Updated Mage Talent Trees
The mage talent trees, along with the mage talent calculator, have been updated. The changes are quite remarkable.

Quote:Arcane

Tier 1

Arcane Subtlety - Ranks 2 - Reduces your target's resistance to all your spells by 5/10 and all of your Arcane spells cause 20/40% less threat edit Reduced ranks, aggro reduce effects arcane only

Tier 2

Wand Specialization - Ranks 2 - Requires 5 points in Arcane Talents - Increases your damage with Wands by 13/25% edit reduced to 2 ranks

Magic Absorption - Ranks 5 - When you resist a spell, you regain 1/2/3/4/5% of your max. mana and increases all resistances by 2/4/6/8/10 edit New ability

Tier 3

Improved Arcane Explosion - Ranks 3 - Requires 10 points in Arcane Talents - Increases the critical strike chance of your Arcane Explosion spell by an additional 2/4/6% edit reduced to 3 ranks, max crit % increased.

Fire

Tier 3

Burning Soul - Ranks 2 - Requires 10 points in Fire Talents - Gives your fire spells a 35/70% chance to not lose casting time when you take damage and reduces threat by 15/30%. edit added threat reduction

tier 4

Improved Scorch - Ranks 3 - Requires 15 points in Fire Talents - Your Scorch spells have a 33/66/100% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Fire damage. This vulnerability increase the Fire damage dealt to your target by 3% and lasts 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times. edit increased vulnerability effect to 3%

Frost

Tier 1

Frost Warding - Ranks 2 - Requires 5 points in Frost Talents - Increases the armor and resistances given by your Frost Armor and Ice Armor spells by 15/30%. In addition, gives your Frost Ward a 10% chance to reflect Frost spells and effects while active. edit moved tiers: up 1 slot, left 1 slot

Elemental Focus - Ranks 3 - Increases chance to hit with Fire and Frost spells by 2/4/6% edit new ability in place of Permafrost(moved)

Tier 2

Frostbite - Rank 3 - Requires 5 points in Frost Talents - Gives your Chill effects a 5/10/15% chance to freeze the target for 5 sec. edit moved tiers: right 1 slot (to replace forst warding)

Improved Frost Nova - Ranks 2 - Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by 2/4 sec. edit moved tiers: down 1 slot, right 2

Permafrost - Ranks 3 - Requires 5 points in Frost - Increases the duration of your Chill effects by 1/2/3 sec and reduces the target's speed by an additional 4/7/10%. edit moved tiers: down 1 slot, right 1 (under Imp. Bliz.)

Tier 4

Frost Channeling - Ranks 3 - Requires 15 points in Frost Talents - Reduces the mana cost of your frost spells by 5/10/15% and reduces threat caused by Frost spells by 10/20/30%. edit added aggro reduction

Shatter - Ranks 5 - Requires 15 points in Frost Talents and 2 points in Imp. Frost Nova - Increases the critical strike chance of all your spells against frozen targets by 10/20/30/40/50%. edit Changed prereq. from Frostbite to Imp. Frost Nova

Tier 6

Winter's Chill - Ranks 5 - Requires 25 points in Frost Talents - Frost spells cause a debuff that increases chance to crit with frost effects by 2%, which stacks up to 5 times edit New functionality

Tier 7

Ice Barrier - Ranks 1 - Requires 30 points in Frost Talents and 1 point in Ice Block 305 mana/instant/30 sec cooldown - Instantly shields you, absorbing 454 damage. Lasts 1 min. While the shield holds, spells will not be interrupted. Now stacks with PW: Shield and gains 10% of +Frost dmg gear. Absorb effects now prioritized over Mana Shield. edit added functionality
Hmm looks like they gave the community most of what they wanted. I wonder if they made them too powerful with respect to warlocks, especially with a shadow heavy dungeon coming up?
oldmandennis,May 10 2006, 03:06 PM Wrote:Hmm looks like they gave the community most of what they wanted.  I wonder if they made them too powerful with respect to warlocks, especially with a shadow heavy dungeon coming up?
[right][snapback]109537[/snapback][/right]

It's going to be very frost heavy, too, from the looks of it.
MongoJerry,May 10 2006, 02:12 PM Wrote:It's going to be very frost heavy, too, from the looks of it.
[right][snapback]109541[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but locks rely on shadow in a way that mages don't on frost. Their fire choices are AOE, 1/2DOT with really poor DPS and terrible DPM if you spam it, a spell on a 1 min cooldown, an aggro magnet, or just letting their imp go to town while they /afk.
MongoJerry,May 10 2006, 04:31 PM Wrote:the mage talent calculator
[right][snapback]109528[/snapback][/right]
Hmm, I've tried several times, even clearing my cache, but that does not seem to reflect the changes. Is it still the old calculator for everyone else? The Wowhead calculator seems to show the changes.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,May 10 2006, 07:33 PM Wrote:Hmm, I've tried several times, even clearing my cache, but that does not seem to reflect the changes.  Is it still the old calculator for everyone else?  The Wowhead calculator seems to show the changes.
[right][snapback]109555[/snapback][/right]

Tseric says:
Quote:The new revisions might not go into the talent calculator until after E3. It's pretty much me and Drok'Thul in the office and neither of us know web design. Hopefully, we can get it updated in the next few days. Until then, I tried to spell out the changes and movement as well as I could in the editied post.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,May 10 2006, 05:57 PM Wrote:Tseric says:
[right][snapback]109558[/snapback][/right]

Doh, my bad. I should've checked the calculator to make sure it was updated. In my defence, I saw the post about the mage talent changes when I was just a couple minutes from running out the door.

The changes sound interesting, though. I hope this means some changes will come to shamans, too -- maybe throwing the enhancement tree a bone or two.
I am liking this quite a bit. A 30 percent aggro reduction on a spell that's already high DPS, and can get an extra 10 percent spell crit from Winter's Chill is hilarious and awesome. And Ice Barrier is definitly looking better, now.