toon are raiding, only as much soloing as is really needed and some BG. I really would like a build where I can contribute as much as possible to the raid.

My current thoughts are:
a. 31(dark pact)/0/20
b. 30/0/21(ruin) 
c. some sort of combo of the above, but also with 3 points in Demonology for improved imp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a few Stormrage specific questions. Some should no doubt be asked on the Carpe Aurum forums, but I know you guys and don't mind appearing noobish here.

1. On the Carpe Aurum forums there is a board entitled  What is ARP? What is ARC? And how does it matter to me?

2. I have read over the point system on Carpe Aurum.
a.  Where is it posted? During the raid itself?"

b.
So it will be impossible for me to win the 1st item that drops as I will have zero points. How many raids will I need to attend before I have any hope of winning something? Or could it possibly be a case where everyone else already has the same or better, and so I win a lot of stuff and go deep into negative points?

4. What are the usual and customary loot rules for 5 man runs of high level instances?

5. What other questions should I be asking? Incidentally I have read Mirajj's post on raiding published here at the LL.

[right][snapback]107115[/snapback][/right]

Take the trinket. It won't take you long to replace the staff or chestpiece, but that trinket will remain useful even after a hundred days /played on your character.

Don't stress about fire resistance. Don't DE or vendor items you have that include it, but super high values aren't that important for a caster and you'll get a fair amount easily once you start raiding.

There are lots of viable raiding warlock builds each with their own advantages and disadvantages. I used 0/30/21 and was happy with it. Just play to your taste.

I can't answer the stormrage specific questions. Based on my Eonar experience you are likely to obtain at least one epic piece on your first raid, assuming you join an established raiding guild - warlocks are a rare class and hence class-restricted pieces may default to you because all the other warlocks have them (or because they are negative in points, having got pieces defaulted to them in previous weeks). I saw someone get two felheart on their first run and have heard of people getting many more.

It's hard to say what the typical loot rules for 5-man are as several systems are in common use. Perhaps the most common I've seen in PuGs is 'one blue plus class set' - random rolls if you want an item, limit one need win per run plus whatever of your tier 0 drops but there is a lot of variety. I wouldn't worry much about it as if you enjoy raiding and are a new member of an established raiding guild you'll get purples pretty fast - it's arguably easier to complete felheart (all drops in one instance, every boss can drop it, little competition) than dreadmist (drops all over the place, useful to mages and priests as well).

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 06:11 PM Wrote:1. I finished the level 50 quest. I am wondering which reward item to select. Both the staff and the chest armor would be upgrades, but eventually they will be replaced. The trinket is irreplaceable, but of limited utility. I tend to use the VW very selectively and prefer to have the imp or succubus out.
I took the Soul Harvester from this quest. It's probably the best weapon you'll see before you head into ZG/MC, unless you happen to prefer the Whiteout/Crackling Staff from AV or the Staff of the Ogre Magi. The trinket probably has the most long term novelty because it's the only item in the game that does what it does, but I decided against it because I don't really use the Voidwalker and hadn't for a long time when I finished this quest. So I'd suggest either the staff or the trinket, depending on how much you value random novelty.

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 06:11 PM Wrote:2. How much fire resistance should I have before I shoot for MC and BWL (and Ony?)?  Aside from fire resistance and level 60 what else do I need to join these raids?
For MC, to see Ragnaros die you probably want somewhere around 75 FR minimum as a warlock but the more you have the better. You should bring at least 3 GFPPs until you hit 150 or so. BWL probably requires at least 125 or so FR, but really it varies from guild to guild. Aside from this, you really want blues in all spots possible before you head into MC. A few greens in some spots (rings/trinkets in particular) is usually fine, but you should really put in the time to gear up so you can contribute before you start heading into MC.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that you really don't want many greens that have nothing but Fire Resistance on them. Gimping your stats so you have high FR isn't really the point. Also, when I say you want all blues, don't get the Dreadmist set unless you're going to upgrade it to Deathmist or something. You want +damage and stamina. Dreadmist doesn't have any +damage by default which makes it kinda crappy.

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 06:11 PM Wrote:3. I am currently specced to 31/3(improved imp)/8(heading for Shadowburn).

My current thoughts are:
a. 31(dark pact)/0/20
b. 30/0/21(ruin) 
If you really want an affliction based build (honestly, I really enjoy Affliction, although I recently respecced to Soul Link) you should go something like 31/8/11 (Affliction to Dark Pact, Improved Imp and Demonic Embrace in Demo and Shadowburn in Destruction). Demonic Embrace is teh rock. That's just a huge amount of stamina you're gaining and spirit matters none as a warlock, especially if you have a Dark Pact build. These affliction builds tend to be really good at soloing, but not necessarily as good when raiding/PVP-ing. If you're really looking to put up big numbers on the DamageMeters, you'll probably want to spec either 7/31/13 (Soul Link with Imp. Lifetap, Insta Corruption, and Shadowburn) or 0/31/20 (MD/Ruin). These tend to be the prevalent raiding builds because Master Demonology and Demonic Sacrifice are really useful for raiding. Another option if you're big into PVP is something involving Conflagration (20/0/31 is fairly common, picking up Nightfall in Affliction and Conflag). Honestly though, there are a LOT of viable warlock specs, just pick the one you enjoy the most.

Hope that was helpful.
Tichondrius
Arnath - UD Warlock (Tailoring/Herbalism)
Seirei - Troll Priest (Mining/Skinning)
Bhim - Tauren Warrior (Mining/Herbalism)
Alram,Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM Wrote:2. How much fire resistance should I have before I shoot for MC and BWL (and Ony?)?  Aside from fire resistance and level 60 what else do I need to join these raids?[right][snapback]107115[/snapback][/right]

End game MC and entry to BWL we urge folks to aim for 150FR if they are a caster. For Onyxia you can get away with having less but will want to bump stamina higher - there are focused runs we can do on Stormrage though to get your FR higher.

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM Wrote:1. On the Carpe Aurum forums there is a board entitled  What is ARP? What is ARC? And how does it matter to me?[right][snapback]107115[/snapback][/right]

ARP - Avarice Raid Points. ARC = Avarice Raid Council made up of three members from the big guilds LL/CA/Basin and two from House Harpell. Quark and I are the Lurker representatives with GG leaving soon.

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM Wrote:2. I have read over the point system on Carpe Aurum.
a.  Where is it posted? During the raid itself?"[right][snapback]107115[/snapback][/right]
The value of the item is sent out by a mod created by the ever brilliant Psybie (whatever Darian is paying that man he should double it) when the loot is announced. To win it you /t Psybie (or whoever is running it) and you shift click on the item you want to put in for. Then hit enter.

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM Wrote:So it will be impossible for me to win the 1st item that drops as I will have zero points. How many raids will I need to attend before I have any hope of winning something? Or could it possibly be a case where everyone else already has the same or better, and so I win a lot of stuff and go deep into negative points? [right][snapback]107115[/snapback][/right]

Actually no it wouldn't be impossible. You can win items at zero points if the others that are interested in it are more negative than you. We also have a new program (Zeta rule sometimes called Think of the Children TotC) to gear up the Forcom (Short for Forward Command) members where one member of each class of Recon (short for Reconaissance) will step out and the Forcom member gets any loot that folks don't need for only 15 points. When you get bigger you can post interest in joining the Recon raids on the CA boards and be considered for the Zeta rule on that run. Or you can sign up for the Forcom runs that fit your schedule.

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM Wrote:4. What are the usual and customary loot rules for 5 man runs of high level instances?

Need before greed.
Quote:QUOTE(Alram @ Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM)

1. On the Carpe Aurum forums there is a board entitled  What is ARP? What is ARC? And how does it matter to me?

ARP - Avarice Raid Points. ARC = Avarice Raid Council made up of three members from the big guilds LL/CA/Basin and two from House Harpell. Quark and I are the Lurker representatives with GG leaving soon.
So these raids do not have cumulative avarice points. They decide loot distibution by Tuftears rules? What about nonTuft non ARP? Is there any standard?

Quote:QUOTE(Alram @ Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM)

Need before greed.
So everyone doesn't pass on BoPs, but rolls need or greed or pass?
Tal was a little vague in places, so I'm going to come in with the clarity stick. ;)

Alram,Apr 13 2006, 07:11 PM Wrote:1. On the Carpe Aurum forums there is a board entitled  "ZG, AQ20, and other smaller raid signups which are not covered by ARP or managed by ARC."  What is ARP? What is ARC? And how does it matter to me?

Tal got the definitions right. They matter because it's what controls everything we do on the 40-man runs (as well as our basic policies for inter-guild activity).

Quote:2. I have read over the point system on Carpe Aurum.

"5. Loot found on a raid has a fixed point cost. This cost is determined by the raid leaders. Costs for known items will be posted. If costs are determined to need adjustment either up or down all changes will be retroactively applied to all raid participants."

a.  Where is it posted? During the raid itself?"

There is a sticky thread in the Swap Meet forum entitled "The Definitive ARP Points List" where we post the point cost, as agreed on by ARC, for each item we know about. The numbers there ARE subject to change periodically, as we will occasionally revisit the value we've placed on an item. (Quark is the official maintainer of that list, btw.)

Quote: (snip of loot rules) b.
So it will be impossible for me to win the 1st item that drops as I will have zero points.

Not technically correct, although for some classes very true in practice. For several months, none of our regular warriors was in positive points, which meant that "guest" warriors on raids tended to be result in a collective groan and me seeing a barrage of green text from Anadrol... :whistling: Early in our raiding careers, most of the old fart warriors lost key pieces of gear to folks we never even saw again, because we were in the hole and they were at zero. Not so much a concern anymore, as the folks who haven't raided at all yet are either not in BWL with the old farts, or are in MC with us but we just don't care anymore because we aren't after what they're after. ;)

Quote:How many raids will I need to attend before I have any hope of winning something? Or could it possibly be a case where everyone else already has the same or better, and so I win a lot of stuff and go deep into negative points?

It has been my observation that, at present, it is nearly impossible for a new raider to come on his/her first raid and not get at least a couple of items, unless items for that player's class just aren't dropping at all that night. Some warriors, for example, have indeed gone up to 500 points in the hole on their first 2-3 raids because everything "fell" to them.

Quote:4. What are the usual and customary loot rules for 5 man runs of high level instances?
...and...
Quote:So everyone doesn't pass on BoPs, but rolls need or greed or pass?

The "correct" answer is "whatever everyone agrees on." A frequent answer is "things generally fall to who needs them." The practical answer is generally "one need roll on a BOP blue/epic per run, unlimited need rolls on green BOPs (assuming you need them); pass otherwise, but if you need it, do speak up as the raid's liable to tell you to go ahead and take it. Roll greed on all BOEs unless you actually need it as a legit upgrade."

Quote:So these raids do not have cumulative avarice points. They decide loot distibution by Tuftears rules? What about nonTuft non ARP? Is there any standard?

Here, you're referring to the non-40 runs; Tuftears has a loose policy which he devised for his Zul'Gurub runs which the other 20-man raid leaders mostly seem to follow. However, caveat emptor on 20-man raids; each raid leader is free to utilize whatever system they wish. (It works both ways, of course; with the frequency of 20-man raids and the number of people willing to sponsor them, someone who runs them like an idiot will quickly find themselves with no signups. ;) )

Also, I don't think I ever properly welcomed you over to SR, Alram... good to have you over there, and I'll look forward to seeing you when I return from my exile. :lol:
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Loot rules for the 20 man runs will be announced at the start of the run.

If they aren't using Tuftstyle rules they are generally pretty much like the 5 mans. If you need it, you roll need. Most of the 5 mans don't care about 1 blue one set. If it's an upgrade and you'll use it, need it. If it is BoE, you greed it. In ZG, coins are generally just greeded. Bijou's are greeded till you win one then you pass. Some groups will still do the one set/one blue, but most of the 5 mans I'm on I just say, roll if it's and upgrade. Getting groups on Stormrage is generally not too hard so the place will be run again at some point and if one person gets lucky they'll generally go back and help you out so you can get more stuff too. But there isn't really anything set in stone or even guidelines for the 5 man or smaller raids. It's group leader/raid leader discretion. But as mentioned if I'm involved that is what I push for.

If you haven't done so, make sure you read the stickies on CA to get full access to all the boards there. If you don't have full access you only see 3 forums, there are more. I'm not telling you what to do because well the info is in stickied threads you can see. Current point values for MC/BWL (and AQ40 soon) items are in the Swap Meet/Want List Forum, which as mentioned you won't see if you haven't done what is asked in the stickied threads for new members.

I think tal has covered pretty much everything else. But as long as the loot drops it's pretty common for new people to get loot on their first runs now. As a warlock you could very easily go into your first MC run and walk out with 4 or 5 pieces of your Tier 1 set because warlocks are something we seem to be short of so they gear up fast. Heck you could likely get the bracers and the belt before you even go on a raid because I believe we still have some banked. :) Though honestly as one of the people who decides on bank material distribution I would likely deny the request till you had been on at least a few raids to know if you would even want to continue raiding (40 man raiding is not for everyone).
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Apr 14 2006, 12:09 AM Wrote:Loot rules for the 20 man runs will be announced at the start of the run.

If they aren't using Tuftstyle rules they are generally pretty much like the 5 mans. If you need it, you roll need.  Most of the 5 mans don't care about 1 blue one set.  If it's an upgrade and you'll use it, need it.  If it is BoE, you greed it.  In ZG, coins are generally just greeded.  Bijou's are greeded till you win one then you pass.  Some groups will still do the one set/one blue, but most of the 5 mans I'm on I just say, roll if it's and upgrade.  Getting groups on Stormrage is generally not too hard so the place will be run again at some point and if one person gets lucky they'll generally go back and help you out so you can get more stuff too.  But there isn't really anything set in stone or even guidelines for the 5 man or smaller raids.  It's group leader/raid leader discretion.  But as mentioned if I'm involved that is what I push for.

If you haven't done so, make sure you read the stickies on CA to get full access to all the boards there.  If you don't have full access you only see 3 forums, there are more.  I'm not telling you what to do because well the info is in stickied threads you can see.  Current point values for MC/BWL (and AQ40 soon) items are in the Swap Meet/Want List Forum, which as mentioned you won't see if you haven't done what is asked in the stickied threads for new members.
I think tal has covered pretty much everything else.  But as long as the loot drops it's pretty common for new people to get loot on their first runs now.  As a warlock you could very easily go into your first MC run and walk out with 4 or 5 pieces of your Tier 1 set because warlocks are something we seem to be short of so they gear up fast.  Heck you could likely get the bracers and the belt before you even go on a raid because I believe we still have some banked.  :)  Though honestly as one of the people who decides on bank material distribution I would likely deny the request till you had been on at least a few raids to know if you would even want to continue raiding (40 man raiding is not for everyone).
[right][snapback]107153[/snapback][/right]

5-man/10-man alliance runs are usually pretty common-sense about loot. Many times only one person really needs a particular bop blue, so that's simple. And if two of you need it equally, you can roll for it. Of course, if you've already snagged something and they haven't, you'll probably want to share a bit. It's all common-sense stuff that you've dealt with before, Alram, so it'll be easy for you.

--Mav
Alram,Apr 13 2006, 04:11 PM Wrote:1. I finished the level 50 quest. I am wondering which reward item to select. Both the staff and the chest armor would be upgrades, but eventually they will be replaced. The trinket is irreplaceable, but of limited utility. I tend to use the VW very selectively and prefer to have the imp or succubus out.

quest reward
Soul Harvester
Staff
(44.8 damage per second)
+16 Stamina
current gear
Sword of Serenity
One-Hand Sword
(30.0 damage per second)
+9 Stamina
+4 Spirit

Umbral Crystal
Held In Off-hand
+5 Stamina
Robes of Servitude

quest reward
Chest
75 Armor
+15 Stamina
+10 Intellect
current gear
Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe
Chest
55 Armor
+10 Stamina
+17 Intellect

quest reward
Abyss Shard
Trinket
10 sec cast
current gear

2. How much fire resistance should I have before I shoot for MC and BWL (and Ony?)?  Aside from fire resistance and level 60 what else do I need to join these raids?

My current thoughts are:
a. 31(dark pact)/0/20
b. 30/0/21(ruin) 

I'll go ahead and tackle the warlock questions since Tal, Darian, and GG covered the raiding info.

When it comes to the warlock 50 quest, you will outgrow the Soul Harvester and the Robe, but you will never out grow the trinket. There is nothing like it in the game and as such, if I were to pick, I would choose the trinket for it's uniqueness and the fact that it gives you a free VW every half hour.

For FR, you want to shoot for around 100 to 150 initially. You will find items within MC that will boost your FR higher.

For end game raiding, the two typical builds are SM/Ruin (30/0/21) and MD/Ruin (0/30/21). I prefer SM/Ruin because of the multiple instant DoTs, Improved Life Tap, Suppresion, and a few others in the Affliction Tree.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Alram,Apr 13 2006, 06:11 PM Wrote:5. What other questions should I be asking? Incidentally I have read Mirajj's post on raiding published here at the LL.

The other folks have covered it pretty well. I'd suggest joining your class channel (AntiSocial is it's name, IIRC) and get to know the warlocks you'll be raiding with. Like most folks, we tend to hang out in our class channels even when not raiding. To talk about super sekrit class things. ;)

Another thing that'll do is let you get to know your CL's. They are the folks who have been around, and know what's going on in regards to the class specific things you'd want to know about a particular instance. Banish order, hunter pet helpers, Garr...all sorts of things like that.

As well, most folks in GEM are pretty helpful. If you need a specific hand with something, you can always ask some of us "old farts". If we don't know the answer, we know the direction to point you in. ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:I took the Soul Harvester from this quest. It's probably the best weapon you'll see before you head into ZG/MC, unless you happen to prefer the Whiteout/Crackling Staff from AV or the Staff of the Ogre Magi.

Quote:Take the trinket. It won't take you long to replace the staff or chestpiece, but that trinket will remain useful even after a hundred days /played on your character.

I have decided against the trinket. It is absolutely unique, but I doubt I will need to use it more than once. I just don't use VW much, and when I do, mana is usually not a problem.

If I take the staff I gain 2 Stamina, Improved chance to hit with spells by 1%,
Increased damage done by Shadow spells and effects by up to 7. I lose +4 Spirit.

If I take the chest piece I gain 5 stamina, Increased damage done by Fire spells and effects by up to 23, Increased damage done by Shadow spells and effects by up to 23. I lose 7 intellect.

The best short term gain would apppear to be the chest piece. Rod of the Ogre Magi is about as good as the Soul Harvester, and possibly as easy to get as Robe of Winter Night or Robe of Everlasting Night. So, I think I will go for the chest for the increased damage and stamina and sadly forgo the cool looks of the Soul Harvester.
Quote:The other folks have covered it pretty well. I'd suggest joining your class channel (AntiSocial is it's name, IIRC) and get to know the warlocks you'll be raiding with. Like most folks, we tend to hang out in our class channels even when not raiding. To talk about super sekrit class things.
I didn't know such a channel existed. Thanks.
Thank you to everyone else who has posted a response to my questions.