Alliance Race - What HSN'T Been Suggested
Just looking over a list of "intelligent races" from WoWwiki and seeing which races have not been discussed at length as possibilities.

Earthen - The origins of the Dwarven race, perhaps a group has been locked away and has not seen the same changes to their bodies. We've got Ulduman, Uldum, and Ulduar in the lore as possible locations, though the first of the three wouldn't happen.

Leprechaun - Supposedly "new" to Kalimdor, having just arrived from an island off the coast. There has been zero talk of this race.

Korred - Enemies of the Leprechauns, though I wasn't able to dig up much info on them.

Now, the second and third would be a sufficiently surprising addition. No one would see them coming. Whether or not the Korred or Leprechauns are "leafy" is unknown to me. But if it was one of these two races, there would easily be a way for the Horde to have an ally in the other, and thus a reason to fight them.

Edit: That's what I get for a misclick when typing the topic. *sighs*
See you in Town,
-Z
Earthen seems unlikely for the reasons mentioned on the WoW Wiki speculation roundup--Dwarves came from the earthen, So why put them in the same faction? They also look a LOT alike.

Leprechauns ...well, the Leprechauns seem like a joke that made it into the monster manual ;). And the alliance already has gnomes, so you'd just have even tinier rogues running about. Who will hate the gnomes if the Tauren come to hate the Leprechauns more? WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE GNOMES?!

ahem.

Korred would be a possibility, I guess. But maybe there's a joke in that name that I'm just missing?
Monkey,May 4 2006, 02:38 PM Wrote:Korred would be a possibility, I guess. But maybe there's a joke in that name that I'm just missing?
[right][snapback]108974[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I don't see Earthen or Leprechauns to be real options; just listed them since they were "intelligent" races that haven't gotten much mention.

The Korred, on the other hand, show promise in that I can't find a single thing about them. If they're just some vague "guys on some island out there", Blizzard would be free to make them whatever they wish for a playable race.
See you in Town,
-Z
The new Alliance race has been revealed!

Drumroll...

Mini-diablos!
Normally I despise "friend of a friend of a friend" style rumors, but I found this one to be interesting enough that I hope it might actually be true. One of my guild mates has a cousin that works for Blizzard, and he claims the new Alliance race will be the Eredar. I know it sounds far fetched, but we already have undead "allied" with the nature loving tauren, and we'll soon have elves and trolls in the same faction. Blizzard has a knack for spinning the lore to turn would be foes into unlikely allies, so it isn't too hard to imagine a scenario where a rogue group of Eredar rebel against Kil'jaeden. The idea of running around as a reformed demon makes my inner-warlock very happy. In any event, we'll all find out what the new
Alliance race is during E3 next weekend.

p.s. I've been lurking the lounge forums on and off for years, but I've never bothered to register. So, hi everyone! =)
Tempestria - 34 Human Warlock - Stormrage
Threnody - 60 Undead Warlock - Dalvengyr (retired)
Zenobia - 60 Tauren Shaman - Dalvengyr (retired)
I have seen that pic of the Eredar brought up on the blizz forums , I really have to disbelieve those are the new race . Why ? Because they look so cool every man woman and child would roll one , thus imbalancing Alliance / Horde numbers even more :P
Take care
Threnody,May 5 2006, 06:45 AM Wrote:Normally I despise "friend of a friend of a friend" style rumors, but I found this one to be interesting enough that I hope it might actually be true. One of my guild mates has a cousin that works for Blizzard, and he claims the new Alliance race will be the Eredar. I know it sounds far fetched, but we already have undead "allied" with the nature loving tauren, and we'll soon have elves and trolls in the same faction. Blizzard has a knack for spinning the lore to turn would be foes into unlikely allies, so it isn't too hard to imagine a scenario where a rogue group of Eredar rebel against Kil'jaeden. The idea of running around as a reformed demon makes my inner-warlock very happy. In any event, we'll all find out what the new
p.s. I've been lurking the lounge forums on and off for years, but I've never bothered to register. So, hi everyone! =)
[right][snapback]109012[/snapback][/right]

Welcome!

I recognize your username from somewhere. A novel or something. But I can't put my finger on it...
Pesmerga,May 5 2006, 07:05 AM Wrote:I recognize your username from somewhere.  A novel or something.  But I can't put my finger on it...

If you saw my name in a book, it was probably in Merriam-Webster or a smiliar book chock-full of definitions. A threnody is a song of lamentation for the dead, which I think is a fitting name for an undead warlock.

Sadly the name isn't as creative or original as I had hoped. My guild recently transferred from Hellscream to Dalvengyr during the Alleria/Hellscream/Whisperwind migration. After arriving on my new server I encountered several people that were worried that I was the Threnody from Whisperwind, who appearantly earned a very bad reputation as the raid leader of one of the big horde guilds. :blink:
Threnody,May 5 2006, 08:29 AM Wrote:If you saw my name in a book, it was probably in Merriam-Webster or a smiliar book chock-full of definitions. A threnody is a song of lamentation for the dead, which I think is a fitting name for an undead warlock.

Sadly the name isn't as creative or original as I had hoped.  My guild recently transferred from Hellscream to Dalvengyr during the Alleria/Hellscream/Whisperwind migration. After arriving on my new server I encountered several people that were worried that I was the Threnody from Whisperwind, who appearantly earned a very bad reputation as the raid leader of one of the big horde guilds.  :blink:
[right][snapback]109019[/snapback][/right]

D'oh. That sucks (the whole people thinking you were someone else thing)

However, I found out where I remember the name from. Was the name of a character in a Piers Anthony, Xanth book. Daughter of a Demon and a King. :P
Threnody,May 5 2006, 03:45 AM Wrote:Normally I despise "friend of a friend of a friend" style rumors, but I found this one to be interesting enough that I hope it might actually be true. One of my guild mates has a cousin that works for Blizzard, and he claims the new Alliance race will be the Eredar. I know it sounds far fetched, but we already have undead "allied" with the nature loving tauren, and we'll soon have elves and trolls in the same faction. Blizzard has a knack for spinning the lore to turn would be foes into unlikely allies, so it isn't too hard to imagine a scenario where a rogue group of Eredar rebel against Kil'jaeden. The idea of running around as a reformed demon makes my inner-warlock very happy. In any event, we'll all find out what the new
[right][snapback]109012[/snapback][/right]

Unfortuneately, I highly doubt it. Reason being, like the Worgen, this would worsen the population imbalance even further (and I was one of those people during the creation stages of D2 crying for a Succubus character as one of the original 5 to put a redemption theme on a character).

I'm sticking with the race that I've been sticking with since the Blood Elves were announced for Horde, that being the Dranei. It gives the Alliance a race that is ugly and wouldn't create a further population imbalance.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,May 5 2006, 10:13 AM Wrote:I'm sticking with the race that I've been sticking with since the Blood Elves were announced for Horde, that being the Dranei.  It gives the Alliance a race that is ugly and wouldn't create a further population imbalance.

I vaguely recall one of the CM's saying that the race choice would be obvious but unexpected. Everyone is expecting Dranei, so I'm hoping that they're ruled out by that statement. As for fixing the balance between Alliance and Horde, I do have to agree that making the new Alliance race a bunch of disgruntled, mutated, prune-faced humanoids will do wonders for the balance. ;)
An interesting angle on the New Alliance speculation that hasn't been discussed much is Hatred, specifically by the Blood Elves. Sure, the humans and the Night Elves won't like the Blood Elves, but they're both busy hating orcs, trolls, and undead. In the old AV system, we saw:

Orcs vs. Dwarves
Humans vs. Undead
Night Elves vs. Darkspear Trolls
Gnomes vs. Tauren

And there are other lore-based hatreds out there as well (Human/Orc, Night Elf/Orc, Troll/Dwarf, Undead/Anything Living). Lore-based hatred for the Blood Elves is pretty easy: Humans and Night Elves back again.

**Eredar do offer a *damn* good reason for everyone (horde and alliance) to hate them.
**Worgan don't have any enemies, really (Sons of Arugal notwithstanding); Perhaps the Blood Elves would view them as 'impure' or corrupted.
**Forest Trolls have a long bloody history against the Blood Elves; Perhaps some lore about a falling out with Thrall?
**Draenei could have some conflict with the Blood Elves because of Illidan, but no known conflict exists with the rest of the Horde.
**Kobolds have lost many candles to the both the Horde and the Blood Elves.

Someone with deeper lore knowledge have thoughts on this?

Edit(s): Stupid sentences requiring grammatical structure!
Monkey,May 5 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:**Draenei could have some conflict with the Blood Elves because of Illidan, but no known conflict exists with the rest of the Horde.[right][snapback]109074[/snapback][/right]

That whole nearly driving them to extinction thing might make Draenei hate the orcs.
Monkey,May 5 2006, 07:56 PM Wrote:An interesting angle on the New Alliance speculation that hasn't been discussed much is Hatred, specifically by the Blood Elves. Sure, the humans and the Night Elves won't like the Blood Elves, but they're both busy hating orcs, trolls, and undead. In the old AV system, we saw:

Orcs vs. Dwarves
Humans vs. Undead
Night Elves vs. Darkspear Trolls
Gnomes vs. Tauren

And there are other lore-based hatreds out there as well (Human/Orc, Night Elf/Orc, Troll/Dwarf, Undead/Anything Living). Lore-based hatred for the Blood Elves is pretty easy: Humans and Night Elves back again.

**Eredar do offer a *damn* good reason for everyone (horde and alliance) to hate them.
**Worgan don't have any enemies, really (Sons of Arugal notwithstanding); Perhaps the Blood Elves would view them as 'impure' or corrupted.
**Forest Trolls have a long bloody history against the Blood Elves; Perhaps some lore about a falling out with Thrall?
**Draenei could have some conflict with the Blood Elves because of Illidan, but no known conflict exists with the rest of the Horde.
**Kobolds have lost many candles to the both the Horde and the Blood Elves.

Someone with deeper lore knowledge have thoughts on this?

Edit(s): Stupid sentences requiring grammatical structure!
[right][snapback]109074[/snapback][/right]

I think the problem with this reasoning was pointed out by yourself - in the Lore, the major enemies of the Blood Elves are Humans, who betrayed them, and to some extent Night Elves. Both of those races are already existing in the Alliance. Thus it goes to reason that whatever race will join alliance, it will be because of some existing hatred between the new race and one of the existing races of the Horde, unless there exists some new piece of Lore that was not yet revealed to us by Blizzard – but for now, let’s assume that there are no additional twists in the story of the Blood Elves alignment with Horde - to simplify, they joined because they hate Alliance, who betrayed them.

So given that Blood Elves joined because of their hatred for Humans/Night Elves, the new Alliance race will probably be in conflict with one or two of the major races in the Horde, most likely Orcs. This narrows the possibilities significantly – for now I can think of only 2 reasonable choices of races that are openly in conflict with Orcs – Forest Trolls, and Draenai. Forest Trolls are an unlikely choice, since they don’t exactly like Humans/Elves either, but the other choice fits quite well with everyone’s expectations of the new race.

MongoJerry,May 5 2006, 04:07 PM Wrote:That whole nearly driving them to extinction thing might make Draenei hate the orcs.
[right][snapback]109075[/snapback][/right]

What's a little extinction between friends, though?
A guildy's suggestion: "The new alliance race is your mother, Comm."

I lol'd.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek