Hidden Shrine
Hureg was very nice to me and gave me a Thinking Cap :) (THANKS ALOT!) so here is my question, when i find a hidden shrine, should i only equip the cap? would that give me a 100% chance to get the extra 10% dur? or should i equip the cap and another random item? that would give me a 50% chance? i guess it would be better to equip 4 things then 2 then... as that would give me a 75% to get the extra dur... but what happends if the Thinking Cap is the item that loose 10% dur (when it only has 1 dur) will i loose it or will it still have 1 dur?

btw hidden shrines doessn't effect items in my inventory, right?
[Image: spinalsig3xy1.gif]
Equip all of your usual gear, that's the best way imo.

Hidden Shrine cannot destroy an item.

Affects only items that you wear.
Spinal,May 12 2006, 01:10 PM Wrote:Hureg was very nice to me and gave me a  Thinking Cap :) (THANKS ALOT!) so here is my question, when i find a hidden shrine, should i only equip the cap? would that give me a 100% chance to get the extra 10% dur? or should i equip the cap and another random item? that would give me a 50% chance? i guess it would be better to equip 4 things then 2 then... as that would give me a 75% to get the extra dur... but what happends if the  Thinking Cap is the item that loose 10% dur (when it only has 1 dur) will i loose it or will it still have 1 dur?

btw hidden shrines doessn't effect items in my inventory, right?
[right][snapback]109708[/snapback][/right]

Hidden shrines work by increaseing all equiped items (that are not undestructible) durability by 10%. It then pick one of the equiped item at random and lower its durability by 20% (for an end effect of -10%). SO if you only have one item, it will for sure be picked for reduction. Thus the best strategy is to equip as many other items as possible together with your Thinking Cap. I usually go and buy some junk items for the other slots unless I have some other items I want to attempt to raise the durability on as well.

If the item picked for losing durability will have its durability go below 1%, it will not be destroyed, it will simply set the durability to 1% anyway.

And no, it won't affect any item in your inventory.

You may want to read up about the bug with uninitilized random seeds affecting shrines as well since it affects what slot get picked for reduction. Either search on the forums or look for my Guide which should also explain it, although perhaps not in such a technical way. If I recall correctly, it basically makes the shield slot the most probable to get the reduction.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,May 12 2006, 12:25 PM Wrote:Hidden shrines work by increaseing all equiped items (that are not undestructible) durability by 10%. It then pick one of the equiped item at random and lower its durability by 20% (for an end effect of -10%). SO if you only have one item, it will for sure be picked for reduction. Thus the best strategy is to equip as many other items as possible together with your Thinking Cap. I usually go and buy some junk items for the other slots unless I have some other items I want to attempt to raise the durability on as well.

If the item picked for losing durability will have its durability go below 1%, it will not be destroyed, it will simply set the durability to 1% anyway.

You may want to read up about the bug with uninitilized random seeds affecting shrines as well since it affects what slot get picked for reduction. Either search on the forums or look for my Guide which should also explain it, although perhaps not in such a technical way. If I recall correctly, it basically makes the shield slot the most probable to get the reduction.
[right][snapback]109711[/snapback][/right]
Thanks for the information, that was exacly what i wanted to know :)
Jarulf,May 12 2006, 12:25 PM Wrote:Hidden shrines work by increaseing all equiped items (that are not undestructible) durability by 10%. It then pick one of the equiped item at random and lower its durability by 20% (for an end effect of -10%). SO if you only have one item, it will for sure be picked for reduction. Thus the best strategy is to equip as many other items as possible together with your Thinking Cap. I usually go and buy some junk items for the other slots unless I have some other items I want to attempt to raise the durability on as well.

[right][snapback]109711[/snapback][/right]

Nit: 20 points, not 20%. Same for all other places where % is used.

To elaborate on the seeding bug: Shield-Armor-Weapon-Helm.
[vL]Kp,May 12 2006, Wrote:Nit: 20 points, not 20%.  Same for all other places where % is used.

To elaborate on the seeding bug: Shield-Armor-Weapon-Helm.
[right][snapback]109741[/snapback][/right]
so it's always shield first then? if so i guess it would be a good thing to put on all the best stuff + a crappy shield?

thanks for the info :)
Spinal,May 12 2006, 05:54 PM Wrote:so it's always shield first then? if so i guess it would be a good thing to put on all the best stuff + a crappy shield?

thanks for the info :)
[right][snapback]109750[/snapback][/right]

No, it's not always shield first, but there is a bug in the game initialization (discovered by Jarulf after a long, long time) which makes the shrine hit the shield first (or armor first if equipped with a bow or other two-handed weapon) if you haven't entered enough levels to properly randomize the shrine. The same bug explains why enchanted shrines tend to lower the level of your chain lightning.

Whether or not you should take advantage of this bug is an ethical issue. I recommend that you just equip all your best (non-indestructible) items before hitting a hidden shrine (if you are a rogue, equip your trusty bow, otherwise equip your shield and one-handed weapon, unless you are playing some sort of warrior or mage variant who uses a two-handed weapon to reduce his effectiveness) . In the long run, this will work to your benefit (unless you have a really good shield and don't play constantly ;) ).
Thecla,May 13 2006, 03:49 AM Wrote:No, it's not always shield first, but there is a bug in the game initialization (discovered by Jarulf after a long, long time) which makes the shrine hit the shield first (or armor first if equipped with a bow or other two-handed weapon) if you haven't entered enough levels to properly randomize the shrine. The same bug explains why enchanted shrines tend to lower the level of your chain lightning.

Whether or not you should take advantage of this bug is an ethical issue. I recommend that you just equip all your best (non-indestructible) items before hitting a hidden shrine (if you are a rogue, equip your trusty bow, otherwise equip your shield and one-handed weapon, unless you are playing some sort of warrior or mage variant who uses a two-handed weapon to reduce his effectiveness) . In the long run, this will work to your benefit (unless you have a really good shield and don't play constantly ;) ).
[right][snapback]109756[/snapback][/right]
I'm playing a mage (why would i use a Thinking Cap otherwhise? :P) anyway, i don't care about the staffs dur (it doessn't take any dmg anyway) so i will just equip a random junk shield togheter with the best other stuff i got (so far the shield has taken all negative dur)
You can reverse the two handz... shield on the left slot (right hand) and mace on the right slot (left hand) (((why mace? in my whole experience I found more powerful maces than swords...:)))
Good night.
Spinal,May 12 2006, 07:59 PM Wrote:I'm playing a mage (why would i use a Thinking Cap otherwhise? :P)
[right][snapback]109757[/snapback][/right]

Actually, a thinking cap is a pretty nice helm for a rogue. Spells are so overpowered in Diablo that even a warrior does well as a magic-using 'turtle-mage'.