Upcoming Battleground Changes
Quark,Apr 24 2006, 06:10 AM Wrote:Assuming equal population spreads (which there aren't, some servers actually favor horde quite a bit), the advantage would be that things that aren't up, will be up.[right][snapback]108091[/snapback][/right]
The catch, Quark, is that most PvE servers where the "carebears" like you and I play have a distinct Alliance offset. I don't think they'd be linking PvP and PvE server players together - or would they?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Apr 25 2006, 02:18 AM Wrote:The catch, Quark, is that most PvE servers where the "carebears" like you and I play have a distinct Alliance offset.  I don't think they'd be linking PvP and PvE server players together - or would they?

-Bolty
[right][snapback]108133[/snapback][/right]

True, in that case we just have to hope other servers are more balanced than ours :)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Bolty,Apr 24 2006, 11:18 PM Wrote:The catch, Quark, is that most PvE servers where the "carebears" like you and I play have a distinct Alliance offset.  I don't think they'd be linking PvP and PvE server players together - or would they?

-Bolty

/flex
/cracks knuckles
Mmmm tasty carebears!
oldmandennis,Apr 25 2006, 02:30 PM Wrote:/flex
/cracks knuckles
Mmmm tasty carebears!
[right][snapback]108167[/snapback][/right]

That's why I rerolled PvE Horde! I get to grind in peace and then have a zero-wait BG experience against 'tasty carebears'. Maybe it'll get boring, but so far, it's a blast!
Bolty,Apr 25 2006, 03:18 AM Wrote:The catch, Quark, is that most PvE servers where the "carebears" like you and I play have a distinct Alliance offset.  I don't think they'd be linking PvP and PvE server players together - or would they?

-Bolty

I don't see why they wouldn't.

The assumption with cross-server battlegrounds is that the difference between a launch server and a 1 month old server is not a concern. They're still going to pit your group against either a fully BWL geared group from the launch server or the barely blue, not even tier 0 players of the 2 month old server, or some mix of both. The epic geared players, if they're coordinated, are going to steamroll the tier 0/-1 players, no matter how good and coordinated they are. With that in the developers' mind, why would the newbie PvE players fighting against epic'd PvP players, or vice versa, matter? Does it really matter which server they come from?

"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Skill and teamwork beat epic items, especially when for a lot of classes the honor rewards are just as good if not better then epics.
oldmandennis,Apr 26 2006, 12:00 AM Wrote:Skill and teamwork beat epic items, especially when for a lot of classes the honor rewards are just as good if not better then epics.
[right][snapback]108201[/snapback][/right]

Say what? Skill and teamwork beat epic items, especially when you have the blue/epic items from the honor rewards? No really?

Roll a good group of 10 people in level 60 greens/blues against a group of purples in WSG and you will likely get run over. This has been exactly my experience since I'm in a guild that has rerolled on a new server.
/shrug

I can tell right now this is not a winable argument. All I can say is I take _off_ most of my purples when I PvP.

Maybe you are playing other good players on a voice chat server? Maybe your random greens and blues are not a particularly pvp centered set, and I'm comparing to 70blue/30purple that I have specifically selected for the way I pvp?

fractaled,Apr 25 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:Say what? Skill and teamwork beat epic items, especially when you have the blue/epic items from the honor rewards? No really?

Roll a good group of 10 people in level 60 greens/blues against a group of purples in WSG and you will likely get run over. This has been exactly my experience since I'm in a guild that has rerolled on a new server.
[right][snapback]108203[/snapback][/right]
oldmandennis,Apr 25 2006, 10:26 PM Wrote:I can tell right now this is not a winable argument.  All I can say is I take _off_ most of my purples when I PvP.

Agreed. I only wear one piece of BWL loot when I PvP -- a belt with +damage/healing on it. Otherwise, most of my stuff is PvP honor system gear, battleground reputation gear, or stuff from Zul'Gurub or AQ20.

Another effect of cross server battlegrounds is that more people will be able to grind up for epic PvP battleground reputation gear much easier, since they will be able to get in the battlegrounds of their choice much faster and whenever they want to go.
Hehe, I agree with Dennis and Mongo on this one, but I think it's a kind of moot point. In my experience, most of the people with "zomg epics" tend to pvp in premade groups using a vent/TS server. :) However, on those rare occasions when they aren't, an organized group will, in my experience, roll them.

PS. Having two (three I guess, since I don't wear any of my instance gear when I pvp) healers say that they don't wear their mc/bwl gear is hardly surprising, nor that pertinent. However, if a warrior can come in here and say that they don't use their Ashkandi then I think we'll be onto something. :shuriken:

PPS. As AQ40 opens up to more guilds I sense a world of hurt coming, given that a lot of the gear there seems aimed a more PvP oriented playstyle.

edit. I'm not meaning to sound negative here. I think that linked battlegrounds are a good change, since the increased playbase will allow a) more battlegrounds and B) some sort of filtering system that matches groups. The potential gains from this are pretty big, and I'm excited by the idea of a genuine and meaningful ladder system being introduced at some stage. Even if I do have to wait for the expansion. :D
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Quark,Apr 25 2006, 07:04 AM Wrote:True, in that case we just have to hope other servers are more balanced than ours :)
[right][snapback]108144[/snapback][/right]
Aren't pretty much all servers more balanced than ours? :)

If this cuts down on the BG wait times, then I'm all for it. I find that I just can't get into a BG anymore... if I have a significant amount of time, I end up farming for the first hour of the queue, and as soon as I agree to help someone in an instance, the BG invite comes up.
FWIW, my guild on Tich, which by NO stretch of the imagination has great geared players (I'm the ONLY person in more than 4+ epix that didn't buy their account <_<), amazingly skilled PvP'rs, or a lot of time working together (Only been in existence since November) has had some amazingly stunning games against the top organized Alli CP teams (Mars, Noto & Advent).

I can only speak to the games I've been in... but we took on Noto's team, which is mostly G.Marshal weapons and BWL gear, with 15 of us on TS, using blue and greens, and won 2000-1970... the cheering after that match had the Campus Security called one of our members. :D We've also taken 3 nodes from Mars when the other 6 Horde in the game with us are screaming at us for not helping them camp the farm (The favored tactic to "at least get SOME honor from the game"). Coordination & tactics CAN overcome lack of gear, it's just an uphill battle... and yes, I'm trying to disprove a valid point with specific ancedotal evidence, lemme alone! :P

I fully agree that inter-faction will dimish the adrenaline and thrill of facing off against superiorly geared and high performing nemisi on the other side of the fence. (I know the moment I see Rootbeer I'm going straight for him, despite the fact that he's a leet mage and I'm a prot warrior :lol:). But, if it allows them to move beyond Zerg, CTF & Basin, let's have some fun with it, eh?

Regards.
~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Frag,Apr 27 2006, 11:02 PM Wrote:FWIW, my guild on Tich, which by NO stretch of the imagination has great geared players (I'm the ONLY person in more than 4+ epix that didn't buy their account&nbsp; <_<), amazingly skilled PvP'rs, or a lot of time working together (Only been in existence since November) has had some amazingly stunning games against the top organized Alli CP teams (Mars, Noto & Advent).&nbsp;

I can only speak to the games I've been in... but we took on Noto's team, which is mostly G.Marshal weapons and BWL gear, with 15 of us on TS, using blue and greens, and won 2000-1970... the cheering after that match had the Campus Security called one of our members.&nbsp; :D&nbsp; We've also taken 3 nodes from Mars when the other 6 Horde in the game with us are screaming at us for not helping them camp the farm (The favored tactic to "at least get SOME honor from the game").&nbsp; Coordination & tactics CAN overcome lack of gear, it's just an uphill battle... and yes, I'm trying to disprove a valid point with specific ancedotal evidence, lemme alone!&nbsp; :P

I fully agree that inter-faction will dimish the adrenaline and thrill of facing off against superiorly geared and high performing nemisi on the other side of the fence. (I know the moment I see Rootbeer I'm going straight for him, despite the fact that he's a leet mage and I'm a prot warrior&nbsp; :lol:). But, if it allows them to move beyond Zerg, CTF & Basin, let's have some fun with it, eh?

Regards.
~Frag&nbsp; B)
[right][snapback]108443[/snapback][/right]

Congrats on the win against Noto! Those are always fun games. But I have to say that Mars and Advent definitely do not qualify as top Alliance teams (Noto and Insomnia would qualify instead). I've been in games with pugs where we've beaten them, and Horde organized groups regularly beat them 4-1 and sometimes five cap them. The Mars team is designed purely to beat pugs and have no clue how to play against organized groups. To me, the Mars team just shows how badly flawed the honor system is in that such a group of players could get Grand Marshal simply due to time spent in battlegrounds without learning to actually play.
MongoJerry,Apr 28 2006, 12:01 AM Wrote:Congrats on the win against Noto!&nbsp; Those are always fun games.&nbsp; But I have to say that Mars and Advent definitely do not qualify as top Alliance teams (Noto and Insomnia would qualify instead).&nbsp; I've been in games with pugs where we've beaten them, and Horde organized groups regularly beat them 4-1 and sometimes five cap them.&nbsp; The Mars team is designed purely to beat pugs and have no clue how to play against organized groups.&nbsp; To me, the Mars team just shows how badly flawed the honor system is in that such a group of players could get Grand Marshal simply due to time spent in battlegrounds without learning to actually play.
[right][snapback]108453[/snapback][/right]

A shaman hit rank 14 on KJ a while back. Now, this particular shaman's a running joke. He never healed. He was the shaman retnoob. Oh, sure, he got alot of honor and kills just rushing in with CL and shock spam, but I never once saw, or even heard of him, attempt to cast a healing spell. He was free honor if you caught him alone- which was spectacularly easy to do as he had a habit of charging well defended nodes solo.

Rank is time, not ability. :wacko:
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Apr 28 2006, 10:46 PM Wrote:A shaman hit rank 14 on KJ a while back. Now, this particular shaman's a running joke. He never healed. He was the shaman retnoob. Oh, sure, he got alot of honor and kills just rushing in with CL and shock spam, but I never once saw, or even heard of him, attempt to cast a healing spell. He was free honor if you caught him alone- which was spectacularly easy to do as he had a habit of charging well defended nodes solo.

Rank is time, not ability.&nbsp; :wacko:
[right][snapback]108501[/snapback][/right]

Reminds me of a rank 14 night elf hunter on Gorefiend, whose unbeatable battle strategy is to shoot stuff until it's too close, then walk backwards slowly until one of the two die.
Rinnhart,Apr 29 2006, 09:46 AM Wrote:A shaman hit rank 14 on KJ a while back. Now, this particular shaman's a running joke. He never healed. He was the shaman retnoob. Oh, sure, he got alot of honor and kills just rushing in with CL and shock spam, but I never once saw, or even heard of him, attempt to cast a healing spell. He was free honor if you caught him alone- which was spectacularly easy to do as he had a habit of charging well defended nodes solo.

Rank is time, not ability.&nbsp; :wacko:
[right][snapback]108501[/snapback][/right]
Reminds me of a warlock on my server who was notorious for standing at the cross roads between the farm, black smith and lumber mill. He'd just stand there, spinning in circles and casting immolate. :) Oddly enough he only did this in the mornings. Of an evening he was quite a good player. :shuriken:
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Watto44,Apr 28 2006, 04:50 PM Wrote:Reminds me of a warlock on my server who was notorious for standing at the cross roads between the farm, black smith and lumber mill. He'd just stand there, spinning in circles and casting immolate. :) Oddly enough he only did this in the mornings. Of an evening he was quite a good player.&nbsp; :shuriken:
[right][snapback]108509[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps a Chinese (or other nationality) cp farmer was playing his character at those times? That is one service some shops provide.